HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Beagle (any news?) update: no concussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
no, I am saying I have my own opinion.....regardless of his.

the point is, this technique of "player X says agrees with me, he plays NHL hockey, you do not...so that makes me correct"

Alzner said the fans were "classless". He has played pro hockey in just about every city....so Pitt fans are classless. He would know, right?
I don't understand what you are upset with. That Beagle dropped the gloves after he hit Letang beneath the chin(may have been sold)? Or the fact that Asham made unnecessary gestures after the fight was over, of which he apologized? Or perhaps it was the 'classless' fans of Pittsburgh?

Old
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post
one thing I haven't heard brought up yet is the fact that beagle was fighting with a visor on. I didn't think you were allowed to fight with a visor on, and to me it looked like asham smashed the visor into beagle's nose, and that is what did most of the damage. if i recall correctly, i think the few fights crosby has been in he actually took a second to take off his helmet for that specfic reason.
so not only should Beagle (or any player, to be clear) have to be ready to fight for simply returning a couple shoves.....he should have to take his helmet off?

maybe because it was his 1st NHL fight....was worried about another concussion...or some other reason

and for me, this isnt a Caps/Pens thing. I like Asham as a player and unlike others that dont seem to care about his post game follow up, I thought he meant it and it seems sincere. My entire point is this "OMG he disrespected our player by touching him" is nonsense and needs to stop. NO it has not always been like that....sure, its happened but the last couple years things like that have gotten out of hand IMO. Hockey players used to be tough and could, you know, take a hit...or at least a shove...then, get this....deliver a hit in return

I guess I grew up with Ali, Frazier, Shavers, Norton....this is the MMA generation, and im not

Old
10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I don't understand what you are upset with. That Beagle dropped the gloves after he hit Letang beneath the chin(may have been sold)? Or the fact that Asham made unnecessary gestures after the fight was over, of which he apologized? Or perhaps it was the 'classless' fans of Pittsburgh?
It's the fact that Beagle had to fight Asham because Letang is a little *****. And then the way the fans acted towards Beagle.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
Boy it didn't take long for this thread to turn sour.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Mothra

Quote:
i never said they were classless...Alzner did...but, he plays NHL hockey, you dont, he has played all over the continent, you have not...so his opinion must be correct, right?

i detail my feelings below....just tired of seeing the pansy players not being able to take a hit/shove anymore...regardless of which team or which player

Old
10-14-2011, 09:54 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I came here for an injury update as well. Turns out this thread is more of a moratorium of the entire incident though.

If anyone has any information about the state of Mr. Beagle or any news at all really, please post a link. Looked like he got hit with a line drive.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
i never said they were classless...Alzner did...but, he plays NHL hockey, you dont, he has played all over the continent, you have not...so his opinion must be correct, right?

i detail my feelings below....just tired of seeing the pansy players not being able to take a hit/shove anymore...regardless of which team or which player
His opinion certainly holds more value than mine, would you disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19
It's the fact that Beagle had to fight Asham because Letang is a little *****. And then the way the fans acted towards Beagle.
I don't like the way the fans handled it either. I'd like to know how you feel about DJ King fighting Orr because Orr checked Ovie.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
capsfn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You don't recall correctly.
fair enough, but I know I have seen it before were the guys take off their helmet cause they have a visor on. Either way though it isnt a good idea to fight with a visor on and kind of beagle's own fault for not trying to take his helmet off before the fight. hope he is alright though

Old
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
capsfn95

Quote:
so not only should Beagle (or any player, to be clear) have to be ready to fight for simply returning a couple shoves.....he should have to take his helmet off?

maybe because it was his 1st NHL fight....was worried about another concussion...or some other reason

and for me, this isnt a Caps/Pens thing. I like Asham as a player and unlike others that dont seem to care about his post game follow up, I thought he meant it and it seems sincere. My entire point is this "OMG he disrespected our player by touching him" is nonsense and needs to stop. NO it has not always been like that....sure, its happened but the last couple years things like that have gotten out of hand IMO. Hockey players used to be tough and could, you know, take a hit...or at least a shove...then, get this....deliver a hit in return

I guess I grew up with Ali, Frazier, Shavers, Norton....this is the MMA generation, and im not
as stupid as it sounds you dont want to fight with a visor on for your own safety. get a visor slammed into your face can do a lot of damage. if you want to argue which is safer, fighting with your helmet on or off go ahead, in my opinion you would be better served taking your helmet off if you have a visor and are about to get in a fight.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Yeah Beags pretty much got smoked. I have no problem with the fight, the reason for it, or the gestures afterward. The fans probably should have stopped cheering when the medical personnel came out, but I'm over it. Solid PR move by Asham after the game. Now just see how Beagle is doing. No retaliation or suspension necessary.

Side note, up 2-1 in the 3rd on the road is a bad spot to fight.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Mothra

Quote:
His opinion certainly holds more value than mine, would you disagree?
not necessarily....if it were specifics about playing D in the NHL, yes.

I just dont assume that sticking a mic in a guys face after a game is going to get his true opinion. I'm not sure you get it in interviews. If I were to sit down with one of these guys and talk I would feel more sure about what I was hearing, in terms of their real opinions.

people often point to the fact that players arent openly campaigning against fighting as evidence that "all players want it in the game". I dont believe that for a second. I also cant imagine the backlash if they spoke out against it. Look at the Nilan thing. All he said was fighting isnt what it used to be (its not BTW) and that if the NHL wants to get rid of it they should......he got crushed for it..."turncoat" "puke"..Nilan of all people. Cant imagine why active players dont speak out against it..anyway, thats all OT

Old
10-14-2011, 10:13 AM
MoJoSauce

Back to the injury update. Katie Carrera tweeted last night that he was walking around the locker room with a big bag of ice on his face. So I assume it isn't terribly bad. I dont think he broke his jaw or any orbital bones but it certainly looked like he broke his nose last night and he pulled out a tooth so he will need some dental work.

He should miss a few games but will be fine. Looks like we will be seeing more of MP85 or DJ King in the lineup while he heals.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Oldskool

Glad to hear that Beags' okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Back to the injury update. Katie Carrera tweeted last night that he was walking around the locker room with a big bag of ice on his face. So I assume it isn't terribly bad. I dont think he broke his jaw or any orbital bones but it certainly looked like he broke his nose last night and he pulled out a tooth so he will need some dental work.

He should miss a few games but will be fine. Looks like we will be seeing more of MP85 or DJ King in the lineup while he heals.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Get better, Beags.

Last edited by Langway: 10-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 10:51 AM
txpd

Beagle had to fight because of something that may have been sold??? R u kidding? Letang started that and gothis helmet pushed off his head.

Was asham really fighting to spark his team and the push to letang as good a reason as any to start something? Maybe so.

I will say this. More and more nhl fights end like that in concussion. With the nhl tryying to cut down on concussions delivering another one just spark your team is probably going away and asham only helped with the silly display afterward

Old
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Predatials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yeah Beags pretty much got smoked. I have no problem with the fight, the reason for it, or the gestures afterward. The fans probably should have stopped cheering when the medical personnel came out, but I'm over it. Solid PR move by Asham after the game. Now just see how Beagle is doing. No retaliation or suspension necessary.

Side note, up 2-1 in the 3rd on the road is a bad spot to fight.
THIS^ Beagle needs to skate over to the box and server his minor, not engage the road teams tough guy and give them any chance for momentum. No retaliation is necessary.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:27 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
If someone was ****ing around with Green, you would expect a response, no? It's how it is, you defend your star players, and you send a message. Tell me, what did you think of King fighting Orr after he took a run at Ovechkin? You're telling me you didn't like the fact that King stood up for his teammate? I don't like what Asham did after the fight, he got caught up in the adrenaline and emotions and did something stupid, he apologized after it. If you had 17,000 cheering you on, and all you did was fight, I think it's understandable that you might want to do a little celebration after. He probably didn't know how bad the injury was either.
Btw, I'm not a Pens fan, in fact I hate the Pens, they kill my Sabres everytime. You guys won the game anyway.
People need to stop running around and copying/pasting their response from a minute after it went down. Most people are ok with Asham at this point. He messed up but he stepped up and did the right thing afterwards. Most of us are pissed off at what a ***** Letang is and how awful the refs are for not calling a text book instigator penalty.

Having your very loose helmet knocked off is not the same as a goon running your all star. If it were the exact same situation except Green instead of Letang, I would be ultra pissed because King or whoever would be giving up a PP opportunity if the refs weren't ****ing retarded and made the CORRECT Instigator call.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
that's a hell of a punch.

wish beagle well and quick recovery.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
SameOld

Good to hear. Hope he stays symptom free.

SWhyno Stephen Whyno
Bruce: "fat lip" for Beagle but otherwise OK. No concussion symptoms. #Caps

Old
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

Not getting into a pissing contest, me personally I have more issues with Letang then I do with Asham. No one forced Beagle to fight imo. I'm proud he stepped up against AA and didnt back down. Least with AA, he didn't do anything dirty, just used bad judgement with the gestures in the heat of the moment.

Letang on the other hand, ****ing man up and dont be a *********. I have tons of respect for him as a player and his skills but wtf be a ****ing man. Beagle didnt do anything cheap or dirty imho.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
floridaleafsfan

anyone notice how asham stopped beagle's head from hitting the ice?

Old
10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaleafsfan View Post
anyone notice how asham stopped beagle's head from hitting the ice?
I noticed that, too. I have no idea if that was intentional or not but that surely prevented further damage.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Prattio

On the Letang thing

Yea mabye he sold that roughing penalty but whatever players do that all the time. I didnt see him asking Asham to stand up for him all I saw was a guy who makes a living in the NHL being a tough guy and it was an appropriot time for him to fight. So im not sure how Ashams actions make Letang a *****. The pens are a tough team and if you mess with their stars theres more than a few guys who are willing to fight so be prepared for it. Props to beagle for droppin gloves.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM
NeilYoung

Is anyone not outraged with Beagle?

Someone touched poor little Letang

Old
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
NeilYoung

Since Crosbys not using his special no contact helmet anymore, they should let Letang use it

Closed Thread