HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beagle (any news?) update: no concussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
I honestly can't remember one time where one of the caps tough guys fought a non-fighter for shoving one of the Caps' stars....

But that's not to say that I don't want it to happen and I'm upset with Asham's decision to try to fight.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Atlas

Beagle probably got caught up the excitement and lost his good sense. He volunteered to fight a really good fighter. And he decided to fight with a visor. Really dumb but I guess he wanted to impress Bruce, McPhee and Ted and his teammates. Hope he's ok and learns from it.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Much ado about nothing. If this happened in MMA, no one would care. They allow fighting. Hockey does too. Both guys volunteered for battle.

I used to think Asham would be a good pickup. Intentional or not, players are weary about messing with him, and will be less likely to mess with a pretty boy like Letang after last night. Maybe not all players, so lets just say Beagle today, and a few other caps.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think it's a deterrent. If anything, Beagle knows better than taking on a decent fighter in the NHL.

Players get paid to take runs and try to stir things up with the 'better players'. Beagle knows if he wants to stay in the lineup, he needs to make a mark on the club. Not letting Letang push you around, trying to stir him up, showing that compete is how he is going to be able to stay in it.

Most aren't going to be as stupid as taking the offering Asham gave, and just head to the bench. Cooke has made a living on doing just the same. Jaw and play cheap, duck the piper until you can't anymore.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prattio View Post
On the Letang thing

Yea mabye he sold that roughing penalty but whatever players do that all the time. I didnt see him asking Asham to stand up for him all I saw was a guy who makes a living in the NHL being a tough guy and it was an appropriot time for him to fight. So im not sure how Ashams actions make Letang a *****. The pens are a tough team and if you mess with their stars theres more than a few guys who are willing to fight so be prepared for it. Props to beagle for droppin gloves.
The Pens are not a tough team. They have Asham, Engelland, maybe Orpik and maybe Adams. Quite frankly the more of a star you are on the Pens the more of a ***** you are, but give them credit for following their captain.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
floridaleafsfan

as a neutral party:

respect to beagle for sticking up for letang
respect to beagle for taking on a tough guy
respect to asham for his fighting prowess
respect to asham for preventing beagles head from hitting ice
minus respect to asham for his sleep gesture

Old
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yeah Beags pretty much got smoked. I have no problem with the fight, the reason for it, or the gestures afterward. The fans probably should have stopped cheering when the medical personnel came out, but I'm over it. Solid PR move by Asham after the game. Now just see how Beagle is doing. No retaliation or suspension necessary.

Side note, up 2-1 in the 3rd on the road is a bad spot to fight.
Why is anyone still talking after this guy nailed it so well?

Old
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I honestly can't remember one time where one of the caps tough guys fought a non-fighter for shoving one of the Caps' stars....

But that's not to say that I don't want it to happen and I'm upset with Asham's decision to try to fight.
some would remind us of Bradley jumping in to fight for Ovy...you do say non-fighter i guess....

Old
10-14-2011, 02:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

It will be interesting to see how the caps react if it's a deterrent or not. Or if it's an escalation.

Personally. The next time letang starts cross checking you in the back just drop your gloves and swing as many times. Enough people do that to him then maybe he'll answer for himself. Don't go light on the guy. You go light, you fight ansham and get extra 2 min. You come back blazing and you get to pummel a turtle and get 5 or maybe a double rough. Much depends on situation. But situational awareness on the caps is lacking from its coach, it's captain, and all the way down.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
some would remind us of Bradley jumping in to fight for Ovy...you do say non-fighter i guess....
Exactly. I'm talking about exact circumstances. To compare that downie-ovi incident it would have to be letang about to square off with erksine and someone jumping in.

Caps players typically just watch semin take a slash or ovy taking a cross check to the face. It's been a huge issue of mine with our fourth line in the past and why I wanted asham since before he went to Pitt.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
HSHS you are a bit old school there, but I support it. But it just doesnt happen often now with the instigator.

Grab LeWang, and punch him with the gloved fist a few times. Dont let go. Make his life unpleasant, and avoid the other teams chief punk who you have no beef with.

Anyone that comes in gets a game. No instigator. Usually, the refs even it up, and if play it smart and dont throw may punches, may even end up with a PP.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
NeilYoung

Was wondering who would replace talbot on the pens looks like the great letang stepped up

Old
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Pittsburgh was aware who the Caps were dressing last night and who they weren't. Of all the Caps that were dressed last night, Beagle was the closest that we had to an "enforcer". No King or Erskine available, teams like the Penguins notice this and will use it to their advantage. If Erskine and/or King are dressed next time around, I doubt that the Pens will be willing to take such liberties, i.e. the Esrkine/Rupp duel at the WC.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Pittsburgh was aware who the Caps were dressing last night and who they weren't. Of all the Caps that were dressed last night, Beagle was the closest that we had to an "enforcer". No King or Erskine available, teams like the Penguins notice this and will use it to their advantage. If Erskine and/or King are dressed next time around, I doubt that the Pens will be willing to take such liberties, i.e. the Esrkine/Rupp duel at the WC.
Pretty sure hendricks is a lot more of an enforcer than beags

Old
10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how the caps react if it's a deterrent or not. Or if it's an escalation.

Personally. The next time letang starts cross checking you in the back just drop your gloves and swing as many times. Enough people do that to him then maybe he'll answer for himself. Don't go light on the guy. You go light, you fight ansham and get extra 2 min. You come back blazing and you get to pummel a turtle and get 5 or maybe a double rough. Much depends on situation. But situational awareness on the caps is lacking from its coach, it's captain, and all the way down.
Is Trevor Gillies still employed?

Old
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Perhaps Beagle agreed to fight hoping Asham would get an instigator penalty and therefore negate Beagle's own minor?

Old
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Pretty sure hendricks is a lot more of an enforcer than beags
I should of clarified it and said an intimidator. Hendricks is not shy about going at it, but he doesn't intimidate. You need to have someone out there that the opposition does not want to go with and thus backs off of your players due to the fear of the repercussions from the intimidator. I give you Wendell Clark and Doug Gilmour as exhibit A., Canucks make runs at Gilmour, Clark advises Canucks that if it continued that he would take care of Pavel Bure. The runs stopped.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
The Pens are not a tough team. They have Asham, Engelland, maybe Orpik and maybe Adams. Quite frankly the more of a star you are on the Pens the more of a ***** you are, but give them credit for following their captain.
I think you are forgetting MacIntyre, but i agree with the rest of the statement.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
txpd

* Letang feels empowered to employ a little cheap sandpaper on beagle because the referees had shown no interest in calling a penalty on the penguins. letang can feel comfortable with this because its a lenthy trend in pitt v wash games. i dont think anyone has mentioned that yet.

* apparantly asham wasnt actually sticking up for letang. he was looking for a fight for tactical purposes to try and get the caps into the game. past game he makes no mention of letang and beagle. just wanting to spark his bench. this kind of fight is what punches a hole most defense of fighting. most fighting in the nhl is offensive and not defensive.

* the idea that the MMA and the NHL are on a par is ridiculous!! the nhl is a hockey league. the mma is a fighting association. if you want to watch fighting, watch mma.

* Asham, i have no issue with his fight. his playing to the crowd was disrectful.

* Getting even. Honestly Ovechkin's ability to provide and retribution is far more fearsome and far more dangersous to the penguins than anything that king can bring. if boudreau wants to dress kind and king and asham throwdown, thats fine. if ovechkin feels his team was slighted, he is a barracuda swimming in the same waters as the defenseless flightless birdies. Who's to know now who Ovechkin my runover like a dump truck in the next game. Perfectly legal and all, but do you think the Pens really want 8 with a radar lock on 87 or 71 or 58? Leave Asham out of it.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
Yeah dude, we all did our background check on Jay Beagle before we went to the game, noted that he has a history of concussion problems, and applauded and cheered them when he got Knocked the **** out....

We definitely weren't cheering because we witnessed and awesome knockout DURING A FIGHT...no fan base has ever done that before...

Also, wittle wetang has dropped the gloves quite a bit in the past to know that he's not a chicken ****...

Asham seen an opportunity to spark his team, that was down 2-1 in the third period, with a fight. That's why he was resigned by the Pens.. If Beagle didn't want to fight Asham, he could have skated away..
That's OK, we'll just make Cindy's future brain autopsy a little more positive for findings of chronic traumatic encephalopathy

Old
10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Exactly. I'm talking about exact circumstances. To compare that downie-ovi incident it would have to be letang about to square off with erksine and someone jumping in.

Caps players typically just watch semin take a slash or ovy taking a cross check to the face. It's been a huge issue of mine with our fourth line in the past and why I wanted asham since before he went to Pitt.
If Asham came to the Caps I would spit on him if I saw him on a DC street. No thanks to that ******* here, we can win a Stanley Cup without him.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Think this one has run its course.