HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Kevin O, seriously???

Old
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Lol I wonder how that dude will look at their weekend. Went 0-1-2. Blew a game in Toronto badly. I think it's more on the players than the heads that be if you wanna blame that team for being 3-3-2.

The only reason they are in 1st adsfan is cause they have played the most games. That division is looking somewhat weak tho.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
We're not talking diehard fans here or anyone feeling "entitled", and neither is Kevin O. He's talking about winning back fans who have disappeared over the years. Won't do that by losing games even if the Sabres own the team.

3 games do matter. It's about capitalizing on the buzz throughout the city. I live here and trust me it's the highest I've seen it since the lockout year. If the team starts off slow you're going to lose it. They already lost some of it with a horrific loss in front of a full arena.

Plus, they've already lost their number 1 center for good who does need to be replaced so some moves do need to be made.
Quote:
Was his comment even incorrect though? And who cares anyway? So you disagree with him. I think he has enough experience with the league and covering the Amerks to get a pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Lol I wonder how that dude will look at their weekend. Went 0-1-2. Blew a game in Toronto badly. I think it's more on the players than the heads that be if you wanna blame that team for being 3-3-2.

The only reason they are in 1st adsfan is cause they have played the most games. That division is looking somewhat weak tho.
This is all so funny. When the Amerks started of so well a little while ago, people did not attend the games because they said they hated florida and wanted buffalo back. Winning in rochester didn't help attendance. The sabres coming back didn't help attendance. Maybe moving the team to Germany would help attendance!!!

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
This is all so funny. When the Amerks started of so well a little while ago, people did not attend the games because they said they hated florida and wanted buffalo back. Winning in rochester didn't help attendance. The sabres coming back didn't help attendance. Maybe moving the team to Germany would help attendance!!!
They are lucky they are no longer locally owned. Their owner has billions of dollars or whatever he can afford to **** away here.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
When the Amerks started 18-3 they had good crowds and huge walk up lines. Then they played sub .500 hockey the rest of the way and ruined whatever chance they had to build on it.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:47 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
When the Amerks started 18-3 they had good crowds and huge walk up lines. Then they played sub .500 hockey the rest of the way and ruined whatever chance they had to build on it.
So basically you are saying that Rochester fans are basically fair weather fans that will only support the team when they are winning?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
So basically you are saying that Rochester fans are basically fair weather fans that will only support the team when they are winning?
I don't think that characterization is very fair. There are very few franchises in any sport, pro or minor pro, that will sell out when the team sucks. I can think of a few, but most fanbases thin out when the winning stops.

10-25-2011, 09:24 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I don't think that characterization is very fair. There are very few franchises in any sport, pro or minor pro, that will sell out when the team sucks. I can think of a few, but most fanbases thin out when the winning stops.
True but whoever said anything about selling out? I forget how many the BCA seats, I wanna say maybe 10,000(I coulda looked it up on the directory i'm sure but as i've learned from the ECHL those figures are almost always inaccurate to what the truth is)

In this day and age for sure I would say that is really big. Not everyone is Hershey but would they stop supporting in hershey in a given year if the team was dreadful? It's been so long that would be tough to tell. I also don't know what it's like economically down there.

I think the economy easily plays a role here. I'm not gunna predict what the economy is like in Rochester because I really don't care and I don't know off the top of my head anyway but I know as a whole here in Upstate NY it has sucked for the past few years. However anyway I think these days people are penny pinchers as opposed to the 90's. Rightfully so. Why would one wanna spend money on a **** product. It's called entertainment, you want to be entertained and most losing teams aren't entertaining. With that being the case you will find better things to spend your hard earned bucks on. However there is a difference between decent crowds and sellouts. Sellouts in minor league hockey now on the reg are far less than a decade ago. We had more franchises in the pool back then but also the profucts were more entertaining/better. The AHL/ECHL product has gradually gotten worse the last decade. Too much emphasis on development. What good is that for the fans? If you have season seats you hardly get your money's worth. The NHL has ruined minor league hockey. It's too bad you won't see another AHL/IHL type of a scenario. I think that would improve the product and would kill off some of the emphasis being all about development.

Old
10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
There's a difference between thinning out and attendance going down nearly 50%.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
What was pointless is Kevin O writing a piece saying after 1 home game that if things don't improve that the Amerks would be playing in front of another "dead, lifeless arena". There was no need to write such a statement at that point in time.

Where is his piece today saying that if things are as exciting as the 7-2 win last night that the fans will come back in droves?
You're acting like Kevin O himself feels like this. he's just saying what's going to happen, not that he agrees with it.

And like Sabre fan said, he was right on the money in what will happen if that keeps up.

I personally think the Amerks will be fine this year.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:52 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
You're acting like Kevin O himself feels like this. he's just saying what's going to happen, not that he agrees with it.

And like Sabre fan said, he was right on the money in what will happen if that keeps up.

I personally think the Amerks will be fine this year.
I'm not acting like that is how he feels. I just think it's ridiculous to even write such a thing 2 games into the season.

Old
10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
I'm not acting like that is how he feels. I just think it's ridiculous to even write such a thing 2 games into the season.
True. But when your team has lost more than they have won recently, fans have less patience. I read the article like a prediction. And he's right. If it was to go like that for month, the fans would bail. I don't understand your problem with the article.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
True. But when your team has lost more than they have won recently, fans have less patience. I read the article like a prediction. And he's right. If it was to go like that for month, the fans would bail. I don't understand your problem with the article.
I read the article like a threat to the new ownership, the same new ownership that the fans of Rochester couldn't wait to have back.

Sorry, but winning is not guaranteed in sports at any level. Losing is part of supporting a team. However, Rochester has not "lost more than they have won recently". Since the 1999-2000 season they have made the playoffs 6 times (not including the 2 seasons with the qualifying rounds) and have had 8 seasons with a winning record. Some cities would be thrilled with that.

But, again, IMO no reason in the world to make the statement that he did 2 games in.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I read the article like a threat to the new ownership, the same new ownership that the fans of Rochester couldn't wait to have back.

Sorry, but winning is not guaranteed in sports at any level. Losing is part of supporting a team. However, Rochester has not "lost more than they have won recently". Since the 1999-2000 season they have made the playoffs 6 times (not including the 2 seasons with the qualifying rounds) and have had 8 seasons with a winning record. Some cities would be thrilled with that.

But, again, IMO no reason in the world to make the statement that he did 2 games in.
Man, it's Upstate NY people. We are generally a grumpy bunch. I can't explain it, I just live it. We are never happy. LOL

But I agree with you. This other guy is making it sound like he had to write that. Um, wasn't it a blog article? The last I checked blogs are merely opinions. I think this is more of the guys opinion more than saying what will happen. You can't be so syre on what will happen. I look at it as more of a threat.

Old
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Man, it's Upstate NY people. We are generally a grumpy bunch. I can't explain it, I just live it. We are never happy. LOL
I'd blame it on all the snow. When you have either just experienced it, or know it is coming again, I'd be grumpy, too.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

But I agree with you. This other guy is making it sound like he had to write that. Um, wasn't it a blog article? The last I checked blogs are merely opinions. I think this is more of the guys opinion more than saying what will happen. You can't be so syre on what will happen. I look at it as more of a threat.
what has exactly changed in Rochester since the Rigas collapse....... all we heard was Buffalo kept resigning only 1 year retainers and kept complaining about Rochester wanting more autonomy to be more independent, something that just doesn't happen under most PDC's than it used to be..... it's a wonder Rochester still has the 2nd oldest franchise operating in the AHL, BC it came awful close that there wouldn't have been a 50th season the year the Sabres said afterwards, they were done there..... then they still complained once they left and Florida was there

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:

I haven't lived near Rochester in years, but the dude is a blogger. Who can he threaten? Is he the most powerful blogger on the planet? It's some guys opinion, who really cares?

Old
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
adsfan

Quote:
You sound like my wife. She is from Upstate New York!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:40 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
what has exactly changed in Rochester since the Rigas collapse....... all we heard was Buffalo kept resigning only 1 year retainers and kept complaining about Rochester wanting more autonomy to be more independent, something that just doesn't happen under most PDC's than it used to be..... it's a wonder Rochester still has the 2nd oldest franchise operating in the AHL, BC it came awful close that there wouldn't have been a 50th season the year the Sabres said afterwards, they were done there..... then they still complained once they left and Florida was there
Ahh, can't please everyone. When you've been around so long I think you forget how different things are versus way back when. Even like 15-20 years ago it was vastly different then it is now. Always a developmental league, yes. However it's gone to more about development than winning. There used to be a fine balance. I guess the fans of Rochester can't accept that well enough cause they were used to "winning". Being locally owned makes it somewhat easier to win on your own terms but it's still nothing like it once was. Granted they won the majority of their cups when the league was as big as the IHL2.0, I wonder though if Hershey would start crabbing if they had a few not so good years though. thats always been in the back of mind. However, let's take a place like WBS. Team has never been locally owned and arrived around the time when it became cool to name the AHL team after the NHL team and such. The team has always been in it more for development than winning obviously. However having said that they've developed really nicely. However for a good portion of their early existence up until that NHL Lockout ended the Pitt Penguins sucked so they ended up with some decent players for awhile. Stinking for awhile can have a nice long term firward benefit. Now the Penguins are stacked. Some of this stuff runs in cycles I think though.

Quote:
I haven't lived near Rochester in years, but the dude is a blogger. Who can he threaten? Is he the most powerful blogger on the planet? It's some guys opinion, who really cares?
Thought he wrote newspaper articles as well? I think you're taking my idea a bit too much. Does the guy have any power? No. But in a sense that does seem like a threat of a sort. However, who says that is what will happen? It's just a thought. It just seems way too early in the whole thing to make any rash judgement. It's flippin October. Not every team is gunna get off to a hot start. Hell, if you wanna get technical nobody is undefeated anymore. The league is looking close so far. Isn't it enough just to have a decent team that is competitive? Step up from last year. like mentioned before overall they had a decent 2000's that many places would pine for. I guss they have this perception that they are special and should be bigger and better than rest of the league. Just cause you've been around for like 100 years(sarcasm with the number)doesn't mean you deserve or are entitled to a winning team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
You sound like my wife. She is from Upstate New York!
I'm not sure if I should feel insulted or what. Probably not because I don't plan on making myself a life long state resident, not a fan at all.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

My point is, it's one guy's opinion. You could probably find plenty of blogs just like this by other bloggers all over the country. The guy can't threaten anybody. it's his opinion, and if they do play like that all year, his opinion is probably correct. My opinion is the Amerks will be fine this year.

This whole threat thing like he's going to lead a pack of angry fans down Monroe ave is much more ridiculous than his blog.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
My point is, it's one guy's opinion. You could probably find plenty of blogs just like this by other bloggers all over the country. The guy can't threaten anybody. it's his opinion, and if they do play like that all year, his opinion is probably correct. My opinion is the Amerks will be fine this year.

This whole threat thing like he's going to lead a pack of angry fans down Monroe ave is much more ridiculous than his blog.
Obviously I don't think this guy would be doing anything physically himself here. I just think it's a huge over-reaction after a couple of games. It's kibda like sticking the finger at the new management. I just think it's no big deal and way too early for anyone to jump the gun.

BTW...Nystrom was offsides.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Ahh, can't please everyone. When you've been around so long I think you forget how different things are versus way back when. Even like 15-20 years ago it was vastly different then it is now. Always a developmental league, yes. However it's gone to more about development than winning. There used to be a fine balance. I guess the fans of Rochester can't accept that well enough cause they were used to "winning". Being locally owned makes it somewhat easier to win on your own terms but it's still nothing like it once was. Granted they won the majority of their cups when the league was as big as the IHL2.0, I wonder though if Hershey would start crabbing if they had a few not so good years though. thats always been in the back of mind. However, let's take a place like WBS. Team has never been locally owned and arrived around the time when it became cool to name the AHL team after the NHL team and such. The team has always been in it more for development than winning obviously. However having said that they've developed really nicely. However for a good portion of their early existence up until that NHL Lockout ended the Pitt Penguins sucked so they ended up with some decent players for awhile. Stinking for awhile can have a nice long term firward benefit. Now the Penguins are stacked. Some of this stuff runs in cycles I think though.

Thought he wrote newspaper articles as well? I think you're taking my idea a bit too much. Does the guy have any power? No. But in a sense that does seem like a threat of a sort. However, who says that is what will happen? It's just a thought. It just seems way too early in the whole thing to make any rash judgement. It's flippin October. Not every team is gunna get off to a hot start. Hell, if you wanna get technical nobody is undefeated anymore. The league is looking close so far. Isn't it enough just to have a decent team that is competitive? Step up from last year. like mentioned before overall they had a decent 2000's that many places would pine for. I guss they have this perception that they are special and should be bigger and better than rest of the league. Just cause you've been around for like 100 years(sarcasm with the number)doesn't mean you deserve or are entitled to a winning team.

I'm not sure if I should feel insulted or what. Probably not because I don't plan on making myself a life long state resident, not a fan at all.
try again, GMR, Never use Hershey as an example to make any point about our league...... history states that other markets can be targets for relocation, the one constant, by definitive rule.... Hershey isn't allowed to change names or be subject to rumors or even speculation of relocation due to the Trust tht governed the Bears, and why to this day, Hershey is wht it has become, tht's how influential Milton Hershey is revered in that community.... tht is why you don't see a name change....

The Bears are the oldest, consistently operated minor league franchise in the contiguous US, only trailing the 6 original NHL Franchises, the only one that has had a single, constant, owner, whether it was Mr. Hershey, or the Trust.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
try again, GMR, Never use Hershey as an example to make any point about our league...... history states that other markets can be targets for relocation, the one constant, by definitive rule.... Hershey isn't allowed to change names or be subject to rumors or even speculation of relocation due to the Trust tht governed the Bears, and why to this day, Hershey is wht it has become, tht's how influential Milton Hershey is revered in that community.... tht is why you don't see a name change....

The Bears are the oldest, consistently operated minor league franchise in the contiguous US, only trailing the 6 original NHL Franchises, the only one that has had a single, constant, owner, whether it was Mr. Hershey, or the Trust.
I mentioned nothing of a rumor, a relocation or anything else. I simply asked what if the Bears sucked consistently for like 5-10 years. Would everythng be all peachy? Would they still get the same support. My point is, i'd like to see them fall on hard times for awhile to see the results from it.

So your telling me as long as theres an AHL, no matter the circumstances....Hershey will have a team?

Old
10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I mentioned nothing of a rumor, a relocation or anything else. I simply asked what if the Bears sucked consistently for like 5-10 years. Would everythng be all peachy? Would they still get the same support. My point is, i'd like to see them fall on hard times for awhile to see the results from it.

So your telling me as long as theres an AHL, no matter the circumstances....Hershey will have a team?
yes.

Old
10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
adsfan

Quote:

Rochester has 8 points in 8 games. Toronto has 11 points in 7 games. I saw the Marlies playing at Rochester last season, they didn't look weak. LEM has 5 points in 9 games and is being outscored 2 to 1. Hamilton has 6 points in 5 games.

They only strong looking division at the moment is the East, with three teams in double digit points.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Hamilton wins 3-2 in OT! Louis Leblanc wins it in his pro debut. Lol @ the Hamilton Broadcaster. Guys a trip. His antics make me chuckle. Thats now 0-1-3 in the last 4 games for the Americans. Hamilton having only played 5 games is just a point back. Alright. whens the next blog coming by this goody looking kevin guy, he's gotta have something to say. Though every game they lost they could have won, so it's on the players IMO. Not like they are getting blown out or anything.