HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais...

Old
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
He has the skillset we need but he is yet another in a long line of too small forwards on this team.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:24 PM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
He has the skillset we need but he is yet another in a long line of too small forwards on this team.
His size, or lack of, doesn't change the fact that he's an excellent asset to have on the PP, and who can also contribute 5 on 5 and on the PK.

And now with Eller, Paccioretty, Cole, Moen and Kostitsyn, we have 2 strong 5 on 5 lines, so our lack of size is less an issue.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:47 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
His size, or lack of, doesn't change the fact that he's an excellent asset to have on the PP, and who can also contribute 5 on 5 and on the PK.

And now with Eller, Paccioretty, Cole, Moen and Kostitsyn, we have 2 strong 5 on 5 lines, so our lack of size is less an issue.
He gets overpowered just like Cams does size does matter.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

His PP play disappoints me. He plays the game like he's playing EA Sports. Tries to force feed the puck through the crease.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You put whatever makes the team win. At this moment, DD is better offensively and Eller better defensively. Would it make sense to put Eller in an offensive position, when he's not ready and DD in a shutdown position when he's not capable? That's not success.

Okay and if Eller is our 2nd line center now, our team is in trouble too. He's no offensive dynamo either. Again, this isn't a matter of where they will be in 4 years. Right now, we have plekanec, eller and DD was top 3 centers. You play to their strenghts. No sane person has those expectations for DD, but it's funny to see the expectations for Eller because he's 'big'. Eller and DD BOTH have 2nd line potential. Please, no first line ******** for either because they don't have the complete package for it. Eller for offense and DD is lacking in defense.

Right now, we need both to compliment and fill in holes. We're missing a true 2nd line center. DD is filling in and may become one later, but to be true contenders, Eller nor DD can fill that role.
Well DD being better offensively than Eller remains to be seen. DD is certainly being put in position to succeed offensively where Eller isn't.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
That's an easy answer. Tell us why atleast ?
Do you ever post anything of value or do you just find the most irrelevant post in threads and then quote it?

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
29dryden29

I would love to see Weiss in place of DD Weiss is only 5'11" 191 but that is a good 4+ inches on DD

Old
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
canadiens1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I would love to see Weiss in place of DD Weiss is only 5'11" 191 but that is a good 4+ inches on DD
I thought I was alone thinking about this... Right now, his value is high though.

canadiens1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:29 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

DD plays with two tough wingers and the total physicality quotient on the line is just fine IMO.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:49 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't buy it. I'm comfortable with a 1-2-3 punch of Desharnais, Eller, and Plekanec.

Leblanc could steal one of those spots (likely DD), but he still has a lot to prove at the pro level as well. He's off to a great start though in Hamilton.

Either way, I think DD has a future here. At the very least until he makes this value worth enough to trade for something worth while.

If we seriously make another Sergei Kostitsyn for Dustin Boyd type trade with Desharnais, I'll lose my mind.
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Kostitsyn - Eller - Kristo
Bournival - DD - Leblanc

Ain't that a great top9?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Kostitsyn - Eller - Kristo
Bournival - DD - Leblanc

Ain't that a great top9?
I really hope this isn't our Top-5 five years down the road. This would be an even more anemic scoring lines than the one we have this year. And this, even if Gallagher and Leblanc grows up to their full potential.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Well DD being better offensively than Eller remains to be seen. DD is certainly being put in position to succeed offensively where Eller isn't.
Remains to be seen? Is this a joke? DD clearly is better offensively(for now) and either way DD can't play shutdown, so if team wants a chance to win, this is how it is.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Aznrx8

Quote:
Remains to be seen? Is this a joke? DD clearly is better offensively(for now) and either way DD can't play shutdown, so if team wants a chance to win, this is how it is.
Playing an offensive role with powerplay minute and he as 13 points (3 of those are Power Play Points) and Eller playing a more defensive role and managing 7 points ( None on the powerplay) DD playing with mostly offensive player like Pac, Cam and Cole. Eller plays mostly with Moen, Darche, AK (Missed like 10 games) and Gomez. Eller creates a lot of chance for himself and the only reason he is not getting more point is his shot which he will have time to correct.

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:46 PM
bryan1966

I believe Eller should get his chance between Pax and Cole. He has better skills, more strength and speed. Desharnais is just week on his skates and on the puck. He cannot keep up with the pace of the game.

bryan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
Playing an offensive role with powerplay minute and he as 13 points (3 of those are Power Play Points) and Eller playing a more defensive role and managing 7 points ( None on the powerplay) DD playing with mostly offensive player like Pac, Cam and Cole. Eller plays mostly with Moen, Darche, AK (Missed like 10 games) and Gomez. Eller creates a lot of chance for himself and the only reason he is not getting more point is his shot which he will have time to correct.
Ah yes, our great PP is boosting DD's stats. Gotcha.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
pine

Quote:
Ah yes, our great PP is boosting DD's stats. Gotcha.
Yes, Desharnais has spent a lot more time on the powerplay than Eller. And the powerplay produces more goals per minute than if the play was at even-strength. So when you take those powerplay points out of consideration, it is much closer production wise.

DD with 10 points, Eller with 7. And Eller has played two less games while spending less time on the ice per game. However, we can't tell with 100% certitude that Eller would have put up more points if he had been put in DD's place, with 2 good wingers. But it still doesn't prevent me from dreaming of seeing a line of Pacioretty - Eller - Kostitsyn one day...beast.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Yes, Desharnais has spent a lot more time on the powerplay than Eller. And the powerplay produces more goals per minute than if the play was at even-strength. So when you take those powerplay points out of consideration, it is much closer production wise.

DD with 10, Eller with 7. And Eller has played two less games while spending less time on the ice per game. But we can't tell we 100% certitude that Eller would have put up more points if he had been put in DD's place, with 2 good wingers.

But it still doesn't prevent me from dreaming of seeing a line of Pacioretty - Eller - Kostitsyn one day...beast.
I have no issue with the reasoning, I just dislike the notion of throwing out DD's work because he's not Eller. DD is a better offensively forward than Eller, right now anyway. DD's #s in the AHL destroy Eller's. Yes, it's the AHL, fine but if we're looking at stats it's relevant. It's not to say Eller won't become better, but it seems pretty stupid IMO to throw DD under the bus because he's not Lars Eller. They are developing, Eller is younger and we'll see how it progresses, but offensively, despite 6 point spread, I feel DD has created more chances.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:10 PM
pine

Quote:
I have no issue with the reasoning, I just dislike the notion of throwing out DD's work because he's not Eller. DD is a better offensively forward than Eller, right now anyway. DD's #s in the AHL destroy Eller's. Yes, it's the AHL, fine but if we're looking at stats it's relevant. It's not to say Eller won't become better, but it seems pretty stupid IMO to throw DD under the bus because he's not Lars Eller. They are developing, Eller is younger and we'll see how it progresses, but offensively, despite 6 point spread, I feel DD has created more chances.
Wouldn't say destroy. In his 1st NA season, at the age of 20, Eller was pretty good. 1st in points with 57 in 70, 13 more points than the next in line. Again, there is nothing certain, but if he had played one more season down there, there's a good chance that he would have improved on those numbers. An older Desharnais put up 58 in 77 before ripping up the league the very next season with 78 in 60. No one is destroying anyone's stats.

Eller offensive game still has ways to go, but the potential is there.

Anyways, this Eller-DD is on its way to becoming the Price-Halak. Except we don't really have to choose one over the other.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiens1992 View Post
I thought I was alone thinking about this... Right now, his value is high though.
Nope not alone and certainly an upgrade over DD for sure.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
gillyguzzler

His journey to the NHL is still incredible. He's too small, he doesn't skate fast enough, he's not a scorer, he doesn't shoot enough... but somehow, he's succeeding at the highest level in hockey. I wouldn't bet on a long career in the NHL and yes, he's put in a position to succeed right now, but he's not a #1 or even a #2 center. Soon, Eller will be better and DD will be much less effective on the 3rd line without PP time. A lot depends on the tenure of Jacques Martin as the coach loves him. It may not be the same once JM is fired.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan1966 View Post
I believe Eller should get his chance between Pax and Cole. He has better skills, more strength and speed. Desharnais is just week on his skates and on the puck. He cannot keep up with the pace of the game.
But what makes DD succeed is his hockey sense and incredible passing ability. You can have someone who's a pure machine as far size, speed and and so forth and that person may not fit as far as chemistry with the other players. The key is to find the right kind of guys that fit together and DD with these two other guys works.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Milhouse40

The problem with DD : Long term

Face it!

DD = one tool.....offensive

If he don't give you some offensive, he's totally useless
The guy is barely able to play defensively
He's a zero.....no a minus five in thoughness
Almost always loose his battles
Not a scorer...but an awesome playmaker!

And it seems he's not that good on the powerplay either!

But he did produce so far......
As long as he keep producing, i don't mind

But still.....there ;a lot of center out there providing playmaking and thoughness......playmaking and scoring.........playmaking, scoring and defense....and the list goes on.

In the long-run, i want those type of players on my list!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The problem with DD : Long term

Face it!

DD = one tool.....offensive

If he don't give you some offensive, he's totally useless
The guy is barely able to play defensively
He's a zero.....no a minus five in thoughness
Almost always loose his battles
Not a scorer...but an awesome playmaker!

And it seems he's not that good on the powerplay either!

But he did produce so far......
As long as he keep producing, i don't mind

But still.....there ;a lot of center out there providing playmaking and thoughness......playmaking and scoring.........playmaking, scoring and defense....and the list goes on.

In the long-run, i want those type of players on my list!
Exactly, and if we want to be a competitive team down the road, there's no room for a guy like him. It's only fine now because we don't have anyone better, that's the sad truth of hockey in Montreal.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Do you ever post anything of value or do you just find the most irrelevant post in threads and then quote it?
Oh the irony.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I kind of see DD as Grabovski 2.0. Except I'd rather keep DD until he's a solidified NHLer like Grabovski is now before we ever consider trading him.

Grabovski is a leader on the TML, he plays with heart. I see DD becoming the same type of player with a couple more NHL seasons under his belt.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote