HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund - teams looking at Brassard?

Old
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I'm curious,but just how does a GM go about letting other teams know "such and such" might be available? Is there some kind of discreet hot-line or something? Or does he just call the league office and let the word spread around?
They have each others' cell phone numbers.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:37 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Well, that goes without saying, but as far as the mechanics go, do you call all twenty nine other GM's, or just the one's you like?

I've always been curious to know how much interaction GM's have with each other on a week by week basis. (as in, I wonder what their grapevine is lie, so to speak.)

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:40 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Well, that goes without saying, but as far as the mechanics go, do you call all twenty nine other GM's, or just the one's you like?

I've always been curious to know how much interaction GM's have with each other on a week by week basis. (as in, I wonder what their grapevine is lie, so to speak.)
Facebook status.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
underflux

Quote:
I'm curious,but just how does a GM go about letting other teams know "such and such" might be available? Is there some kind of discreet hot-line or something? Or does he just call the league office and let the word spread around?
Email

underflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

super secret emails and fake twitter accounts! lol

i'm sure the brass thing will gain atleast some legs in the coming weeks...we all know he's a very capable #2C with possible actual #1C upside. I would think more than a few teams would want to have someone like that on their teams, and I personally don't think we are really in a situation where we can keep those luxuries when we still have open necessities on our team

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Craigslist

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

GMs have relationships with some other GMs.

Howson clearly talks to Holmgren in Philly, Murray in Ottawa, Tambellini in Edmonton, Sather in NY. I don't know who else

They call each other and say something like:

"Here's what I'm thinking..." and float a trial balloon.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 10-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old
10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
Facebook status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underflux View Post
Email
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
Craigslist
Ok, I think we forgot the two most important....

Eklund... :p

And... Twitter...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Ok, I think we forgot the two most important....

Eklund... :p

And... Twitter...
Carrier pigeons. And smoke signals.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Carrier pigeons. And smoke signals.
Nope, those are DR plans....

Or in the case of Noel.. The carrier pigeons are drinking buddies.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:10 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I'm sure there's some salesmanship involved so lets say Brian Murray calls from Ottawa,

"Shcott, Murray here. Ya know I been thinkin that Fillytov deal was really good for both of ush. I'm gonna give you a chance to do it again. I've been looking at your team and well you know you got no decent defenshmen. I got lots of defenshmen, and I need some shkill in my top shix. "

Howson rolling his eyes, " You stole that kid from me Brian, you owe me one!"

Murray, "Shcott, I'm gonna take care of ya, and shpeaking of getting ripped off, that Leclaire deal almosht got me fired! Here'sh what I'm thinking. I'll take that Brasshard kid off your hands for shay...Filip Kuba"

Howson, "Murray, are you crazy??? If you want Brasshar...I mean Brassard, I need Erik Karlsson and your 2nd round pick."

Murray, "Shcott, I know you're in trouble, I'm just trying to be a good friend. No can do on the Karlsson thing. Let's talk next week."

Howson , "OK, love to the family."
Howson then picks up the phone:

"Paul Holgren speaking.."

"Homer? it's Howson. I've been thinking, you need a few tings to put you over the top and you have too many defensemen..."

Holmgren, "What you got Scotty?"

Howson, "You wanted Mason? I could take Matt Carle off your hands. I'll even throw in an eighth round pick "

"Scotty, you're nuts, I got goalies out the ass. What I want is a center cause well you know I had to dump Betts." "I don't want that bum Carter back...just kidding, just kidding. You give me Vermette and your 2nd, I'll shoot Bobrovsky over to fix you right up."

"Well Homer, I need to think about this. Another GM made a really compelling offer for one of my good centers. We agreed to talk next week."

"Ok, Howson, lets you and I do the same."

Next, Howson...where's Tabellini's freakin number...

"Tambo? Howie here...."

and on and on it goes...

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 10-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old
10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Right, like Klesla. How did he find out again?

Where's Cougar, she'll set you straight :laugh:

meh, I remember a player finding out he was traded because Sportsnet or TSN called him, on air!
My Trusty Rusty found out watching the NHL coverage of the trades. That's right, he heard it on the damn cable!! In a motel room!! The Columbus Blue Jackets: First Class all the way!!

(I'm STILL pissy over that one. LOL)

Thank God, Howson was able to personally call Tommy Sestito though. We need to respect our AHL'ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
I have to think this rumor is true as well... weren't there 27 scouts at the Avalanche game? Seems a little high if nothing is happening.
I took note of that when I read it. Somebody is moving out, kids.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
My Trusty Rusty found out watching the NHL coverage of the trades. That's right, he heard it on the damn cable!! In a motel room!! The Columbus Blue Jackets: First Class all the way!!

(I'm STILL pissy over that one. LOL)

Thank God, Howson was able to personally call Tommy Sestito though. We need to respect our AHL'ers.

I took note of that when I read it. Somebody is moving out, kids.
I know you're still pissed, but it happens with greater frequency than people realize. Neither Mike Richards or Jeff Carter knew a thing. When Chimmer was traded, he had no clue it was going down. Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

They know when they have a NTC or a NMC. A lot of the rest don't see it coming, and they get pissed off. People want to know why Hejda's angry? He didn't even get traded, but the Jackets didn't make him believe they wanted him, so he took a deal in Denver. Now his family is uprooted.

Chimera lived on Club Rd. in Arlington near a friend of mine. He says Sarah Chimera was devastated.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Change Howson for Vokoun Cougar....

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
I'm sure there's some salesmanship involved so lets say Brian Murray calls from Ottawa,

"Shcott, Murray here. Ya know I been thinkin that Fillytov deal was really good for both of ush. I'm gonna give you a chance to do it again. I've been looking at your team and well you know you got no decent defenshmen. I got lots of defenshmen, and I need some shkill in my top shix. "

Murray, "Shcott, I'm gonna take care of ya, and shpeaking of getting ripped off, that Leclaire deal almosht got me fired! Here'sh what I'm thinking. I'll take that Brasshard kid off your hands for shay...Filip Kuba"

Howson, "Murray, are you crazy??? If you want Brasshar...I mean Brassard, I need Erik Karlsson and your 2nd round pick."

Murray, "Shcott, I know you're in trouble, I'm just trying to be a good friend. No can do on the Karlsson thing. Let's talk next week."

"Homer? it's Howson. I've been thinking, you need a few tings to put you over the top and you have too many defensemen..."

Howson, "You wanted Mason? I could take Matt Carle off your hands. I'll even throw in an eighth round pick "

"Scotty, you're nuts, I got goalies out the ass. What I want is a center cause well you know I had to dump Betts." "I don't want that bum Carter back...just kidding, just kidding. You give me Vermette and your 2nd, I'll shoot Bobrovsky over to fix you right up."

"Well Homer, I need to think about this. Another GM made a really compelling offer for one of my good centers. We agreed to talk next week."

"Tambo? Howie here...."

and on and on it goes...
Classic.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
I know you're still pissed, but it happens with greater frequency than people realize. Neither Mike Richards or Jeff Carter knew a thing. When Chimmer was traded, he had no clue it was going down. Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

They know when they have a NTC or a NMC. A lot of the rest don't see it coming, and they get pissed off. People want to know why Hejda's angry? He didn't even get traded, but the Jackets didn't make him believe they wanted him, so he took a deal in Denver. Now his family is uprooted.

Chimera lived on Club Rd. in Arlington near a friend of mine. He says Sarah Chimera was devastated.
Yeah, it does happen, Leek. The thing that bothers me, to this day, really is the lack of class. Ten years is an insane amount of time for an athlete to stay with one organization but I'd always kind of been proud of what I thought was class with the CBJ. That move, not so much. I thought we were better than that....

And yeah, you're right about Richards and Carter too. Poor Carter just had a meltdown. (checking my forehead...must have a fever. Did I really just write "poor" and Carter in the same sentence?) Chimera was another favorite of mine. Didn't know about the devastation part. I'm sorry.

I guess the one consolation that most should find is when they come back and beat our ass. The Avs just did and I think Hejda had a part in that. Chimera is playing with Ovie. Jake is playing with Jagr. Rusty was +4 last night in a win over Nashville.

Everybody's having fun BUT us....LOL And LeClaire. I don't think Paz is having any fun either.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I still remember the days of when Brassard was thought of as a superstar around here.

"No TW, we don't need Brad Richards, we have Brassard."

"TW you're crazy, who needs Spezza when you have Derick Brassard".

"LOL TW why you want Joe Thornton here when you already have Brass at #1 center."

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:44 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Change Howson for Vokoun Cougar....

Oh Lord!! That is HORRIBLE!!

Nah, I would never do anything like that. I might sit him down and talk him silly while wagging my finger at him for being naughty.

I'll just wait until Blah gets his job and then he can find out on TV and then I will sit and LAUGH, LAUGH, LAUGH!! HA!! And then we will go on to win the Stanley Cup so often that people just forfeit games instead of playing us....*sighs*

I have a dream....

Old
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Milltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Oh Lord!! That is HORRIBLE!!

Nah, I would never do anything like that. I might sit him down and talk him silly while wagging my finger at him for being naughty.

I'll just wait until Blah gets his job and then he can find out on TV and then I will sit and LAUGH, LAUGH, LAUGH!! HA!! And then we will go on to win the Stanley Cup so often that people just forfeit games instead of playing us....*sighs*

I have a dream....
I just hear it now. Columbus "Cup City" Ohio

yummm!

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I still remember the days of when Brassard was thought of as a superstar around here.

"LOL TW why you want Joe Thornton here when you already have Brass at #1 center."
Ah yes, THOSE were the days!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post

Ignorance is bliss. Unless you're the Crew, then Ignorance is (Brian) Bliss.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Quote:

Howson clearly talks to Holmgren in Philly, Murray in Ottawa, Tambellini in Edmonton, Sather in NY. I don't know who else

This is exactly right. It's the main reason you see teams, year after year, dealing with each other. Like the Canucks/Panthers, the Jackets/Sens, Toronto/Everybody ...

Quote:

"Tambo? Howie here...."

and on and on it goes...
This would definitely go in my signature line if I had one and it was long enough. The only thing I would change is after Howson says goodbye to Murray, I would add "SSSSUFFERIN' SUCKATASH!" in response. That's exactly how that conversation would pan out.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

If we're trading Brassard, either a 1a/1b type goaltender, or a top 4 defenseman had better be coming the other way. No more picking up mid round draft picks, no more toiling with prospects - if we want results now, improve the team now.

Maybe this is the reason Ryan Johansen is being kept around, even though he isn't playing a ton?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:24 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

Only I do not know why he would talk about Brassard with these GM. All these teams has centers: Philla four, Ottawa Spezza and Da Costa with Regin, Edmonton RNH with Horcoff, Lander and now injured Gagner, Isles Tavares, Strome and Nielsen. If with Dallas... I would understand.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:27 AM
cbj21

Keep Brass.

Quote:
meh, I remember a player finding out he was traded because Sportsnet or TSN called him, on air!
wow, poor guy , bad management.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote