HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonas Holos leaves the Colorado Avalanche organization

Old
10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Not a big lÝs, but I wish him the best.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
The Sheriff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
No shocker.

People were high on him for some reason, but what does he actually do? He's not big, he's not physical, he's not fast, he doesn't have good puck skills. He's just an average(VERY average) defenseman.
plenty of defenseman have carved out a career as a steady defensive defenseman like that as a #4-6 guy.

he probably wasn't going to find a spot on the avs anytime soon with five or six other youngsters ahead of him. too bad they couldn't work out a small trade with another team.

i don't blame him though for preferring to return home to make a living rather than riding the bus in and out of cleveland every week.

-the sheriff

The Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
It's a pity, I'd hoped to see him do well. Mostly for the novelty of a Norwegian in the NHL. But, yeah, he got buried in the depth chart. Hope he resurfaces someplace and has some success.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
It's a pity, I'd hoped to see him do well. Mostly for the novelty of a Norwegian in the NHL. But, yeah, he got buried in the depth chart. Hope he resurfaces someplace and has some success.
I think he'll end up in your country

He said several Swedish teams are interested, he may also play in Russia or Switzerland.
But he seems to like Sweden, and the "Norwegian" team Modo, with his buddy Tollefsen as captain.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
screw Sacco.

You can never have too many young defensemen that have NHL potential.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:29 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Saw this one coming from a mile away.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
screw Sacco.

Don't you mean Quinn?

How can you not let this guy play?!?!

EDIT: whoa LEM changed the image to his Avalanche picture like 10 minutes after I posted it.

Last edited by Foppa Frossa: 10-14-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Foppa Frossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
and the Avs D depth starts taking a hit..

Not that Cumiskey and Holos were all that great, but they were decent players who were familar with the Avs

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
and the Avs D depth starts taking a hit..

Not that Cumiskey and Holos were all that great, but they were decent players who were familar with the Avs
Cumiskey and Holos should realistically be somewhere around 10th-12th on our depth chart and no matter what it is better for the team that Elliot/Barrie get the first crack at being called up.

So realistically they weren't really depth. They were last years depth turned obsolete.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Hmmm, opening up spots on the 50-man-max contract rule?

27 scouts at the Avs game the other night...

Something brewing?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Sitch

Quote:
screw Sacco.

1. I'm not sure what Sacco would have to do with this. He only told Holos the truth in that he was not a crucial part of our roster and didn't give him a spot. I assume Holos would have to talk to Sherman about getting a release.

2. I find it very respectful. It is pretty obvious that it was a longshot for Holos to crack the line-up again. Rather than forcing him to abandon his contract or stay in the AHL, the Avs were kind enough to let him go play in a more prestigious league closer to home.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I wish we traded him to give him a chance else where. Sad to see him go.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Drury_Sakic

I don't see how anyone can blame Sacco or anyone else in the Avs organization for this. If anything, the club should be given credit for allowing a guy that was not going to get a sniff at becoming a regular anytime soon to walk away and play somewhere else. I have to imagine that if there was any type of a trade market for him, the Avs would have made a move.

Maybe he did not get the credit he deserved for his play at the start of last year, but in his follow up chances he did nothing to impress.

Even with LEM, he really was not going to find a spot. For the long term of the organization, you cannot argue with playing Barrie, Elliott, Gaunce, Liffiton, or Chouinard in front of him. He MAY be a slightly better all around player than say Liffiton or Gaunce right at this moment, but you need the sandpaper guys in there to play with the skill of Barrie, Elliott, and Chouinard and Gaunce, not to mention that both Gaunce and Liffiton are the types of players the Avs need to have in the system.

I do not know much about the Monsters other D men, Brennan, Newton, and Langdon, but it looks as the 3 are all big physical D men, and looking at the roster, I imagine the 6th spot is reserved for that big guy.

Additionally, in the system Siemens, Silas, and possibly Rutkowski are going to be ahead of Holos on the depth chart within a few seasons.

The same applies for Cumiskey. Both players are decent fringe NHLers right now, but the Avs simply do not need either due to the depth on D at the NHL, AHL, and Junior level.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitch View Post
1. I'm not sure what Sacco would have to do with this. He only told Holos the truth in that he was not a crucial part of our roster and didn't give him a spot. I assume Holos would have to talk to Sherman about getting a release.

2. I find it very respectful. It is pretty obvious that it was a longshot for Holos to crack the line-up again. Rather than forcing him to abandon his contract or stay in the AHL, the Avs were kind enough to let him go play in a more prestigious league closer to home.
Personal opinion here, but I don't think Sacco ever really gave him a chance. It's pretty obvious to me that Sacco has his favorites even on 3rd and 4th lines which I find peculiar.

Never said anything about the Avs management - only Sacco. They handled this situation gracefully.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Personal opinion here, but I don't think Sacco ever really gave him a chance. It's pretty obvious to me that Sacco has his favorites even on 3rd and 4th lines which I find peculiar.

Never said anything about the Avs management - only Sacco. They handled this situation gracefully.
Sacco played him 18:03 mins/gm for 39 games. He had his chance.

Dater wrote a story last season saying that Holos almost went back to Europe because he didn't make the team right away. They convinced him to stay and he got to play quite a few games at the NHL level.

Now it's the exact same thing this season but instead of convincing him to stay, they're going to let him go to Europe. Does this guy think he's some superstar who should be playing big minutes in the NHL?

Sacco did nothing wrong. If Holos didn't play like crap last season and in training camp this season, maybe he would have made the team.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:58 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Sacco played him 18:03 mins/gm for 39 games. He had his chance.

Dater wrote a story last season saying that Holos almost went back to Europe because he didn't make the team right away. They convinced him to stay and he got to play quite a few games at the NHL level.

Now it's the exact same thing this season but instead of convincing him to stay, they're going to let him go to Europe. Does this guy think he's some superstar who should be playing big minutes in the NHL?

Sacco did nothing wrong. If Holos didn't play like crap last season and in training camp this season, maybe he would have made the team.
Probably not. He doesn't fit the team's mold. However, if he was playing lights out hockey but was seen as not having a spot on the roster, he would have been traded and there would have been plenty of teams knocking on the door to get him. The league isn't exactly overrun by very good defenders.

Truth is, he would maybe be a #6 or 7 guy on some of the worst teams in the league, but so would 100's of other guys.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:25 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

it's too bad , he had a really strong start with the team, however after he was demoted and came back it seemed that he came back as the ahl holos and looked out of place

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:30 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
it's too bad , he had a really strong start with the team, however after he was demoted and came back it seemed that he came back as the ahl holos and looked out of place
He clearly doesn't have the determination to make a career for himself here. When he was demoted and brought back, he probably no longer had the drive to succeed as I'm sure he knew he didn't have a real shot of sticking beyond an injury call up.

With a healthy line-up this year, he knew where he stood in the depth chart and decided to no longer try.

Old
10-15-2011, 06:36 AM
YetAnotherNorwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
He clearly doesn't have the determination to make a career for himself here. When he was demoted and brought back, he probably no longer had the drive to succeed as I'm sure he knew he didn't have a real shot of sticking beyond an injury call up.

With a healthy line-up this year, he knew where he stood in the depth chart and decided to no longer try.
How is that lack of determination? This isn't about not having the drive, it's about making the right decision for yourself.

I like having Norwegians playing in this league, but even with my patriotic glasses on I saw that Jonas (sadly) just wasn't cutting it, and shouldn't be here. On top of that the acquiring of D-men before this season was the head shot to his chances on ever making the team.

If you are on the verge of making the team or you know you will be the first call up, I agree. Then you should stay, be patient and fight for that roster spot. Jonas wasn't on the verge of anything. Realistically he was never going to get even one minute of ice time for the remainder of this contract, and be released at the end of his contract, and he knew it. When that's the case, why sit and rot on some humpty-dumpty bus trip to godknowswhere, if you can go get top minutes in Russia or Sweden?

YetAnotherNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 06:40 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherNorwegian View Post
How is that lack of determination? This isn't about not having the drive, it's about making the right decision for yourself.

I like having Norwegians playing in this league, but even with my patriotic glasses on I saw that Jonas (sadly) just wasn't cutting it, and shouldn't be here. On top of that the acquiring of D-men before this season was the head shot to his chances on ever making the team.

If you are on the verge of making the team or you know you will be the first call up, I agree. Then you should stay, be patient and fight for that roster spot. Jonas wasn't on the verge of anything. Realistically he was never going to get even one minute of ice time for the remainder of this contract, and be released at the end of his contract, and he knew it. When that's the case, why sit and rot on some humpty-dumpty bus trip to godknowswhere, if you can go get top minutes in Russia or Sweden?
I guess the way i see it, if he wanted to play in NA that bad, he would play his ass off night in and night out. He could easily have been a piece in a trade that could see him getting regular minutes in the NHL.

Old
10-15-2011, 06:48 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I guess the way i see it, if he wanted to play in NA that bad, he would play his ass off night in and night out. He could easily have been a piece in a trade that could see him getting regular minutes in the NHL.
I'm sure the Avs would try to find a trade partner before releasing his rights. I don't see Holos having any value at this point of the year.

Old
10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
I'm sure the Avs would try to find a trade partner before releasing his rights. I don't see Holos having any value at this point of the year.
I don't think he could have been traded right now either. That's why i said if he played his ass off for half of the season, made a name for himself in the A as a solid defender, I'm sure a team would take a flier on him for futures or something at least.

Old
10-15-2011, 07:01 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
I don't think he could have been traded right now either. That's why i said if he played his ass off for half of the season, made a name for himself in the A as a solid defender, I'm sure a team would take a flier on him for futures or something at least.
Well he can go to Europe and wait for his NHL chance there. If his rights are release it won't cost a team anything to sign him for the year.

Last edited by CB Joe: 10-15-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old
10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
It's not as simple as working hard. Lots of players work hard and just can't cut it. Maybe Holos going back to Europe and in 3 years he comes back to the NHL. Or maybe he has a nice career in Sweden and enjoys being closer to home. Best of luck to him.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Frank Booth

He quit in the playoffs last season. Yet he stepped up his play in the World championships. David Quinn gave him plenty of ice time last year and his true colors showed at the most important time of the season. Good riddance to bad garbage.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote