HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Update on Oilers (new) Downtown Arena

Old
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
I would feel dirty taking the Oiler franchise anyways, didn't want it, it just wouldn't be right.
Oh Man, Im bustin a gut here...

You are all thats absolutely right, perfect, decent & honest about Hamilton & Southern Ontario dronald. Dont let anyone ever try to change you... you guys are on the list. Balsillies' point was made. Cost him exclusion but opened the doors & windows, threw out the dirty laundry, see ya in the league within 5yrs or my names Harvey Mudd.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:29 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
The one Councilor that I was surprised to see had opposed the new arena (at least in its current agreement) was Linda Sloan, especially seeing as her nephew Tyler Sloan is in the NHL...errr AHL right now.

10-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, all I can say is they do operate differently out here, in the West, but I can assure you this guy is no Garth Drabinsky despite the physical resemblances. Quite simply put, he's not a megalomaniac with pretensions leaning towards grandeur. Nor is he the sort to demand that you play the game his way or he's taking his puck & going home. Quite the opposite actually. Your making a mistake if you write off Daryl Katz as a shallow player my friend.
No ill will against Katz. He's playing the game the way it's been perfected for nearly a century in North American sports. Put pressure on City Province/State to come up with money..

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
GordonGraham

Cant wait to see if they will be able to get money from the Provincial govt

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
No ill will against Katz. He's playing the game the way it's been perfected for nearly a century in North American sports. Put pressure on City Province/State to come up with money..
I think there should be lots of ill will against people like Katz. He is a guy that can afford to finance this thing himself by an large but instead whines for handouts. He is expecting 100 million in provincial money that is earmarked for infrastructure to the city.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:26 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Cant wait to see if they will be able to get money from the Provincial govt
The province has already stated in the past that it will not fund the construction of a new arena. So it is highly unlikely.

The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
I think there should be lots of ill will against people like Katz. He is a guy that can afford to finance this thing himself by an large but instead whines for handouts. He is expecting 100 million in provincial money that is earmarked for infrastructure to the city.
but than the rich wont get richer if they had to pay for everything themselves

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
The province has already stated in the past that it will not fund the construction of a new arena. So it is highly unlikely.
Right. Not directly anyways, money being fungible can be hard to follow. The province still gives lots of infa money to the city, the city will use this money to fund non-arena infra while directing their infra funds to the arena.

So, no the province didn't fund the arena, but room will be made for the city to fund the arena (aka short fund real infra needs for the benefit of the oil).

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote