HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Gaming Headphones

Old
10-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Gaming Headphones

I live in a apartment and I play my games pretty late, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me a quality pair of Headphones for my PS3

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Tritton. Good balance between quality and price. I have the ax 720s. They are simulated surround sound. The ax pros are true surround sound.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:46 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Tritton AX720 or the Logitech F540

Tritton's are better I think but aren't wireless, the F540 is wireless.

Just depends on what you want. Tritton's are roughly 30-40 dollars more, for slightly better sound and comfort, where as the Logitechs give you freedom to move around without wires!

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Lights
Midnight Machines

Here's a nice list from Head-Fi

Quote:
Gaming Headsets (mic attached):

Sennheiser PC360 (ADDED 1/21/2011)

JUST GET IT NOW. Seriously, if you want a headset, don't even think twice. Get it. NAO. Easily the best headset I have heard. THE BEST.

Clarity? Check. 8/10
It lags behind the AD700, K70x, and HD598, but for gaming, it is NO slouch. Trust me, you won't need it any more clear than it is. I won every single match in CoD4. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I can say that it COULD be clearer as a whole, but no other headSET comes close.

Balance? Check. 9/10
There is no part of the audio spectrum that I felt was truly emphasized over the rest. Well balanced. That's all I can say. Treble is neither too smooth, nor too sparkly. It sounded neutral. Fantastic.

Soundstage? Check. 8.5/10
Obviously lagging behind the monsters that are the K70x and AD700, but is indeed no slouch. I'd say it has a bigger soundstage than the DT990. Fantastic sense of space and airiness.

Directional Cues? Check. 9.5/10
What can I say? This may actually be as good as the best when it comes to overall directionality. Trust me when I say that I could EASILY tell where everyone was around me.

Easy to discern front and back? Check! 10/10
Perhaps the most important aspect of Dolby Headphone, and the PC360 got it down masterfully.

This is my first hour's impression. If you're in the market for a headSET, this should be the top priority. If you're looking for clarity, I'd say that the others mentioned have it beat, but the PC360 does a fine job with all the clarity it gives.

Unless there is a dramatic change:

Fun: 7/10 (well balanced, but not really matching the punch in bass I like from funner cans, though the bass is enjoyable).
Competitive: 9.5/10 (I highly doubt you'll be complaining about anything as you're precisely locating anything and everything around you).

If these indeed sound exactly the same as the 595 (or modded 555s), then unless you really need a mic and volume control all in one package, you'll be saving money by going with the 555's and modding them for the 595 sound and attach a mic. However, the PC360 can be had for around $180, and brings everything in one very attractive package. I can't say anything about the 555 and 595, but the PC360 is definitely a gaming beast.

Astro A40

To be honest, I can't remember them all too well, though I remember them sounded pretty hollow, and I couldn't really pinpoint sounds behind me. I'd like to give them another chance though.

Fun: ?/?

Competitive: ?/?

Tritton AX720

My roommate recently purchased the AX720, and I'm happy to say that it's a pretty decent headset. I find it better than what I remember the A40s to be, but the general consensus is that the A40s are slightly better than the AX720, which is why I can't really judge the A40s. The AX720's mic works fine, the amp is comparable to the Mixamp if slightly MORE powerful and sleeker and more practical (it's a set top box, which you don't need next to you unlike the Mixamp). The headset itself is closed and comfortable, with good positional accuracy, with a small but still decently spaced out soundstage. It doesn't come close to the headphones I have mentioned, but it's a great starting headset which you can consider FREE, as what you really want is the AX720 virtual surround amp. Many people wouldn't have an issue with the AX720 headset. It doesn't do anything horribly wrong, but doesn't do anything particularly particularly well either. It's just good enough to get you going.

Fun: 6/10

Competitive: 7/10

Tritton AX Pro (TRUE 5.1 headset)

This is my first and LAST 5.1 headset. This is the worst frigging headset I have ever heard. I couldn't believe this junk was worth $189... I was peeved. The sound quality was absolutely mediocre, more on par with $30 headphones (KSC75 excluded). Now to the meat of the reason anyone would get this garbage: The 5.1 speakers. If it's better than virtual surround, it sure could have fooled me, because I wasn't buying into that gimmick. There was a noticeable gap between the drivers when a sound switched from one driver to the next. Sure, you can TELL where sounds are coming from if you pay attention to which driver is currently puting off noise, but I'll take the complete 360 degree soundfield Dolby Headphone has to offer over this tripe. Yes, I absolutely hated this **** thing. Anyone who thinks this is better in positioning than a pair of AD700s, DT770 Pro 80s, and K70x with Dolby Headphone is someone I'd call a bold faced liar. Sorry, but I'm seriously angry this thing is actually more expensive than the AX720 which I consider better in pretty much every way, and costs $50 less. Let me not get into this as we have a few Ax Pro fanboys on here...moving on.

Fun: 1/10

Competitive: 5/10

Turtle Beach PX21

Hey, do you like hiss with your sound? Yeah? Then the PX21 is PERFECT for you. There is an audible hiss blanketed over the sound due to it's proprietary inline amp. Yeah, if you hook this up to the Mixamp, you're geting a hissy, double amped (in a bad way) piece of crap. Okay, not crap. If you can get over the hiss, the sound is actually pretty crisp and detailed. I actually LIKE the sound it has, hiss aside. However, due to the hiss, I won't go any further into trying to remotely going into the specifics. And yes, this is an innate issue with all PX21s. The inline amp is the problem.

Fun: 4/10

Competitive: 5/10

Turtle Beach Z2

Lol, these come with 50mm drivers, has no inline amp, and is cheaper than the PX21. These MUST be good! Okay, so when I opened the package and attempted to adjust it... the right cup snapped off. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-- Seriously. Just snapped. That goes to show you the kind of quality to expect. I couldn't even test the **** sound quality properly. Not to be unfair, I asked for a replacement on Amazon, which was shipped to me within 2 days. Knowing the durability issues, I took RIDICULOUSLY special care on not snapping one of the cups off when adjusting them on my head.

The sound: Hmm... bad. Just...REALLY bad. Now I will tell you why: the pads. It uses neoprene pads that don't isolate, and don't form any sort of seal. Why in the flipping hell would TB use pads that let the potential sound quality escape before it reaches your ears?

The Z2 is a closed headphone, with non-sealed pads. WTF. Okay, the AX720 is the same and sounds decent, but it just doesn't work for the Z2. Avoid it like the plague. If you really want me to tell you how it worked with Dolby Headphone, well... not even remotely good. Terrible lack of soundstage and positional accuracy. Actually, I think it's the very worst I have ever used with Dolby Headphone. Just...no. If I had to choose between the Z2 and the AX Pro, I'd probably just shoot myself.

Fun: 1/10

Competitive: 1/10

Steelseries Siberia V1

Bought these for my now-ex girlfriend. Quiet possibly the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. Seriously. The self adjusting headband is just AWESOME. Very light, and very open. Looks like a budget Sony MDR-F1. On to the sound... hmm... a bit on the veiled side. To be honest, they sounded better with music than they did with gaming. It wasn't even impressive with Dolby Headphone. I wouldn't look at these twice. The Siberia V2 is known to be pretty good, but sadly, I didn't get those because she didn't want pleather pads, so opted for the inferior version with tiny velours and smaller drivers.

Fun: 5/10

Competitive: 4/10

MY TOP CHOICES

In Order

Competitive

K701

HD598

PC360

AD700

DT990

D7000

Creative Aurvana Live

KSC75

Fun:

D7000

DT990

Creative Aurvana Live

DT770/600ohm (bass heavy version with bass ports)

DT770 Pro 80

KSC75

Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Bruins4Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizaki View Post
Here's a nice list from Head-Fi
Don't you need an amp with optical inputs to use it with a PS3? And a usb connection to get the mic to work. A lot of those don't apply.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Yeah those are all PC headsets. The two I mentioned are your best choices for PS3/X360.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Evil Ted

I got tritton ax360 when h3 came out and there performence is/was really good. The 5.1 really works well and being able to adjust each channel by themselfs is a nice feature really gives you a big advantage. They worked through the optical input which made it compatable on more devices then my xbox like my pc. Certainly the two drawbacks of the ax360 are the cord and the lack of a functional/practical communicator. I am sure the newer generation is improved.

I recently got a pair of turtle beach x41 because they were on sale and I wanted wireless. While they are much more comfortable they are not true 5.1 and you notice it. Again the communicator is better then the tritton but is still not perfect.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote