HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Evaluation on Halak

Old
10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Lynnx*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Yep and that is what sucks about our system. We have a system in place that doesn't give up a lot of shots, but a goalie who plays better when he is facing a lot of shots. How can you tell your defense to give up more shots though?
Well in Montreal the defence always kept the players to the outside permitter. So all the shots that they got were from the outside and Halak could see most of them. It seems most of the shots that players get against the Blues are from very close range and inside.

I think if the Blues D' kept players more to the outside it would be beneficial.

I think it's good for Halak that Brian Elliot played an outstanding game. I think the fact that the starter position was given to him made him less competitive. Once he see's that he could be backing up, a little healthy competition will make both Elliot and Halak better players.

and if not, Elliot seems to be playing well anyway. I've been really impressed with the Blues as a team, they have been outshooting the opponents and looks like playing better than most of em too.

All you need is a goalie like Elliot or Niemi are average

Lynnx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Lynnx*

You guys have to be patient with Halak. He is a great goalie. Come playoff time you will be GLAD you have him when you face the #1 seed and he's stealing games.

Reference, Washington series and Pittsburgh series and even when he played VS team Canada, and when he beat the Russian in shootout.

He is amazing.

Don't throw him under the bus yet!

Lynnx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Yep and that is what sucks about our system. We have a system in place that doesn't give up a lot of shots, but a goalie who plays better when he is facing a lot of shots. How can you tell your defense to give up more shots though?
And it's because of that system that Blues' goaltenders historically have not put up outstanding save percentage numbers.

Take a look at the save percentage leaders in the NHL, and you'll find that they are playing behind defenses that regularly give up 25-30 shots per game or more.

If the Blues give up 20 shots a game, Halak or Elliot have to allow only one goal per game to have a save percentage over 90%. Allowing two goals against per game, on an average of about 20 shots against per game, produces a GAA that's low enough to win, but also produces a save percentage of only about 90%, which to most observers isn't good enough.

A goals-against average of less than 2.00 is rare in any era, so if Halak can keep his GAA between 2.00 and 2.25, that's probably as good as you can expect, and should be good enough to enable to Blues to win a fair number of games. His save percentage isn't going to be among the league leaders, though, because the Blues don't give up enough shots to allow Halak to pad his saves rate the way some other goalies can.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
And it's because of that system that Blues' goaltenders historically have not put up outstanding save percentage numbers.

Take a look at the save percentage leaders in the NHL, and you'll find that they are playing behind defenses that regularly give up 25-30 shots per game or more.

If the Blues give up 20 shots a game, Halak or Elliot have to allow only one goal per game to have a save percentage over 90%. Allowing two goals against per game, on an average of about 20 shots against per game, produces a GAA that's low enough to win, but also produces a save percentage of only about 90%, which to most observers isn't good enough.

A goals-against average of less than 2.00 is rare in any era, so if Halak can keep his GAA between 2.00 and 2.25, that's probably as good as you can expect, and should be good enough to enable to Blues to win a fair number of games. His save percentage isn't going to be among the league leaders, though, because the Blues don't give up enough shots to allow Halak to pad his saves rate the way some other goalies can.
I agree. It reminds me of when I play EA Sports, I get the wins and have a great GAA, but an average at best SV%. As long as Halak can find a way to limit the amount of "soft" goals that he allows, I will be happy.

Halak is a very good goalie, so in no way am I off his bandwagon. I think the Blues coaching staff and defensemen need to do a better job of playing a system that better fits Halak's style. We need to make sure he is comfortable in net and not facing shots that he is not fully confident saving. I was hoping, they would've had this figured out by now, but hopefully they can figure it out soon. Our offense should be good enough for the time being though.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Coedae

Halak seems little lazy and reluctant. He seems like he doesn't want to win and fight with team. I remember that saw that same things in last year World Tournament. Halak wasn't good there and there i was observed same bad things in his game. I really hope Halak would be better in future. If he doesn't, there is maybe trade coming..

Coedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Redhead90

Elliot has been a surprisingly goo signing for you guys, but remember he did have that 11-game win streak for Ottawa 2 seasons ago, but other than that, really hasn't done anything, but who knows maybe he has really found a new game for real.

Still definitely wouldn't be counting Jaro out yet, even with his disappointing start, I think the competition with Price really elevated his game, so hopefully the same thing will happen for you guys

Redhead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Clay Squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coedae View Post
Halak seems little lazy and reluctant. He seems like he doesn't want to win and fight with team. I remember that saw that same things in last year World Tournament. Halak wasn't good there and there i was observed same bad things in his game. I really hope Halak would be better in future. If he doesn't, there is maybe trade coming..
If he does not find his game he will be hard to trade with his contract. He needs to play more aggressively and intensely. He seems to be lackadaisical and maybe thats just his style but when his game is off it makes it appear as if he playing lazy or not trying. His game relies on positioning and his quick feet and when he is not challenging the shooters it opens up the top corners.

I would say if he can pick up the intensity, challenge shooters more, and improve his glove hand he will be fine. I'm staying cautiously optimistic that he can turn his game around.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Habs fan here

Just a little story. Halak had it hard (as in no1 believed in him) since really early ages and that persisted until recently. In 2003, he was drafted 271th in the 9th round by the Montreal Canadiens.

Goalie controversy in Montreal been here for 2+ decades before putting so much emphasis and pressure on them from media/fans. Honestly and I'm not kidding, the year Halak did awesome backing up for Price, each and single day Halak was asked ''Do you think you deserve another game after your amazing performance'' ''What do you feel about the way you're being used'' ''How is it to back up Price, being #2'' Each and single day! You can imagine the kid was like ''omg, I get a chance to be a hero here! I must keep working hard and make all those fans happy!!'' He sorta reached a parabola maximum on the last playoffs with us when he was treated like the next best thing after the Iphone 4.

What I think is happening and thought it could happen before the trade is that now that Halak was given a #1 goalie spot with a team and #1 goalie money in combination with the lost of that competition and fuel he had from being underdog/being in the "shadow'' of Price made him lost his drive.

I can explain this on some other facts. 2 years ago as much in reg. season as in the playoffs, when Halak had 3-4 really good games in a row, he'd inevitably follow the sequence with a bad 1, sometime bad enough to get pulled.

Finally, I hope he by any means that he can be on the top again because first and foremost I got huge respect for that guy and want him to succeed wherever he performs

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
SteenMachine

On a pure speculation basis I have to agree, I think he needs to be motivated by competition and feel like he deserves the #1 spot because he's earning it every game not because he's been told that's his job. It's a pretty big privilege to earn that spot on your Olympic team so I can see why the drive was still there. The playoffs have that intensity of, you have to win every game because it could end your season if you don't. Hopefully that will be his time to shine again.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:37 AM
MessierII

You can't say he played bad tonight. None of the goals were really his fault and the game could have been 10-2 if he hadn't made some unreal saves.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
The Blues may have lost the game, but Halak made some fantastic saves and gave them a chance to fight back into it vs the Oilers. That was really good to see.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:15 PM
ummerr

Halak or Elliot next game?

ummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Halak.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Should be Elliot, but it'll be Halak due to his contract.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Should be Elliot, but it'll be Halak due to his contract.
I thought halak got himself into a real groove in the end of last game I think he deserves another start. Hopefully one where the the team in front of him plays with some passion.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:58 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Halak earned himself another start, that's for damn sure. The Blues were terrible in this game.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

For us to succeed we need Halak to be our #1. He gets the next start for that reason, but he is still on a short leach and another game of 4+ goals and maybe even 3 and we should see Elliot, no matter how the defense is in front of him. It might not be Halak's fault, but Elliot has played with the same defense.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
almac02

We need the same Halak that showed up at the Oilers game, and the same Blues team that showed up against Philly and Vancouver for the next game in St. Louis.

It would be a winning combination, although Elliott's still hot, I think he should be played. We have to continue to play the hot hand.

almac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'd start Halak. He's the #1, and has proven more over his career than Elliott. Elliott knows the deal as a back-up: he has to be ready to play. He'll continue to get his chances, and I'd start him in the 2nd of the back-to-back games regardless of what Halak does.

But Jaro showed signs of waking up and playing the way we expect him to, you have to let him continue on that path. I'm a lot less concerned about the Blues' goalie situation than I am in an explanation for why the team looked so disinterested vs the Oilers. These points are precious!

I hope it was just road-game blahs, and a nice home stretch will ignite the team again. A team like Edmonton won't do it, but a lot of teams are going to feel free to take penalties against the Blues if the PP continues to look like a re-interpretation of Cats.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Serenade

Some time has passed and I'd like to know where Halak stands now? Should Elliott be the number 1?

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:13 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Some time has passed and I'd like to know where Halak stands now? Should Elliott be the number 1?
Halak has been back to form for about six games. Night and day difference from his first six. Elliott has certainly shown more this year, but I think they're currently playing them exactly right: as a tandem. Change the formula when it stops working.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote