HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Beagle (any news?) update: no concussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Lemieuxfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Beagle (any news?) update: no concussion

I'm obviously a pen fan, and coming in peace. I just want to know if there is any update on Beagle. I hope he's OK.

I don't want to defend Asham, the gesture he did after the fight was unessesary, but on the other hand, he calapped his stick, I'm sure he's a good sportsman after all. But I'm more interested in an injury update than to have a discussion about that.

If that makes me a troll, just remove the thread.

Thanks.

edit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...tiL_story.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...nockout_punch/

Old
10-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
I'm obviously a pen fan, and coming in peace. I just want to know if there is any update on Beagle. I hope he's OK.

I don't want to defend Asham, the gesture he did after the fight was unessesary, but on the other hand, he calapped his stick, I'm sure he's a good sportsman after all. But I'm more interested in an injury update than to have a discussion about that.
what was unnecessary was the fight.....Poor little Letang. Runs his yapper and gets into a mini shoving match, looses his helmet.

for that a guy has to defend himself in fight

but no one ever gets hurt in a fight

Old
10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Foy

Poor wittle Wetang. Can't even defend himself against a career AHLer in a shoving match he started.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
what was unnecessary was the fight.....Poor little Letang. Runs his yapper and gets into a mini shoving match, looses his helmet.

for that a guy has to defend himself in fight

but no one ever gets hurt in a fight
Beagle knew what he was getting into, he could always duck away if he wanted to. He manned up and fought, you should be proud of him. Obviously the fight didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, if it was Beagle that knocked Asham out, I'm sure you'd be going "**** YEAH!!!" Anyways, I hope the guy is ok, I don't like when people like Beagle get hurt like that. So any news on him?

Old
10-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Beagle knew what he was getting into, he could always duck away if he wanted to. He manned up and fought, you should be proud of him. Obviously the fight didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, if it was Beagle that knocked Asham out, I'm sure you'd be going "**** YEAH!!!" Anyways, I hope the guy is ok, I don't like when people like Beagle get hurt like that. So any news on him?
yea...Beagle knew if he responded to shoves by Letang by, well, shoving him back he would have to fight....

actually I would be saying the exact same thing, minus any talk of being hurt. Fighting after "disrespecting" someone is what seems to happen in the MMA-NHL now

no one can take a hit...or even a shove these days

Old
10-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Foy

I personally enjoyed the response of Penguins fans massively cheering a concussion to a player with a history of concussion issues. I no longer have to feel sorry for them the next time Crosby gets a concussion.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
yea...Beagle knew if he responded to shoves by Letang by, well, shoving him back he would have to fight....

actually I would be saying the exact same thing, minus any talk of being hurt. Fighting after "disrespecting" someone is what seems to happen in the MMA-NHL now

no one can take a hit...or even a shove these days
If someone was ****ing around with Green, you would expect a response, no? It's how it is, you defend your star players, and you send a message. Tell me, what did you think of King fighting Orr after he took a run at Ovechkin? You're telling me you didn't like the fact that King stood up for his teammate? I don't like what Asham did after the fight, he got caught up in the adrenaline and emotions and did something stupid, he apologized after it. If you had 17,000 cheering you on, and all you did was fight, I think it's understandable that you might want to do a little celebration after. He probably didn't know how bad the injury was either.

Btw, I'm not a Pens fan, in fact I hate the Pens, they kill my Sabres everytime. You guys won the game anyway.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
hoopla

Quote:
If someone was ****ing around with Green, you would expect a response, no? It's how it is, you defend your star players, and you send a message. Tell me, what did you think of King fighting Orr after he took a run at Ovechkin? You're telling me you didn't like the fact that King stood up for his teammate? I don't like what Asham did after the fight, he got caught up in the adrenaline and emotions and did something stupid, he apologized after it. If you had 17,000 cheering you on, and all you did was fight, I think it's understandable that you might want to do a little celebration after. He probably didn't know how bad the injury was either.

Btw, I'm not a Pens fan, in fact I hate the Pens, they kill my Sabres everytime. You guys won the game anyway.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Mothra

Quote:

If someone was ****ing around with Green, you would expect a response, no? It's how it is, you defend your star players, and you send a message.
defend from what....a shove? this is hockey

no I would not expect someone to come running in a pound a guy because a player was shoving another

Quote:
Tell me, what did you think of King fighting Orr after he took a run at Ovechkin? You're telling me you didn't like the fact that King stood up for his teammate?
taking a run at someone? Is that what you call what Beagle did?

Old
10-14-2011, 08:20 AM
hoopla

Quote:

no I would not expect someone to come running in a pound a guy because a player was shoving another

the answer to your question is in your first paragraph.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

Precisely, this is hockey. So why are you *****ing about a guy who doesn't fight, that dropped the mitts and lost? For gods sake, he even threw the fight's first two punches. Do you have a problem with them fighting or with what Asham did after the fight, which is it?

It looked like Beagle got Letang under the chin, maybe Letang sold it a little bit, but Asham couldn't know that.

I don't recall with great accuracy about what the hit on Ovechkin was like, all I remember is King stood up for his star player, which is what those players are supposed to do.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopla View Post
the answer to your question is in your first paragraph.
yea...I forget in the MMA-NHL hockey players cant take a simple shove these days (even if they started it). Its just disrespectful to shove a hockey player in a hockey game

this is where you tell me that "its always been that way" and expect me to ignore what I have seen for ~40 years

Old
10-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Xavier Laflamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I personally enjoyed the response of Penguins fans massively cheering a concussion to a player with a history of concussion issues. I no longer have to feel sorry for them the next time Crosby gets a concussion.
Yeah dude, we all did our background check on Jay Beagle before we went to the game, noted that he has a history of concussion problems, and applauded and cheered them when he got Knocked the **** out....

We definitely weren't cheering because we witnessed and awesome knockout DURING A FIGHT...no fan base has ever done that before...

Also, wittle wetang has dropped the gloves quite a bit in the past to know that he's not a chicken ****...

Asham seen an opportunity to spark his team, that was down 2-1 in the third period, with a fight. That's why he was resigned by the Pens.. If Beagle didn't want to fight Asham, he could have skated away..

Old
10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
Yeah dude, we all did our background check on Jay Beagle before we went to the game, noted that he has a history of concussion problems, and applauded and cheered them when he got Knocked the **** out....

We definitely weren't cheering because we witnessed and awesome knockout DURING A FIGHT...no fan base has ever done that before...
You can make excuses for it if you want...

Sure the crowd will cheer when the guy gets knocked down but once you realize he's laying there unconscious the cheering should have stopped. But it's Pittsburgh, so we shouldn't expect any class.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
You can make excuses for it if you want...

Sure the crowd will cheer when the guy gets knocked down but once you realize he's laying there unconscious the cheering should have stopped. But it's Pittsburgh, so we shouldn't expect any class.
Yeah I believe the Pens fans were cheering "LET'S GO PENS!" nothing to do with Beagle and let me guess you guys didn't cheer when Steckel hit Sid? You guys didn't cheer when Ovechkin laid a dirty cheap shot on Gonchar in the 2009 playoffs? Of course you will say Pittsburgh has no class, because that's all anyone can say anymore. You aren't the first one to say it, and you certainly won't be the last.

Pens fans don't have class? Then why is the OP who is asking about Beagle a Pens fan? I've wondered how he was doing because I don't like to see ANYONE get hurt.

Pens fans have no class....right.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Your own player had no problem with the fight.

From NHL.com, Mike Knuble.

Quote:
You hate to see your teammate go down, but Arron was just doing his job. I've played with Arron, he's an honest player, he's tremendous at what he does and he's doing what he had to do, and Jay did what he felt what he had to do. It's a little bit more experience against someone who doesn't have a lot and that's the result.
But I'm sure the fans, who have probably played zero hockey, know much better than veteran 'Penguin Killer' Mike Knuble.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Your own player had no problem with the fight.

From NHL.com, Mike Knuble.

But I'm sure the fans, who have probably played zero hockey, know much better than veteran 'Penguin Killer' Mike Knuble.
so is it safe to say you agree with every single sound-byte/opinion of Knuble in terms of hockey?

Old
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
let me guess you guys didn't cheer when Steckel hit Sid? You guys didn't cheer when Ovechkin laid a dirty cheap shot on Gonchar in the 2009 playoffs? O

Having been there at BOTH of those incidents, I can easily say that neither one had the vast majority of people cheering.

No one even KNEW Steckel had cleaned out Crosby. If you actually watched (and thought about it before you posted) Crosby got up and got off the ice without a ton of help. Most didn't even know he got hit beyond an incidental contact. The Caps fans in my section were doing none of that type of junk.

I was also there at the 09 game with Ovechkin. If anything, the only noise you could hear was booing because we felt it was a bad call. Not cheering Gonchar being hurt. While many woop him, we don't want to see the guy hurt.

I'm not claiming the Caps fans are saints, and I don't even really care about cheering Beagle being down(it's easy to see that a knockout, and it was one gets people going). But try to at least avoid playing the "whoa is us" card on someone else's boards.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
so is it safe to say you agree with every single sound-byte/opinion of Knuble in terms of hockey?
Whose opinion should I take with more confidence, yours or his?

All I know is that Knuble has more hockey knowledge that anyone on this board, are you saying you know better than him?

Old
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yeah I believe the Pens fans were cheering "LET'S GO PENS!" nothing to do with Beagle and let me guess you guys didn't cheer when Steckel hit Sid? You guys didn't cheer when Ovechkin laid a dirty cheap shot on Gonchar in the 2009 playoffs? Of course you will say Pittsburgh has no class, because that's all anyone can say anymore. You aren't the first one to say it, and you certainly won't be the last.

Pens fans don't have class? Then why is the OP who is asking about Beagle a Pens fan? I've wondered how he was doing because I don't like to see ANYONE get hurt.

Pens fans have no class....right.
Yep, consistent cheering while a player was unmoving and then bleeding on the ice (and confirmed negative comments towards said player)is the epitome of class. That's what you don't seem to understand. Cheering for the fight isn't classless. It's the cheering when the player is unmoving on the ice and verbal abuse of that player that's classless.

The Ovechkin-Gonchar hit is so overplayed. Not even close to dirty. He had Gonchar lined up for a clean hit, didn't leave his feet, and followed through on his original line. The only reason it turned into a knee-on-knee hit is Gonchar jumped laterally at the last second. He doesn't do that, and Ovechkin's shoulder is in his chest.

And for the 400th time, Steckel didn't hit Crosby. It was an incidental collision.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Whose opinion should I take with more confidence, yours or his?

All I know is that Knuble has more hockey knowledge that anyone on this board, are you saying you know better than him?
no, I am saying I have my own opinion.....regardless of his.

the point is, this technique of "player X says agrees with me, he plays NHL hockey, you do not...so that makes me correct"

Alzner said the fans were "classless". He has played pro hockey in just about every city....so Pitt fans are classless. He would know, right?

Old
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
capsfn95

one thing I haven't heard brought up yet is the fact that beagle was fighting with a visor on. I didn't think you were allowed to fight with a visor on, and to me it looked like asham smashed the visor into beagle's nose, and that is what did most of the damage. if i recall correctly, i think the few fights crosby has been in he actually took a second to take off his helmet for that specfic reason.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
nTsplnk*

Boy it didn't take long for this thread to turn sour.

Nothing is going to come of this, just hope Beagle is alright.

As for the Pens fans cheering Lets Go Pens, I wouldn't cheer it. If he knocked him out I'd probably cheer him after that, but when they had to call people out to help Beagle I think the cheering should've stopped.

Last edited by nTsplnk*: 10-14-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 09:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post
one thing I haven't heard brought up yet is the fact that beagle was fighting with a visor on. I didn't think you were allowed to fight with a visor on, and to me it looked like asham smashed the visor into beagle's nose, and that is what did most of the damage. if i recall correctly, i think the few fights crosby has been in he actually took a second to take off his helmet for that specfic reason.
You don't recall correctly.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
SameOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post
Instigating a fight while wearing a visor is a penalty. There is no rule against fighting with one, although typically players with visors remove their helmets before going at it.

In response to the original post, I haven't seen any official word on Beags. Apparently he was in good spirits last night, though.

Closed Thread