Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames 2 - Toronto Maple Leafs 3

Old
10-15-2011, 10:41 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Moss looks really lost playing with Tangs and Iggy lol. Hes a terrible centerman too, but its not his fault, he is totally miscast in that role.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Flames 1st pick

Expectation is too high around here.

If everyone has a career year then they'd get 8th place.

Not everyone is going to have a good year.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Expectation is too high around here.

If everyone has a career year then they'd get 8th place.

Not everyone is going to have a good year.
Funny how you only ever show up when the Flames lose. Id think you were a troll if I didn't know any better

Oh wait..

Regardless, Flames blew this one badly. Moss is out of place, Iginla is a slow starter, and Tanguay needs to shoot a little more.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:13 PM
CalgaryFlames1240

Someone tell Glencross not to score the first goal of the game. We have lost every time that happened.

CalgaryFlames1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
MarkGio

Isn't questionable that when Brent Sutter took this job, the Flames consistently missed the playoffs after being a playoff team. Tonight was a prime example of bad coaching. Moss shouldn't have been on the top line, the OMG line has great chemistry and yet broken up, and Butler shouldn't be defending against the top lines of the opposition. Plus this team hasn't been coached to play a whole 60 mins.

I'm a proponent of forward thinkers like Guy Boucher who have eliminated the morning skate given the sleeping drug problems around the league, and the old-school bag skating needs to be reconsidered

Last edited by MarkGio: 10-15-2011 at 11:51 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Sigh, all too familiar this team is looking

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:59 AM
DJ Doublecheese

Looking at the Flames now and the Oilers now, and I become ridiculously terrified. We are so screwed for the next decade

DJ Doublecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Body Checker

Jokinen chance, Stempniak chance, Hagman crossbar, Bourque wide open net. The chances were there.

Don't know why people are being so hard on Butler for the Kessel play. He stayed with him, got a piece of him, Kessel is fast and has low center of gravity. He's a dynamic player, tough play. Oh and yeah Regehr, yeah Kessel would have blown by him. I didn't see Regehr taking us to the playoffs the last few years.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Northern Neighbour

Moss also had a couple of excellent chances and same with Iginla. Reimer just played an outstanding game.

I agree that Moss shouldn't be centering the top line. He's a grinding winger that should be on the 2nd or 3rd line. Unfortunately, though, the team doesn't have many options at centre. Stajan hasn't been very good so far, Jokinen is playing well with Glencross, and Horak is just a rookie. Then again, Horak has some playmaking skills and good awareness on the ice, and the top line could use another guy that can create.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
flameaholic

I hate this f'cking team!

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:26 AM
tfong

Flames never take chances with their rookies. It's still the same old story where they are afraid of putting a rookie on the top line because of some theory that says they need to serve their time grinding or something. For heavens sake try him there and see what happens, the worse that happens is a loss and we get those anyways with the veteran lineup.

Adam larsson is clocking 20 mins plus on the devils already.

Old
10-16-2011, 01:58 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Could have gone either way, we had the chances out there.

Moss is still lost at centre. He's really f'ing up the chemistry of that line.

Defense is looking very scrambley at times too.

Still not panicking after 4 games though.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:50 AM
tfong

I started panicking sometime in the 2009 season already. Just counting down to a lottery pick these days lol.

Old
10-16-2011, 02:51 AM
El Scorcho

Backlund & BMO can't come back fast enough. Don't know how much of a difference it will make but at least it would get Moss off the first line.

El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
Funny how you only ever show up when the Flames lose. Id think you were a troll if I didn't know any better

Oh wait..

Regardless, Flames blew this one badly. Moss is out of place, Iginla is a slow starter, and Tanguay needs to shoot a little more.
I am around all the time. Why get so personal? What I say about this team turn out true most of the time.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:05 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Doublecheese View Post
Looking at the Flames now and the Oilers now, and I become ridiculously terrified. We are so screwed for the next decade

You just found that out now.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
The Flames are like that loser you date who says they're going to shape up and get their **** together, but never do. Eventually, it gets to a point where you don't even react to it. That's how I am, an empty emotionless shell where I ain't even mad if the Flames play like inconsistent crap.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:31 AM
neo45

Pretty happy with the Jokinen line tonight, nothing bad to say about their play.

Sarich and Babchuk need to pick it up or one of them will be sitting in favor of a young hungry d-man. I love both players so here's hoping they pick it up, they just haven't been good enough. Butler needs to be protected a little bit more from top competition.

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Janko Unchained
Dzani Hokej™

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Moss also had a couple of excellent chances and same with Iginla. Reimer just played an outstanding game.

I agree that Moss shouldn't be centering the top line. He's a grinding winger that should be on the 2nd or 3rd line. Unfortunately, though, the team doesn't have many options at centre. Stajan hasn't been very good so far, Jokinen is playing well with Glencross, and Horak is just a rookie. Then again, Horak has some playmaking skills and good awareness on the ice, and the top line could use another guy that can create.
You thought Moss had some excellent chances, and that Stajan hasn't been very good so far? I didn't honestly like Moss much last night, and Stajan, while not getting any points (aside from an assist on Bourque's goal in MTL), is putting in a good effort and in time, that'll convert to some points for him.

Reimer did look good last night, after the first period he was really on his game and Bourque's wide open shot went right into his chest. We had some chances, just could not convert on them... It would also be nice to play more than 5 minutes in a period.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
The Flames are like that loser you date who says they're going to shape up and get their **** together, but never do. Eventually, it gets to a point where you don't even react to it. That's how I am, an empty emotionless shell where I ain't even mad if the Flames play like inconsistent crap.
This. I used to yell at my TV but now the losses aren't as bad. Eventually the terrible play will stop, I just have no clue when that will be.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Kaptah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
I am around all the time. Why get so personal? What I say about this team turn out true most of the time.
Yeah, you were soooo right and not personal at all last season when you wrote something like 100 posts only to mock Olli Jokinen? Who happened to be one of our better forwards, and is leading the Flames in points as we speak.

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:44 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
This. I used to yell at my TV but now the losses aren't as bad. Eventually the terrible play will stop, I just have no clue when that will be.

haha, same

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
The real tragedy in all of this is that Rene Bourque will still get a full paycheck after missing that wide open net.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
I'm not sure how to feel about the Flames right now, frustrated I guess would be the best word I can think of ATM.

I know this, if this continues thru the halfway point of the season, I want Kipper to be traded. We'll for sure get a top 10 pick maybe even top 5. But I want to keep Iggy no matter what now. He should retire a Flame and he can mentor Baertschi and whoever else we draft this year if the Flames struggle. Hopefully though they get it figured out and right away!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Same team, same problem: inconsistency. It's going to be another 10th place finish. We'll have stretches where we'll look incredible, and stretches where we look like crap (as evidenced by tonight's game). That there is the definition of mediocrity.

Backlund/Mo aren't going to rescue this team, though yes, it ****ing sucks seeing Moss give up possession going into the offensive zone every time and absolutely ******** the bed on faceoffs. Not his fault, he's not a first line player. FFS, he's not even a centerman.
Rescue, no. But it is important to remember this is a team missing two of it's top centres, and the fact is that a couple of bad 2nd periods in two games have meant the difference between a 1-3 record and a 3-1 record. All hopes are not lost, IMO.

Should change the philosophy from "Every Game Matters" to "Every Period Matters"

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote