Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I don't think the game being on NBCsports matters. I've seen hits targetting the head on channels like BTN not get suspensions. We'll see if they start getting more consistent on the suspensions.
The difference is that 75 million households get NBCSP, while I'd be surprised if even 5 million got BTN. Also, NBC has been heavily advertising their "Friday Night Ice" and this matchup was likely one of the biggest ones yet.

As I mentioned before, I don't know anything about NCAA discipline, but a game on KSTC reaches more viewers than one on BTN.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The difference is that 75 million households get NBCSP, while I'd be surprised if even 5 million got BTN. Also, NBC has been heavily advertising their "Friday Night Ice" and this matchup was likely one of the biggest ones yet.

As I mentioned before, I don't know anything about NCAA discipline, but a game on KSTC reaches more viewers than one on BTN.
Although I agree that NBC Sports Net is the higher profile national network, BTN is no laughing matter. 19 of the 20 largest TV markets get BTN on cable. KSTC is only available in 1.

People can get BTN and in the Midwest it's on the same tier, if not higher, than NBC Sports Net.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Although I agree that NBC Sports Net is the higher profile national network, BTN is no laughing matter. 19 of the 20 largest TV markets get BTN on cable. KSTC is only available in 1.

People can get BTN and in the Midwest it's on the same tier, if not higher, than NBC Sports Net.
Tried to pull the households number for it. The only figures I can find are circular references on Wikipedia that should be flagged [weasel words]. BTN itself claims that they reached 30 million households, but that's a rather old figure.

I'd stand by the claim though. The vast majority of BTN subscribers are in it for the football coverage. BTN is a premium channel (according to those questionable wiki figures, about 50% of cable/satellite subscribers who are capable of receiving the channel do not) though.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Tried to pull the households number for it. The only figures I can find are circular references on Wikipedia that should be flagged [weasel words]. BTN itself claims that they reached 30 million households, but that's a rather old figure.

I'd stand by the claim though. The vast majority of BTN subscribers are in it for the football coverage. BTN is a premium channel (according to those questionable wiki figures, about 50% of cable/satellite subscribers who are capable of receiving the channel do not) though.
It's an estimated 80 million per BTN's official site. Which again is nothing to complain about - BTN outside the Big Ten footprint is on a similar tier to CBS Sports Net (which itself claims to be available on 98 million homes nationwide yet is on at best a digital cable tier). But for anyone in the Big Ten footprint (which covers 2 of the 3 major college hockey conferences) it's easily available and not a premium channel.

And yes, college hockey is down on the list for anything. It's a niche of a niche sport. Doesn't matter if it's ESPN, BTN or even NBC (despite the TV ads you can't find anything about it on their site), no one buys a channel for just hockey in the United States.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's an estimated 80 million per BTN's official site. Which again is nothing to complain about - BTN outside the Big Ten footprint is on a similar tier to CBS Sports Net (which itself claims to be available on 98 million homes nationwide yet is on at best a digital cable tier). But for anyone in the Big Ten footprint (which covers 2 of the 3 major college hockey conferences) it's easily available and not a premium channel.

And yes, college hockey is down on the list for anything. It's a niche of a niche sport. Doesn't matter if it's ESPN, BTN or even NBC (despite the TV ads you can't find anything about it on their site), no one buys a channel for just hockey in the United States.
The 80 million number isn't household subscribers, it's available households. That literally means "households who could purchase the channel if they wanted to." Hence the weasel words claim. The actual receiving households are around 30-40 million. In other words, half the households who could be receiving the channel choose not to. CBS Sports had carriage of 30 million subscribers in 2009, but I don't see more recent figures in a quick search.

BTN is a premium channel by definition. The majority of households where it is available do not receive it. Therefore it is on a higher tier than most households subscribe to it. Therefore it is a premium channel.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:05 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A million times this. Oh man he would be so great for this club.
i would love to see brown sign with the wild. Im also thinking that theres a small chance that jack connolly signs a free agent deal with the wild?

Old
02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
i would love to see brown sign with the wild. Im also thinking that theres a small chance that jack connolly signs a free agent deal with the wild?
I'd love it. Get some youth into houston as well, instead of 30 year career AHLers

Old
02-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Who's going to the Final Five? My wife and I will be there.

Old
02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
OpRedDawn*

stream for the gophs tonight?

Old
02-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Quote:
Sounds like fun!

Old
02-18-2012, 12:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Great win by the U last night which really showed the difference disciplined hockey makes.

Quote:
This guy!

Old
02-18-2012, 12:48 PM
CG5

Quote:
as a Sioux fan, I'm not as sure as I have been in past years. But, yeah I'll probably go to some games no matter what. Love the F5.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I will be at the Final Five for the third time in a row...always a fun time...and this time I can finally drink! (legally).

Old
02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

hopefully this guy. whos making a champ game matchup prediction?

Old
02-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Dee Oh Cee

All MN final. Gophers and Bulldogs.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
thats what im hoping too, connolly is small but with some time in houston he could be good

Old
02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Zucker with a meaningless goal, but who cares, pad those stats!

Old
02-25-2012, 04:50 AM
sioux210

danny kristo who plays for north dakota is a eden prairie native, is a very skilled player with good playmaking abilities, could be a great player with a little added weight and muscle. im looking forward to see what he'll do when it comes to signing a pro contract, drafted by the canadiens and a jr at the moment, he will become a free agent if montreal cant sign him this summer, im curious wether he'll look around at some different teams, possibly signing with his hometown team what do u guys think about him?

Old
02-25-2012, 08:48 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

^ Nice avy.

We're comin'!

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
CG5

yeah, that is a nice one. I'll buy it from you, if you're selling, sioux210 It would go perfect with my username.

dominant performance from the Sioux last night. that was probably the best 58 minutes of hockey I've seen them play all year. could have done without that confidence boosting final 2 minutes for denver.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:04 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
danny kristo who plays for north dakota is a eden prairie native, is a very skilled player with good playmaking abilities, could be a great player with a little added weight and muscle. im looking forward to see what he'll do when it comes to signing a pro contract, drafted by the canadiens and a jr at the moment, he will become a free agent if montreal cant sign him this summer, im curious wether he'll look around at some different teams, possibly signing with his hometown team what do u guys think about him?
Great avatar bro, I love it

I was at a frat party last night during the game and it was going pretty good. Packed like sardines into this small-ass basement. Someone comes downstairs and walks to the DJ and tells him the score on the game. At that point we were up 2-0. He calls it out into the crowd and everyone went bananas. Everyone suddenly started partying twice as hard. It was awesome.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Very good game from the Sioux last night. Probably the best game I have seen them play this year. Also I thought it was the best played college hockey game that has been played on NBC sports this season.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
CG5

I've read that tonights game will be on FSN+ in ND. don't know if that's true for the Twin Cities, but I'll be checking tonight.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
yeah, that is a nice one. I'll buy it from you, if you're selling, sioux210 It would go perfect with my username.

dominant performance from the Sioux last night. that was probably the best 58 minutes of hockey I've seen them play all year. could have done without that confidence boosting final 2 minutes for denver.
i can make u one dude no problem, just msg me or sumthing with what u want on it

Old
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

dang it gophers why did you have to sweep UNO! going to be a good ending in the WCHA, actually close this year

Closed Thread