Official 2011-2012 College Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
CG5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I am pretty sure that UND agreed to get rid of the name and logo by Jan 1. The NCAA has already given them more time than they deserve. They have to draw the line somewhere, and im guessing the playoffs are the best way to get their attention
UND doesn't need to be reminded of anything. They're well aware of the ramifications of using the name/logo in NCAA playoff events past the deadline. In all honesty I don't even know why this is a story/big deal. I assume anyone that follows UND athletics has known for years that the NCAA has informed UND of these penalties a long time ago. This is old news.

Also, it's not as if UND is just thumbing their nose at the NCAA. They don't have a choice in completing the name change, because petitions by the people have stopped them from doing so for the time being.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
CG5

anyway, pretty big weekend for the Fighting Sioux. with little help they could finish in 3rd...get that sweep!

Old
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
UND doesn't need to be reminded of anything. They're well aware of the ramifications of using the name/logo in NCAA playoff events past the deadline. In all honesty I don't even know why this is a story/big deal. I assume anyone that follows UND athletics has known for years that the NCAA has informed UND of these penalties a long time ago. This is old news.

Also, it's not as if UND is just thumbing their nose at the NCAA. They don't have a choice in completing the name change, because petitions by the people have stopped them from doing so for the time being.
The NCAA can get all pissy if they want, but state law required UND to retain the name, so they didn't have a choice in the matter. It's not like some stuck up administrator yelled "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME" to the NCAA like a petulant child.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The NCAA can get all pissy if they want, but state law required UND to retain the name, so they didn't have a choice in the matter. It's not like some stuck up administrator yelled "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME" to the NCAA like a petulant child.
This is a big and important point that the NCAA really needs to take into account. UND was well on their way to phasing out the nickname, going so far as to rename all of their online pages and everything, when they get the rug pulled out from under them by activists and state legislators.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
CG5

Quote:
exactly. you put it more eloquently than me.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
J22

Quote:
The flip side to this from the NCAA's pov. North Dakota can pass all the laws it wants, if UND wants to play in the NCAA they will honor the agreement. Meanwhile the UND athletic department twists in the wind.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
The flip side to this from the NCAA's pov. North Dakota can pass all the laws it wants, if UND wants to play in the NCAA they will honor the agreement. Meanwhile the UND athletic department twists in the wind.
No. That's not the flip side because it ignorantly states that UND has a say in the matter. They don't. They have to adhere to the law first and foremost. Technically, the NCAA is actually violating the law by attempting to compel the university to violate state law.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
No. That's not the flip side because it ignorantly states that UND has a say in the matter. They don't. They have to adhere to the law first and foremost. Technically, the NCAA is actually violating the law by attempting to compel the university to violate state law.
What law is the NCAA violating?

Old
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 1853
Love walking in on a 2-0 Badger lead

Old
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
What law is the NCAA violating?
They're attempting to compel another institution to violate the law. That's not legal.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Love walking in on a 2-0 Badger lead
3-0

Old
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
They're attempting to compel another institution to violate the law. That's not legal.
Well I would love to see North Dakota Law trump NCAA regulations in court, but is the NCAA even subject to ND laws?

Old
03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
J22

Quote:
The NCAA isnt trying to "compel" UND to do anything. They are telling them that if they want to play in their assosciation, they will play by their rules.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
The NCAA isnt trying to "compel" UND to do anything. They are telling them that if they want to play in their assosciation, they will play by their rules.
I'd suggest you look up the definition of "compel."

Old
03-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

4-0 Badgers after 2

Old
03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
J22

Quote:
I'd suggest you look up the definition of "compel."
I'm pretty sure I know what it means. The NCAA couldnt care less what UND calls itself, they just are not going to let them play in the NCAA with that name/logo.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
For those distracted with the Wild/HS hockey/Wilson firing tonight, here's how the WCHA looks with a night left of play:

#12 Alaska-Anchorage at #1 Gophers (Clinch MacNaughton with losses by them and UMD; rematch of last year won't be as surprising.)

#11 MSU-Mankato at #2 UMD (Last time the Mavs traveled to Amsoil, the roster read like the Gettysburg casualty list in "Gone with the Wind" and got killed accordingly. The series in Mankato last month was much closer.)

#10 Bemidji State at #3 Denver (Nice rebound by the Pios the second half, although one could say most of this could be pinned on Brittain's return.)

#9 Wisconsin at #4 UND (Badgers always a tough March draw; season series split 2-2)

CC's locked up the #5 seed, seeds 6-8 are up for grabs between UNO, St. Cloud, and Tech. Tech looks to host their first home playoff series in two decades (!) but will need lots of help from Denver and UMD.

Old
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
SeeKpzl8

For those watching the gophers vs. badgers game. Could that have been a penalty on wisconsin when one of their players shot a dropped glove that was laying on the ice at the MIN player who had the puck. This was during a delayed penalty on WIS, and the glove that was shot at the gopher player caused him to lose control of the puck and the badger player was able to go in and gain control of the puck and get the whistle. (I've been drinking I hope that made sense lol.)

Old
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Love McCabe going right after Bjudstad (spelling?) after he hit Rumpel! We don't take **** from NO ONE! PP coming up

Old
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Tartan
Sweet Dreams

Gophers win the WCHA Championship!!!

Old
03-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Gophers 2-1 win. Good game guys! Hope to see you in the WCHA final five

Old
03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
With Denver beating UNO in overtime, here are the first round playoff matchups:

#12 Alaska-Anchorage at #1 Minnesota
#11 MSU-Mankato at #2 UMD
#10 Bemidji State at #3 Denver
#9 Wisconsin at #4 UND
#8 Michigan Tech at #5 CC
#7 UNO at #6 St. Cloud State

Old
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
With Denver beating UNO in overtime, here are the first round playoff matchups:

#12 Alaska-Anchorage at #1 Minnesota
#11 MSU-Mankato at #2 UMD
#10 Bemidji State at #3 Denver
#9 Wisconsin at #4 UND
#8 Michigan Tech at #5 CC
#7 UNO at #6 St. Cloud State

two most entertaining in my opinion

Old
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

St. Olaf lost to Gustavus in the MIAC Championship game tonight.

Fun game, though. 4-2, but one of 'em shouldn't have counted (goal was off before it went in). Oles lost it for themselves, though, between hitting two pipes and not scoring on a sequence of 1:30 of 5-on-3 followed by a 3-minute PP.

Their on-campus rink is beautiful, too...at least, compared to the Northfield Municipal Rink.

OK, back to D1 talk!

Old
03-04-2012, 12:55 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Think I lost my hearing being at Mariucci tonight. Haula needs to go beast mode more often - him being intense in the third would be an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
Love McCabe going right after Bjudstad (spelling?) after he hit Rumpel! We don't take **** from NO ONE! PP coming up
Bjugstad.

And I liked John Ramage - he of two game misconducts for open-ice hits - complaining after Rau laid out LaBate for the next 20 minutes, then getting called for a ticky tack call.

Moral of the story: Schmidt Happens.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Closed Thread