Official 2011-2012 College Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Zero chance he goes to UND. look a couple of paragraphs down in this article. the part about his backyard rink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=6145415
Looks like his dad made the rink with the logo on it and it wasn't the kids decision. Plus, that was from February, a newer link was posted here he had UND in his top schools. People -highschoolers, especially- change their minds all the time.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Zero chance he goes to UND. look a couple of paragraphs down in this article. the part about his backyard rink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=6145415
If that was any indication of anything he would have already committed to the U of M by now...

Old
11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
If that was any indication of anything he would have already committed to the U of M by now...
You guys can pin your hopes on whatever you want, Im just telling you how it is. Anybody considering an Ivy league school isnt going to give UND any serious consideration.

Why would a guy 2months into his JUNIOR year in high school have his mind made up about college?

Old
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
You guys can pin your hopes on whatever you want, Im just telling you how it is. Anybody considering an Ivy league school isnt going to give UND any serious consideration.

Why would a guy 2months into his JUNIOR year in high school have his mind made up about college?
1) You act like you know him personally.
2) You contradict yourself within your posts.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The thing that really bothers me about college hockey...kids going to UMD or Mankato State or St Cloud State, why the hell are they Gophers fans?

All over Facebook, guys going to those three schools, bragging about the gophers. I don't understand.

/bitter Sioux fan
Because they grew up in the Twin Cities as Gophers fans and don't want to give up the loyalty.

And why should they?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Because they grew up in the Twin Cities as Gophers fans and don't want to give up the loyalty.

And why should they?
This, I was 12 when the Gophers won back to back titles, you can't just get rid of those memories and fandom.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
J22

Quote:
1) You act like you know him personally.
2) You contradict yourself within your posts.
1. Never met the kid, but i have seen this situation play itself out enough times to be confident in my opinion.

2. Not really, there is a difference between not knowing what school he will choose, and knowing one that he wont.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
J22

GopherState, the badgers are up next, where's the Kessel clip?

Old
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
1. Never met the kid, but i have seen this situation play itself out enough times to be confident in my opinion.

2. Not really, there is a difference between not knowing what school he will choose, and knowing one that he wont.
Unless you've talked to him personally about this, all you know is that UND is one of his four he's narrowed it down to, so it's purely speculation by anyone outside of his closest family and himself which one he's going to choose. You cannot say he's definitely not coming to UND for whatever reason, because you have absolutely nothing to base it off of. Past players choices hold no water here, because he is an individual left to make his own decision.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:

1) I am confident he will want to play with his hometown team. Playing for the Gophs 100%.

2) He won't play for UND as there is nothing to do there.

Just because I say it, doesn't make it true.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
J22

Quote:
Unless you've talked to him personally about this, all you know is that UND is one of his four he's narrowed it down to, so it's purely speculation by anyone outside of his closest family and himself which one he's going to choose. You cannot say he's definitely not coming to UND for whatever reason, because you have absolutely nothing to base it off of. Past players choices hold no water here, because he is an individual left to make his own decision.
You're absolutely right and like i said, go ahead and pin your hopes to those facts. Just dont be surprised when he doesnt play for the angry birds

Old
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
GopherState, the badgers are up next, where's the Kessel clip?
Ask and you shall receive...

...or wait around because I'll probably post it 4 more times this week. Will say this: I thought of Kessel's goal when Grimaldi Tebowed last night.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
LemaireisGOD

Intriguing...

Yea hearing the Big 10 (two of them Wisconsin guys) gush about North Dakota and Grimaldi it was amazing to me they didn't say squat about Kyle Rau who has been far more impressive thus far. Then Rau buries the game winner and they have nothing to say at all.

I like the Gophers' chances against Wisconsin. They are not nearly as good as North Dakota is and I felt we carried the play in both of those games. The team that seems to be in a state of flux right now is Denver, after being swept by UMD this weekend. The Bulldogs still have Connolly and Oleksuk but I didn't think they were that good to get a sweep over the Pioneers. Zucker had ZERO points too.

Michigan Tech split their series against Minnesota State so I'm a lot less scared of that team in terms of what damage it can do in the WCHA. The Gophers have to be considered the top team in the conference IMO.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Minnesota - #1 in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Yea hearing the Big 10 (two of them Wisconsin guys) gush about North Dakota and Grimaldi it was amazing to me they didn't say squat about Kyle Rau who has been far more impressive thus far. Then Rau buries the game winner and they have nothing to say at all.

I like the Gophers' chances against Wisconsin. They are not nearly as good as North Dakota is and I felt we carried the play in both of those games. The team that seems to be in a state of flux right now is Denver, after being swept by UMD this weekend. The Bulldogs still have Connolly and Oleksuk but I didn't think they were that good to get a sweep over the Pioneers. Zucker had ZERO points too.

Michigan Tech split their series against Minnesota State so I'm a lot less scared of that team in terms of what damage it can do in the WCHA. The Gophers have to be considered the top team in the conference IMO.
I had to skim through the game after having enough people complain about the coverage on Twitter. There were a few good things about it but if that's going to be their coverage in two years (and I know they have Billy Jaffe), it's not going to cut it.

Also if Andringa and Strobel are announcing next Saturday, it's going to be a long Saturday.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did anyone see this coming? I mean aside from Kyle Rau the kids were going to be another year older and same guy behind the bench. Really great to see the U having some success on the ice for the first time in a few years.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Rau looks like a collegiate beast (still don't think he really has what it takes at the NHL level but we'll see) but what's really got the Gophers riding high is the goaltending. Patterson has been brilliant. If he continues with the type of year he's having he'll run away with the Hobey.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is Kangas playing this year? Just curious. He kept the team alive after Briggs left. I never liked Frazee much. Patterson is just a monster this year though.

And you know how much I like short skill guys!

Old
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did anyone see this coming? I mean aside from Kyle Rau the kids were going to be another year older and same guy behind the bench. Really great to see the U having some success on the ice for the first time in a few years.
I saw Patterson being the best goalie in the WCHA (he was on fire during the second half last year, which gets forgotten in the Anchorage losses) and a few players stepping up, but didn't see the team effort coming this fast.

Quote:
Is Kangas playing this year? Just curious. He kept the team alive after Briggs left. I never liked Frazee much. Patterson is just a monster this year though.

And you know how much I like short skill guys!
Kangas graduated last year. It's Patterson, who has played every minute, and his backup is Michael Shibrowski who transferred from CC.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I more meant professionally. I liked Kangas.

Oddly enough Briggs was playing for the ECHL Ontario Reign the last couple years where Darcy Kuemper is now playing.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I more meant professionally. I liked Kangas.

Oddly enough Briggs was playing for the ECHL Ontario Reign the last couple years where Darcy Kuemper is now playing.
Yes but can't remember for which team. I can tell you when I get home but don't think the Thrashers/Jets signed him.

EDIT: It's the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL.

Last edited by GopherState: 11-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

The amount of gopher fans going to USCHO to see the rankings crashed the site

Link

Old
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Was eating at the cafeteria here at BSU and ran into Dean Blais. Didn't get a chance to talk to him as he was talking to someone who looked really important, haha.

Old
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Well, this is depressing...

Old
11-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Wheels already coming off the minnesota sports optimism bandwagon

Old
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM