HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Lars Eller Thread

View Poll Results: What would you do with Lars Eller?
Try and play him more for trade bait? 6 3.14%
Play him with better line mates? 141 73.82%
Let him finish the year and see how it goes? 44 23.04%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-23-2011, 12:40 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
One thing I'd like to address, people keep saying that eller has a bad shot. I don't think that's true at all. Anyone get a look at that shot he whizzed by thomas? His accuracy needs some work, but the power is there. Problem with eller is that he gets about 90% of his shots blocked, which comes down to timing and decision making.
His shot release is quite slow for a NHL player.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:41 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
One thing I'd like to address, people keep saying that eller has a bad shot. I don't think that's true at all. Anyone get a look at that shot he whizzed by thomas? His accuracy needs some work, but the power is there. Problem with eller is that he gets about 90% of his shots blocked, which comes down to timing and decision making.
Eller's biggest weakness in his shot is he does that same little foot shuffle and stick flutter every single shot. It gives goalies a second and a half to see that he's shooting instead of passing which is more than enough time to stop it.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure he won't progress past the age of 22 as well. Safe bet.
He's not only one who sees it. He's got good skills but he doesn't have the finish. I've rarely looked at Eller and thought "WOW".

I chose "Let him finish the year and see how it goes?" but that's only because there's a lack of options IMO. I want him on the team and think he'll be a good two-way 3rd line center for us down the road. Can he make it as a top 6? Maybe, but I don't think he's offensively gifted enough to play #2 or #1 center and for the habs to be a dangerous team. It's just how I evaluate him, it's not a lack of skill nor a lack of hockey sense. He makes smart plays and has good vision and plays a good defensive game but I don't see the finish. I don't know what he's lacking per se because i've seen him do nice moves and all that, but he reminds me NOTHING of plekanec. Plekanec drives to the net more, he shoots more, he's just better. I don't see Eller as aggressive enough to be Plekanec or better like some people suggest. He looks like a safe, reliable player. Plekanec is likely going to have his 6th consecutive 20+ goal season. In plek's first year, at about 22-23 years old(same as eller) he had 9 goals, 29 points in 67 GP. Not earth shattering numbers but to match that pace, Eller needs to have 8G, 16A, 24PTS in next 48 GP. Basically, if eller can go .5ppg he'll match Plekanec. Is it a fair comparison? Maybe not, as statistics are just statistics and don't tell the full story. I never saw Plek as a legit 1st line center even after AK27-Plek-AK46 dominated that one year. That break out year plek was 24-25. So eller has time, surely, to become the 'next plekanec'. He has the skills, the size, talent and hockey sense to do so, but Plekanec emerged as a true #1 center when he wasn't afraid to go in traffic and "play like a little girl". Not saying Eller does, but Eller, at his size, does not play nor resemble plekanec at all for me right now. Then again, Plek at 22 doesn't resemble him right now either. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have faith he can become a good player for us, but I question his true upside. I wouldn't trade him unless he flat out stops improving.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:58 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He's not only one who sees it. He's got good skills but he doesn't have the finish. I've rarely looked at Eller and thought "WOW".

I chose "Let him finish the year and see how it goes?" but that's only because there's a lack of options IMO. I want him on the team and think he'll be a good two-way 3rd line center for us down the road. Can he make it as a top 6? Maybe, but I don't think he's offensively gifted enough to play #2 or #1 center and for the habs to be a dangerous team. It's just how I evaluate him, it's not a lack of skill nor a lack of hockey sense. He makes smart plays and has good vision and plays a good defensive game but I don't see the finish. I don't know what he's lacking per se because i've seen him do nice moves and all that, but he reminds me NOTHING of plekanec. Plekanec drives to the net more, he shoots more, he's just better. I don't see Eller as aggressive enough to be Plekanec or better like some people suggest. He looks like a safe, reliable player. Plekanec is likely going to have his 6th consecutive 20+ goal season. In plek's first year, at about 22-23 years old(same as eller) he had 9 goals, 29 points in 67 GP. Not earth shattering numbers but to match that pace, Eller needs to have 8G, 16A, 24PTS in next 48 GP. Basically, if eller can go .5ppg he'll match Plekanec. Is it a fair comparison? Maybe not, as statistics are just statistics and don't tell the full story. I never saw Plek as a legit 1st line center even after AK27-Plek-AK46 dominated that one year. That break out year plek was 24-25. So eller has time, surely, to become the 'next plekanec'. He has the skills, the size, talent and hockey sense to do so, but Plekanec emerged as a true #1 center when he wasn't afraid to go in traffic and "play like a little girl". Not saying Eller does, but Eller, at his size, does not play nor resemble plekanec at all for me right now. Then again, Plek at 22 doesn't resemble him right now either. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have faith he can become a good player for us, but I question his true upside. I wouldn't trade him unless he flat out stops improving.
Plek had the chance to play in the AHL and domimnate at that level. Eller should had been sent to Hamilton last season to sharpen his offensive skills...But..of course, Gauthier kept him to justify the Halak's trade.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
????I love Price and have been ever since we drafted him....AND WAS VERY, VERY HAPPY WE TRADED HALAK .

And yes I get this from a 22 years old player who at time looked great and not so great in other times. His track records in other league sugest he is not a goal scorer or a 1st line center. I'm not bashing him, I just see him playing a 3rd line role down the road. He may start producing but I dought he will be more then a 40 point guy.
The more I watch him the more I agree with you. I hope he turns into something special but I see him as a solid defensive guy with average offensive numbers. He fits the mold of the organization.(Develop as many Bob Gaineys as possible) That is not a bad thing as he was a great player but it would be nice to have a superstar player which we have not had for quite a long time.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
And you get this from a 22 year old right ? The same way everyone wanted to dump Price at 19-20 You guys kill me !
Who wanted to dump price at 19-20? At 19 years old he won WJC Gold, WJC MVP, Calder Cup, Calder Cup MVP, CHL Goalie of the year. In fact not even a year after he was drafted Jose Theodore was traded after being brutal for us. Most people wanted to rush price but we were lucky we had Huet. I'd argue most were thrilled we had him at that point...when he was only 18. Even more so at 19 after his dominant season.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Plek had the chance to play in the AHL and domimnate at that level. Eller should had been sent to Hamilton last season to sharpen his offensive skills...But..of course, Gauthier kept him to justify the Halak's trade.
Eller played in the SEL for two years and played in AHL for 1. Plek only played AHL full year in 2004-05 because of the lockout. Eller may have been a little raw at beginning of last year but he has a year of the NHL under his belt and he's clearly NHL ready. I would agree that it would've given him time to refine his offensive game, but I'm not sure how much it would've changed. I mean Maxwell did well in minors...we kept him there longer, no real gain. Aaron Palushaj did VERY well in minors offensively, his NHL output? Not so good. It depends the player and while Eller was raw last year, I think it was a coin flip, he was NHL ready and I think he would learn more at NHL level than AHL level.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
exactly...

and when you look at how effectively he gets his shots off, and how well he creates space for himself to create shooting opportunities, you can see that as he improves his timing/decision making, he will start putting in a lot of those near misses/blocks.

watching him play, all I see is a player who will vastly improve as he gets more minutes/experience under his belt... hence why it frustrates me to no end the way JM has managed his ice time/roles.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
He is miles better than last year. Faster, Can Protect the puck better, Better Vision, Better Shot. The only problem is a guy named GOMEZ. Who plays on the PP instead of him.

He will be a #2 C soon enough.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem will solve itself by the start of next season (Gomez), or I think it willl.

In the meantime, keep giving him as much quality icetime as possible...With the re-occuring number of injuries, his projection to become an establihed solid hockey player won't be diminished....

I feel confident, as the season progresses, the game will become more physical, he will emerge and take more ice on the PP ...

LowBallFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:32 PM
holyhabs

Wait until AK comes back and they will consistently be the 2nd best line every night....at worst.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

I think they can package Eller and Desharnais for a good centre in return.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
No thanks. I like AK and DD. Rather keep them. Replace Gomez, not the young guns.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Something like I was thinking. Or trade Eller for an older and more expensive but offensive center

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Only thing in the way of Eller is Gomez...

When he was out we were running 3 offensive lines and it worked great.

Send that useless sack of crap to wavers already.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

Nah, you don't send gomez for waivers. As of now, he'll stick the entire year for depth reasons. As bad as he is, we have nobody decent to bring up. For now he's got rest of the year to redeem himself. Not to mention, no one will claim him, so putting him to AHL now isn't smart move.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

The Habs are a better team with Gomez(playing at 09-10 level...15-45-60) than without him.

You talk like Eller is ready to be a #2 center which he isn't yet. He needs to improve his shot and his release, plus he is making too many high risk plays in his own end.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:40 PM
AllanMTL46

Give him Kostitsyn and Moen and see if they can keep up what they were doing when on the same line. Can't really place him higher in the lines because of Gomez, but Kostitsyn is still a player he has success playing with.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs are a better team with Gomez(playing at 09-10 level...15-45-60) than without him.

You talk like Eller is ready to be a #2 center which he isn't yet. He needs to improve his shot and his release, plus he is making too many high risk plays in his own end.
The team was fine without Gomez, in fact they did great, I don't see how we can't have DD on the second line with Eller pivoting a third offensive line along with Moen and AK once he's back.

In fact IMO Gomez shouldn't even be a factor in the equation.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:21 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

I agree that he plays better with AK and Moen. I also agree with many of your comments on how Gomez has brought his play down. But if a player who was a former 17th overall pick and was the key piece in the Halak trade, i think he should have been sent to the minors last year and this year he would get called up and would be playing with better overall game especially finishing.
I could imagine that he could of put 25 goals and 30-35 assists last year in the ahl which of boosted his confidence to shoot the puck and be a better shooter. As you saw last year he didn't shoot the puck as much as he is doing now.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Maliki2 and Young Gun are silly.
Like i said, he has to find that back of the net or maybe a trade can bring us someone that can ,,,all i'm saying

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Habskrieg

Eller really needs to play center. ****ing JM being a constant dumb**** keeps putting him at the wing. As soon as Gomez's out of the picture, Eller starts playing well and at his natural position. Coincidence?

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:58 PM
EveryDay

JM is an idiot ...... Eller is the strongest Center in MTL

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Pax Macioretty

hey hey, who would of thought? Eller plays center and oops, he's good again!

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
What would I do with Eller? I'd put him in a position to succeed.....trade him....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What would I do with Eller? I'd put him in a position to succeed.....trade him....
Guaranteed he is a 2nd line guy getting at least 60 points per year and playing a solid two way game under another coach.

Would hate to see the Habs do that, and I know it is sarcastic...but we know this would happen.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote