HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Lars Eller Thread

View Poll Results: What would you do with Lars Eller?
Try and play him more for trade bait? 6 3.14%
Play him with better line mates? 141 73.82%
Let him finish the year and see how it goes? 44 23.04%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-24-2011, 12:37 AM
G0bias

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Totally agree, although I refuse to refer to him as "big" until he plays more like 6'2" and less like 5'10". And yeah, he should not only be playing centre every night (and thus, you know, getting better at it over time), he should also be playing more than 10-12 mins and getting serious PP time.
I don't see much 5'10 centers dominating the play around the boards like Eller does.

G0bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Quoted for truth.

The reality is JM has done an excellent job bringing young guys along...

Price, Subban, MaxPac....

He knows alot more about hockey and developing talent than the fools complaining about him.

It's the rule of gratification delay- making a prospect force your hand before you give them more rope.
Yeah, you're right, look at how well he developed Lapierre, O'byrne, S.Kost, Pouliot, Lats, D'ago... all of them (except Pouliot) went on to do so well after leaving montreal, must have been from the wonderful coaching they got from good ol' talent maximizer JM

actually maybe not...

maybe Price, Subban and MaxPac are the exceptions that prove the rule. Guys SO talented that even being dicked around by Mr.Martin couldn't stop them from shining.

Watching how he's dealing with Eller, I can't see how anyone who knows anything about performance at an elite team sports level and athlete development can argue that he's doing a good job of bringing him along.

Eller will eventually be a very good, if not great player... and some people will try to credit JM's handling of him with that (you know, like how Subban was "developped" by Martin, even though he was stellar right from his first real taste of NHL hockey with the team & coach, in the playoffs no less).

Reality is that under a better coach, Eller would ALREADY be further along, b/c he'd have been properly rewarded for his effort, attitude, and most importantly relative effectiveness... instead of being forced to take a back seat to a far less effective veteran player, just because.

JM's roster/player management is just plain brutal... completely stuck in an old school mentality that ignores the fundamental difference in the today's NHL, where young players are physically and mentally much better prepared than they were in the 90's, and where the pace of the game actually favors the youthful energy/stamina that they have.

To play Gomez ahead of Eller on the "depth chart", at this point, is beyond ludicrous. Both in immediate dividend to the team and in the long-term development of the team.

Brutal...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Can someone YT his goal (non) celebration tonight? This really deserves a gif!
kid is mature well beyond his years... focused, poised, and fundamentally committed to the team.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Robin Hood

On that first goal it looked as if it was Montreal on the PP.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
I don't see much 5'10 centers dominating the play around the boards like Eller does.
If you see any amount/pattern of "board domination" by Eller, then we have distinctly different prescriptions for our rose-coloured glasses. He still gets pushed around far more than he pushes opponents around, from my observation. He's a "skilled" centre, not a "big" centre, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I'd definitely keep Lars Eller on drums.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:31 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Plekanec > Desharnais > Eller > Gomez

Stop giving Gomez more ice time than Eller.
Plekanec > Eller > Gomez > Desharnais

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
I'm inclined to agree (especially if we're primarily ranking them as centres as opposed to "skill"/"talent"/"impact"/whatever), but it's hard to argue with Desharnais' production so far this year compared to those other two cats at the "bottom" end.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If you see any amount/pattern of "board domination" by Eller, then we have distinctly different prescriptions for our rose-coloured glasses. He still gets pushed around far more than he pushes opponents around, from my observation. He's a "skilled" centre, not a "big" centre, imo.
He might get pushed around more, that is okay, same was true of maxpac two years ago but nobody ever denied his size.
Eller has a very respectable 6'2 size,. With more leg, stability and balance work, with added muscle weight, he will be able to naturally impose himself more.
He does not mind crashing the net or going into the corners, and he's no push over either. Just has some things to work on. He will get there for sure, I am convinced of it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree (especially if we're primarily ranking them as centres as opposed to "skill"/"talent"/"impact"/whatever), but it's hard to argue with Desharnais' production so far this year compared to those other two cats at the "bottom" end.
To be honest, I think Eller would have more points than DD had he gotten the same ice time and linemates.

Old
11-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To be honest, I think Eller would have more points than DD had he gotten the same ice time and linemates.
The Habs are giving Eller the AHL in the NHL experience.Like a "pay as you go" cell phone, Eller got a NHL "play as you go" on the Bell Network in Montreal.

When they feel they can let the leash off, you'll see it happen.

As of a few weeks ago , Martin was saying his game wasn't there saying Eller playing well, but yet to show the offensive side .

Last edited by Habaneros: 11-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:17 AM
muzion

Quote:
He's very good in the corners and knows how to cycle the puck, unlike our no 1 centre...

He was all over the ice in the 3rd period yet did not see the ice in OT...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Netro

It's real simple, IMO. Eller must play centre and I'd like to see him with some offensive linemates. I am a little perplexed that JM doesn't see the offensive potential in this kid (do I recall correctly JM saying last month something to the effects that he is not sure about the offensive upside in Eller?).

This is a kid that has solid #2C written all over him down the road. And he has size. He is still only 22 and will fill out. Yes, he has faceoff issues, but he can work on that. Crosby was horrid on faceoffs his 1st year in the NHL and worked on it and is now one of the best.

I'd like to see Pleks, Eller, Gomez (yes, Gomez) and Noky as the 4 centres with DD on the wing.

Eller is exactly the C the Habs have been needing.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
The Habs are giving Eller the AHL in the NHL experience.Like a "pay as you go" cell phone, Eller got a NHL "play as you go" on the Bell Network in Montreal.

When they feel they can let the leash off, you'll see it happen.

As of a few weeks ago , Martin was saying his game wasn't there saying Eller playing well, but yet to show the offensive side .
I believe what he said was that he needed to finish more, not that he did not show his offensive side. His line was very dominant with AK, and JM acknowledged that if I remember correctly.

Old
11-24-2011, 07:56 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Good game last night and he seems to continuing his development. I don't see why he could not be a solid second line centre down the road. I guess only time will determine that but I would in now way want to trade him any time soon.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Free Lars Eller

Eller needs to be unchained by JM. It is so frustrating to see a young complete forward like him in rapid progression seeing his ice time cut and position taken away to make room for Gomez. I get JM's love affair for vets, I get it, it's politics, vets control the room and if he loses them, he loses his job. But at some point sanity must prevail.

The only thing that could excuse such a bonheaded move is if it's a last ditch effort to increase Gomez's value to trade him or at least be certain he can't get up again, but in that case, we should see all this come to an end in the upcoming days, otherwise I just don't understand.

Now I don't know the situation with Gomez's injury but hopefully we don't get to see this embarrassing roster management all over again when he comes back. Time to put a fork in this one.

BTW, where's the option "LET HIM PLAY CENTER FOR F-SAKE!" in the poll? This is what I'm voting for. He hasn't shown he could produce at a high clip yet so 3rd line is probably fine but there's a freakin Grand Canyon of difference between his play between wing and center.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:12 AM
gillyguzzler

How did you interpret Eller's reaction to his goal? Maybe nothing to it but I'm noticing that Eller is looking pissed since Gomez is back and he's been on the wing. JM always has a whipping boy and Eller seems to be it lately (with AK injured). If Eller played as badly defensively as Gomez and especially Cammy, he's sit and sit and sit. For vets like Gomez and Cammy, the errors are continuous and there are never ice time consequences from JM. I'm thinking that Eller is very frustrated but, as the young guy on the team, he has grin and bear it and he'll get his chance.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:20 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
How did you interpret Eller's reaction to his goal? Maybe nothing to it but I'm noticing that Eller is looking pissed since Gomez is back and he's been on the wing. JM always has a whipping boy and Eller seems to be it lately (with AK injured). If Eller played as badly defensively as Gomez and especially Cammy, he's sit and sit and sit. For vets like Gomez and Cammy, the errors are continuous and there are never ice time consequences from JM. I'm thinking that Eller is very frustrated but, as the young guy on the team, he has grin and bear it and he'll get his chance.
No goal celebrations when you are alone in the offensive zone look stupid. Trust me, the only real reason he didn't throw his arms up and stop skating was because he was alone (on the PK ). Nothing more, nothing less.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:01 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Eller is really coming along nicely. Next year will be the break out year once we unload Gomez.

And:

Plekanec>Eller>Decharnais

As we saw on the Sutter goal, Desharnais is simply limited by his size. Not to mention he has 3 years on Eller.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:08 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Yeah, you're right, look at how well he developed Lapierre, O'byrne, S.Kost, Pouliot, Lats, D'ago... all of them (except Pouliot) went on to do so well after leaving montreal, must have been from the wonderful coaching they got from good ol' talent maximizer JM

actually maybe not...

maybe Price, Subban and MaxPac are the exceptions that prove the rule. Guys SO talented that even being dicked around by Mr.Martin couldn't stop them from shining.

Watching how he's dealing with Eller, I can't see how anyone who knows anything about performance at an elite team sports level and athlete development can argue that he's doing a good job of bringing him along.

Eller will eventually be a very good, if not great player... and some people will try to credit JM's handling of him with that (you know, like how Subban was "developped" by Martin, even though he was stellar right from his first real taste of NHL hockey with the team & coach, in the playoffs no less).

Reality is that under a better coach, Eller would ALREADY be further along, b/c he'd have been properly rewarded for his effort, attitude, and most importantly relative effectiveness... instead of being forced to take a back seat to a far less effective veteran player, just because.

JM's roster/player management is just plain brutal... completely stuck in an old school mentality that ignores the fundamental difference in the today's NHL, where young players are physically and mentally much better prepared than they were in the 90's, and where the pace of the game actually favors the youthful energy/stamina that they have.

To play Gomez ahead of Eller on the "depth chart", at this point, is beyond ludicrous. Both in immediate dividend to the team and in the long-term development of the team.

Brutal...
Umm no. The guys you mentioned are for the most part scrubs. Talent is Talent, so don't lump Eller in with Pouliot please...

And as for Subban, how quickly people forget. You do realize when Subban was called up he was a MAJOR liability in his own zone? How he would constantly be out of position, and was just a complete mess within his own blue line? Subban is now GREAT in his own zone. Same goes with MaxPac. Eller has already developed that aspect as well.

Martin is in the business of developing great two way players. Eller is well on schedule...

Bottom line is you have already made an opinion about JM and that won't allow you to be fair when analyzing. I just call it how I see it. I criticize JM when he deserves it, but give him credit when it's due. And JM has done an EXCELLENT job developing young two way talent for this organization...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post

Desharnais has been our most creative center this season and rightfully deserves everything he's getting. That Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line has been golden for us this season, no reason to brake it.

Sure he had a defensive brain cramp when he went to block Sutter on the outside instead of simply lifting his stick, but hey, all of our centers have done it this year, including Plekanec and Eller.

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

I'm surprised to read that some denies Eller's good work in board battles. Pushed or being pushed, doesn't matter as long as the battle ends with puck possession (himself or a teammate).

I'll try to make a tally of his board wins/losses in future games. Shouldn't be too much work given his amount of icetime.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I'm surprised to read that some denies Eller's good work in board battles. Pushed or being pushed, doesn't matter as long as the battle ends with puck possession (himself or a teammate).

I'll try to make a tally of this in futre games. Shouldn't be too much work given his amount of icetime.
I don't think you have to bother, Just_thoughts blog takes care of offensive zone events such as board battles. You should check it out.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
pine*

#FreeEller

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Paul Dipietro

Eller needs to hang on until AK gets back in the lineup

Probably his only chance of playing with top-6 talent...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote