HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Lars Eller Thread

View Poll Results: What would you do with Lars Eller?
Try and play him more for trade bait? 6 3.14%
Play him with better line mates? 141 73.82%
Let him finish the year and see how it goes? 44 23.04%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
No, but if that's the highest you're aiming for you're pretty much saying "I will never give top line minutes to Lars Eller" as a coach.
Except we don't have a Crosby and Malkin on our team?

He's averaging 20:38 TOI/G this year.

21:21 Last year

19:23 the year before

19:50 the year before that

18:16 as a rookie

All behind crosby and malkin. Yeah, Jordan staal doesn't play a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL dude if he becomes as good as Jordan Staal or better... you may as well start cleaning up the rafters as we speak because we'll be contenders.
What he ^^^ said.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Is he wrong? He's on pace for 25pts, not exactly offensive beast. I mean, not bashing the guy, I like him and want him on our team for a long time, but like JM, I see him as a Jordan staal type of elite 3rd line center type in his prime rather than a 2nd line center guy. I still think Staal is better though(obviously).

The guy has 3 points in 9 games with our 2nd line center(won't dispute gomez sucks) out. I expect him to break out in next 2 years, but he's still a 3rd liner at this point. Some 3rd liners get 40 points, he's on pace for 25. yah, he's gotten chances and all that, but his FO skills aren't top notch and he's not a natural offensive player IMO. I see him as you do, a solid two way guy and I don't see him becoming greater than Plekanec or as you said, Staal. Staal will always be better. If you could swap the two now, would you? I would even add.

I said a few pages back I'd love to have:

Plekanec
Staal
Eller

As our centers and I still would like that, but unless Eller breaks out a la Plekanec, I see him as a Plekanec lite. More of a good-enough-to-be 2nd liner in his prime, but best suited for 3rd line position.
The centeres you have mentioned would be Martin's wet dream, I hope he sees your post and gives a memo to PG Three 1b centers with Plekanec carrying them because he is older, plus he's already our established first line centerman. Wowie.

I did say he is warming up, as he hasn't had the benefit of a pre-season like most of the team. Towards the end of last year, he was finally starting to bury his chances but it just doesn't look like he has that same timing so far and I attrubute it to his late start. From the games I've seen he could have had a hat trick in both of the Boston matches, it's just a matter of finding his mojo. 25 points this year would be a let down considering how well he has been playing so far.

The comparison I made to Staal was a hyperbole. Saying that I guarantee he will bew better, as he trails Staal by a couple of hundred poionts career-wise, is obviously a bit of a stretch. But let's not forget Eller's case is sort of like Kostitsyn where he came over after playing overseas and had to adapt to his environment, and they both dominated the AHL. Fitting that they compliment eachother so well on the ice. Different scenarios but I believe Eller is almost a carbon copy.

I suspect that by the end of the year, Eller will be the second line center. If Gomez can come back and be a positive force driving this team forward and not sucking out all the offensive potential of everyone around him, Eller will be our third line center ideally and will eat up the competition due to our sudden miraculous depth at center (especially next year with LL in the fold).

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Ginu

If Kostitsyn can teach him the wrist shot and Cammalleri teach him the slap shot, we'll have a heck of a player on our hands.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Aeneas

People who are bringing up what he's on pace for, this is still a small sample size, I'm not saying he will put up monster numbers, but look at the way he is playing, he is consistently one of the better players on the ice for us, he came back from injury to start the year give him some time still, he's playing great.

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
People who are bringing up what he's on pace for, this is still a small sample size, I'm not saying he will put up monster numbers, but look at the way he is playing, he is consistently one of the better players on the ice for us, he came back from injury to start the year give him some time still, he's playing great.
Exactly, and he might not have monster numbers but I do predict a 10pt ish point streak at some point give or take a game. And I do think it will push his numbers up to maybe the 35-40pt range.

I know I'm being optimistic but he and Kostitsyn have looked too good together. If they do put Patches on that line they will quickly become the A line barring a total flop on Eller's part. Thus far he has looked amazing. If we're just judging how he plays and not stats he's been great. Remember Plekanec didn't start off as a ppg NHL player. (Not that he currently is but he's a great overall player)

Lars Eller can go from having a 20pt season to an 80pt season. Development is like that at times.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
One goal...and he is a super star !....

Let's wait a bit.
LOL what a fail of a post.

the articles headline in BIG BLACK BOLD

SOPHOMORE ELLER SETTLING IN AS TWO-WAY CENTRE FOR CANADIENS

two.way.center. but no no, your post was clever!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Habitant#1

JM is smarter than all of us: he said it do that Eller will be extra motivated to prove him wrong and produce offensively.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Is he wrong? He's on pace for 25pts, not exactly offensive beast. I mean, not bashing the guy, I like him and want him on our team for a long time, but like JM, I see him as a Jordan staal type of elite 3rd line center type in his prime rather than a 2nd line center guy. I still think Staal is better though(obviously).

The guy has 3 points in 9 games with our 2nd line center(won't dispute gomez sucks) out. I expect him to break out in next 2 years, but he's still a 3rd liner at this point. Some 3rd liners get 40 points

Eller has gotten almost zero powerplay time thus far, typically only top line level players manage even 40 even strength points in a season. Any 3rd liner that got 40 points almost certainly played at least 2nd unit with the man advantage. If he scores 30-35 points this year at even strength then he's scoring about at a top six level.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The centeres you have mentioned would be Martin's wet dream, I hope he sees your post and gives a memo to PG Three 1b centers with Plekanec carrying them because he is older, plus he's already our established first line centerman. Wowie.

I did say he is warming up, as he hasn't had the benefit of a pre-season like most of the team. Towards the end of last year, he was finally starting to bury his chances but it just doesn't look like he has that same timing so far and I attrubute it to his late start. From the games I've seen he could have had a hat trick in both of the Boston matches, it's just a matter of finding his mojo. 25 points this year would be a let down considering how well he has been playing so far.

The comparison I made to Staal was a hyperbole. Saying that I guarantee he will bew better, as he trails Staal by a couple of hundred poionts career-wise, is obviously a bit of a stretch. But let's not forget Eller's case is sort of like Kostitsyn where he came over after playing overseas and had to adapt to his environment, and they both dominated the AHL. Fitting that they compliment eachother so well on the ice. Different scenarios but I believe Eller is almost a carbon copy.

I suspect that by the end of the year, Eller will be the second line center. If Gomez can come back and be a positive force driving this team forward and not sucking out all the offensive potential of everyone around him, Eller will be our third line center ideally and will eat up the competition due to our sudden miraculous depth at center (especially next year with LL in the fold).
I actually consider the line-up with Staal possible. Due to playing at 18, he's a UFA at 25 years old, 2 years more basically. I doubt Pittsburg can keep the 3 especially if his salary increases. We can swoop in and give him an offer to be a go to guy while still having good centers to compliment him.

As for Eller, yeah, he didn't have training camp and will get better, but I do not expect him to make only 25 pts, it would be a letdown. Still, you suggested he'd be better than Staal. You gotta understand my perception reading that. History aside, I'd be shocked if Eller ever beats Staal's play from here on out. It's not a shot at Eller, it's a compliment to Staal.

I'd argue David Desharnais has played more minutes and given more offense than Eller, but people mention him having favourable matchups, but when it comes to Eller, Eller is pure talent and yada yada. It should be applicable to both or none. Eller is facing easier competition than DD(i believe) and considering that, DD has been putting up more offensive numbers. I mean, Gomez is still better than both on FOs and honestly I don't think Eller will beat out both be a large enough margin to steal 2nd line C spot. Not saying he can't get better, but I think he's slotted at 3rd line and DD/Gomez will be the real options for 2nd line.

As for LL, he will likely be a winger no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
That's true and I didn't mean to say he will actually finish with that, but JM said he hasn't put out big numbers yet and it shows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Eller has gotten almost zero powerplay time thus far, typically only top line level players manage even 40 even strength points in a season. Any 3rd liner that got 40 points almost certainly played at least 2nd unit with the man advantage. If he scores 30-35 points this year at even strength then he's scoring about at a top six level.
What about DD then? Who is facing better competition? Either way, I hope he gets 30-35 in his role, it would mean he's capable of 2nd line minutes but I don't think he's a 2nd liner just yet or a top notch 2nd liner ever. I mean, Plekanec is more of a 1B than a true franchise center as it is and I don't think he'll be as good as Plek.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:16 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Eller has impressed me bigtime, and I expected it to a certain extent (I was high on time the whole time, since the draft. I was pissed when he didn't take him).

That being said, he lacks finish. He's fantastic as a two way centre and will only get bettern but finish is hard to teach. And many members of the media have said this before, ever since we got him. McGuire said he had potential to be an elite 3rd line C or a good 2nd line C. I tend to agree, but I hope I'm wrong. There's nothing wrong if that's what he ends up developing into though...At the end of the day you need an elite two way centre to win the cup. That's why Bergeron is so valuable despite not really being an offensive superstar.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
If Kostitsyn can teach him the wrist shot and Cammalleri teach him the slap shot, we'll have a heck of a player on our hands.
Pleks can teach him on how to finish in a wide open net, kid has a hard time when it's too easy

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM
THE HOFF

He needs to work on his finish. The goal he scored against the B's is highlight material...and you can see that he has the skills and the puck control to create. But he has to stop missing the puck on open nets, and put a little more weight on the puck when he is being set up for a one timer (instead of making sure he hits the net ... its in his head.). Its looking good, no doubt ... but he needs to practice his finish and goals will come ... scrapy, clean, and highlight goals ...

I want to keep the creme and the finesse ... but man do I want to see him shovel the puck AND the goalie behind that line.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 11-03-2011 at 10:15 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Et le But

Eller has better hands than Jordan Staal.

I don't want to underrate Staal by any means, we will be lucky if Eller ends up a Staal like player, but he should be aiming to be putting up more Mikko Koivu type numbers, and while he probably won't be quite that good, he has the talent for it.

Finish is hard to teach, but you see glimpses where Eller looks like he should be an offensive force. The fact that he's getting so close makes me think it's only a matter of time before he doubles his production...it might not happen this season but it could happen at any moment, sometimes it's a surprisingly small adjustment.

There's a chance I could be wrong, but Eller already has a better shot than Gomez at least. I'm more worried about his faceoff ability, that's something he definitely needs to improve.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:01 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

The guy has 3 points in 9 games with our 2nd line center(won't dispute gomez sucks) out. I expect him to break out in next 2 years, but he's still a 3rd liner at this point. Some 3rd liners get 40 points, he's on pace for 25. yah, he's gotten chances and all that, but his FO skills aren't top notch and he's not a natural offensive player IMO. I see him as you do, a solid two way guy and I don't see him becoming greater than Plekanec or as you said, Staal. Staal will always be better. If you could swap the two now, would you? I would even add.

I said a few pages back I'd love to have:

Plekanec
Staal
Eller

As our centers and I still would like that, but unless Eller breaks out a la Plekanec, I see him as a Plekanec lite. More of a good-enough-to-be 2nd liner in his prime, but best suited for 3rd line position.
Plekanec is best suited for a 3rd line role?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Plekanec is best suited for a 3rd line role?
Not sure where I said that.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I actually consider the line-up with Staal possible. Due to playing at 18, he's a UFA at 25 years old, 2 years more basically. I doubt Pittsburg can keep the 3 especially if his salary increases. We can swoop in and give him an offer to be a go to guy while still having good centers to compliment him.

As for Eller, yeah, he didn't have training camp and will get better, but I do not expect him to make only 25 pts, it would be a letdown. Still, you suggested he'd be better than Staal. You gotta understand my perception reading that. History aside, I'd be shocked if Eller ever beats Staal's play from here on out. It's not a shot at Eller, it's a compliment to Staal.

I'd argue David Desharnais has played more minutes and given more offense than Eller, but people mention him having favourable matchups, but when it comes to Eller, Eller is pure talent and yada yada. It should be applicable to both or none. Eller is facing easier competition than DD(i believe) and considering that, DD has been putting up more offensive numbers. I mean, Gomez is still better than both on FOs and honestly I don't think Eller will beat out both be a large enough margin to steal 2nd line C spot. Not saying he can't get better, but I think he's slotted at 3rd line and DD/Gomez will be the real options for 2nd line.

As for LL, he will likely be a winger no?

That's true and I didn't mean to say he will actually finish with that, but JM said he hasn't put out big numbers yet and it shows that.

What about DD then? Who is facing better competition? Either way, I hope he gets 30-35 in his role, it would mean he's capable of 2nd line minutes but I don't think he's a 2nd liner just yet or a top notch 2nd liner ever. I mean, Plekanec is more of a 1B than a true franchise center as it is and I don't think he'll be as good as Plek.
Eller has gotten way tougher matchups this year, either played shutdown with Pleks or centered a line facing 2nd line competition this year. Desharnais has been matched against the opposition's third line pretty much exclusively except for his disaster game against Pittsburgh. Desharnais is also started heavily in the offensive zone while Eller gets basically neutral zone starts.

Desharnais line has almost always been exclusively offensive use which helps him a ton because he's not that great of a territorial player. Which has been smart usage by Martin to get the most out of him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Eller has gotten way tougher matchups this year, either played shutdown with Pleks or centered a line facing 2nd line competition this year. Desharnais has been matched against the opposition's third line pretty much exclusively except for his disaster game against Pittsburgh. Desharnais is also started heavily in the offensive zone while Eller gets basically neutral zone starts.

Desharnais line has almost always been exclusively offensive use which helps him a ton because he's not that great of a territorial player. Which has been smart usage by Martin to get the most out of him.
In such statistics, there's always two sides to the coin. I never denied Eller being the better two-way player, and when the time came to score goals or play offensively, you said it himself, the coaching staff felt DD could get the job done over Eller, hence the preference in the O-zone. You can call it a negative thing towards DD, but I also see it as a positive. They trust he's more capable offensively. To be fair though, DD has tore up any league he's played in and has great vision in the offensive zone, so it's nothing against eller, nor does it mean DD will have the better career, but IMO, at this point in time, I'll stick to what i said all along, Eller will be our jordan staal. It's pretty clear to me that Plekanec is our first line center and eller is locked as our 3rd. They will give Gomez every opportunity to regain 2nd line center position, and if not, I see DD as his replacement on top 2 lines. Does it mean DD is better? Maybe not, but he sure as he's more suited for the role and he's clearly a better offensive player.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Miller Time

"Kesler does not have any offensive traits that particularly stand out. He has relatively average puckhandling, passing, vision, and shooting but he is very consistent with all of these skills and tends to avoid making mistakes. He is a great skater who has a good understanding of the defensive side of the game, showing maturity for a player his age. He has the size and strength to match up with any opposition as well. Kesler will likely never be a full-time second line center, although he may float between the second and third lines at times of his career. What he looks to be on course to become is an elite checking line player who can contain the stars of the league while chipping in up to 40-45 points at his offensive peak. Kesler isnít a prospect with a lot of shine to him, but he is the type of player that every championship team needs to have. He will likely be in the Canucks opening night line-up."

compare that to Eller's write up:

Eller has decent size, is a good skater with very good technical skills. He also works hard and is in general very well-rounded as a player. His scoring touch is pretty good, but Eller is much more noticeable as a playmaker. He has really good hockey sense and has that special ability to find openings that few other players can. A team player, he plays a good two-way game, but could still use some fine-tuning in his defensive game and play without the puck.

point isn't to say that Eller will turn into Kesler, but more to illustrate how silly it is to consider a 20-25year old hockey player as "destined" to be this or that, based on where he's at as a late teen or in his early 20's.

the key component always comes back to work ethic/attitude. Even with, as they put it, "average" hockey skills, Kesler turned himself into a borderline hart trophy candidate, capable of 70+pts/40+goals.

Eller has all the tools to be an elite player, IF his work ethic is enough to push him to that level... and from everything we've seen/read about him thus far, it appears he has the kind of head on his shoulders that should allow him to continue improving every year, much like Kesler did, much like our own Plekanec did.

won't be surprised one bit if Eller develops into a very good first line player down the road, in fact i'd be more surprised if he "only" topped out as an average 2nd liner/good 3rd liner.

time will tell.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:44 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Eller has better hands than Jordan Staal.

I don't want to underrate Staal by any means, we will be lucky if Eller ends up a Staal like player, but he should be aiming to be putting up more Mikko Koivu type numbers, and while he probably won't be quite that good, he has the talent for it.

Finish is hard to teach, but you see glimpses where Eller looks like he should be an offensive force. The fact that he's getting so close makes me think it's only a matter of time before he doubles his production...it might not happen this season but it could happen at any moment, sometimes it's a surprisingly small adjustment.

There's a chance I could be wrong, but Eller already has a better shot than Gomez at least. I'm more worried about his faceoff ability, that's something he definitely needs to improve.
I probably have a better wrister than Gomez and I've only played on ice a couple of times.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think we'd be all happy if Lars scores 20 goals in a season. Since it's likely he'll be a Plekanec type of a 20-50-70 in his prime

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Eller has impressed me bigtime, and I expected it to a certain extent (I was high on time the whole time, since the draft. I was pissed when he didn't take him).

That being said, he lacks finish. He's fantastic as a two way centre and will only get bettern but finish is hard to teach. And many members of the media have said this before, ever since we got him. McGuire said he had potential to be an elite 3rd line C or a good 2nd line C. I tend to agree, but I hope I'm wrong. There's nothing wrong if that's what he ends up developing into though...At the end of the day you need an elite two way centre to win the cup. That's why Bergeron is so valuable despite not really being an offensive superstar.
I think Eller becoming a 3rd line center is the absolute worst case scenario. If he finished more of his plays, he would be producing at a top liner's pace. I believe a 2nd line center is a safe bet.
McGuire, at the time of the trade, said Eller would never be more than a 3rd liner. I remember it because I was completely surprised that his opinion of the kid was so low. It also surprised me how critical of this trade he was, saying we could have had a ton more, something I highly doubt.
Eller is a 22 year old kid, he's showing extremely good potential. He will learn to finish some plays. Most of the time, it isn't out of talent that he misses, it's because he seems anxious. It's like he knows the opening is there, wants to score, and so loses concentration because of the excitement. Once he starts calming down (experience), he won't miss all those goals.

Btw, Patrice Bergeron is the #1 center of the Bruins. Plekanec is our Bergeron, with less FO skills. Eller would give us a 2nd elite two way center .

I believe 2nd line center is a safe bet for Eller.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think Eller becoming a 3rd line center is the absolute worst case scenario. If he finished more of his plays, he would be producing at a top liner's pace. I believe a 2nd line center is a safe bet.
McGuire, at the time of the trade, said Eller would never be more than a 3rd liner. I remember it because I was completely surprised that his opinion of the kid was so low. It also surprised me how critical of this trade he was, saying we could have had a ton more, something I highly doubt.
Eller is a 22 year old kid, he's showing extremely good potential. He will learn to finish some plays. Most of the time, it isn't out of talent that he misses, it's because he seems anxious. It's like he knows the opening is there, wants to score, and so loses concentration because of the excitement. Once he starts calming down (experience), he won't miss all those goals.

Btw, Patrice Bergeron is the #1 center of the Bruins. Plekanec is our Bergeron, with less FO skills. Eller would give us a 2nd elite two way center .

I believe 2nd line center is a safe bet for Eller.
That's typical McGuire though, when things are bad in Montreal..he loves to send the fans/media in even more of a panic, everyone was up in arms over the Halak trade, (although anyone capable of critical thinking, realized it was a good trade for both teams) and he took advantage of that by telling everyone just how bad the Habs got robbed.

I love what i'm seeing from Eller, it's great to see him carry the puck out of our defensive zone and attack opposing players through the neutral zone with speed and his head up. I also agree his lack of finish so far has more to do with confidence or him being too anxious rather than a lack of ability.

The scary part is Eller is far from a finished product...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:18 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Not sure where I said that.
Quote:
I didn't read the lite part, but yeah. That's where

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Protest the Hero

Hockeyinsideout

Eller first one on the ice this morning practicing some scoring techniques down low.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Thing is, he already looks like a good 3rd line center as it is. It can also be hard to remember that he is only 22. Even a guy like Plekanec only really found his offensive touch at around 24/25 years old. I still think Eller's offensive game will develop, what I don't know is if that will turn him into a #1 or #2 center. Either way, he is a keeper for sure.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote