HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs @ Montreal: 6-5 Another game not decided by sausage eating

Old
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
The 5-5 tying goal?

Powerplay pass from behind the net out to the right side to Quincey off the far post and in.
To expand...

Started with Johnson making a fantastic play at the blue line to keep the puck in the zone, then Hejduk worked some magic behind the net and centered it for the one-timer.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:54 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
To expand...

Started with Johnson making a fantastic play at the blue line to keep the puck in the zone, then Hejduk worked some magic behind the net and centered it for the one-timer.
Avsboy already covered it. Also, I believe a highlight link was given.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
Certainly I understand the sense of optimism that we all have for the club, but if we look at it we certainly stole 2 games (other one in Columbus), so we shouldn`t be having an on top of the world type feeling. On the other hand it is nice battling back to tie the game and winning them in shootouts. But there are some things that still need to be addressed, and we need some sort of consistency out of the team overall. Only the 3rd line has pretty much done that.
Well, I am in the board of as-long-as-we-don't-give-top-draft-picks-to Washington. Some of those Caps fans are hardcore trolls... can't stand them.

And frankly, after watching this team lost in the last half of season, stealing a win here and there makes me feel good.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Avsboy

The men on our D definitely were separated from the boys. EJ, Hejda, Quincey, O'Byrne were great. O'Brien and Wilson were bad...O'Brien was on ice and directly responsible for 3 goals, and caused the PK on which Habs scored first.

They should seriously consider bringing up Elliott. Not yet since it's only one game, but we can't get "shattenkirked" again like last season where we missed his offense for the first 20 or so games.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
I tuned in just in time to see Erik Johnson control the game. He truly is a wonderful player. I'm very happy he is on our team.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Certainly I understand the sense of optimism that we all have for the club, but if we look at it we certainly stole 2 games (other one in Columbus), so we shouldn`t be having an on top of the world type feeling. On the other hand it is nice battling back to tie the game and winning them in shootouts. But there are some things that still need to be addressed, and we need some sort of consistency out of the team overall. Only the 3rd line has pretty much done that.
I said it before in my other post...3rd game in 4 nights. It's really nice to get a win when that happens. (or 3 wins actually)

I don't see it as STEALING points, we were opportunistic and made the most of our chances. Some people will look to the late PP we 'got' from the refs. Ok fine, but what about the 3 obvious calls they missed in the first? The lame call on O'Brien to get that goof Plekanex off of Varly??? (He kept doing it too, stupid punk)

I certainly don't have a "on top of the world feeling" as you put it but we've played 5 games now and we haven't been outclassed in any of those contests which is a really good thing and says a lot. A few years ago, we were winning but a lot of those wins came with Anderson doing a lot of the work and winning some games for us. That's not the case this season so far. Varly's kept us in games but hasn't flat out had to steal any yet.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Johnson was definitely a beast tonight.
Agreed.
Man that assist on the 2-2 goal by Jones was awesome.

By the way: Landeskog drew the penalty that led to the 5-5 game tying PP goal.
It's nice he contributes to the game a lot even when he's not scoring, what a great pick he was

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Avsboy

I agree with Kapzk. Avs offense is still too iffy and the D was exposed as vulnerable tonight. We may be gearing up for a let down.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

When we signed O'Brien I knew he is going to have these games from time to time. Overall I'm very happy with the way he has played through five games.

Todays defensive problems were as much on the forwards as the defenders. We struggled to clear the zone all night long. Luckily Montreal played as messy a game as we did.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I agree with Kapzk. Avs offense is still too iffy and the D was exposed as vulnerable tonight. We may be gearing up for a let down.
They're either really good or making my piss my pants in terror. I think...

... minimizing line juggling... better yet eliminating it
... partitioning ice-time semi-evenly to all three lines
... and letting each player play THEIR game

... will allow this defense to succeed. I love the guys we have... I can't think of a player I don't like besides Hunwick on the D.

And yes- I am officially an O'Byrne fan. He has improved a ton.

Old
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
Man the Avs are money in shootouts. 8-1 since start of last season. And I believe the Avs won their last 5 shootouts in 09-10, so 13-1 in last 14 shootouts.

Should just play the trap and take it to shootouts every game

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with stealing a game. Good teams know how to win games, and that's exactly what these kinds of games teach a young team. Despite some inconsistencies the team has still played hard every night, especially when down. That's a huge turnaround (so far) from last year. Tonight's game and the Columbus game were games last year's team would lose, and the Boston game could go either way.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:06 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Wilson was better than O'Byrne tonight. That's why Wilson was on the ice in OT and the end of the game.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Spectacular_Bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And Porter was so invisible today that even Stastny was noticeable.
You people are the worst fans I've ever seen. With the exception of a few, most of you are uneducated alarmists who most likely have never played hockey outside some video games. There must have been 50 posts about Porter and how horrible he was before he even laced up his skates tonight, because you thought he was playing on the second line. I love what Galiardi brings, but I think anyone going nuts over which 4th liner is playing is crazy.

It's almost like you all hate these players and want them to fail. It gives you a purpose, something to do. Its like you are all wearing the opposite of rose colored glasses. Avs players can do no right. The Avs are 4-1 with three of those wins coming on the road. Why are you people *****ing about 4th liners??? It's like the sky is falling. Unreal.

I used to enjoy coming to these boards to reads peoples takes (good and bad) about players I like, especially when I couldn't watch a game, but I've had enough. All you people do is bash YOUR OWN PLAYERS. Porter was the worst player on the ice? Ha. He played 4 minutes. Nothing he did, nothing had any significance on the outcome of this game. A game the Avs won.

I won't be visiting this board anytime soon.

Spectacular_Bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Wilson was incredible tonight. I love how he plays. He's really honed his skills and learned when its okay to do massive hits and when its better to play conservatively.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
They're either really good or making my piss my pants in terror. I think...

... minimizing line juggling... better yet eliminating it
... partitioning ice-time semi-evenly to all three lines
... and letting each player play THEIR game

... will allow this defense to succeed. I love the guys we have... I can't think of a player I don't like besides Hunwick on the D.

And yes- I am officially an O'Byrne fan. He has improved a ton.
Not sure I agree. We need our John Tavares. Where's the superstar on our offense? Balance is a good thing. But I think we need to sign Zach Parise next season.

Old
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

My favourite moment of the game was when Stastny stripped Pernel-Karl to score on a breakaway and then, the Habs took the time-out and then right at the end of the timeout you can see Subban on camera yelling at his teammates that were on the bench. Perfect. Nothing like endearing yourself to your teammates. I've played with guys like that before and they are the absolute worst. He's 100% responsible on that play and instead of feeling embarrassed and shutting the hell up, he start yelling as if to share the blame. He might have good skills and good potential but I am not of fan of this guy. I'd much prefer to have EJ.

Old
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Wilson was better than O'Byrne tonight. That's why Wilson was on the ice in OT and the end of the game.
I thought he was pretty solid the last few games.
Throwing some really big, clean hits and not playing very bad positionally as for example O'Brien did today when Moen scored the game-tying goal.
Still I like what I've seen from SOB so far (except for today's game).

Old
10-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Bid View Post
You people are the worst fans I've ever seen. With the exception of a few, most of you are uneducated alarmists who most likely have never played hockey outside some video games. There must have been 50 posts about Porter and how horrible he was before he even laced up his skates tonight, because you thought he was playing on the second line. I love what Galiardi brings, but I think anyone going nuts over which 4th liner is playing is crazy.

It's almost like you all hate these players and want them to fail. It gives you a purpose, something to do. Its like you are all wearing the opposite of rose colored glasses. Avs players can do no right. The Avs are 4-1 with three of those wins coming on the road. Why are you people *****ing about 4th liners??? It's like the sky is falling. Unreal.

I used to enjoy coming to these boards to reads peoples takes (good and bad) about players I like, especially when I couldn't watch a game, but I've had enough. All you people do is bash YOUR OWN PLAYERS. Porter was the worst player on the ice? Ha. He played 4 minutes. Nothing he did, nothing had any significance on the outcome of this game. A game the Avs won.

First of all, who the **** are you?

Second, boards aren't just for saying "go Avs." They're for giving realist opinions on players in the hope that the gripes get ironed out (for me anyway). I'll admit - I'm definitely an alarmist who bashes a few players I really don't like. But I hope that these players get better or get traded.

Old
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:

All of 'em came on the road.

Seriously I think most people are simply pissed because of Galiardi being scratched in favor of Kevin ****ing Porter and they are right so.

Old
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
The men on our D definitely were separated from the boys. EJ, Hejda, Quincey, O'Byrne were great. O'Brien and Wilson were bad...O'Brien was on ice and directly responsible for 3 goals, and caused the PK on which Habs scored first.

They should seriously consider bringing up Elliott. Not yet since it's only one game, but we can't get "shattenkirked" again like last season where we missed his offense for the first 20 or so games.
I agree with that from the period i saw tonight. O'Brien has been good in the other games so i wouldnt write him off yet he has just been trying to do too much. Wilson on the other hand i have no problems showing the pressbox in favor of Barrie/Elliot but idk if we can call one of them up because we have 23 men on the roster. Some time in Lake Erie will do good for them so if they stay there I'm happy too.

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:

k bye.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infamous Tank View Post
I agree with that from the period i saw tonight. O'Brien has been good in the other games so i wouldnt write him off yet he has just been trying to do too much. Wilson on the other hand i have no problems showing the pressbox in favor of Barrie/Elliot but idk if we can call one of them up because we have 23 men on the roster. Some time in Lake Erie will do good for them so if they stay there I'm happy too.
Apparently I'm wrong Wilson was good. Missed the 3rd period and OT so...

Old
TheStranger

Quote:

Never seen you before, so I can't imagine it'll be a loss. have a good one.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I made someone leave? LOL.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote