HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs victims of an avalanche, lose in SO

Old
10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If, by the end of next week we don't manage to win any game, then perhaps it could be better to tank and next year we will have our vengeance.
How are we going to tank, play Budaj for 60 games? Send Subban, Diaz and Emelin to the Bulldogs? Trade away our good players?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:12 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I always find lame the ''So we're tanking this season'' threads but honestly, the excitement of just thinking of having a guy like Yakupov in a Habs jersey for the next 10+ years goes beyond the 10 dimensions of superstring theory.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:
If we somehow had the first overall pick this year around, who would you want? Grigorenko, Yakupov or someone else?
Since the season is basically over at this point, it looks like we are competing with the Canucks for the first overall pick.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:22 PM
NewHabsEra*

I think the Avs played a great game, they are really surprising, Duchesne is a beast, him and Giroux are 2 of the most exciting kids in the game..

Habs played a good game overall, we have been the most dominant team of the 2 for the most part of the game but paradoxaly our 2 best players have been our worst ones tonight.. Subban doesnt play with the same confidence as last year so far this season while Price had a rare off night.. The rest of the team has been pretty good, especially Emelin and Diaz, I think they were awesome, especially Emelin.. Diaz had some so so moments but you can see a huge improvement in his game, same with Emelin..

Cole played a solid game.. Alot of positives IMO.. And we all know Price will come back strong while Subban wont take long to find his game back..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-16-2011 at 12:17 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:23 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Firing the coach might not be that far off, anyone know any good french coaches that are looking for a job?

Carbo

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:25 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Grigorenko is not a surefire 2nd overall pick. Although some mock drafts have Grigs at #2...

Is it me or I'm the only one here that's higher on Grigorenko than on Yakupov?
Grigorenko is nice but I'm afraid that the fact that he's bigger than the avg competition makes him look that much better. Don't take me wrong, if he does keep growing and getting better he could easily be a Malkin type of guy but IDK. As for Yakupov, he's just awesome. He dominates with his skills and his feistiness. He's not the biggest but you look at him you just know he'll dominate in the NHL. It's the spirit man!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Exactly what I said in the GDT, Gomez had another strong game but people are still going to bash him...

Sometimes I wonder if people even bother watching the game? I don't understand the blind hatred for the guy, yeah sure he doesn't live up to the money he's making, we all know that by now, but at least give him credit when it's due. Unless he puts up several points/scores a goal, people bash him to hell.
The only way Gomez had a strong game is if ones expectations for him are firmly as a marginal 2nd line center...

He had a few solid shifts, but was mostly ineffective and not nearly dangerous enough for a veteran leader.

I suppose we should just accept that he is what he is, but for as much as I want him off this team (due to cap hit, and a coach reluctant to firmly reduce/change his role to suit his current level of play), I would still much rather see him return to at least a decent (read middle of the pack) 2nd liner, and thus am still disappointed when his game highlight(s) involve simply being on the ice when others step up as opposed to actually initiating plays himself.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

Emelin is getting better and better. His vision and quality of pass are just awesome.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Emelin is getting better and better. His vision and quality of pass are just awesome.
He was amazing tonight. Sure he made a booboo on his first shift, but from there he's been rock solid. Great first pass. Plays the body in a way we havn't seen anyone in a long time.

You can see he seems a little shy still... can't wait to see him fully confident. Potential is huge.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:55 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Guys, the organ is BACK!

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:04 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
He was amazing tonight. Sure he made a booboo on his first shift, but from there he's been rock solid. Great first pass. Plays the body in a way we havn't seen anyone in a long time.

You can see he seems a little shy still... can't wait to see him fully confident. Potential is huge.
Indeed, the potential is huge... I also like Diaz's progression.. To be honest, they already play at a high level, they are already playing quality minutes getting alot of experience, it will pay at the end.. Great youth injection at the blueline, Gauthier will look good once again, just a matter of time..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-16-2011 at 12:11 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Guys, the organ is BACK!
That's true; let's not lose sight of the important things. I was really happy to hear that tonight.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Beakermania*

Liked Moen's goal tonight.... but terribly disappointed in his PKing work.

He's usually reliable there, but twice he was out of position and his man scored.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:40 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Just watched the game even if people at work spoiled the score and outcome. The team was great, really hope we don't trade picks for "vet" defenceman. Lord have mercy if we get another Hal Gill, who continues to be our worst Dman outside of the PK. I really liked the idea of Diaz-Emelin on the second wave PP, shame they only got 18 seconds.

Speaking of which the PK needs a shake up. Four PPGs against in two games isn't good. Try Emelin there, he certainly isn't going to get outmuscled as easily as Diaz.

Gomez was awful, even with his free second assist. His compete level was Gonchar-esque tonight.

Emelin had his best game by far other than the turnover that led to the first goal. He really got robbed of his first assist tonight because he had numerous great passes. He'll learn not to pass to Gomez even when he's on a breakaway though. Glad he was playing more physical tonight also. I'm glad statkeepers are actually watching him now though, before he was credited with one hit a game(lol) when he's massively out-hit Erik Cole and Moen who have been credited with 14 and 10 respectively.

I really think Desharnais should move to wing. 38% faceoff percentage is not going to cut it for a puck possession team.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, the potential is huge... I also like Diaz's progression.. To be honest, they already play at a high level, they are already playing quality minutes getting alot of experience, it will pay at the end.. Great youth injection at the blueline, Gauthier will look good once again, just a matter of time..
Been a long time!

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Beakermania*

Young D are playing well right now... still 4 of the back there with combined experience of 1.5 seasons scares me.

It'll be nice to have Markov back so we can rotate them a little more and always have a rookie paired up with a vet he can learn from.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:06 AM
holyhabs87

PP got a whole lot more threatening with Pleks on the wing and Weber-Subban on the point. Yes, I know Pleks scored from the point but that was a 5 on 3. Our other PP goal was on a 4 on 3. We need a solution for 5 on 4's and I think we found it.

Cole has been pretty bad this season but I think he stepped his game up in the 3rd which I like to see....players playing BIG when the game is on the line.

I think many people expected a good game out of the Pac-DD-AK line and we got it. They were fantastic.

Pleks was great and I think once Eller gets in game shape he will have a big year. Once Cammy comes back, I think Eller should move down to the 2nd line. IMO, he should take Gomez's place but we all know that won't happen.

Our defense really needs to shape up. And this is about our forward and our dmen. I think we have good dmen but they have to play smarter. Gill is usually a slow starter. Subban started slow last year and obviously we have concerns about a sophmore slump. Regardless, he is still young so he is bound to make mistakes. Emelin and Diaz are both still adjusting to the NHL. I think in time our defense will play much better. Meanwhile, our forwards have to help them out, something I notice they are not doing that well this year.

Price was terrible tonight. We know he will be better. So there is only room for improvement.

Let's just look at the positive and we got 1 point against a team that has been really hot to start this year. It is only game 4 and once we get Cammy and Markov back we will be much better.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:09 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
PP got a whole lot more threatening with Pleks on the wing and Weber-Subban on the point. Yes, I know Pleks scored from the point but that was a 5 on 3. Our other PP goal was on a 4 on 3. We need a solution for 5 on 4's and I think we found it.

Cole has been pretty bad this season but I think he stepped his game up in the 3rd which I like to see....players playing BIG when the game is on the line.

I think many people expected a good game out of the Pac-DD-AK line and we got it. They were fantastic.

Pleks was great and I think once Eller gets in game shape he will have a big year. Once Cammy comes back, I think Eller should move down to the 2nd line. IMO, he should take Gomez's place but we all know that won't happen.

Our defense really needs to shape up. And this is about our forward and our dmen. I think we have good dmen but they have to play smarter. Gill is usually a slow starter. Subban started slow last year and obviously we have concerns about a sophmore slump. Regardless, he is still young so he is bound to make mistakes. Emelin and Diaz are both still adjusting to the NHL. I think in time our defense will play much better. Meanwhile, our forwards have to help them out, something I notice they are not doing that well this year.

Price was terrible tonight. We know he will be better. So there is only room for improvement.

Let's just look at the positive and we got 1 point against a team that has been really hot to start this year. It is only game 4 and once we get Cammy and Markov back we will be much better.
Good post.

Although..while Price wasn't good..the defensive positioning by Moen was the direct cause of multiple goals..and can we really blame him on a breakaway?

We need big saves and all..but that won't come each game..and frankly, we beat ourselves. (And the ref didn't help either with the phantom trip at the end)

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:44 AM
bib
#believe

Maybe it's just me putting a microscope over Gionta, but he's really slowed down and has a greater tendency to avoid higher traffic areas. He used to have a step on players, but tonight I noticed how the Avalanche players were able to keep up with him. He really had to battle them off to get his shot away.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents for the night.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:27 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Agreed, and it may take a while before they "get there" and while progressing there may be painful games but I dont remember the last time we had such speed on the back end as well as good offensive skills. Minus Gorge/Gill pretty much every one else on the blue line has the potential to get 25+ pts per season.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I was at work for this game, so I am going to assume Price was not very Price-like?

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I was at work for this game, so I am going to assume Price was not very Price-like?
He was like the Price from two years ago. Or like Andre Racicot. He'll be fine though.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:52 AM
The Right Price

I really liked that we showed up for the third and rose from a deficit into a lead. Unfortunately, we lost that lead soon afterwards!

I know we shouldn't read too much into anything yet but Price has a Sv% of .880 after 245 minutes of hockey. Not good at all! He hasn't been making key saves like last season. Lets hope he soon finds his real groove.

This too is quite depressing.
Gomez - 4 gp 0 g 1 a
Cole - 4 gp 0 g 1 a

In fact, I can't think of anything notable Cole has done this far. And I won't buy the crap of "getting to know the system" for far too long since NHL rookies Diaz and Emelin are playing well considering their experience!

When Cammy comes back we need to go with.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn

And really hope the Plekanec line start potting some goals. Pleky and Pacio have been our best forwards by far to this point. And Eller-Kostitsyn can provide secondary scoring with CGG line eating up some minutes.

Bad night for us too because all our division rivals, not counting Ottawa of course, got points! This team has to step it up or we will really struggle to make the PO's since a .50 record will not be nearly enough!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:28 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Good for stretches but terrible for most of the game. Subban looked really soft on the puck(especially on that stastny breakaway) and the D looked lost for a lot of this game, price has seemed to have trouble all season so far. Hopefully they can play with some confidence on the backend. Ultimately, refs gave it to the avs with that phantom trip and a slew of non-calls for the avs in the OT. The fact this team can put up such a terrible effort and still manage a point says a lot about the state of the avs. Let's hope they manage to actually show up for the sabres(and I think they will).

MoobMoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Max Levine

There was a lot of positive in last night's game.

Two quick goals to take the lead. Boost confidence knowing that you're able to turn a one-goal deficit into a lead in a few seconds in the 3rd period.

Desharnais-Pacioretty connection. Not sure if AK can complete those two but it was nice to see the set-ups.

Cole-Gomez-Gionta. For a very brief moment but I thought Cole had one of his best shifts. Wonder if he could move to the left.

Getting a point against a young, hot and hungry team without Markov and Cammalleri, with 4 youngsters on defense, with Subban and Price having their worst game of the season. What's it going to be with those four in the line up, performing at a high level?

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote