HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs victims of an avalanche, lose in SO

Old
10-15-2011, 09:48 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
There were some positives...
- Our top 3 lines all played well. I hope JM sticks with them for a while
- Yemelin (Emelin?) is looking more poised every game and for those who laughed off the idea, he could really be one of our key defensmen this year

The negatives...
- PK needs to become more of a team player than a one man show... it is something than can be corrected, he has all of the other tools
- Price had an off night and that shouldn't happen too often
- The penalty kill was sub-standard and the team needs to find a solution there over the next little while
- Gill looks overmatched in many situations and can't pass the puck. Unfortunately that burden is going to be with us for the rest of the year.

It's too early to panic. There are signs that things could come together and I imagine that PG is keeping a close eye on players that could help the team, especially in the penalty kill area.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Kostitsyn still getting no love, dude has looked very good this year
im an ak46 lover, and thought he's played well too, but i think he should be with pleks on the first line

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
with price ******** the bed tonight when will budaj get his shot?
LOL; i don't even know what to say...

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
No way JM will play Plecs on the point.

I dunno if I'm glad or pissed that Plec's goal means he may now play more on the point on PP, but actually this time he shifted and closed into high slot position to shoot, if that's the threat then it could work out because I think we had been overly perimeter on the PP.
I think it showed that their power play is more versatile this way. With two right-handed shots back there you can rotate one guy down low like Weber did on the play, constantly moving and changing the setup is the key to scoring on the PP.

Also, I wanted to keep Gill over Hammer this season just because he's basically a one-man penalty kill, he's making me regret that choice so far.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What is the problem exactly? Carey Price can't have a couple of bad games???? What exactly do you think he is? A super machine?? Jesus Christ man, freaking relax a bit.
Some fans aren't even worth the reply. It's really easy sitting behind your computer and thinking you can play better than the actual players. This guy has no idea what it takes to play in the NHL, the sacrifices you have to make, what it feels like to have the weight of an entire city on your shoulders... its just pathetic.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
I think Cole should play with Gomez and Gionta. Put the three older vets together, let them work at it.
You want Cole to be sucked in the offensive black hole that is called Gomez?
I'm also suggesting this because I want Eller to play as our 2nd line center and we all know if Cole plays with Gomez, they certainly won't be anything less than our 2nd line.

5on5 Eller > 5on5 Gomez

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Vinc360

Something missing at the bell centre tonight

I just got back from the game vs the Avs... many things were disappointing other than the loss.

First of all, I couldn't really feel the energy I usually feel in the building... but it's not really the fans that are to blame.

- The presentation of the players this year is very lackluster (on the screen, they literally look like corpses)

- The goal song is quiet and doesn't have the energy of "Vertigo", I was there and I have no idea of what it was.

- The usual "MAKE SOME NOISE" screen is the only thing that's still appearing on the scoreboard. The Olé olé chant has to be started by fans and doesn't appear on the scoreboard...

Overall the fans were a lot quieter than normal and the only time I actually thought was great was when desharnais scored the second goal in 20 seconds... the administration really seems to have dropped the ball this year. With the price increase it's kind of a bad time... there were empty seats too! It wasn't sold out at all. They were still selling tickets 20 minutes before the game started.

Anyone else feel this way or am I completely crazy?

Edit: I'm aware that it could just be the crowd for this particular game.. but it felt very strange.

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
We all need to calm down. The series is still 3-1. We're not eliminated yet. We can take it.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
pine

vCash: 50
no Ultras.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Beakermania*

For all the hate on Price, and on the defence.....

3 of the goals (both PP goals on Moen, the 4 on 4 goal on Patches) were the direct result of a forward not covering his man in the defensive zone.

Habs are playing four very young, inexperienced D back there, the forwards need to help out a little more

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Vinc360

I just got back from the BC... Price was very frustrating to watch tonight, I'm definitely not blaming the loss on him but it was frustrating to see him being so... average. I didn't feel the least bit safe watching him all night.

What a save on the first shot though.

Cole and Martin need to find their "connection" really fast and we need a better D. Subban isn't delivering (so far) and without Hamerlik or Markov we look like crap on the D side.

Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I hate Gomez more than anyone, but I thought he did well tonight.

The great was until that penalty. Call it a trip, but call the dive, too.

Emelin had one horrendous play, then after that I thought he got himself into the game.

Erik Cole was solid.

Haters gonna hate Travis Moen.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
It looks as if Martin is trying to force a chemistry between Cole and Plekanec. As of now, it doesn't seem to go too well. It's only 4 games in so there's obviously still time for them to gel but... if not I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of ;

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta (proven line from last season)
Cole-Eller-AK (Big strong forwards who can forecheck hard)
DD-Gomez-Darche/Moen
why split up our best line from tonight??

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:10 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Well it was the game for cancer with tons of kids. So yeh, the atmosphere won't be the same as a game in March against Boston.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Vinc360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
When you ice a soft, weak, faceless team like we are right now...the rink will be lifeless.

We scored five goals, it was a very exciting, crazy game that went to the shootout.

Old
10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Any thoughts on Eller? I thought he was our best forward last game.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc360 View Post
I just got back from the game vs the Avs... many things were disappointing other than the loss.

First of all, I couldn't really feel the energy I usually feel in the building... but it's not really the fans that are to blame.

- The presentation of the players this year is very lackluster (on the screen, they literally look like corpses)

- The goal song is quiet and doesn't have the energy of "Vertigo", I was there and I have no idea of what it was.

- The usual "MAKE SOME NOISE" screen is the only thing that's still appearing on the scoreboard. The Olé olé chant has to be started by fans and doesn't appear on the scoreboard...

Overall the fans were a lot quieter than normal and the only time I actually thought was great was when desharnais scored the second goal in 20 seconds... the administration really seems to have dropped the ball this year. With the price increase it's kind of a bad time... there were empty seats too! It wasn't sold out at all. They were still selling tickets 20 minutes before the game started.

Anyone else feel this way or am I completely crazy?

Edit: I'm aware that it could just be the crowd for this particular game.. but it felt very strange.
Watching it on TV tonight, the crowd was very quiet.........

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Andy

Saw the game live. I really don't get the Gomez hate. He was great tonight and generated many chances. I really don't get it. I guess people see what they want to see.

Pacioretty and Kostitsyn were the best players tonight. Cole looked better.

I don't know how it looked on TV, but live, it looked they played really well. Price let in 4 stinkers that had no business going in.

Yemelin played great.

Subban was crap.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I think Cole should play with Gomez and Gionta. Put the three older vets together, let them work at it.
I agree with you 100%. (Not too often we are on the same page. )

Pleks and AK belong together. They have forever had chemistry. I can only hope that they get the chance to be reunited.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc360 View Post
I just got back from the BC... Price was very frustrating to watch tonight, I'm definitely not blaming the loss on him but it was frustrating to see him being so... average. I didn't feel the least bit safe watching him all night.

What a save on the first shot though.

Cole and Martin need to find their "connection" really fast and we need a better D. Subban isn't delivering (so far) and without Hamerlik or Markov we look like crap on the D side.
Pretty hard to blame anybody but Price on 3 of those goals...floater from 40 feet out 5 hole, two other went through him at like 3 miles an hour...

With AVERAGE goaltending we win by 2 goals, maybe 3.

I'm pissed that Budaj didn't start, that was a game for him...worst case he should have been in at 4-3.

Subban also had a rough night...but the last 2 games Price has given up 10 on about 55 shots...not NHL calibre goaltending let alone Price's usual calibre.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Any thoughts on Eller? I thought he was our best forward last game.
I love Eller, but I didn't notice him as much as usual, that said I remember him having 2 great chances to score. Really hope he can find a scoring touch

Bobby G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:16 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

I watched the game from home and I found that the crowd sounded very quiet. I thought that maybe it was just the audio that was off or something but I guess not... Sad.

I hope we don't become ACC 2.0.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I love Eller, but I didn't notice him as much as usual, that said I remember him having 2 great chances to score. Really hope he can find a scoring touch
Ah, that's too bad. I noticed he only got around 13 mins TOI and none of it was PP time, which is disappointing. I missed the entire game as I was at that gordon ramsay restaurant for my birthday. PM me if you want details guys, but holy **** do not go eat there.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
pine

vCash: 50
I think there's a glitch in the server. Can't post on the forum... so many posts gone to waste.

EDIT: Looks like this one worked, cool.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Ah, that's too bad. I noticed he only got around 13 mins TOI and none of it was PP time, which is disappointing. I missed the entire game as I was at that gordon ramsay restaurant for my birthday. PM me if you want details guys, but holy **** do not go eat there.
Happy birthday!

I think Eller deserves more minutes, but that's just one of many things I disagree with Martin on.

The PP looked great without him though. Went 1 for 3. Managed a goal on a 5 on 3 and then in the third the first unit spent the first 1:30 of the PP in the zone and they were buzzing, as good as you can look on the PP without scoring

Bobby G is online now   Reply With Quote