HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MSG HD on FiOS?

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
MSG HD on FiOS?

Mods, if there's a better place to put this, please feel free to merge - it seems to me it's something of interest to many posters and I couldn't find a recent thread that discusses the subject.

I've had Cablevision for the last 8 years or so. The service has been pretty much crap, but when I moved into my current neighborhood it was the only choice and I haven't wanted to have to deal with changing. Now, I'm moving and I have to pick a new provider for cable and internet. In my new neighborhood (Williamsburg), my choices will be TWC and FiOS.

Based on casual research on the internet, FiOS sounds like the best option for a variety of reasons - better TV signal, better features, faster internet and a better price. But of course, as a die-hard Rangers (and Knicks) fan, none of that matters if I can't get the MSG channels, preferably in HD. Unfortunately, the same casual research seems to indicate that it's still not possible to get these channels in HD on FiOS.

Based on what I can gather online, it appears that Verizon filed a complaint with the FCC seeking access to this programming from Cablevision, the FCC ruled in Verizon's favor, but Cablevision took the decision to the court of appeals and... that's it. The last update I can find is that oral arguments in the case were heard in February of this year.

Can anyone provide more info - or, better yet, an update? As of this morning, there's no MSG HD listed on the FiOS channel listings and I can't find anything after February regarding the ongoing suit. Much appreciated!

Old
05-08-2011, 11:56 AM
3Four3

Every ****ing NYC cable subscriber should file a lawsuit against these cable companies for having little monopolies: Live here, then this is the only cable company you can get.

I think if more and more people leave certain cable companies, the pressure will have to make them buckle. Even the BS of only having certain channels associated with only certain type of cable providers is stupid: You would think with more customers, the higher the possibility for higher ratings, which in turn means more moolah.

I still have TWC but the prices are RIDICULOUS.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Mods, if there's a better place to put this, please feel free to merge - it seems to me it's something of interest to many posters and I couldn't find a recent thread that discusses the subject.

I've had Cablevision for the last 8 years or so. The service has been pretty much crap, but when I moved into my current neighborhood it was the only choice and I haven't wanted to have to deal with changing. Now, I'm moving and I have to pick a new provider for cable and internet. In my new neighborhood (Williamsburg), my choices will be TWC and FiOS.

Based on casual research on the internet, FiOS sounds like the best option for a variety of reasons - better TV signal, better features, faster internet and a better price. But of course, as a die-hard Rangers (and Knicks) fan, none of that matters if I can't get the MSG channels, preferably in HD. Unfortunately, the same casual research seems to indicate that it's still not possible to get these channels in HD on FiOS.

Based on what I can gather online, it appears that Verizon filed a complaint with the FCC seeking access to this programming from Cablevision, the FCC ruled in Verizon's favor, but Cablevision took the decision to the court of appeals and... that's it. The last update I can find is that oral arguments in the case were heard in February of this year.

Can anyone provide more info - or, better yet, an update? As of this morning, there's no MSG HD listed on the FiOS channel listings and I can't find anything after February regarding the on-going suit. Much appreciated!
FiOS gets MSG in SD, but it's not yet available in HD. Here's a possible solution, while it remains SD only: The FiOS box allows you to stretch the picture to fit your HD screen -- it's stretched, but if you don't work in TV, you probably won't be able to tell a major difference.

The research you've done is pretty much what's going on. It seems like at some point MSG will be forced to give FiOS their HD signal, but this lawsuit has been going on for years. Will it end before the upcoming season? Possible but not probable.

Personally, even without MSG in HD, I find FiOS worth it. I think their service is way better than Cablevision's. Never had TW so I can't tell you anything about them, but I've been very happy with FiOS.

Last edited by RothmanHockey: 05-08-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
broadwayblue

There's an ongoing thread about it here somewhere.

Bottom line is for me I'm stuck with TWC until Verizon prevails and the courts force Dolan to let them FIOS broadcast it.

And the courts have already found in Verizon's favor but unfortunately these things take forever to resolve. The "terrestrial loophole" has been closed and ultimately MSG HD will have to be made available to other service providers in the area. When that will be remains to be seen.

Last edited by broadwayblue: 05-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
allstar3970

Really? I don't think you need to work in TV to know that stretched SD looks horrific compared to an HD feed

Old
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
NYRKING30

i have fios and the only complaint i only have with them is. no rangers hd. we all have to either wait for a game on versus or end of the year nbc games. so stupid this whole thing. only thing time warner has on fios is rangers hd and they wont charge you a 100 dollars for a new remote if your old 1 is broken or lost. as rothman said you can press the aspect button and that can widen the view and it rele does help. if your watching the games on a 30 plus inch tv then you can get by without the hd. i remember reading somewhere online about the actual real reason fios doesn't get msg hd i will try to find it (might have been msg.com). we as fios users can only wait and pray we get msg hd sooner then later.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
i have fios and the only complaint i only have with them is. no rangers hd. we all have to either wait for a game on versus or end of the year nbc games. so stupid this whole thing. only thing time warner has on fios is rangers hd and they wont charge you a 100 dollars for a new remote if your old 1 is broken or lost. as rothman said you can press the aspect button and that can widen the view and it rele does help. if your watching the games on a 30 plus inch tv then you can get by without the hd. i remember reading somewhere online about the actual real reason fios doesn't get msg hd i will try to find it (might have been msg.com). we as fios users can only wait and pray we get msg hd sooner then later.
I hate TWC as much as the next guy...but they don't charge you a penny to swap out a broken remote. I've done it several times...they actually keep them right at the front door so you don't even need to take a number and wait.

As far as the reason, it had to do with the "terrestrial loophole." It was basically a screw up in the writing of the law requiring local channels to be shared with other service providers. So because of sloppy wording Verizon got screwed.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/F...oophole-106512

Old
05-08-2011, 02:05 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I hate TWC as much as the next guy...but they don't charge you a penny to swap out a broken remote. I've done it several times...they actually keep them right at the front door so you don't even need to take a number and wait.
For some reason, you still get billed for the remote on the bill. The prices have increased over the years. The say it's because of taxes. Well, it's because of those taxes that I'm really considering dropping them.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
For some reason, you still get billed for the remote on the bill. The prices have increased over the years. The say it's because of taxes. Well, it's because of those taxes that I'm really considering dropping them.
Sure, part of the bill includes a rental of the remote. But I was referring to if it breaks and you swap it out at the store. No fee for that.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Actually, I think that's what the poster before you was saying.

Quote:
As far as the reason, it had to do with the "terrestrial loophole." It was basically a screw up in the writing of the law requiring local channels to be shared with other service providers. So because of sloppy wording Verizon got screwed.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/F...oophole-106512
Understood - I've been able to find plenty of info on the underlying argument. The problem is that it's all primarily from '09 and '10 - apparently there are no updates since February of this year. If anyone has any current info, I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, I guess what I'm hearing is that for now I need to go with TWC, at least to start.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Sure, part of the bill includes a rental of the remote. But I was referring to if it breaks and you swap it out at the store. No fee for that.
It's stupid.

Although, I do agree that changing the remotes and cable boxes is awesome since you can do it for free.

I also have Dish Network and wanted to upgrade to HD. The lady thought I was stupid in believing that I can exchange the current box I have for an HD one free of charge. Told me I had to pony up $200.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Understood - I've been able to find plenty of info on the underlying argument. The problem is that it's all primarily from '09 and '10 - apparently there are no updates since February of this year. If anyone has any current info, I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, I guess what I'm hearing is that for now I need to go with TWC, at least to start.
Yeah, officially the loophole was closed...but we've heard basically nothing since that. I can only assume that the case is being appealed to delay the inevitable. In the meantime I love how Cablevision mocks Verizon in their commercials by stating you can't get all the 8 local sports teams in HD on FIOS.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

There was an ongoing thread for discussion about various cable providers but knowing HFBoard's search function, you won't have any chance at finding it, lol.

There was some court hearing in February concerning this issue but the results were unclear and it didn't seem to pave the way for any new update concerning FiOS and MSG HD.

I posted some pictures of my MSG picture quality with FiOS in that thread referenced above. It's bad at all and definitely tolerable.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
There was an ongoing thread for discussion about various cable providers but knowing HFBoard's search function, you won't have any chance at finding it, lol.

There was some court hearing in February concerning this issue but the results were unclear and it didn't seem to pave the way for any new update concerning FiOS and MSG HD.
This one?:

FCC Sides against Cable Companies Restricting Local HD Feed

And why does the search feature suck so bad?

Old
05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Unfortunately that's not the thread. The thread in question had all of the local cable providers listed in the title and it was dedicated to all discussion about cable providers.

Quote:
And why does the search feature suck so bad?
It doesn't work correctly and you can't search by thread titles.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For the record, I did search for previous threads and didn't find anything active from 2011 so I thought it was worthy of a new one.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
For the record, I did search for previous threads and didn't find anything active from 2011 so I thought it was worthy of a new one.
Yeah, the search feature really doesn't work right so you probably can't bring it up... I think the last posts made in it were from early March....

Edit: here it is, found it by searching with Google:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=821245&page=14

Old
05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Yeah, the search feature really doesn't work right so you probably can't bring it up... I think the last posts made in it were from early March....

Edit: here it is, found it by searching with Google:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=821245&page=14
Gotcha. If one of the mods wants to merge, by all means...

Old
05-08-2011, 02:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Gotcha. If one of the mods wants to merge, by all means...
if you have a high definition TV at home, the FiOS boxes upscale the image resolution and subsequently the picture quality, while not true HD, is pretty good and definitely tolerable. If you are not happy with your current provider I would say make the switch.

Old
05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
if you have a high definition TV at home, the FiOS boxes upscale the image resolution and subsequently the picture quality, while not true HD, is pretty good and definitely tolerable. If you are not happy with your current provider I would say make the switch.
Great... I thought I had my answer and then you go and complicate the decision again for me. Thanks.

Old
05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I think that's what the poster before you was saying.

yeah bk was right,bwayblue may have read it too fast, and he is also right about twc that's how every cable service provider should be. we give them more then enough money. great job finding the article that was the one i read online. btw for everybody on the board who has FIOS, if you ever lose or break a remote or whatever else, the best thing to do and a good way to get around paying a heart and liver transplant for a remote is to go up to the fios trucks if you ever see them in your neighborhood or any other place, ask the workers if you can have an extra remote. my mother already has done it 3x each time the guy was nice enough to give a remote for each cable box in the house (only needed 1 really each time). Those guys dont care they are laying all over the truck and there is plenty extra. this deff works even the ppl that work for fios will tell you verizon has some pair on them charging a 100 a remote lol

Old
05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

The one drawback of Fios over TWC is that you cant split the Fios feed inside your house. Without a box to decode the signal you get nothing.

With TWC is used to split the signal in my basement and get basic chanels in my bedrooms. But with Fios I have to rent a second box + remote and the kids are s.o.l. in their rooms.

And you have to call up to activate the signal to the secondary boxes as well, so if you wanted to buy your own box instead of renting one from Fios, they will know and I'm not sure if they will agree to activate a box they are not renting to you.

Old
05-08-2011, 03:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
The one drawback of Fios over TWC is that you cant split the Fios feed inside your house. Without a box to decode the signal you get nothing.
Regular coax splitters work fine with FiOS. I have a splitter on the 2nd floor of our house feeding 2 cable boxes and our FiOS modem/router. The box they run to your basement is just converts the data being sent via the fiber optic lines to coaxial output and vice versa.

Old
05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
hockeyf4n

Quote:
Regular coax splitters work fine with FiOS. I have a splitter on the 2nd floor of our house feeding 2 cable boxes and our FiOS modem/router. The box they run to your basement is just converts the data being sent via the fiber optic lines to coaxial output and vice versa.
I think he's referring to clear QAM channels. If you feed a bare coax to your tv under Cablevision, you can receive those channels without the use of a box.

Anyways, I've been a FIOS customer for a few months now and I must say I'm very satisfied. Although the price is very comparable to Cablevision, the quality of the product is significantly better overall. The suite of android apps they provide is also a nice bonus.

However, I do miss MSG-HD. That's really the only reason that would make me look back, so I'm looking forward for this whole fiasco to be resolved.

Old
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Great... I thought I had my answer and then you go and complicate the decision again for me. Thanks.

How big is your TV? If I didn't have a 112" screen I would certainly consider switching to FIOS...but there's no way an upconverted SD image would be acceptable for me.

Closed Thread