HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NY Mets/Yankees Discussion Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
This is what happens when you leave voting in the hands of a bunch of idiots. I say take the voting away from the fans. Do they get some right? Sure. But guys getting millions of votes like Manny Ramirez a few years ago while he was suspended for 50 games is just stupid. If the game really has meaning now (still don't buy it but whatever) then the fans should have zero say anyway.
Personally I don't care if Wright starts or not, he made the team and that's all that matters. But having home field rest on who wins the all star game is just silly.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Personally I don't care if Wright starts or not, he made the team and that's all that matters. But having home field rest on who wins the all star game is just silly.
As a Yankee fan I could care less about Wright starting. But in general, it's just dumb to have the fans vote especially since now there is something riding on the game. I agree that having home field depend on the game is stupid. I don't get it. Everyone says "then how will you determine home field?" DUH! Same way every other sport does! Best record!

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
It really won't become an issue until a guy who's been out all year or just realllly doesn't deserve it, like an Andres Torres, to make it that'll force Selig's hand to change the system. I really don't care if Wright starts or not it was just kind of a shocker.

If the game really counts and All-Star appearances count towards a players legacy then they really should come up with a legit process for deciding teams.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
islesfan3991

Great comeback by the Mets tonight!

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Mets own Papelbon

What an AB by Valdespin & Tejada. Tejada is quickly becoming one of my favorite Mets.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
19 in a row

great win, last year they couldn't buy a two out hit, this year it is the norm.... sweet win, sweeter that it was the phillies...

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
19NYSports91

Cueto and Phillips should be on the All Star team, what a joke.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Bunk Moreland

Awesome win tonight I almost swerved off the road when they tied it hahaha.. Ahh man Papelbon is such trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Cueto and Phillips should be on the All Star team, what a joke.
Kind of a petty thing for TLR to do pretty pathetic.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

LaRussa is considering not starting Dickey because he's not sure if Posey can catch him.

WTF? The man in 37 years old, he's likely never going to have another chance to start an all star game. Give him the damn ball. Thole & Nickeas handle him fine and they're lousy defensive catchers. If Posey can't handle it, then boo freaking hoo.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
LaRussa is considering not starting Dickey because he's not sure if Posey can catch him.

WTF? The man in 37 years old, he's likely never going to have another chance to start an all star game. Give him the damn ball. Thole & Nickeas handle him fine and they're lousy defensive catchers. If Posey can't handle it, then boo freaking hoo.
With all the drama surrounding this game LaRussa is making himself bigger than the game. I've never been a fan nor a hater of him but if Dickey doesn't start it would be a damn shame and you know Dickey is the consummate professional and it wouldn't even bother him. Is it bad that besides HELL YEAH the first thing that went thru my head after Murph's game tying hit was HELL YEAH NO LOSS FOR DICKEY!

This game is a damn exhibition game and making this "count" is a real stupid move by Bud Selig. RA Dickey has been the best pitcher in the NL hands down and that should equate to him starting the All-star game end of story.

I work nights so most games I catch on WFAN and Howie was saying how there is actually a movie being pitched about the RA Dickey story which is awesome with everything he's been thru to get to this point it's really a great tale. I know I'm getting way way wayyy ahead of myself but I'm really rooting for him to continue it in the second half and make a run at the Cy Young.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:52 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
With all the drama surrounding this game LaRussa is making himself bigger than the game. I've never been a fan nor a hater of him but if Dickey doesn't start it would be a damn shame and you know Dickey is the consummate professional and it wouldn't even bother him. Is it bad that besides HELL YEAH the first thing that went thru my head after Murph's game tying hit was HELL YEAH NO LOSS FOR DICKEY!

This game is a damn exhibition game and making this "count" is a real stupid move by Bud Selig. RA Dickey has been the best pitcher in the NL hands down and that should equate to him starting the All-star game end of story.

I work nights so most games I catch on WFAN and Howie was saying how there is actually a movie being pitched about the RA Dickey story which is awesome with everything he's been thru to get to this point it's really a great tale. I know I'm getting way way wayyy ahead of myself but I'm really rooting for him to continue it in the second half and make a run at the Cy Young.
I'm a Yankees fan so obviously I don't watch the mets. If the Mets are in it at the end of the year and need a win to get into the playoffs, who would you pitch RA or Santana? I don't have a problem with any answer you choose, just curious.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
I'm a Yankees fan so obviously I don't watch the mets. If the Mets are in it at the end of the year and need a win to get into the playoffs, who would you pitch RA or Santana? I don't have a problem with any answer you choose, just curious.
That's a very good question... I'm love everything Dickey has done with the mets and I'm not just talking this year he is the man but I'm going to go with Johan. One of my last images of Shea (yeah I'm aware it was like 4 years ago) was Johan pitching a complete game shutout on 3 days rest on the second to last game of the season with a torn meniscus in his knee. The dude is just such a competitor and lives for big games like that.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:00 PM
islesfan3991

Quote:
I love Dickey but I gotta go with Santana. He's comes up big in important games. I remember when he pitched a game on a couple days rest a few years ago at the end of the season and had a great performance. He's the guy I would pick.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Wow, tough loss. But this shows that the Mets have spirit and they have the feel of a playoff team. But there are a few pieces and things that need to be brought in/happen if they want to go far.

1. Acquire a catcher
- A right handed one would be nice, especially with Nickeas being dreadful as of late.
A. Options:
Nick Hundley, Padres- smart baseball player, better hitter than Nickeas. I think he is the most realistic.
Geovaney Soto, Cubs- Probably the cheapest option considering his down year. However, a change of scenery could help him.
Kurt Suzuki, Athletics- Now Kurt is probably one of the more interesting cases. Still years left on his contract, pretty young (28), but has regressed and the A's want to get him out (Rays are interested). He is a line drive hitter, and Citi Field would be a great place for him.
B: how to utilize them:
They will probably be slotted in the 7th and 8th slots against left and will rarely play when there is a right handed pitcher, Thole isn't injured and if Dickey is pitching.

2. Acquire a pretty good right handed hitter
- No Jason Bay, too many lefties, Torres isn't cutting it.
A: Options
Carlos Quinten- guy has got some power and could mash it up. Though some people think they will need a decent prospect in return, I don't see that being the case IMO. He is extra bases, fly out, or strikeout. That's it.
Alfonso Soriano- you might be asking,"WTF are you thinking by taking on that contract, GWC?!" Well here's what I was thinking: The mets would pay for the rest of Soriano's contract this year. The next year, the Cubs would pay for it. Soriano has been having a good year so he is a good option to have.
B: how to utilize them
- play them in left field every day or put them against lefties.

3. backup first baseman
-Turner is not a legitimate backup 1B
A. Options
Short and to the point here are my candidates- Jason Giambi, Russel Branyan (tearing it up for the Yankees AAA), Adam Lind (most interesting option, clearly mets didn't want him when he was on waivers, though. However, things change).

4. Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen....
- Nuff said
A. options
Johnny Broxton- not going to happen because now the Royals want a major league player in return.
Huston Street- not going to happen because of the Bob Geren dispute.
Brandon Leauge- could be had for cheap
Rafael Betancourt- hard worker, experience player.
Anybody else please!!!!

So that's all I have to say. If the Phillies sell, it will make the division a bit easier. If the bench does well, just like these last two games, the Mets will be in good shape.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

I'd seriously consider taking K-Rod back.. He would be cheap and has experience pitching here and with the Brewers being out of he's going to be available.

Tough loss tonight but you gotta love the fight in this team.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Hipster Doofus

The Mets seem to have options at AAA for a RH bat. Most of their top OBP and OPS guys are RH bats. I think the Mets wanna see their LH bats progress against RH bats to develop them into starting players, but at some point they will have to pull from AAA. They've gotten great production from guys called up from down there all year.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

That was a heart breaker. I thought for sure they were going to at least tie that game up.

hopefully Santana is ok.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:04 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The Mets seem to have options at AAA for a RH bat. Most of their top OBP and OPS guys are RH bats. I think the Mets wanna see their LH bats progress against RH bats to develop them into starting players, but at some point they will have to pull from AAA. They've gotten great production from guys called up from down there all year.
No they don't. I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. Zach Lutz was up. Been there done that. Josh Rodriguez has no MLB experience whatsoever. Rottino got claimed by the Indians. Satin is not coming up unless Wright is injured.

So the Mets need a right handed bat.

So I thought of some trades:

To Mets
Carlos Quinten
Nick Hundley

To Padres
Josh Edgin
Daniel Herrera

OR

To Mets (Soriano will not be in this one because of the contract but I have a replacement)
Jeff Baker (decent right hand bat)
Geovanny Soto
Shawn Camp/James Russell (relievers who are having good years)

To Cubs
Josh Edgin
Daniel Herrera
Mike Nickeas (to replace Soto)

In the MLB, it is hard to determine value for players. Remember the K-Rod trade. Herrera had been DFA'd a couple of times before being sent to the Mets for K-Rod. You never know what prospects/players teams are looking at.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

That play by Tejada at the end of the game was Rey Ordonez circa 1998. Amazing. saved the game right there.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
No they don't. I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. Zach Lutz was up. Been there done that. Josh Rodriguez has no MLB experience whatsoever. Rottino got claimed by the Indians. Satin is not coming up unless Wright is injured.
The Mets don't give a **** about any of the reasons you listed cause they don't matter that much. Never had an MLB at-bat? Once upon a time neither did literally every single human being to ever play MLB. Been there done that? Never has a player ever improved? Pigeon holing a player to a position? This is a team that has shown no issue with moving young guys around to get at bats (and frankly, this to me is what makes Collins a great manager. His management of his bench is phenomenal). The Mets have shown all year that they can dip to their farm team and get guys who produce. The top players on the AAA team are all RH at bats. Wilpns maybe putzes, but Alderson and DePodesta are two of the greatest minds in baseball. I really don't care who the guy is they bring in (or don't bring in), they get that benefit of the doubt from me 100% of the time.

That being said, matchups aren't important in the grand scheme of the regular season. Collins has kept this team in a playoff spot pretty much all year and their plan right now is to get these young lefties at bats against lefties to develop them. If it becomes an issue down the stretch expect them to play more for matchups.

The Mets are looking for guys who take pitches and force opposing managers to use their bullpen where the Mets feast. Not names. Not even really experience. They want guys who will do whats asked and execute. As a result, Mets generate walks and lots of late inning runs. To me, developing the batters should be a top priority, it hasn't really hurt them. COuld the Mets have more wins? Sure. But its not keeping them off pace for the playoffs and they should have funds this year to make some upgrades (some of the players you listed could fit that bill).

The bullpen is a more pressing issue because we aren't really developing guys there (save Parnell I guess). A few small deals to upgrade the depth would be welcome. At the deadline, if they have cash, they can decide between a big righty bat (preferably in the outfield) or a reliever (possibly both) to lock down the bullpen.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:51 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The Mets don't give a **** about any of the reasons you listed cause they don't matter that much. Never had an MLB at-bat? Once upon a time neither did literally every single human being to ever play MLB. Been there done that? Never has a player ever improved? Pigeon holing a player to a position? This is a team that has shown no issue with moving young guys around to get at bats (and frankly, this to me is what makes Collins a great manager. His management of his bench is phenomenal). The Mets have shown all year that they can dip to their farm team and get guys who produce. The top players on the AAA team are all RH at bats. Wilpns maybe putzes, but Alderson and DePodesta are two of the greatest minds in baseball. I really don't care who the guy is they bring in (or don't bring in), they get that benefit of the doubt from me 100% of the time.

That being said, matchups aren't important in the grand scheme of the regular season. Collins has kept this team in a playoff spot pretty much all year and their plan right now is to get these young lefties at bats against lefties to develop them. If it becomes an issue down the stretch expect them to play more for matchups.

The Mets are looking for guys who take pitches and force opposing managers to use their bullpen where the Mets feast. Not names. Not even really experience. They want guys who will do whats asked and execute. As a result, Mets generate walks and lots of late inning runs. To me, developing the batters should be a top priority, it hasn't really hurt them. COuld the Mets have more wins? Sure. But its not keeping them off pace for the playoffs and they should have funds this year to make some upgrades (some of the players you listed could fit that bill).

The bullpen is a more pressing issue because we aren't really developing guys there (save Parnell I guess). A few small deals to upgrade the depth would be welcome. At the deadline, if they have cash, they can decide between a big righty bat (preferably in the outfield) or a reliever (possibly both) to lock down the bullpen.
Well, looks like I'm right.

The Mets seem keen to complete a deal for Ramon Hernandez (right handed hitting catcher, one of my favorites) and LHP Matt Reynolds (having a good year). The return would probably be around Justin Turner and probably another player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...interests-mets

Also, Mets have scouts in San Diego to watch Carlos Quinten and the Padres want Michael Fulmer, who I like since he is a top prospect fireballer. It would be tough to lose him.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilvaMedia/s...35867936260096

Old
07-08-2012, 09:56 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

BTW, the reason I said those reasons is that if the Mets want to be a playoff team, they can't go out testing their AAA players during this important stretch of games. They need everyday MLBers.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Bunk Moreland

LaRussa will announce today that Matt Cain will start for NL in the All-Star Game.

Not the end of the world but god I really hate Tony LaRussa...

Also Zack Wheeler looked sick last night in the futures game hitting 98 and throwing a nasty breaking ball cannot wait for him and Harvey to arrive.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:37 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
LaRussa will announce today that Matt Cain will start for NL in the All-Star Game.

Not the end of the world but god I really hate Tony LaRussa...

Also Zack Wheeler looked sick last night in the futures game hitting 98 and throwing a nasty breaking ball cannot wait for him and Harvey to arrive.
I didn't get to see the futures game, I really wanted to see Billy Hamilton play. Hamilton has 104 Stolen Bases in 82 games so far.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Bunk Moreland

Dillon Gee to the disabled list due to a blood cot in his right shoulder. Maybe it's Matt Harvey time? Would be nice but it'll probably be Batista or some other rando.