HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The "Fire Arniel" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
yes. I absolutely wrote it. I'll admit that I do not come on here every single day so perhaps you have eluded elsewhere to who the veteran cancer in the room is but all I see are thinly veiled remarks about SOMEONE being the cancer but you not tightening your belt and stating just who this cancer is.
Let me spell it out for you....

It is my opinion that we have a problem in the locker room. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that we have opened up the pocket book, shown people the door and yet still don't compete. What else is left??

Lack of leadership.
Bad attitude.
Failure to buy into new program.
Rejection of new program.

And yeah I had a thought that this (pick one) attitude is being demonstrated by a veteran, someone who the players look up to because I see men on the ice who have no jump in their step. I see players during post game pressers who look severely stressed, broken spirits, almost like children living in an abusive home.

If you read more of my comments then you will see that I have moved deeper into that wondering why this situation is happening. Is it because the players somewhat feel betrayed? Is it because we don't have positive mentoring going on? Is it that ownership or management is so far out of touch with their locker room that they don't know/ignore the undercurrent of their players?

It is like a disease, a cancer.

Just a thought process. You're welcome to join in.

Old
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Old
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Apparently.

And there is more....

http://twitter.com/#!/search/aportzline

Howson's take...

Aportzline Aaron Portzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson on today's practice: "It was ... I'm measuring my words here ... very appropriate."

Old
10-16-2011, 04:55 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
This made me think and I'm sure it's not the point you were going after but maybe a valid one...

Commodore was popular in the room. He took it upon himself to make team dinners and things like that. Some were critical of his influence but what is the value of someone like that on a team who will step up and do the very necessary aspect of team bonding?

I think it's pretty significant and maybe that's what we are missing.

At the risk of being stoned to death at the mention of his name, we have had others who were "father" type figures to the team and they were also abruptly removed. When that absence is not filled, how do you expect to create chemistry/brotherhood? How successful do we expect them to be without it?

Just thinking out loud and trying to figure this mess out. We're so close to being good. I think it's something obvious and simple. Again, a disease that needs a cure. Quickly.
I have absolutely no insider information what-so-ever.

There is a difference between an older brother who invites the younger brothers over for Thanksgiving or a home-cooked meal versus the one who invites his brothers to his frat parties at college when they are underage.

This is another case where we are missing Manny (or someone like him).

Old
10-16-2011, 05:01 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I have absolutely no insider information what-so-ever.

There is a difference between an older brother who invites the younger brothers over for Thanksgiving or a home-cooked meal versus the one who invites his brothers to his frat parties at college when they are underage.

Manny would have been another example to use. I used Commodore, not as an endorsement of his activity or influence but because the post I responded to used him specifically.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:24 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Yep.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
Apparently.

And there is more....

http://twitter.com/#!/search/aportzline

Howson's take...

Aportzline Aaron Portzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson on today's practice: "It was ... I'm measuring my words here ... very appropriate."
Well, I hope it makes a difference.
I still remember a couple years ago when we were crumbling in November and Hitch kept taking days off. That drove me nuts.
Edit: I miss Manny too, definitely one of my favorite players.

Old
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
5StringBuzz

My concern about replacing either Howson or Arniel (or both) is who in the organization is qualified to select the replacement? If Arniel is fired, will Howson pick the replacement? He picked Arniel, so why should anybody feel confident about any replacement Howson would pick? As for Howson, nobody above him in the organization has the knowledge to pick anyone better, unless I've severely misjudged Priest or the ownership group. That makes the problem of replacements bigger, IMHO.

Old
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Could it be that Arniel's new AHL-tested system gained him success early in the season, but once the other NHL coaches figured out how to beat his system... well, that was about 27 games ago. it's not unlike the trajectory Steve Mason's career has taken.
I don't think the successful coaches around the league necessarily have systems that mystify the other coaches, so getting "the book" on Arniel's systems probably hasn't been the key to defeating the CBJ. Right now, it's hard to see a real system at work, and it seems to be the Jackets themselves who are mystified a lot of the time. It seems to me motivation and compete level are persistent problems. The players should absolutely bring the highest possible compete level to every game without a lot of shoving from the coaches, but in the CBJ's case, squeezing the most out of the players appears to be a big part of the problem, and one that Arny doesn't seem to have a handle on.

Old
10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
My concern about replacing either Howson or Arniel (or both) is who in the organization is qualified to select the replacement? If Arniel is fired, will Howson pick the replacement? He picked Arniel, so why should anybody feel confident about any replacement Howson would pick? As for Howson, nobody above him in the organization has the knowledge to pick anyone better, unless I've severely misjudged Priest or the ownership group. That makes the problem of replacements bigger, IMHO.
You've just made the case for keeping them both until season's end unless the CBJ go winless in another 10.

Old
10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
You've just made the case for keeping them both until season's end unless the CBJ go winless in another 10.
I don't think inaction through incompetence is that compelling of a case. What's going to change between now and the end of year if you are worried about picking a Howson replacement?

Old
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
5StringBuzz

My comment was partly about taking a hard look at management above Howson's level in addition to looking at Howson and Arniel, since I don't feel confident about Priest making those choices if it comes to that.

Old
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
My comment was partly about taking a hard look at management above Howson's level in addition to looking at Howson and Arniel, since I don't feel confident about Priest making those choices if it comes to that.
Comfortable or not, it is what it is.

Old
10-17-2011, 08:09 AM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Let me spell it out for you....

Just a thought process. You're welcome to join in.
You are welcome to your own condescension as I have no interest in it.

I gathered that you had specifically chosen a veteran on the team who was the lesion and that you kept hinting at whom but wouldn't spill the beans. My original reply was in hopes that you would, in fact, spill the beans. I didn't realize you would misinterpret it as my wanting to see you go on and on without really saying much.

Old
10-17-2011, 08:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
If you truly feel no confidence in the guy above Arniel and Howson, then perhaps before either of them are fired, we look above them first.

Old
10-17-2011, 08:48 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
If you truly feel no confidence in the guy above Arniel and Howson, then perhaps before either of them are fired, we look above them first.
If you think you can get Priest or the majority owner removed, have at it. One of those pieces isn't going to fall, at least anytime soon, the other seems to be a lifer.

We probably should concentrate on what is the more likely, Priest and the majority owner staying.

Old
10-17-2011, 08:55 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
I didn't realize you would misinterpret it as my wanting to see you go on and on without really saying much.
I don't know, never got the feeling she was pointing at someone specifically. Felt more like an attempt at something in the realm of Occam's razor. At least a "sort of" version based on the more understood application.

Kind of "We've eliminated everything else, what's left?".

Then again, I didn't read the exchange that carefully, so I might have missed something. I kind of read her stuff, felt like I understood where she was going, didn't have a real opinion so didn't feel the need to comment much.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

In case anyone missed the post on puckrakers, about Sunday practice, here is the story from this mornings print edition.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...s-jackets.html

Old
10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
AV50

Nugent-Hopkins OWNS Rick Nash right now. Nash hasn't played to his potential the last 3 years, and that is a huuuuuge problem for this team.

Another problem: What was the point of ridding of Hejda, signing Martinek? They are equal; Martinek won't do anything Hejda couldn't do. Methot sucks. Tyutin sucks. Russell is too small. Clitsome is too small. Savard is.. idk.

Nash isn't trying. Carter is playing? Umberger is playing? Vermette sucks. Brassard sucks. Calvert, Atkinson can only do so much. Dorsett is Dorsett and Boll is Boll. Mackenzie is usually pretty consistent. Mason sucks.

Bright spot? Vinny Prospal.

How do these problems just "up and fix" themselves? They don't.

Evidence? The past 11 freaking. years. of. this. franchise.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV50 View Post
Nugent-Hopkins OWNS Rick Nash right now. Nash hasn't played to his potential the last 3 years, and that is a huuuuuge problem for this team.

Another problem: What was the point of ridding of Hejda, signing Martinek? They are equal; Martinek won't do anything Hejda couldn't do. Methot sucks. Tyutin sucks. Russell is too small. Clitsome is too small. Savard is.. idk.

Nash isn't trying. Carter is playing? Umberger is playing? Vermette sucks. Brassard sucks. Calvert, Atkinson can only do so much. Dorsett is Dorsett and Boll is Boll. Mackenzie is usually pretty consistent. Mason sucks.

Started drinking early this morning, huh?

Old
10-17-2011, 10:58 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

Carter has flu, you would like only stand with flu not play. Nashplays good... Umberger plays terrible in the offense it could be good to give him away from Vermette.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
macserv

Send a message via AIM to macserv
Quote:
Carter is playing? Umberger is playing? Vermette sucks. Brassard sucks. Calvert, Atkinson can only do so much. Dorsett is Dorsett and Boll is Boll. Mackenzie is usually pretty consistent. Mason sucks.

"Peoples is peoples."

Old
10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

We'll trade you Claude Noel for Scott Arniel.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:55 PM
CBJCougar

What is up with putting Brassard and Umberger on the top line?? What the hell happened to "Earn IT?"

I realize we have injuries and need to fill spots but if you paint EARN IT on the wall, then stand behind it. Sending these kind of mixed messages only adds to the confusion.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Hooks

Quote:

I love it. Best Post / Rant of the year.

I say we have someone cheap shot Nash every game. It seems to me when someone gives him a cheap shot he plays really really good. Other then that he just goes through the motions. Either step it up Rick and be a freakin captain or remove the C and give it to someone who cares.

Last edited by Hooks: 10-17-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: formatting
Closed Thread