HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Fire Arniel" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Sometimes things happen in the middle of periods. I don't recall Vermette falling down a lot until the third period. I know once when I was playing in my beer league I was hopping on the ice as another guy was coming off and we clinked skate blades as we made our transition. I immediately had no edge on one of my skates and all I could do was push off the other one and hope no one noticed I could only make quick moves in one direction. Luckily it was the end of the game and my last shift.

If something happened in the beginning or middle of the third period it would take too long to fix for it to be worthwhile unless it's a MAJOR issue [like if your skate blade comes out of the holder]. Sharpening skates takes a good 5-10 minutes [maybe shorter if the guys are real pros], and untaping and unlacing skates just to switch over to another pair, retaping and relacing probably would take 10 minutes as well. It's possible that he was told or that he decided to just work through it because otherwise the team would've essentially been down a man for most of the last period.

Just speculating, of course.
Nice job, Fan. Thanks for explaining that.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Not having some players does not change the fact that anytime this team as a lead late in the 3rd Arneil goes into prevent mode and loses the game.
Precisely. Two of our losses can be directly attributed to that.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:30 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Not that I'm advocating him, but anyone think it's possible Hitch has had any kind of revelation regarding his coaching strategy in the "new nhl" during his hiatus? He's had to have done some thinking when seeing all these coaching positions go to other guys.
I wish this could be true, but there's a reason why "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a cliche.

Old
10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Precisely. Two of our losses can be directly attributed to that.
And that is just this season. How many times did it happen last year?

Old
10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Scott Arniel post-game last night:
Quote:
I thought we played a great game. We took a penalty there at the end, and just unraveled from there.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ame-no.-8.html

At NO point did I think the CBJ played "great." If that's his definition of a great game, we may struggle to win more than 10 games all season. Sigh.

Old
10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Scott Arniel post-game last night:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ame-no.-8.html

At NO point did I think the CBJ played "great." If that's his definition of a great game, we may struggle to win more than 10 games all season. Sigh.
And on the heels of that "great" game...

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

Quote:
At 0-7-1 after a crushing 4-3 loss to Ottawa on Saturday, the Blue Jackets took a day off today. They'll get back to work on at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, giving them a day to get ready for a rematch with Detroit.
You're taking a day off? Hell no! Get their butts in there and practice. At 0-7-1 you don't deserve days off. You've taken the whole season off so far. Get in there and fix what's wrong!

Old
10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
And on the heels of that "great" game...

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

You're taking a day off? Hell no! Get their butts in there and practice. At 0-7-1 you don't deserve days off. You've taken the whole season off so far. Get in there and fix what's wrong!
If Arniel was Mike Keenan, you bet they would have practiced today.

Old
10-23-2011, 05:48 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
If Arniel was Mike Keenan, you bet they would have practiced today.
Wonder what Iron Mike is doing these days?

Old
10-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wonder what Iron Mike is doing these days?
He's almost done completing the PC Coaching classes. Word is he's failing.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So is 1-8-1 enough? How much worse do we have to get?

Old
10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Milltec

the lines I saw after the tyutin goal were awful. what the hell was Arneil doing? honestly, i was shouting at the tv because he was just giving the sabres their goal back.. what the @*&#@^?

Old
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
So is 1-8-1 enough? How much worse do we have to get?
1-10-1?

Old
10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
1-10-1?
Yea I really cant see the Jackets beating Chi or Ana so might aswell pull the trigger then. Get it over with.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Sometimes if the "trigger is pulled" on a coach early enough in the season, it is enough to right the ship. This franchise has unfortunately been really bad at that.

I'm not sure we would even need a "big name" guy... but just someone who can implement a damned plan that works! This team is just too good on paper to have only won ONE game this season.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:03 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

The problem I see is that we won't get a brand new, shiny head coach. We already have 2 head coaches on the payroll. I doubt John P. authorizes adding another for the remainder of this season. You would most likely see interim head coach Richards or Hitchcock (highly unlikely IMO). Maybe you'd see a change of GM and HC in the off season, but I think you'd be stuck with Todd Richards for this year.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
10-28-2011, 05:16 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Sometimes if the "trigger is pulled" on a coach early enough in the season, it is enough to right the ship. This franchise has unfortunately been really bad at that.

I'm not sure we would even need a "big name" guy... but just someone who can implement a damned plan that works! This team is just too good on paper to have only won ONE game this season.
Any move at this point isn't about this season, its about next season.

Someone in the GDT said it would take 5 straight wins to right the ship. But it is really more like the equivalent of 7 or 8 straight because not everyone in front of you will lose when you go on a winning streak.

You're talking about getting 66% of the possible remaining points in order to back into the playoffs. To put that into perspective, you are talking about a pace roughly equivalent to what the Washington Capitals did during the course of last season to put up 107 points--better than the likes of Detroit and San Jose over the course of last season.

And, to be honest, while this team is an improvement over last's on paper, it has some gaping holes, as we are discovering. The top line, when healthy, is as good as just about any in the league. What makes up our second line probably should be lower in the depth charts from the looks of it. For all intents and purposes, we don't really have a second line.

And the defense...why we are committed to a bulk of these guys long term is beyond me. Howson once again gave up flexibilty (as he had by giving Klesla and Russell their extensions previously) in order to sustain the "core" of a subpar unit.

And then there's the goaltending issue....

This coaching job was a tough job for a guy like Arniel. The inconsistency in his staff probably hasn't helped. I think he's devolved into the throwing crap at the wall phase. But, again, he shouldn't be the only one fired if it is determined change is needed.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:33 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
but I think you'd be stuck with Todd Richards for this year.
He might not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but it makes sense on a few levels if you are going to make a change.

Seriously folks, a < 65% PK @ 9 games in? How is that even possible? That communicated "rule of thumb" on special teams @ a combined 100+? Yeah, we are < 75.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I know its gaining steam, but I really don't think we'll see a change till mid november, at the earliest.

This team still hasn't played at full strength and management has stated that they aren't judging Arniel until he has a full complement, and even then I'd expect them to give him a few weeks at least. (Not taking Juice's injury into consideration for being "in fold" since it was a LTI)

If this season truly is over, and we are going by the notion that it was "playoffs or bust", then it can be argued that its pretty close to a sure thing now, then I'd assume there's no rush to release Arniel simply from that standpoint. A hard sell to the paying customers at Nationwide, giving up 10 games in instead of making a move with the potential to catch lightning in a bottle for this season, but there it is.

I kind of feel bad for Arniel, if I remember right, his wife and daughter stayed in Manitoba last year so his daughter could finish High School, and he had planned on moving them down here this season, kinda sucks that he'd be up and looking for work with all the family movement just getting settled. That said, he'd be "Hitchcocked" and could theoretically continue to collect a paycheck from the franchise for the duration of the contract, assuming he didn't get another job, which I think is less likely to happen with Arniel, he'll be working somewhere if this falls though.

Nevermind Arniel's job, these next 3 weeks will tell us a lot about Howson's job security for beyond this season.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
AV50

Clear the whole stinkin' house!!!

Old
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Arniel cannot for it that Umberger with Vermette played until the game with Detroit sjit (sorry but it is right) and he cannot bench them or HS (Portzline said it). It is not for Arniel that Carter played with flue and later injured, that our the second pair is injured that Wiz was suspended and especially that mason plays not good and he cannot change him because of the other g-men are even whorse and dekanich injured.

Only one thing... Johansen and Mayorov... these boys could not be benched. It is the same thing with Johansen as with Filatov... we can wait when he lost his confidence and its finding will be not quick. Mayorov is better than Dorsett but i do not know but Dorsett must be his favourite or i do not know why but this man belongs to AHL not NHL... and still PK... Giroux is AHL player too he does not belong to the second line. If he would let play the line Majorov--Johansen--McKenzie more I would be agree but not bench.

And one thing... Vermette with Umberger are better third line together they do not think anything... Umberger ice vision and hockey sense are simply average... (Vermette only a bit better),he is great worker and in the front of the net he is good to the two skill players.... but not with Vermette to the second line. next, Brassard is simply overrated but he is maximum the second line center not more... Put to Nash Johansen and not Derick.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Arniel cannot for it that Umberger with Vermette played until the game with Detroit sjit (sorry but it is right) and he cannot bench them or HS (Portzline said it). It is not for Arniel that Carter played with flue and later injured, that our the second pair is injured that Wiz was suspended and especially that mason plays not good and he cannot change him because of the other g-men are even whorse and dekanich injured.

Only one thing... Johansen and Mayorov... these boys could not be benched. It is the same thing with Johansen as with Filatov... we can wait when he lost his confidence and its finding will be not quick. Mayorov is better than Dorsett but i do not know but Dorsett must be his favourite or i do not know why but this man belongs to AHL not NHL... and still PK... Giroux is AHL player too he does not belong to the second line. If he would let play the line Majorov--Johansen--McKenzie more I would be agree but not bench.

And one thing... Vermette with Umberger are better third line together they do not think anything... Umberger ice vision and hockey sense are simply average... (Vermette only a bit better),he is great worker and in the front of the net he is good to the two skill players.... but not with Vermette to the second line. next, Brassard is simply overrated but he is maximum the second line center not more... Put to Nash Johansen and not Derick.
Honestly, I can't disagree with much of what you've posted, here. Maybe the Johan/Filatov comparison, but not too much else.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Honestly, I can't disagree with much of what you've posted, here. Maybe the Johan/Filatov comparison, but not too much else.
I thought that such Filatov as Johansen is benched for only one mistake and play with MacKenzie... fortunately Johansen is big so he can find pucks in the corner or in the front of the net because combination is what Umberger with Vermette do not know good, especially Umberger... shoot and skate it is their style. It is what players like Filatov, later Huselius and this year Atkinson could not do too good. They are players for combination and small.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Fire everyone. Blow up the team. Rebuild behind Carter and maybe Nash, although I'd rather trade Nash for a goalie or high end defensman. Just...change it all.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He might not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but it makes sense on a few levels if you are going to make a change.

Seriously folks, a < 65% PK @ 9 games in? How is that even possible? That communicated "rule of thumb" on special teams @ a combined 100+? Yeah, we are < 75.
Pahlsson/Dorse/DMac/Vermette are the forwards with the most PK time on the team. Hell, Bass has seen 3 minutes in only 5 games (compared to 4 minutes for Nash in 10 games).

This is the problem with the PK. The best players are not on the ice when it matters.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
This is the biggest thing that sticks out to me. How can you be so god awful on the PP and the PK at the same time. If you cant contribute anything on the powerplay, how can you be terrible on the PK at the same time and still be on this team. It just boggles the mind!

Closed Thread