HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Fire Arniel" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He might not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but it makes sense on a few levels if you are going to make a change.

Seriously folks, a < 65% PK @ 9 games in? How is that even possible? That communicated "rule of thumb" on special teams @ a combined 100+? Yeah, we are < 75.
I know this isn't a popular thought, but I liked Hitchcock's approach to the PK. He wanted his best players on the ice to kill penalties.

Funny thing, when they were in Philly, both Richards and Carter were on the PK units.

At one time, Mike Richards and Rick Nash were 1-2 in shorthanded goals over a multi-year period. Having guys with Nash and Carter's size, reach and skills forces opposing power play units to play with much more caution, because if Carter or Nash break clean it's probably a shortie scored.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I must agree Nash belongs to PK.

Nash--Vermette
Umberger--Pahlsson/MacKenzie

Btw, I am not sure but maybe it can help Nash to better achievments.

Last edited by mt-svk: 10-28-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old
10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah I have noticed how Arniel isn't playing Nash on the PK. That was probably the one thing I liked about Hitchcock.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I know its gaining steam, but I really don't think we'll see a change till mid november, at the earliest.
Possible. Even likely. Priest is clueless.

Quote:
This team still hasn't played at full strength and management has stated that they aren't judging Arniel until he has a full complement, and even then I'd expect them to give him a few weeks at least. (Not taking Juice's injury into consideration for being "in fold" since it was a LTI)
Yes, we have to be a full strength to evaluate a coach...

I guess Nash and Carter must never be out of the lineup for us to have a prayer. Yes, we aren't a full strength. No we shouldn't be 1-8-1 even with this lineup. To put it in perspective, we were more competitive as an expansion team.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:40 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

I guess Nash and Carter must never be out of the lineup for us to have a prayer. Yes, we aren't a full strength. No we shouldn't be 1-8-1 even with this lineup. To put it in perspective, we were more competitive as an expansion team.
But Carter played only two games well... than with flu and later he injured. By the way I agree with you but I doubt Nash would play with Brassard and IMO he is not so good enough overrated player.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

My concern is this: how do we know Richards isn't WORSE than Arniel? The guy IS coaching the special teams BTW. Maybe he's a big part of the problem?

Old
10-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Doug19

To me it seems like Arniel thinks he knows more than the best coaches in the game. Almost every coach uses the best guys on the PK. Also he seems to think he can judge talent better than other coaches, because here Giroux is a top 6 guy, but everywhere else he was an AHL guy. The guy is over his head period, I've never seen a coach use his talent worse than Arniel does, he just has no clue what lines to send out when, that is apparent every night now, and became even more apparent when he sent out Mackenzie and Dorsett on the PK last night when we were down by a goal late instead of using Umberger, Nash or Vermette.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:07 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
To me it seems like Arniel thinks he knows more than the best coaches in the game. Almost every coach uses the best guys on the PK. Also he seems to think he can judge talent better than other coaches, because here Giroux is a top 6 guy, but everywhere else he was an AHL guy. The guy is over his head period, I've never seen a coach use his talent worse than Arniel does, he just has no clue what lines to send out when, that is apparent every night now, and became even more apparent when he sent out Mackenzie and Dorsett on the PK last night when we were down by a goal late instead of using Umberger, Nash or Vermette.
Nice post Doug. Ditto for me.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
10-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Hooks

Interesting read. These are the type of players that Columbus needs now to fire up the gang.

Locker room spark plugs are crucial Stanley Cup ingredients
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...p&sct=hp_wr_a4

Old
10-29-2011, 08:59 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

I'm not sure if you mean never injured or never off the ice.

I'm saying neither. I believe Arniel needs to consider putting Nash on one pk unit, and when he returns Carter on the other one. It's important to have a threat to make teams think hard before getting too aggressive on the PP.

Nash made a huge difference on Hitch's pk. Of course, I thought Hitch wasn't the problem so much as Howson wanted a different style and filled his roster with players to fit Howson's ideas instead of what Hitch coached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
Interesting read. These are the type of players that Columbus needs now to fire up the gang.

Oh, do they mean like Peca, Malhotra and Chimera? Maybe Hejda too?

Old
10-29-2011, 09:31 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I'm not sure if you mean never injured or never off the ice.
I meant what I said, not in the lineup. I was discussing that we can't "evaluate the team" until Carter is back. It was a follow up of the injury comments KBW made.

It had nothing to do with special teams discussion.

Yep, Nash and Carter should be on the PK. Teams started to worry about Nash when he was out there, gave them something else to think about. He can cover a lot of ice with that stick.

There is no excuse for a 65% PK 10 games in. You should be able to do better than that with an AHL team.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:12 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

We have a GM that misuses the money he's given and a head coach that misuses the talent he's given.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Matt

Mayorov hustles all the time and gets sent down. Calvert, who has done nothing in Springfield and is a minus 4 in 4 games gets recalled. I guess hustling is a bad thing on this team. Coach says Calvert has "found his game" and Mayorov has "lost his game"

Old
10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post

Honestly I feel that this franchise's problem is that they've always had too many of those kind of players, and not enough of the good kind.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:04 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Honestly I feel that this franchise's problem is that they've always had too many of those kind of players, and not enough of the good kind.
Kind of. It seems like we've never had a situation where we've had players that demand accountability and excellence and those players are listened to or their message is taken to heart. We've brought in guys like this, Sydor, (Can be argued: Richardson) to a much lesser extent, Fedorov, and they were basically tuned out by the establishment. At some point, a player says to himself, "Why do I bother anymore?" This organization brings in veterans to score points and help Nash enforce his captaincy, leaving their voices lost somewhere in Nash's nonexistent message beyond his cliched comments to the media.

Wiz and Prospal are our new guys like that, I just hope they don't become jaded with this situation too quickly, especially for Wiz since he's signed the rest of his prime away here.

There's an establishment here that doesn't want you rocking the boat, even if you are brought in to energize the room or its leadership....

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 10-29-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old
10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Mayorov hustles all the time and gets sent down.
You are watching a different player than me.

Old
10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
This organization brings in veterans to score points and help Nash enforce his captaincy, leaving their voices lost somewhere in Nash's nonexistent message beyond his cliched comments to the media.
This is a common lament, but I have yet to hear any current or former Jacket say anything negative about Nash as a captain. Do we just assume that his comments to the media are the same as what he says in the dressing room? Or that his quiet demeanor disqualifies him from the captaincy? Or is it just, basically, that they haven't found their way out of the wilderness, so he must be at fault as the captain?

It seems to me to be a useless argument, since none of us can know the answer, unless someone on the inside comes out and comments on it. Then again, most of what we get wound up about is fairly useless badinage.

Old
10-29-2011, 11:06 PM
solomonsacct

I tried to search but came up empty. Does anyone else feel it's Priest more than anything that is the problem?

Curious.

Old
10-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

FIRE ****ING EVERYONE!!!

that might just be the beer talking.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:44 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
I tried to search but came up empty. Does anyone else feel it's Priest more than anything that is the problem?

Curious.
Under qualified for his position? Sure. However, he didn't build this team. He's not signing contracts, he's not coaching. Part of the problem? Sure. More than anything? No.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:36 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Under qualified for his position? Sure. However, he didn't build this team. He's not signing contracts, he's not coaching. Part of the problem? Sure. More than anything? No.
If he had made the decision to hire Howson, then yes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Priest's decision. His culpability is dereliction of duty by not bringing in a senior executive to oversee and advise hockey operations.

The main culprit is the architect of this disaster, the person who selected the roster and the coaching staff.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post

Curious.
Priest is a part of the problem. Generally seen as not being competent enough in Hockey Matters or having enough Hockey Savvy people he can lean in to advise him... Not all his fault, but he was the one the leading the charge to get MacLean axed 5 years ago and he was instrumental in the team hiring Hitchcock.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
If he had made the decision to hire Howson, then yes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Priest's decision. His culpability is dereliction of duty by not bringing in a senior executive to oversee and advise hockey operations.

The main culprit is the architect of this disaster, the person who selected the roster and the coaching staff.
Plenty of blame to go around to be sure.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Hipster Letestu

I absolutely hate seeing people lose their jobs. I've been fired before and it really is one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced. You feel mixtures of anger, shame, helplessness, self-pity, self-loathing, and fear. This will affect not just him but his whole family in the middle of the school year and approaching the holidays. That being said, Arniel needs to go. He makes some truly baffling decisions that make me question his abilities as a head coach. He starts the Pahlsson line on offensive-zone faceoffs when other teams put their top line out, effectively negating any scoring opportunity. His decisions on who to start in goal last year were awful. His line combinations and refusal to demote certain players borders on silly. The personnel decisions which I assume he is part of (AHL-NHL) have made little to no sense. While everyone here sided with him, the way he handled the Commodore situation last year stunk of arrogance and disregard for the team. Honestly if he ever truly lost the room I feel that it started with that situation where he seemed to put his own personal feelings ahead of what was best for the team. I don't know if Hitch 2.0 is going to improve this team all that much. The defense is horrible, and I don't think the season is savable at this point, but can Hitch really be worse than what we're seeing right now?

Old
10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
The defense is horrible, and I don't think the season is savable at this point, but can Hitch really be worse than what we're seeing right now?
No, he can't be worse. And at least he knows what team defense is, something Arniel never grasped.

Closed Thread