Bruins @ Chicago 10/15/11

Old
10-15-2011, 11:37 PM
BostonAJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why would Jagr want to play in Boston?
I like to think that Boston became a favored point of destination for free agents last summer. We keep the team going strong this year, and we can start heading in the Pats direction - team wins as a team, and the talent is there to support you.

We need another scoring forward. And if Lucic is in for an off year, we really need one. For years, Jacobs turned the Bruins into a "anywhere but there" destination. The chance is there to turn the tide, and Pouliot isn't the tide turner.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Soderberg

Are people really giving crap to Pouliot because he had 1 bad penalty. At least he had great effort on that play. He's looked great so far, imo.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:38 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
He was amazing in the shootout. I thought for certain Chicago would go minimum 2 for 3 since Toews, Kane, and Sharp all have very quick hands. Thomas came up huge though and stopped all...FOUR shots that he faced in the shootout.
We should have had one with Toews as all he needed to do was elevate the puck (had Thomas dead to rights). But Kane isn't as good in SOs as he should be, and Sharp just downright sucks at them. Frolik should have been taking that third shot, but Q has an ill-advised man crush on Sharp for the third spot. Sharp's a sniper, not a one-on-one time of guy.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:42 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
I like to think that Boston became a favored point of destination for free agents last summer. We keep the team going strong this year, and we can start heading in the Pats direction - team wins as a team, and the talent is there to support you.

We need another scoring forward. And if Lucic is in for an off year, we really need one. For years, Jacobs turned the Bruins into a "anywhere but there" destination. The chance is there to turn the tide, and Pouliot isn't the tide turner.
One of the weird dichotomies when switching jobs is figuring out where to go. If you go to a proven success, there's an above average chance that no matter how good you are, the culture and systems there are such that your improvement over replacement will be marginal. Heaven forbid you're below replacement. More importantly, even if you are a complete rock star, there's probably a good chance that it will be attributed less to your work and more to the system functioning as designed.

Conversely, being part of a winner and going to a place that isn't is a chance for you to implement your own things and when success comes, take full credit for it.

There's something to be said for being a big fish in a small pond.

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
ProdigalFan
StillDontGrowOnTrees

Got to give some credit to our D corp as well. They played tougher as the game wore on, through pk's and OT, while missing Quaider and covering Bart during his few shifts.

ProdigalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:59 PM
BostonAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
One of the weird dichotomies when switching jobs is figuring out where to go. If you go to a proven success, there's an above average chance that no matter how good you are, the culture and systems there are such that your improvement over replacement will be marginal. Heaven forbid you're below replacement. More importantly, even if you are a complete rock star, there's probably a good chance that it will be attributed less to your work and more to the system functioning as designed.

Conversely, being part of a winner and going to a place that isn't is a chance for you to implement your own things and when success comes, take full credit for it.

There's something to be said for being a big fish in a small pond.
That almost sounds like an argument for the sake of arguing. I mean, who the hell wants to go to Florida. Or Edmonton. Or Nashville. They'd rather go to Detroit. The big reward is with the big teams, no? Boston's always been a big team - one of the only big teams that couldn't land the big players. Chicago was in the exact same boat until recently, and they turned it around in a big way.

I remember for years the Bruins were trying to land Keith Tkachuk, thinking along the lines of another Cam Neely. Tkachuk said over and over, "God, no. Definitely not there." And he's a local boy. The Boston Bruins are one of the icons of hockey. Ray Bourque personally sustained that status for twenty years with career loyalty and sacrifice. Bourque's gone. We just won a Cup. There's a big opportunity presenting itself.

Pouliot? Come on. Get something done, Chia.

Old
10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
It remains an enigma as to why Julien thought he was the only free agent winger worth picking up this offseason. The space was there, and we do need a real top 6 winger. We all wanted Ryder gone, but only under the assumption that an improvement would be made.
I said all along Prospal was the way to go. Would have been a great tandem with Seguin. Oh well.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:03 AM
KidCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why would Jagr want to play in Boston?
I thought it made alot of sense this offseason. He was looking for a contender and we had (have) tons of cap room for it.

KidCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
He may do something in trade but Jacobs has tied Chia's hands due to the upcoming CBA.....You will notice that the traditionally more fiscally conservative franchises like Chicago, also throttled back this year....
We didn't really throttle back in the technical sense. We have large stable of good prospects and that cap room allows us to make deals for needs as when the trade deadline approaches. It also allowed for the flexibility to sign players (Sharp) to multi-year deals.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
BostonAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
He may do something in trade but Jacobs has tied Chia's hands due to the upcoming CBA.....You will notice that the traditionally more fiscally conservative franchises like Chicago, also throttled back this year....
I've been speculating the same damn thing. Either Chia spent too much time celebrating with Margaritas and Senoritas, or Jacobs gave him a mandate. The only other thought I have is Rask's looming free agency. Not sure what the plan is for that. Either way, we're one player short this year. It's like the Bourque-Neely-Oates days all over again.

Old
10-16-2011, 12:18 AM
KidCanada*

Said this in the GDT but Seguin's actually looking elite out there. We haven't had this type of skill in forever.

Old
10-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

Man, first game I miss and we finally win again! Maybe I should go to my brother's house more often! Oh well, at least I dominated in the bet thread! I got more points tonight alone than anybody else got all season I think.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:46 AM
InTentsProductions*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Still wish we signed Jagr. He would have given us 3 legit scoring lines.
jagr's been great in philly. his speed has been aspiring.

InTentsProductions* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:49 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

vCash: 50
I think the B's are trying to kill me. Had to watch it DVR'd, but I avoided GDT once the game started so I was edge of my seat during the OT and shootout.

I called Seguin with a goal and an assist in the GDT before the game started, and the kid doesn't disappoint!

I can't imagine Claude actually putting him back on the 3rd line unless he's going to be at Center. He's consistently the best skater on the ice for the B's. Can't wait for Lucic and Horton to get a rhythm going.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:51 AM
KidCanada*

How much do people attribute Seguin's success to playing his regular position? I don't think it has too much of an effect but maybe he's just alot more comfortable playing there. Could be a predicament when Krejci comes back if that's the case.

Old
10-16-2011, 01:02 AM
plemur
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botas de Hierro View Post
How much do people attribute Seguin's success to playing his regular position? I don't think it has too much of an effect but maybe he's just alot more comfortable playing there. Could be a predicament when Krejci comes back if that's the case.
None, honestly. Not me, anyway. He's ready and he's getting TOI. He's ready. He's taken two steps forward from last season, and he's ready. It may not alway be pretty, and he'll probably still have defensive lapses for the next couple of seasons, but he's blossoming. He's ready for whatever the B's can give him now. I just hope that Julien sees this and plans accordingly for TOI when Krejci gets back.

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:10 AM
RussellmaniaKW

I think Seguin himself would be playing well at either position, however I think that having him at center has helped the team immensely b/c with the way the centers on this team come down way low in the slot to help the D and then become the first option for the transition game, Seguin has had a lot of opportunities to carry the puck out of the zone and nobody on the team has a better first pass than him.

I'm also sick of people whining about Pouliot. Dude has given an honest effort in all 5 games, and his penalty tonight was reckless, but not dumb. It was a pure accident, but should be forgiven b/c it happened while he was forechecking hard and winning a battle.

People also need to realize that Pouliot was not brought in to replace Ryder or Recchi. Seguin and Marchand are supposed to replace Ryder and Recchi's production and so far that plan is working. The problem is that the team's top guys aren't producing yet.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:17 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

vCash: 50
The B's are missing a lot of passes right now, and missing a lot of chances on net. The passing will get better with time as will the chances on net. They had a very short offseason, I'm a hangover believer. Once it starts clicking the goals and the wins are going to pile up. I personally think Seguin will be 1st line Center going into the playoffs.

Oh btw Patrick Kane is friggin amazing.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Samsonov14
Best chimp ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Tyler Seguin is just unreal, kid is on his way to superstardom. Kessel has actually got himself off to a very chance to get Leafs fans all giddy: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1006131

It's actually seems unfair to get Seguin, Hamilton (17 points in 9 games) and Knight (6 goals in 7 games) for a streaky one dimensional goal scorer (although apparently he's added more dimensions to his game, we'll see on Thursday).
Kessel has been kicking butt and taking names so far. He's won a few games by himself.

Samsonov14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:26 AM
RussellmaniaKW

It will be really interesting to see if guys like Chara and Lucic can expose Kessel as being the same old guy by playing physical against him. If he has truly upped his game and does so against us, I'll be impressed.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonov14 View Post
Kessel has been kicking butt and taking names so far. He's won a few games by himself.
He looks superb so far. I'm happy for the kid.

I'm also happy with the return that we got back.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:30 AM
beantown bullies
LOOOOOOCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdasmurf2 View Post
Krecchi
Who is Krecchi? Never heard of him. Is he any good?

I'm sorry, I dont mean to single you out because its been Krecji numerous times and for all I know on a forum board you may be spelling it sarcastically, but I mean come on, the kid plays for the Bruins; can we learn to spell the players' name the correct way..

David Krejci.

beantown bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:43 AM
BostonAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown bullies View Post
Who is Krecchi? Never heard of him. Is he any good?

I'm sorry, I dont mean to single you out because its been Krecji numerous times and for all I know on a forum board you may be spelling it sarcastically, but I mean come on, the kid plays for the Bruins; can we learn to spell the players' name the correct way..

David Krejci.
You put the apostrophe in the wrong place.