HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks-4 Oilers-3

Old
10-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I wanted to keep 'Hof too, but Bieksa's value is in playoff hockey. To say this team needed to keep his chippy, tough style is an understatement.
I don't disagree we need an element like that on our blue line, but keeping Ehrhoff and jettisoning Bieksa doesn't necessary mean we couldn't find that from another acquisition somewhere. There were tons of options regarding the blue line that could have been pursued (trading Ballard, walking on Bieksa, re-signing Ehrhoff, etc.), and I dunno if any of the right decisions have been made at all. The reason the Bieksa thing is concerning is because we've seen this exact script before, and the last time he did this he sucked for 2 years. It's not necessarily as simple as Bieksa vs. Ehrhoff vs. Ballard; lots of different options could have been explored. I'm not sure the construction of the blue line as a whole is particularly well conceived; though I suppose the gamble was on Tanev's development and Edler finally finding some consistency...jury is still out on those.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Illmatic Stoic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blfr View Post
I didn't notice how nice that pass Hodgson gave on the first goal was til I re-watched the highlights. He is spinning one way and hooks it back to Salo for the slapper.

Nice heads up play. And not very surprisingly, not a single mention from anyone on CBC. Our 2nd unit powerplay is so much better than last year. Once Kesler comes back, we could be absolutely deadly!

Illmatic Stoic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I don't disagree we need an element like that on our blue line, but keeping Ehrhoff and jettisoning Bieksa doesn't necessary mean we couldn't find that from another acquisition somewhere. There were tons of options regarding the blue line that could have been pursued (trading Ballard, walking on Bieksa, re-signing Ehrhoff, etc.), and I dunno if any of the right decisions have been made at all. The reason the Bieksa thing is concerning is because we've seen this exact script before, and the last time he did this he sucked for 2 years. It's not necessarily as simple as Bieksa vs. Ehrhoff vs. Ballard; lots of different options could have been explored. I'm not sure the construction of the blue line as a whole is particularly well conceived; though I suppose the gamble was on Tanev's development and Edler finally finding some consistency...jury is still out on those.
I dont think the problem is with this defence core, even without Ehrhoff it is still in the top half of the league. The problem is scoring touch on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
I dont think the problem is with this defence core, even without Ehrhoff it is still in the top half of the league. The problem is scoring touch on the 2nd and 3rd lines.
I see two-fold problems with the blue line as it stands as of last nights game:

1. To many inconsistent high risk players: Bieksa, Ballard, and heck I'll even throw Edler in there the way he's been playing so far. Really the only dependable, calming presences out there right now are Hamhuis/Salo, and we all know it's only a matter of time before Salo is injured and Hamhuis is a man on an island with chaos all around him.
2. We've all discussed it but the lack of natural right-side defenseman (or conversely guys who can play the off-side like Ehrhoff) is a problem. It hurts our versatility and gives the coaching staff limited adjustment options if things aren't working. Not to mention if Bieksa or Salo goes down our right-side depth is downright terrible. And we've tried all the left-side defensemen on the right-side, and none of them have been able to make the transition.

Though when Rome comes back I'm sure we'll be fine as he'll take his custom 20+ minutes of ice per night due to the fact he's low-risk and low-reward.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:11 PM
deckercky

I think Ballard has overall played quite well so far this season. He and Salo's play are the two pleasant surprises. But when Hamhuis and Tanev take a step back, and Bieksa and Edler play disastrous hockey, the defence will look bad. If Tanev's play continues to be this inconsistent, he might earn himself a spot on the Wolves. Edler you have to believe will come out of his funk, and I think at some point we'll see Hamhuis and Bieksa both improve their play simultaneously at some point. It's still a solid defence, it's just overall playing as badly as can be expected.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I think the way the team is playing defensively is absolutely the problem right now (forwards included), and not so much secondary scoring.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
- Luongo looked better as there weren't really any soft goals going in and he made some good saves. Could and should be even better though, and it's very concerning when he keeps falling on his belly in every situation leaving almost the whole goal wide open. That's got to be fixed this year.

- Ballard was a mess. It's amazing how he managed to not get burned from all the horrible mistakes he made. Gave around 5 grade A scoring chances to the Oilers.

- Bieksa was pretty bad too, and has been the whole season. I had my doubts about his new contract because so far he has only been good in his contract years, and as of now it doesn't look like a very good decision. Not thinking quick enough, overcommitting on some plays and playing too soft on some plays. Stupid play on the Oilers' first goal.

- Hodgson made couple good plays but other than that wasn't very good, and at the same time his linemate Higgins was the best forward. Not a huge amount of chemistry there, but it's their first game so I guess expected.

- Sturm should be in the press box when Kesler is ready to play. Accomplishes nothing on the ice.
By now its pretty obvious Bieksa has two modes of play The Good Bieksa and the Bad Bieksa - running all over the place instead of being positionally sound esp. defensively, focused on cross checking, pushing guys around, getting into fights instead of winning puck battles. Hopefully Good Bieksa will return soon.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Man some people are critical.

I don't think Bieksa has really been any better or worse than most of the rest of the team, which seems to be going through its typical early-season growing pains. It was a nice attempt from AV to shake things up with the preseason by giving them even LESS playing time, but I think going forward, letting them play together more and sooner would be a better idea.

On another note, God, I hope Sami Salo stays healthy-ish this year. When he's healthy he can really be an impact player--so smooth defensively, and a good contributor offensively.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:06 PM
deckercky

Bieksa isn't bad like he had been a few years back, but he's continually being too aggressive, and is getting burned for it. When he dedicates himself to sitting back, letting the play come to him, and making smart plays, he's a very solid defenceman that earns $4.6M per year. Right now, he's not that.

IMO Edler's been worse this year.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
On another note, God, I hope Sami Salo stays healthy-ish this year. When he's healthy he can really be an impact player--so smooth defensively, and a good contributor offensively.
No kidding. When Salo is out there he seems to have a calming presence on the rest of the roster and his shot from the point opens up a lot of room for the rest of the PP.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Though when Rome comes back I'm sure we'll be fine as he'll take his custom 20+ minutes of ice per night due to the fact he's low-risk and low-reward.

It's weird how our defence falls apart without him

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:30 PM
thenextone

I don't think Bieksa purposely plays bad in non-contract years. His game breaks down when he tries to do too much and that is really a breakdown in coaching. They need to reign him in when he colours outside the lines.

The other issue is that Bieksa had two pretty horrific injuries during his last contract that may have contributed to his lacklustre production.

thenextone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Clean up needed in broadcast booth.
My favourite line of the game was when Reaugh was questioning the ballistics of having some electronic devise inserted into the puck.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

wrong thread

Last edited by ItsAllPartOfThePlan: 10-17-2011 at 01:04 PM.
ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
crazyforhockey

they have been off more than on.....

when off they look very similiar to last years start

when on they have looked (2nd half pitts,phi,clb....1st half det) they have looked like the group down the stretch......

most of the mistakes is knowing game situations who is covering who who is being agressive and who is protecting the net.

I do see a greeat transition game that may be alot better than last year......Ehrhoff loss more than balanced by a healthy blueline(crossed fiingers)

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Forwards are a mixed bag atm:

GOOD - Henrik, Daniel, Burr, Higgins, Lappy, Hodgson

BAD - Hansen, Malhotra, Samuelsson, Sturm

Hard to tell - Volpatti, Wiese, Ebbett

* What is bewildering is how little ice-time Lappy has been receiving even though he's been playing at a very high level often pinning the other team down on the forecheck.

* Ebbett looked serviceable in his lone game not sure why he wasn't inserted more and Lappy moved up.

* Volpatti serves a purpose and is worth keeping in the lineup, basically he's this year's Tanner Glass though he seems to be a much better fighter (or less of a wrestler).

* There's a major mitigating circumstance for Manny and he can get a free pass for the whole year as far as I'm concerned though it might be on the 4th line.

* Hansen needs a kick you know where and maybe he should be reunited with Lappy.

* Samuelsson needs the Swedish treatment ex no more PP or Sedin time for a few games until he starts showing up 5 on 5.

* Sturm situation looks kinds of hopeless but I'd give him a few more games...on the 4th line. I've noticed his 1st step has looked better so maybe he's still not 100%?

Well Kes is back tomorrow hopefully which is great news though we shouldn't expect too much for the first few games as he's obviously missed a whole month of training camp/pre-season etc...

Canucks have to send someone down, either Sulzer or Wiese would be my guess.

Lines
22-33-14
20-17-9
27-40-36
54-Ebbett-26

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:04 PM
coolcanucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta2 View Post
Not to be a troll, but it was a Vancouver fan who threw the hat onto the ice during play. Other then that, entertaining game all around.
i assume you have a proof?

coolcanucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
My favourite line of the game was when Reaugh was questioning the ballistics of having some electronic devise inserted into the puck.
I remember that. That was amazing.

On an aside, Puck Daddy has picked up on Mark Lee's raging hard-on for RNH.

Quote:
Watching the Canucks pick up a sub-par win over an Oilers team playing to the best of its abilities on Saturday, any viewer on the planet would have been forgiven for thinking Edmonton was in the midst of turning in a command performance.

He was slated to be the guest on After Hours, and you could tell the HNIC folk were working overtime to come up with a slew of puns that suited how highly they rated him (maybe the worst: calling the fans "The Hop-arazzi"). Announcer Mark Lee in particular couldn't help but make googly eyes every time the puck ended up on Nugent-Hopkins' tape, and often even when it didn't.

No one is saying Nugent-Hopkins will grow into the next Gretzky (I hope), but he's certainly being couched as the Oilers' savior, the player who will one day lead them to the promised land with a cadre of lesser but highly-talented players at his back, riding on a tidal wave of hype. And the backlash has already begun.

It's pretty easy to see three games and four goals into his career, people are already sick of the dreamy way media types are talking up his abundant talents. It's not tough to envision that Mark Lee's game notes were just pictures of Nugent-Hopkins glued on pink construction paper with little hearts to dot the 'I's.'

And given a performance like Saturday's, it's also not tough to see that continuing for every Oilers game on Hockey Night in Canada until the end of time.

So no, Nugent-Hopkins isn't the next Gretzky. But he is the next Sidney Crosby(notes). People are just going to spend their time yakking about how great he is until every fan in the league hates him, no matter how good he is.
Full read: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

We need a GDT for the rangers game, stat!

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote