HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Keep Stepan there

Old
10-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Keep Stepan there

I thought for a young player that this kid really stepped up to the plate and delivered tonight! I even thought that he was our best player on that line tonight. He was creative, very physical, and very good in his own end. Will Torts break them up after the loss?

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Vitto79

he did but it is one game. Also if that's the 1st line, then Packline, BB's line that would mean Wolski on the 4th line? what

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Stepanformayor*

Wolski is not better than the top 6 forwards that we played tonight, plus
the guy is hurt right now. Do you really think that he is in our top 6?

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Wolski is not better than the top 6 forwards that we played tonight, plu
s the guy is hurt right now. Do you really think that he is in our top 6?
if he didnt get hurt he would of had the first crack at the first line so yea. Stepan would be the C for Zuke but because of a injury he just got demoted.

I think Stepan deserves to be on that top line after 2nite and I like both the Pack line and BB,Feds, Prust but right now that 4th line is stupid with either Wolski or EC with Newbury, Rupp

I think Hagelin is a better fit or dare I say it Avery

Why was Avery sent down if they were going to send Zuke down too? Avery would make alot of sense on the 4th line

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Why was Avery sent down if they were going to send Zuke down too? Avery would make alot of sense on the 4th line

I agree. Not going to harp on it but i'd take Avery here over Kris Newbury 10/10 if MZA was going to be getting 5 minutes a night and had to be replaced.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:59 AM
McMonster

I also think that he should stay there

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:07 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
he did but it is one game. Also if that's the 1st line, then Packline, BB's line that would mean Wolski on the 4th line? what
Last year he proved it too on the top line. Is Torts ****ing blind?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:10 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Not happening

according to you analogy, that guy is doing quite well juggling 4 balls.
Step looked really good on the LW. His creativity really shows with those two. BR is able to play off of it so well and Gabo's speed can take advantage of both of their passing abilities. BR can take advantage of that passing ability/vision as well. It makes a lot of sense as Step has one of the higher hockey IQs in the club.

Anisimov was also looking like a bull a China shop. too bad he wasn't able to get his shot off before Hamonic made the nice play to break up the play. He had Nabokov beat cleanly.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:34 AM
ilezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Step looked really good on the LW. His creativity really shows with those two. BR is able to play off of it so well and Gabo's speed can take advantage of both of their passing abilities. BR can take advantage of that passing ability/vision as well. It makes a lot of sense as Step has one of the higher hockey IQs in the club.

Anisimov was also looking like a bull a China shop. too bad he wasn't able to get his shot off before Hamonic made the nice play to break up the play. He had Nabokov beat cleanly.
I think he means that after 1 bad shift Tortorella will resume juggling players through all the 4 lines.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
msv957

Gaborik and Richards are proven NHL stars. Gaborik is a racehorse and is so explosive. I do believe any decent player can play on the wing with Gaborik and Richards. I feel this is weakening the overall depth and strength of this team. There will be no balance in the overall lineup if Stepan is on the wing.

The strength of this team is at center with Richards, AA and Stepan.

Granted, Stepan did look effective last night on the wing playing with these guys but he was drafted to be a center. I believe Stepan played center at the WJC and WC this past year.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:14 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Gaborik and Richards are proven NHL stars. Gaborik is a racehorse and is so explosive. I do believe any decent player can play on the wing with Gaborik and Richards. I feel this is weakening the overall depth and strength of this team. There will be no balance in the overall lineup if Stepan is on the wing.

The strength of this team is at center with Richards, AA and Stepan.

Granted, Stepan did look effective last night on the wing playing with these guys but he was drafted to be a center. I believe Stepan played center at the WJC and WC this past year.
The problem with this is that if Torts is going to utilize Boyle as the third line with Fedotenko and Prust, Stepan is relegated to less even strength minutes and simply being left with whoever is left (probably Rupp and one of Zuccarello or Wolski). You can say that's not too big of a deal, because Stepan will get PP time, but he's not playing center on the PP either.

I prefer Stepan at center too, but only if it's going to be with second or third line minutes. If the choice is 4th line center or 1st line LW, the latter easily wins. Even if he plays this entire year at LW (he won't due to the line juggling), that doesn't mean he can't go back to Center later once we have a better 1st line LW option.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

He looked really comfortable, and was trying to be physical. Try a few more times, and see if he keeps playing well

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:56 AM
AXN

Fedotenko Boyle and Prust just work. I don't know why but they just score goals. The is not better third line. Eveybody else just juggle around Richards Gaborik, Callahan on second and Fedotenko Boyle Prust on third. Maybe it should be Anisimov as first line LW and Stepan as seconf line center but they chose Stepan. He has the offense and defense to play there.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

For now, it gives Stepan needed top 9 minutes, and he looked very good next to Richards and Gaborik. He does have a little sandpaper to his game, also. If Tortorella is going to rely on his standbys from last year - the Pack line and Feds/Boyle/Prust, then it only makes sense to use Stepan in this manner. He gets to learn firsthand from playing next to Richards, as well as taking the burden of faceoffs away from him. Time to put together a legitimate 4th line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Wolski is waste of space.

Who cares if he's not in the top six or top nine? He's brain dead.

His best value to this team is via trade.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Crease

Sort of a weird situation we have right now, especially because Wolski is hurt and doesn't look like he's going to pan out on the top line.

LW - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Feds - Boyle - Prust
LW - Center - RW

Torts is going to have to decide if he wants to rely on Feds-Boyle-Prust as his 3rd scoring line or his shut-down line. Franky, they're more reliable in a checking role but as of right now they're getting a ton of minutes and expected to put the puck in the net.

If that continues to be the case, you're going to have to build a fourth line that doesn't need to log a lot of minutes and can play strong in their own zone.

This is what we're working with:

Stepan - C/LW
Christensen - C/LW
Rupp - LW
Wolski - LW
MZA - RW
Newbury - C
Hagelin - LW

One of those guys is going to get the top line LW spot and the rest need to fill out the checking line.
Ugly. We're deep at C and very thin on the wings. Right now Stepan looks good on the wing so I'm inclined to keep him there. He's also too good and too young to log fourth line minutes.

Rupp is a given on the fourth line. Newbury fits the bill too. Hagelin intrigues me. Christensen is only on the roster to fill in when someone in the top 6 gets hurt, which will inevitably happen over the course of the season. MZA doesn't belong in the bottom 6 at the NHL level, so he's been appropriately sent down. Wolski is this year's Frolov/Zherdev/Hossa/Antropov/Balej.

Long story short, if Torts is adamant about using Feds/Boyle/Prust as his third line, Sather needs to get on the horn and make a trade for a checking line winger. We have too many AHL top 6 forwards on the NHL roster. We need a bottom six NHL winger.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Nich

Keep the first two lines and I liked some of what I saw.

Not sure what EC or Wolski contributes to the fourth line

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Sort of a weird situation we have right now, especially because Wolski is hurt and doesn't look like he's going to pan out on the top line.

LW - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Feds - Boyle - Prust
LW - Center - RW

Torts is going to have to decide if he wants to rely on Feds-Boyle-Prust as his 3rd scoring line or his shut-down line. Franky, they're more reliable in a checking role but as of right now they're getting a ton of minutes and expected to put the puck in the net.

If that continues to be the case, you're going to have to build a fourth line that doesn't need to log a lot of minutes and can play strong in their own zone.

This is what we're working with:

Stepan - C/LW
Christensen - C/LW
Rupp - LW
Wolski - LW
MZA - RW
Newbury - C
Hagelin - LW

One of those guys is going to get the top line LW spot and the rest need to fill out the checking line.
Ugly. We're deep at C and very thin on the wings. Right now Stepan looks good on the wing so I'm inclined to keep him there. He's also too good and too young to log fourth line minutes.

Rupp is a given on the fourth line. Newbury fits the bill too. Hagelin intrigues me. Christensen is only on the roster to fill in when someone in the top 6 gets hurt, which will inevitably happen over the course of the season. MZA doesn't belong in the bottom 6 at the NHL level, so he's been appropriately sent down. Wolski is this year's Frolov/Zherdev/Hossa/Antropov/Balej.

Long story short, if Torts is adamant about using Feds/Boyle/Prust as his third line, Sather needs to get on the horn and make a trade for a checking line winger. We have too many AHL top 6 forwards on the NHL roster. We need a bottom six NHL winger.
Rupp has also played center in the past.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Troy Mallette

I thought that Stepan looked great on that line, and his presence allowed us to keep two effective lines from last season together. Keep him there for now.

Troy Mallette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:06 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

If Stepan is not there and the other two lines aren't getting broken up, he gets 5-7 ES minutes a game. No thanks, keep him there.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

He definitely looked great there last night. I am just concerned that he will not develop as a Center.

10-16-2011, 02:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

That line was pretty impressive at times last night.

However I tend to disagree with Stepanformayor saying that Stepan was the best player on that line last night. I thought both he and Gaborik had very good games (aside from Gaborik's one bad play).

Two things concern me about putting Stepan on the top line LW spot. First, it will hurt his chances of developing into a very good center (which is important because he is one of our more talent young centers and we will most likely need him there in the future).

The second issue I have with that move is that it really hampers our forward depth. Having Stepan on the 3rd line, surrounded by two other offensive minded players is probably better for this team then to have the lesser offensive Boyle line playing as the 3rd line--making our 4th line basically useless. As constituted before (with Stepan at the 3rd line center spot) it gives us 3 good offensive lines and have that Boyle line on the 4th line (which it seems is their best fit).

10-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

I'm not knocking the lines he put together last night. In fact I loved them. That's why I'm upset. These lines I like aren't gonna stay.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:09 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
That line was pretty impressive at times last night.

However I tend to disagree with Stepanformayor saying that Stepan was the best player on that line last night. I thought both he and Gaborik had very good games (aside from Gaborik's one bad play).

Two things concern me about putting Stepan on the top line LW spot. First, it will hurt his chances of developing into a very good center (which is important because he is one of our more talent young centers and we will most likely need him there in the future).

The second issue I have with that move is that it really hampers our forward depth. Having Stepan on the 3rd line, surrounded by two other offensive minded players is probably better for this team then to have the lesser offensive Boyle line playing as the 3rd line--making our 4th line basically useless. As constituted before (with Stepan at the 3rd line center spot) it gives us 3 good offensive lines and have that Boyle line on the 4th line (which it seems is their best fit).
Agreed. Any decent player can play on the wing next to Richards and Gaborik. Someone will step up and take that role. Stepan was drafted to be a center. He needs to keep on developing playing the center position. This also gives the Rangers 3 good scoring lines and depth down the middle.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I like him there too.

Regarding Zuccarello, if Tortorella plays him 7 minutes with Rupp and Christensen WHILE WOLSK IS OUT INJURED, then what kind of chance does Zuccarello really have to even try to prove anything? This is another typical Tortorella move. Play the small offensive guy with two scrubs for 7 minutes and then after you lose, send him down. Just like Avery playing well in preseason and then being sent down. Just like Erixon being sent down only to be called back up and flown back and forth to Europe. Four flights total for Erixon. What a great coach. The guy is a mess. Its embarrassing to consistently be outcoached by AHL level putzes like jack capuano.

I'm sure Stepan will score two and look great on the top line only to be broken up by the next game. You all know the lunacy thats coming. When we finally fire Tortorella in January/February, watch this team come out firing on all cylinders if were healthy.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote