HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keep Stepan there

Old
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Emptyvoid

vCash: 500
Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Feds-Boyle-Prust
Rupp-Newbury-RW

Looks good to me, should be a fantastic 5v5 team.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:19 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

That's my point right there, not only is the center depth a lot weaker, but the 4th line is absolutely useless.

10-16-2011, 02:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I like him there too.

Regarding Zuccarello, if Tortorella plays him 7 minutes with Rupp and Christensen WHILE WOLSK IS OUT INJURED, then what kind of chance does Zuccarello really have to even try to prove anything? This is another typical Tortorella move. Play the small offensive guy with two scrubs for 7 minutes and then after you lose, send him down. Just like Avery playing well in preseason and then being sent down. Just like Erixon being sent down only to be called back up and flown back and forth to Europe. Four flights total for Erixon. What a great coach. The guy is a mess. Its embarrassing to consistently be outcoached by AHL level putzes like jack capuano.

I'm sure Stepan will score two and look great on the top line only to be broken up by the next game. You all know the lunacy thats coming. When we finally fire Tortorella in January/February, watch this team come out firing on all cylinders if were healthy.
err, Sather is the one sending players up and down, not Torts.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
according to you analogy, that guy is doing quite well juggling 4 balls.
Step looked really good on the LW. His creativity really shows with those two. BR is able to play off of it so well and Gabo's speed can take advantage of both of their passing abilities. BR can take advantage of that passing ability/vision as well. It makes a lot of sense as Step has one of the higher hockey IQs in the club.

Anisimov was also looking like a bull a China shop. too bad he wasn't able to get his shot off before Hamonic made the nice play to break up the play. He had Nabokov beat cleanly.
Agree on all points. About the Anisimov play I'd still like him to just shoot the puck instead of trying to deke to a worse angle and hope to score a pretty goal. We still need more quality shots. Even if his shot doesn't go in, it potentially gives a rebound chance to dubi or cally.

And to a few others, I'm not worried about Stepan not developing as a center. He's not going to forget how to play center if he spends he year on the wing. If anything, playing with those two accelerates his development as a HOCKEY PLAYER. You don't take him off the wing if he's working out there because you're worried about who will play third line center in two years down the road. That's absurd. We have JT Miller who can play that spot when the time comes if we need him to. He plays all three forward positions quite well.

Stepan Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Thomas Miller Kreider
Boyle Rupp Prust

That could be our lineup as early as next year. The kid line is a long shot but as a third line, protected not only by the two lines above it, but also the capable fourth line who can play more minutes whenever needed, it's not that much of a liability.

Anyway, I think Stepan needs to stay there for now until it doesn't work. It's a waste of Stepans ability to play him 10 minutes a game with grinders. Especially now that both Zuccarello (1.75) and Avery (1.9) are in Connecticut. With Staal injured, what the hell are we saving all this cap space for? Do we get bonus points for icing a lineup that's a almost 10 million (staal, wolski, avery, zucc, sauer all out) below the cap!?

I was such a supporter of Tortorella but my god, there seems to be no method to his madness. Just pure random heat of the moment balogna.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Stepan can play LW with BR & Gabby, but if we can find a true top line LW we can have Step Ctr the 2nd line with Call & Dubi, put Ani with Feds & Prust, and let Boyle ctr Rupp.

Better no?

I think we gotta try WW there.

10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
err, Sather is the one sending players up and down, not Torts.
Not really. On paper, he is, but you really think Sather demoted Zuccarello after last nights game? After playing him 7 mins with Rupp and Christensen, this move has Tortorella written all over it.

Old
10-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
That's my point right there, not only is the center depth a lot weaker, but the 4th line is absolutely useless.
If Tortorella is going to continue to shorten the bench every night and stick to giving 3 lines the majority of the ice time, all we need the 4th line to do is bang and crash for 5 or 6 minutes a game and wear down the opposing D.

I'm not enamored with Stepan on the wing, but whatever works I guess.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Tortorella is going to continue to shorten the bench every night and stick to giving 3 lines the majority of the ice time, all we need the 4th line to do is bang and crash for 5 or 6 minutes a game and wear down the opposing D.

And with the shortened bench I see nothing wrong with having Richards, Anisimov and Boyle down the middle.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Correct! Which is why I have no idea why Sather insists on giving 4th liners 1-2 mil every single summer.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

We don't have much of a choice right now really. Until WW is healthy at least.

Stepan looked good on the LW with them so let him have at it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:

I'm worried though that with the lineup as presented in this thread that the 4th line will get absolutely no playing time at all. Over the course of the year that will really put a burden on the top 3 lines. At least now having Boyle and Prust on the 4th line, Torts shortens his bench towards the end of games, but Boyle and Prust still get plenty of playing time.

It's not that I don't think that lineup is feasible I just don't think it's the best use of all of our forwards with the group we currently have.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
He definitely looked great there last night. I am just concerned that he will not develop as a Center.
He's a hockey player. People are so married to positions.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
He's a hockey player. People are so married to positions.
But-but he's a right handed player on the left wing!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
I was vehemently against this experiment whenever it was brought up as a possibility in the many line combo threads this offseason, but I have to say that I've been proven wrong (which I rarely ever say, so you guys better appreciate this ). Stepan was awesome there, his intelligence and skill shone through, especially on that backhand, no look pass that sprung Gaborik in the second period. That's the type of pass that Richards makes...I think playing with Richards will do wonders for Stepan's development. Not worried about his centerman game at all, he is much too intelligent a player to simply "forget" how to play his natural position.

10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I was vehemently against this experiment whenever it was brought up as a possibility in the many line combo threads this offseason, but I have to say that I've been proven wrong (which I rarely ever say, so you guys better appreciate this ). Stepan was awesome there, his intelligence and skill shone through, especially on that backhand, no look pass that sprung Gaborik in the second period. That's the type of pass that Richards makes...I think playing with Richards will do wonders for Stepan's development. Not worried about his centerman game at all, he is much too intelligent a player to simply "forget" how to play his natural position.
Aha! So you're the one. Im the one who first suggested this on here btw, so if it really does continue to work out, you're welcome.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
when Wolski is healthy I don't like Stepan at LW.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I like him there too.

Regarding Zuccarello, if Tortorella plays him 7 minutes with Rupp and Christensen WHILE WOLSK IS OUT INJURED, then what kind of chance does Zuccarello really have to even try to prove anything? This is another typical Tortorella move. Play the small offensive guy with two scrubs for 7 minutes and then after you lose, send him down. Just like Avery playing well in preseason and then being sent down. Just like Erixon being sent down only to be called back up and flown back and forth to Europe. Four flights total for Erixon. What a great coach. The guy is a mess. Its embarrassing to consistently be outcoached by AHL level putzes like jack capuano.

I'm sure Stepan will score two and look great on the top line only to be broken up by the next game. You all know the lunacy thats coming. When we finally fire Tortorella in January/February, watch this team come out firing on all cylinders if were healthy.
Yea if the isles win upwards of 30 games then all 30 coaches deserve to be fired and if you lose to the isles more than once this year you should be fired twice for losing to an ahl scrub coach like jack!!!! never mind the fact that the isles just beat Guy and the TB lightning clearly it's just the rangers sucking and thats it.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Yea if the isles win upwards of 30 games then all 30 coaches deserve to be fired and if you lose to the isles more than once this year you should be fired twice for losing to an ahl scrub coach like jack!!!! never mind the fact that the isles just beat Guy and the TB lightning clearly it's just the rangers sucking and thats it.
Way to nitpick one sentence out of an entire post that you quoted. The isles beating the lightning doesn't necessarily mean that guy Boucher was outcoached. In last nights case, Tortorella was outcoached by a guy who i don't hold in very high esteem. I said the same thing when Bruce Foodreau outcoached torts. And my point was that Tortorella is consistently outcoached during games; not that the isles should never win games so thanks for the thought-provoking and productive contribution to the thread.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Aha! So you're the one. Im the one who first suggested this on here btw, so if it really does continue to work out, you're welcome.
Yeah, I remember chewing you out for even suggesting it...well, I'm glad I was wrong. Kudos.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I don't see how this line of thinking works because he SHOULD be a center. Just because Dubinsky is our only semi-decent top 6 real LWer doesn't mean we shouldn't get one and eventually let Stepan play where he should be.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't see how this line of thinking works because he SHOULD be a center. Just because Dubinsky is our only semi-decent top 6 real LWer doesn't mean we shouldn't get one and eventually let Stepan play where he should be.
What means this "SHOULD?"

If Stepan scores 35 goals and 65 points this year as a LW, should he still play third line center getting 8-10 even strength minutes per game with whatever jumble of crap like Newbury, Christensen, Rupp, John Mitchell, etc Tortorella decides to play him with?

Stepan at LW gives him more ice-time and if he works there, why are you complaining? If it doesn't work, he won't be there. What's the problem? You'd take away a great fit at 1LW to have a better 3C? ...

Old
10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What means this "SHOULD?"

If Stepan scores 35 goals and 65 points this year as a LW, should he still play third line center getting 8-10 even strength minutes per game with whatever jumble of crap like Newbury, Christensen, Rupp, John Mitchell, etc Tortorella decides to play him with?

Stepan at LW gives him more ice-time and if he works there, why are you complaining? If it doesn't work, he won't be there. What's the problem? You'd take away a great fit at 1LW to have a better 3C? ...
No, it's sort of similar to what happened with the Flyers. They had great center depth and had natural top 6 centers playing wing. However, we don't have the center depth they had. Right now it's Richards-Arty-Boyle-X. Which is not very deep past our top 6 offensively.

If Stepan works there, great. He's a very good hockey player. BUT, if you get a top 6 LWer like we desperately need, you let that very good young hockey player bring offense to another line.

This is assuming we get him actual line mates for the third line.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No, it's sort of similar to what happened with the Flyers. They had great center depth and had natural top 6 centers playing wing. However, we don't have the center depth they had. Right now it's Richards-Arty-Boyle-X. Which is not very deep past our top 6 offensively.

If Stepan works there, great. He's a very good hockey player. BUT, if you get a top 6 LWer like we desperately need, you let that very good young hockey player bring offense to another line.

This is assuming we get him actual line mates for the third line.
Understood, but at what point do you draw the line?

"If we get a better RW, we can have Gaborik on the 3rd line with Stepan!"

Can't we just let them play and assess it in 15-20 games from now?

If it works, it works and then I don't know why on earth you'd become so enamored with the third line centre position ( especially when we have options such as a guy named Brian Boyle who scored 21 goals last year ) that you'd want to take a part a perfectly good first line just to make the bottom half of your lineup more "offensive."

Let's see what happens.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Understood, but at what point do you draw the line?

"If we get a better RW, we can have Gaborik on the 3rd line with Stepan!"

Can't we just let them play and assess it in 15-20 games from now?

If it works, it works and then I don't know why on earth you'd become so enamored with the third line centre position ( especially when we have options such as a guy named Brian Boyle who scored 21 goals last year ) that you'd want to take a part a perfectly good first line just to make the bottom half of your lineup more "offensive."

Let's see what happens.

Because that's good depth. Boyle is a good bottom 6 player- but Stepan is a good top 6 player. Listen, i'd be very happy if he fits there this season. But we have a roster weakness at LW, and i'd rather us have our top 6 center helping our bottom 6 offensively (even if it's Arty, and Steps takes 2nd line duties) then signing some sub-par because Kris Newbury can't cut it full time.

If they rip it up, i'll be very happy about it. I'm not saying it's a horrendous idea. I just think having Stepan as a center after signing a top 6 LW would help the team more than signing some scrub to take the position.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
I thought for a young player that this kid really stepped up to the plate and delivered tonight! I even thought that he was our best player on that line tonight. He was creative, very physical, and very good in his own end. Will Torts break them up after the loss?
I hope not. Stepan was easily our best player.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote