HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Weber sits & learns to be patient

Old
10-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Weber sits & learns to be patient

Quote:
Mike Weber waited his turn last season, then became a fixture on the Buffalo Sabres' defense. Now he's back waiting again. It will be much tougher for him to get into the lineup this time.

Weber has become the odd-man out on Buffalo's beefed-up blueline corps and has yet to see the ice this season. It was particularly frustrating for him be in the press box Saturday because he is a Pittsburgh native, and he sat out again as the Sabres met the Pittsburgh Penguins in Consol Energy Center.
Quote:
Injuries and the spotty play from the likes of Craig Rivet, Shaone Morrisonn and Chris Butler gave Weber a regular chance last year and he was plus-13 in 58 games with career highs of four goals and 17 points. He played three games prior to Thanksgiving and finally became a regular for keeps the day after the turkey was served.

This year, however, is a different situation. Veterans Robyn Regehr and Christian Ehrhoff have been added and Marc-Andre Gragnani earned the last of the six defense slots largely because he plays a key role on the top power-play unit.
Quote:
"No one wants to do the extra skating," he said. "We're an extremely talented group in here from the back end all the way up to our forwards. Not too many players get an opportunity to play on a team like this one. I'm very grateful to be a part of it. But in the same breath, I want to help on the ice."

There were no real issues with Weber's play in training camp. Gragnani didn't beat him out by outplaying him. Somebody has to sit and the special teams play tipped the scales in Gragnani's favor for now.

"I'm not a flashy player that will put up big numbers," Weber said. "I'm a guy who puts in the work in the corners, makes a good first pass out of the zone. I do the little things, blocking shots, whatever. It's tough. I like to say that when you don't notice me, I'm doing my job. I'm trusting in everyone right now and waiting for my turn."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle595634.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:57 AM
OpethianSabre20

God-willing, he'll be playing on Tuesday. Gragnani has been mediocre at best and really hasn't helped the PP all that much.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Great attitude

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Great attitude
Agreed. Cody Franson, take notes.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Kc232
Hi

I know it sucks for Weber, but it feels SO nice having some nice depth at D. Even Morrisonn is serviceable when the inevitable happens.

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Evgeni Giroux

I think he should play against montreal

anyone else think that sekera looks really good?

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:43 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
God-willing, he'll be playing on Tuesday. Gragnani has been mediocre at best and really hasn't helped the PP all that much.
Disagree pretty strongly with this. A lot of it is the Ehrhoff effect but I thought on the whole this season the PP has looked fantastic.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:52 AM
FearRipSimonick

I'd like to see Gragnani open it up and take some more shots. He was much more decisive with the puck last year because he was typically the only D-man QBing our power play. Now he has Ehrhoff to pair with and I think he just wanted to keep setting Ehrhoff up over and over, especially at home against Carolina. Not gonna work in the long run if we want to keep PKs honest. If he can relax and let his game and instincts take over, I think he'll be fine.

If not, Weber will always be there to make us a tougher team to score on. I would not be surprised to see Weber in the lineup for games against teams like Philly, Boston, etc. when we need that physical boost. He's a good guy to have in your own zone and it's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt and opens the door for him. Good problem to have for sure.

FearRipSimonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
this season the PP has looked fantastic.
Carolina agrees.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:19 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Disagree pretty strongly with this. A lot of it is the Ehrhoff effect but I thought on the whole this season the PP has looked fantastic.
The PP looks alot better, however I still see alot of room for improvement..

Great attitude Weber, its only a matter of time before you get another chance and I sure as hell hope you don't dissappoint..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
Carolina agrees.
Some of it was Gragnani. Some of it was Vanek.

10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Great attitude
GREAT attitude. Gotta love it.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Some of it was Gragnani. Some of it was Vanek.
Oh, I know. But HNG making that blanket statement, I figured I'd follow.

But, I can see where it would be construed as an attack on JUST Grags. Which we know those PP...issues weren't all on him.

Back on topic, it's indeed great to see.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:04 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I disagree.

The following was part of my post in another thread.

Our PP is also getting massively overrated on this board. We've had one strong game on the PP against the Ducks to open the season (2g/4 tries). Since then we had an ok game against the Kings (1/4) and a brutal one against the Canes (0/6) giving up 2 shorties. If you throw in the Pens game we've been 1/11 since the Ducks. I can't believe some posters actually listed the PP as a positive after the Canes game because they felt it looked "dangerous". We have almost as many goals against (2g) on the PP as we do goals scored (3g).

My thoughts on Grags and why he should come out

It would be one thing if Grags was tearing it up on the PP and was the key force behind its production. But he has zero PP points and teams are wising up to the fact that he doesn't shoot. PKers are starting to back off Grags and cheat towards Ehrhoff making it a little harder for Ehrhoff to get his shot through

With as little ES ice time as Grags gets (He is averaging less than 12min a game) I'll be shocked if he stays in for the Habs. Its obvious Ruff has little faith in him at ES. If Weber played with Sekera we would have a solid 3rd pair that could get decent ES minutes (15-ish a night) and keep Ehrhoff's minutes at a more reasonable 18min at ES which is what he averaged last season. There is no need to ride him at 19:30 a night at ES like we are right now. Hell last night Ehrhoff played 21:53 at ES since there were so few PPs for either team.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Agreed - while I like Gragnani's mobility on the PP, it isn't enough of an asset to offset his mediocre defensive play and tendency to get muscled off the puck in his own end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972sabres View Post
anyone else think that sekera looks really good?
Sekera seems to be thriving with less of the spotlight on him in the 3rd pairing IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearRipSimonis View Post
I'd like to see Gragnani open it up and take some more shots. He was much more decisive with the puck last year because he was typically the only D-man QBing our power play. Now he has Ehrhoff to pair with and I think he just wanted to keep setting Ehrhoff up over and over, especially at home against Carolina.
With good reason - Ehrhoff clearly has a dominating shot so it's obvious that the Sabres want the other pointman to set him up more often than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

It would be one thing if Grags was tearing it up on the PP and was the key force behind its production. But he has zero PP points and teams are wising up to the fact that he doesn't shoot. PKers are starting to back off Grags and cheat towards Ehrhoff making it a little harder for Ehrhoff to get his shot through

With as little ES ice time as Grags gets (He is averaging less than 12min a game) I'll be shocked if he stays in for the Habs. Its obvious Ruff has little faith in him at ES. If Weber played with Sekera we would have a solid 3 pair that could get decent minutes (15-ish a night) and keep Ehrhoff's mintues at a more reasonable 18min at ES which is what he averaged last season. There is no need to ride him at 19:30 a night at ES like we are right now.
Excellent points, jj - I think the majority of us thought in the offseason that a Weber-Sekera pairing offered a lot more balance and versatility. Gragnani has been elusive in avoiding forechecking penalty killers but they clearly don't fear his shot and probably see him in a pass-first mindset (much like Connolly was known for). It's also been somewhat surprising that Ruff is loading up the ice time, not on Myers or Regehr as we may have predicted but on Ehrhoff. While Ehrhoff may handle the extra minutes effortlessly like Campbell used to, it's not a good use of time when he's been average at ES situations.

Similar to how Ruff wanted to get Enroth quickly into the mix, I suspect that he won't want Weber to rust away too long before inserting him into the lineup. I don't know if it will happen Tuesday but I have a feeling that we'll see Weber play before the end of the Florida trip, if for no other reason than Ruff's desire to keep things fresh and reward Weber's positive attitude in being ready.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
It will be much tougher for him to get into the lineup this time.
Tell that to MAG.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Weber's style of play and attitude make me want to see him in the line up. I think that it's the right call for him to be the #7 right now.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Weber's style of play and attitude make me want to see him in the line up. I think that it's the right call for him to be the #7 right now.
Why?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
I'd like to see Gragnani open it up and take some more shots. He was much more decisive with the puck last year because he was typically the only D-man QBing our power play. Now he has Ehrhoff to pair with and I think he just wanted to keep setting Ehrhoff up over and over, especially at home against Carolina. Not gonna work in the long run if we want to keep PKs honest. If he can relax and let his game and instincts take over, I think he'll be fine.

If not, Weber will always be there to make us a tougher team to score on. I would not be surprised to see Weber in the lineup for games against teams like Philly, Boston, etc. when we need that physical boost. He's a good guy to have in your own zone and it's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt and opens the door for him. Good problem to have for sure.
I agree, which is why I was surprised that Weber wasn't in the line-up against Anaheim to start the sesaon where their top forwards are very big, very talented guys.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

MAG is probably our best option as the second D on the point with Hoff, he's pretty fluid and can move the puck when he is comfortable. It seems to me when there is pressure applied, he sort of falls apart.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

But he wasn't shooting it last year either. It was evident by the end of the World's just how little he would elect to shoot.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

They're using Grags to move the puck from side to side on the PP. It's clearly Lindy's new idea to make our PP more effective, and as long as it's working, he probably won't take Grags off, unless he thinks someone else can play that role (Ennis, Leino, Roy?).

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
They're using Grags to move the puck from side to side on the PP. It's clearly Lindy's new idea to make our PP more effective, and as long as it's working, he probably won't take Grags off, unless he thinks someone else can play that role (Ennis, Leino, Roy?).
I guess we can expect Weber then, since it isn't working.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I disagree.

The following was part of my post in another thread.

Our PP is also getting massively overrated on this board. We've had one strong game on the PP against the Ducks to open the season (2g/4 tries). Since then we had an ok game against the Kings (1/4) and a brutal one against the Canes (0/6) giving up 2 shorties. If you throw in the Pens game we've been 1/11 since the Ducks. I can't believe some posters actually listed the PP as a positive after the Canes game because they felt it looked "dangerous". We have almost as many goals against (2g) on the PP as we do goals scored (3g).

With as little ES ice time as Grags gets (He is averaging less than 12min a game) I'll be shocked if he stays in for the Habs. Its obvious Ruff has little faith in him at ES. If Weber played with Sekera we would have a solid 3rd pair that could get decent ES minutes (15-ish a night) and keep Ehrhoff's minutes at a more reasonable 18min at ES which is what he averaged last season. There is no need to ride him at 19:30 a night at ES like we are right now. Hell last night Ehrhoff played 21:53 at ES since there were so few PPs for either team.
Agreed.

... And not much to add, pretty much spot on IMO.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I posted this on another board, basically...

MAG hasn't impressed at ES or on the PP. Even The Buffalo News pointed out how he's been fumbling the puck around, which I noticed myself. I have high hopes for him, but I'd much rather see Weber out there. He proved himself the entire time after he got regular minutes last season. If MAG isn't producing on the PP, Weber needs to play and be a younger, mini-Regehr.

In two seasons, MAG will take Leopold's spot and Weber will take Regehr's. Hopefully by then McNabb and/or Pysyk will be ready.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote