HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

Old
10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Wonder if Molson was upset with losing in the first round last year?

Or wonder if he was saying that the Habs took the Bruins to Game 7 last year and that really means something?
you're speculating, I'm stating a fact.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
With an objectively better team we've squeaked into the POs in both seasons under JM while with the worser, less experienced team we were on a clear upward trajectory under Carbo (until the last year).

Just my opinion, but the Carbo hate is way overblown.
Nice revisionist history, carbo was a clown who hasn't gotten behind a nhl bench since. The guy only got a chance here because of his good buddy gainey who loved to treat the team like his personal clubhouse.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
This is a no brainer.

Arno del Curto, current head coach of Hockey Club Davos in Davos Switzerland.

Curto led HC Davos to Swiss National League A championships in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. The guy knows how to win.

The Habs would also have to get rid of Gauthier as he has already demonstrated that his player preference for a team is not in line with the present day NHL. And he carries with him a track record of not much success.

Patrick Roy for GM. He understands hockey, and the Quebec Remparts have been Division Champions for the last three years in a row with Roy as GM.

del Curto and Roy. The Canadiens would win a Cup within two years with this tandem.

Is Molson concerned with winning? Or making money most important with hockey being a secondary concern?
Cheers for the mention of Arno del Curto, interesting guy. Reading an article from 2009(only one I could find), something stood out however. Especially since you mentioned Roy as the GM.

He would pick his own assistants, he would send a six-million dollar player to the minors if he doesn’t buy into the system, he would ask the board and the owner to mind their own business and the GM would only do the trades that Del Curto has signed off on. And yes, he would run the draft too.

I'm not sure Roy would appreciate being told how to do his job by the guy he hired.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The title is misleading at first glance. You should probably change it, looks like "Martin gets fired"

Was going to say what a reactionary GM if he did. Why would Martin get fired? You can tell the D is pretty flimsy but by half way through the season guys like Diaz Weber and Emelin will be a lot better. It's hard to ice 3 rookies + Subban who takes his share of risks divided up by essentially Gorges and Gill. Gill has his share of issues, Gorges has been amazing imo and has been our saving grace.

Add Markov into the mix and then you get 3 vets 1 sophomore and 2 rookies, suddenly it looks a lot better than 2 vets 1 sophomore 3 rookies I still consider Weber a rookie in all honesty. He hasn't proven to me what Subban has proven. He's getting better as time goes on though, they all seem to be.

Then up front we have Cammy temporarily injured and Price on the back end is going to be fine. I just can't see how he'd get fired right now. I also can't see how we'd do so bad. We were a shootout away from getting that extra point. 1-2-1 isn't so bad. We win next game and we're 2-2-1 and suddenly it doesn't look so bad.

In the even that we went like 5-10-3 and injuries weren't too bad I think we would start to hear rumblings. Might even take 7-15-4 before they do something though. I see us being more like 12-11-3 by that many games played. Really doubt Martin gets fired. Team just needs more time to click, they were clicking last night but unfortunately we lost the game, it happens. No need for a "What if Martin gets fired" thread yet.

Kirk Muller or Carbonneau will get hired if that happens. You can bet your ass it will. Carb I never liked but I think with this kind of talent he may actually be the right coach for us now, nobody else is available.

"Injuries" is not an excuse. Every team has players who gets injured, it's how you deal with it. Look at the Pens last year, without Crosby, Malkin and Staal. They were still pretty successful.

As for Carbo, been there, done that. He was one of the worst coaches to coach here.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
"Injuries" is not an excuse. Every team has players who gets injured, it's how you deal with it. Look at the Pens last year, without Crosby, Malkin and Staal. They were still pretty successful.

As for Carbo, been there, done that. He was one of the worst coaches to coach here.
True but we're 1-2-1 so not like it's an excuse to panic just yet and say that we are handling it poorly. We've barely played any games yet.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
True but we're 1-2-1 so not like it's an excuse to panic just yet and say that we are handling it poorly. We've barely played any games yet.
I'm not panicking. I'm asking a question. "IF" we continue to play poorly, does Marting get fired? And, who replaces him?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nice revisionist history, carbo was a clown who hasn't gotten behind a nhl bench since. The guy only got a chance here because of his good buddy gainey who loved to treat the team like his personal clubhouse.
You do realize Carbo refused to move from Montreal right? He has major hip problems and doesn't want to move for the sake of moving, he has money here too it's not like he's a career coach.

Gainey did anything but treat the team like his "personal clubhouse", Holmgren is the kind of GM who deserves that reputation. Gainey was a conservative GM who brought the club to the cusp of respectability and left it in the hands of someone who he figured would follow through, and so far, has.

You forget how pathetic the Habs were 7 years ago. Think Oilers, but with another language.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Guy Boucher... no wait...

Kirk Muller... no wait...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
HCH

Quote:
This is a no brainer.

Arno del Curto, current head coach of Hockey Club Davos in Davos Switzerland.

Curto led HC Davos to Swiss National League A championships in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. The guy knows how to win.

The Habs would also have to get rid of Gauthier as he has already demonstrated that his player preference for a team is not in line with the present day NHL. And he carries with him a track record of not much success.

Patrick Roy for GM. He understands hockey, and the Quebec Remparts have been Division Champions for the last three years in a row with Roy as GM.

del Curto and Roy. The Canadiens would win a Cup within two years with this tandem.

Is Molson concerned with winning? Or making money most important with hockey being a secondary concern?
Yep, that's the guy I was thinking of.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
guest1467

I want someone again with a good amount of NHL coaching experience.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Same.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
dcyhabs

I want someone who won't burn bridges with players and run people out of town. A coach who will do the best with the best players available and let the GM make personnel decisions.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
I want someone who won't burn bridges with players and run people out of town. A coach who will do the best with the best players available and let the GM make personnel decisions.
I don't know of a single coach who doesn't get accused of this from their respective fan bases.

I'm not a big martin fan myself, so what I'm about to say should really be seen as a side note than a defense, but we write on a message board with other teams...read those boards and you'll see that all the things we complain about in our coach is almost universally applied to every single coach in this league according to the fans, regardless of whether the team is good or bad.

I feel like the problem with this evolution in media is that increasingly people are able to share their opinion on a broader basis and the more they do so, the more they think their opinions are better than the ones of experts. Does that mean we shouldn't post and share? No. I just think people take their opinions way too far and way too seriously.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Pierre Mcguire
Now wouldn't that be fun...................
I hope Martin gets fired just to see how glad the people will finally be on this board, followed by an announcement that McGuire has been hired as an head coach.

The amount of whining and irony would absolutely be epic.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
MXD

Too bad there ain't that much candidates in the Q at this point. The best is probably Benoit Groulx, but he isn't there yet.

On the other hand, Alain Vigneault might eventually get fired....

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Stop lamenting Boucher. Tampa Bay hasn't been flourishing under him despite having a few superstars.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Stop lamenting Boucher. Tampa Bay hasn't been flourishing under him despite having a few superstars.
It's funny because Boucher gets praised for getting his team in the ECF in his first year of coaching with a better team, while Martin with an inferior team does the same but gets no credit for it.

And I'm not even a big Martin fan, but I'm able to give credit where credit is due.

Old
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Call me one of the minority but I think if the Randys/Pearn are good systems coaches, Carbonneau would be good to return on an interm basis. Muller after he has some experience.

There is literally no one out there worthy of consideration.
So why change? Martin's replacement could be worse. At any rate it would mean the team's having to learn a new system. I'm more interested in getting new players.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Krnage

Clement Jodoin

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
habs101

Marc Crawford, we need a coach that has tasted the cup in the last 10 years!!!! That's just my opinion.

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:01 PM
number72

Don Cherry of course

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I agree, the Habs management reminds me of the Soviet Government in the eighties. A bunch of increasingly aged, increasingly deluded and incompetent leaders with an obsolete and dated perspective.

- could describe the Japanese government right now!

We make the playoffs likely nothing changes, but if not then a Montreal Spring could result in a new GM & Coach. Roy's name would figure for sure, especially if "passion" is the buzzword for our new direction.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Don't waste time searching !

Patrick Roy is the NEXT one !
God I hope this never happens. It would be a huge disaster for us.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:27 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why? To me that is the kind of archaic thinking that represents everything wrong about how the league and teams are run

And who would that list include.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Anyone think Andrei Kostitsyn could be a great coach ?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote