Complete and Final Medal Count

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2004, 06:59 PM
rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
And Population has nothing to do with.India and China have billions of people,but they didn't get the most medals.
Population and resources is a pretty good mix. Look out for India, and especially China, in Beijing as they get more money to spend on sports. China will be scary in 2008..

Old
08-31-2004, 07:00 PM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
What, you beat england in soccer again or what?
Nope, we just got more gold than you guys! And its just a question of time before we beat England again. Count on it!

Old
08-31-2004, 07:03 PM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
Besides, we're still waiting for all the results of the doping tests.
American athletes using doping? Are you kidding me? This must be a joke!!

Old
08-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
The population arguement is stupid since there are limits on people the US can send. The US could probably send 20 100m sprinters tot he games, but I'm pretty sure 3 is all they are allowed to send, ditto on the 200.
Correct, in all honesty a country may have the 12 best athletes in the World for one event, but only a certain few of them are allowed to be sent, I believe the number depends on the event.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-31-2004, 08:23 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers
American athletes using doping? Are you kidding me? This must be a joke!!
they test atheletes before and after the competition.

If somebody doped it would of been made public by now. Unless there is another designer undetectable drug that half the world is using. then it will take 2-3 years.

Old
09-01-2004, 02:39 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I think that equating success with total population is a slippery slope. Countries like Australia do well despite having a relatively small population. Why? It's because they have a system in place, and sufficient resources and dedication to do well in the sports they know they can compete in. That's the formula for success IMO.
Oh yes absolutely, Australia, but they are an exception to the rule. Australia is pre-eminently a "sport country". They invest an huge amount of money in sport.

Quote:
And Population has nothing to do with.India and China have billions of people,but they didn't get the most medals.
LOL

Do you really compare countries like India and China with the VS ? I think people over there are more worried about other things than sport.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 09-01-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old
09-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I didnt realise Russia now has half the population of the States. I had thought they would be disappointed but they were pretty close and in light of a much smaller population, that's impressive. Heck, Japan is almost as big

China (like Japan and Korea) have come on enormously since they started spending money - no doubt in my mind they will top the medal table in Beijing ... many of their competitors were sent here purely to gain experience to peak for Beijing and they left older guys at home.

Old
09-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Oh and if you had a 'United States' of Europe or a EU it would comprehensively outperform America..

Combine just the four top countries - Germany, France, Italy and GB and you get -

44 gold 45 silver 54 bronze - Total 143 medals (pop 240 mill)

USA 35 Gold 39 Silver 29 Bronze 103 Medals

Old
09-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Kaiped Krusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Oh and if you had a 'United States' of Europe or a EU it would comprehensively outperform America..

Combine just the four top countries - Germany, France, Italy and GB and you get -

It's an invalid argument. You can't just tally medals like that because if the EU sent one team, some of the individual athletes that medaled for those individual countries would have been squeezed out of competition. It would have definitely affected team medals since the EU could only have one team in each sport, and thus one opportunity to medal, instead of the 25 potential teams they can send right now.

Edit: Take women's water polo, for example. Italy and Greece finished gold and silver. U.S. took the bronze and Australia finished fourth. If the EU combines, they get just one medal instead of two and the U.S. gets silver and Australia bronze.

It would be really interesting if the U.S. competed as 50 different teams. I bet they would have won more than 103 medals total, that's for sure.

Last edited by Kaiped Krusader: 09-01-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old
09-02-2004, 02:53 PM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
[QUOTE=DanielBriere48]Yes,because obviously the only way we could dominate the medal count was to go to Iraq.That's obviously the answer

Obviously you didn't understand my post .

Old
09-03-2004, 01:55 AM
clefty
Retrovertigo

A little late, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Population doesn't mean squat, or at least it shouldn't, it's the quality of athletes.

The U.S. sent the most athletes to the games, now if you want a stat you could use that one.
The argument stems from the fact that larger countries have a larger pool of athletes to choose from. I think its very dismissive to say that population means "squat", there is clearly a correllation between population and the most medals won. Developed nations with the higher populations have the resources to invest into producing a larger number of quality athletes avaiable for Olympic selection than a lot of other nations.

The Games aren't about medals anyway.

Old
09-03-2004, 02:15 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater

Obviously you didn't understand my post .

Your right I didn't.What resource is he stealing?Other countries athletic skill? :lol

Old
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Your right I didn't.What resource is he stealing?Other countries athletic skill? :lol
Well he sure did steal your brain :lol .

Old
09-03-2004, 02:01 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Well he sure did steal your brain :lol .

You didn't answer the question.What did Bush steal from other countries that increased our medal count?

Old
09-03-2004, 02:08 PM
ObeySteve

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
So, pound-for-pound....Ausralia is most successful in the Olympics, and India is the least successful.

Old
09-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
It's an invalid argument. You can't just tally medals like that because if the EU sent one team, some of the individual athletes that medaled for those individual countries would have been squeezed out of competition. It would have definitely affected team medals since the EU could only have one team in each sport, and thus one opportunity to medal, instead of the 25 potential teams they can send right now.
I think it mostly concerns team sports, relays and some other sports, so it would bring less medals total but could bring more quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex

ex-USSR 47 Golds 48 Silvers 65 Bronze 160 total. Though in reality it would be less medals because of boxing, wrestling and some other sports that allow just 1 athlete from 1 country.

Last edited by Slay: 09-04-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Closed Thread