HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik - Beast Mode

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 03:39 PM
  #76
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,086
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
What I never really thought about is this: who was his best center in Minnesota? Pierre Marc Bouchard? Meh. And here? Even worse. :

Prospal is definitely miles better than bouchard. I don't know where you thought he was 'even worse'

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
  #77
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The guy's on TSN, when Gabby made the shot I think you guys are talking about, said something like "and THAT one had vapor trails behind it."

That's the Gaborik we need.
Yep, that was the one. It was a rocket. Had it been on net, it would have popped Lu's bottle into the stands.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
  #78
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I will never be a fan of this tin man unless he magically learns to play with dexterity.
He may be the most dextrous player we have. Not quite sure what you mean here.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
  #79
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Prospal is definitely miles better than bouchard. I don't know where you thought he was 'even worse'
I wouldn't call Prospal miles better than Bouchard at all. In fact I think PMB is a better all around player than Prospal.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
  #80
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Yep, that was the one. It was a rocket. Had it been on net, it would have popped Lu's bottle into the stands.
if it went in the bottle woulda exploded into a million pieces lol. that shot was crazy hard.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
  #81
lJuicel
Registered User
 
lJuicel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Not to sound to McGuire-ish here, but he looks way more engaged, not floating around out there, throwing a couple hits and his shot as per is a laser beam.

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
  #82
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Not for nothing but...2 of his best friends died this summer in a tragic way no less....I think that would affect him more than his relationship ending. but whatever, he's taking the tragedy in stride so good for him.
True, but perhaps the relationship problems could've been a recurring thing during the season that kept his mind off the game.

Though I think his shoulder is the better explanation. His shot was weak last year.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:08 AM
  #83
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Put your helmets on folks, Machinehead is about to have a positive thought

Check this out. Gaborik is a multi-time 40 goal scorer and if healthy () has the skill to drop 50. We all know this. What I never really thought about is this: who was his best center in Minnesota? Pierre Marc Bouchard? Meh. And here? Even worse. Gaborik has been able to put up impressive goal scoring numbers while never having a top center. The career high for a Gaborik center is 50 assists, 63 points by Bouchard in '08. That nowhere even close to Richards production. So what I'm getting it is, we've never seen Gaborik flank a real bonafide center before, and the results could be scary...in a good way
I come in peace (mostly as a slovak fan of Gabby).

Hope Gabby will have a career year and hit 50 goals plateau finally what means attack on Richards Trophy too

It's really great that chemistry with Richards works well, just one question: dont you think Gabby is type of player (like Bure) who would profit more from defensman with great first pass (i.e. Visnovsky) than from playmaking center?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
  #84
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I come in peace (mostly as a slovak fan of Gabby).

Hope Gabby will have a career year and hit 50 goals plateau finally what means attack on Richards Trophy too

It's really great that chemistry with Richards works well, just one question: dont you think Gabby is type of player (like Bure) who would profit more from defensman with great first pass (i.e. Visnovsky) than from playmaking center?
Only if its a homerun pass that sets him up for a breakaway. Otherwise I want the puck on his stick as little as possible. His job is to get open and pull the trigger, not try to carve through three players and take an off balance shot. If DZ sees Gaborik open up ice then by all means spring him, but if not, give it to Richards and let him start something.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
  #85
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
Gaborik looks a lot better. Had to be an injury.

Also, he has the puck on his stick a lot less than last year, which is good. He needs to be given the puck and shoot, not carry the puck and try to do things himself.

He also should've had a breakaway.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
  #86
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,206
vCash: 116
he played awesome last night. Old Gaborik is back

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
  #87
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I come in peace (mostly as a slovak fan of Gabby).

Hope Gabby will have a career year and hit 50 goals plateau finally what means attack on Richards Trophy too

It's really great that chemistry with Richards works well, just one question: dont you think Gabby is type of player (like Bure) who would profit more from defensman with great first pass (i.e. Visnovsky) than from playmaking center?
His first year here, MDZ was in that role and had a good rookie season. I can't tell you how many times MDZ would make a beautiful stretch pass and spring Gaborik for a breakaway. Too bad MDZ regressed last year. It'd be nice to see that again.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
  #88
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
I don't think this is really rocket science at all. When he came back from the shoulder injury last year he was never the same. It was so obvious watching him. Haters wanted to say he was floating all the time and whatever else, but it was clear as day that he was never 100% after coming back from that shoulder injury.

Funny how he'd look so different after an entire offseason to rest it, huh?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
  #89
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
The majority of him looking so good definitely has to do with health imo.

Playing with Richards helps a lot too because Richards is just such a great player in a lot of areas of the game.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
  #90
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Last year when he returned from the injury to me the most noticeable thing aside from his obviously timid play and fear of engaging physically, was the fact that his shot had absolutely zero velocity. And when I say zero velocity I mean in Gaborik terms. There was just nothing there. What have we seen this season? The guy is shooting rockets, and unlike last year where he looked tentative because he knew his shot wasn't there and he was trying to pass more, this season he's like a man possessed trying to get that shot off. Almost like he's trying to make up for all the shots he didn't take last year. I love it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
  #91
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I don't think this is really rocket science at all. When he came back from the shoulder injury last year he was never the same. It was so obvious watching him. Haters wanted to say he was floating all the time and whatever else, but it was clear as day that he was never 100% after coming back from that shoulder injury.

Funny how he'd look so different after an entire offseason to rest it, huh?
Funny how both Gaborik and Tortorella said to the media he was healthy when the season concluded and they had no reason to hide anything.... Must have been a big conspiracy to hide his injury so Gabby could go compete in the World Champsionships like he did huh? Notice how the coaching staff criticized his skating in games last season, that he wasn't moving his feet enough on the ice? Must have been from that bum shoulder?

I am a Gaborik fan myself but these generalizations that anyone who criticized Gaborik's play last year is a "hater" is a joke. Discrediting the fresh start this season has afforded him and having a true #1 Center on his line and saying the only reason he looks improved is because he's "healthy", it's quite short-sighted.


Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:21 AM
  #92
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Funny how both Gaborik and Tortorella said to the media he was healthy when the season concluded.... Must have been a big conspiracy to hide his injury huh? Notice how the coaching staff criticized his skating in games last season, that he wasn't moving his feet enough on the ice? Must have been from that bum shoulder huh? Why did Gaborik go compete in the World Championships if he was hurt?

I am a Gaborik fan myself but these generalizations that anyone who criticized Gaborik's play last year is a "hater" is a joke. Discrediting the fresh start this season has afforded him and having a true #1 Center on his line and saying the only reason he looks improved is because he's "healthy", it's quite short-sighted.
It's not because the guy has been a legitimate goal scorer his entire career and never had a true number one center. So I'm not sure you really have a point there.

I know you're incredibly naive and unwilling to think critically about things based on the numerous conversations we've had about other things in the past. But there is a big difference between being injured and being hurt. Gaborik should draw your praise, not your ire for being out there last season when he clearly wasn't 100%. What player with any character would ever come out and blame their play on being hurt? Gaborik was healthy enough to play, sure. But anyone with eyes could tell he wasn't the same player as the season before. I wouldn't expect Torts to say anything differently either. Torts has never been an excuse guy (when it involves someone other than himself).

And the WC thing again, really? Gabby was healthy enough to play because he wasn't going to cause further injury to it when he finally came back. I'm guessing you've never injured anything before because that in no way means that it's 100% and you feel like you can do everything you used to be able to do before you were hurt. The WC are a huge deal to these players that represent their countries. No one cares if someone like you thinks they shouldn't play. It's not your decision to make.

If you really watched all last season after he returned, his first season here, and now what we've seen this year, and can't logically come to the conclusion that the shoulder was a huge issue, I can't help you there.

So yeah, you're either extremely naive or a hater. Not sure what you want me to say.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
  #93
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,613
vCash: 500
Whoever said that Gaborik's poor play last year may be attributed to girlfriend problems may be on to something.

Some of the Czech and Slovak papers reported that Gaborik broke up with his girlfriend of 7 years last March. That could have been an unwelcome distraction for him. He did look unfocused and disengaged last year.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
  #94
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
It's not because the guy has been a legitimate goal scorer his entire career and never had a true number one center. So I'm not sure you really have a point there.

I know you're incredibly naive and unwilling to think critically about things based on the numerous conversations we've had about other things in the past. But there is a big difference between being injured and being hurt. Gaborik should draw your praise, not your ire for being out there last season when he clearly wasn't 100%. What player with any character would ever come out and blame their play on being hurt? Gaborik was healthy enough to play, sure. But anyone with eyes could tell he wasn't the same player as the season before. I wouldn't expect Torts to say anything differently either. Torts has never been an excuse guy (when it involves someone other than himself).

And the WC thing again, really? Gabby was healthy enough to play because he wasn't going to cause further injury to it when he finally came back. I'm guessing you've never injured anything before because that in no way means that it's 100% and you feel like you can do everything you used to be able to do before you were hurt. The WC are a huge deal to these players that represent their countries. No one cares if someone like you thinks they shouldn't play. It's not your decision to make.

If you really watched all last season after he returned, his first season here, and now what we've seen this year, and can't logically come to the conclusion that the shoulder was a huge issue, I can't help you there.

So yeah, you're either extremely naive or a hater. Not sure what you want me to say.
So lets get this straight:

-Gaborik lied to the media when he said he was healthy and not playing through an injury at the end of the season
-Gaborik's questionable skating in games last season was the result of his shoulder
-The coaching staff knowingly criticized the player's skating even though their medical trainer would have fully informed them of Gaborik's health and status

I guess you extend Sean Avery status to Gaborik now too huh? Player is never allowed to be criticized for anything... Oh and Gaborik never needed a #1 Center before right? So why did we just go out and commit 9 years to Richards if we didn't need a #1 Center for him? Oh and congratulations, your inability to have civil discussions with people has earned you a spot on my ignore list. I won't be able to view your reply. Have fun!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
  #95
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Funny how both Gaborik and Tortorella said to the media he was healthy when the season concluded and they had no reason to hide anything.... Must have been a big conspiracy to hide his injury so Gabby could go compete in the World Champsionships like he did huh? Notice how the coaching staff criticized his skating in games last season, that he wasn't moving his feet enough on the ice? Must have been from that bum shoulder?

I am a Gaborik fan myself but these generalizations that anyone who criticized Gaborik's play last year is a "hater" is a joke. Discrediting the fresh start this season has afforded him and having a true #1 Center on his line and saying the only reason he looks improved is because he's "healthy", it's quite short-sighted.
I and many of my friends agree with you 100%. Nobody is saying he wasn't injured, it just appeared to a lot of us that he was mailing it in for the majority of last season. He looks a lot more motivated and engaged this year and my only hope is that he continues to do so as well as stay healthy all year. He's the only legitimate goal scorer we have and thus we can not afford to have him become disinterested like last season.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
  #96
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I and many of my friends agree with you 100%. Nobody is saying he wasn't injured, it just appeared to a lot of us that he was mailing it in for the majority of last season. He looks a lot more motivated and engaged this year and my only hope is that he continues to do so as well as stay healthy all year. He's the only legitimate goal scorer we have and thus we can not afford to have him become disinterested like last season.
Yup... I had no doubt that recovering from a shoulder injury left him tentative in the corners and hurt his confidence in his shot, but it was no excuse for him struggling to skate hard and not playing with enough intensity in a good portion of the games last season... Every 4 or 5 games he would have a strong game and get a ton of shots off and look like a different player, then revert back....

This season you can see him doing some of the little things that he wasn't doing with any regularity last season... He's thinking the game much better and getting himself into positions to make plays....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
  #97
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So lets get this straight:

-Gaborik lied to the media when he said he was healthy and not playing through an injury at the end of the season
-Gaborik's questionable skating in games last season was the result of his shoulder
-The coaching staff knowingly criticized the player's skating even though their medical trainer would have fully informed them of Gaborik's health and status

I guess you extend Sean Avery status to Gaborik now too huh? Player is never allowed to be criticized for anything... Oh and Gaborik never needed a #1 Center before right? So why did we just go out and commit 9 years to Richards if we didn't need a #1 Center for him? Oh and congratulations, your inability to have civil discussions with people has earned you a spot on my ignore list. I won't be able to view your reply. Have fun!
I'm with you pal. I can't stomach these hf posters/rangers fans who get their panties all bunched up when you criticize a player.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
  #98
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
It's not because the guy has been a legitimate goal scorer his entire career and never had a true number one center. So I'm not sure you really have a point there.

I know you're incredibly naive and unwilling to think critically about things based on the numerous conversations we've had about other things in the past. But there is a big difference between being injured and being hurt. Gaborik should draw your praise, not your ire for being out there last season when he clearly wasn't 100%. What player with any character would ever come out and blame their play on being hurt? Gaborik was healthy enough to play, sure. But anyone with eyes could tell he wasn't the same player as the season before. I wouldn't expect Torts to say anything differently either. Torts has never been an excuse guy (when it involves someone other than himself).

And the WC thing again, really? Gabby was healthy enough to play because he wasn't going to cause further injury to it when he finally came back. I'm guessing you've never injured anything before because that in no way means that it's 100% and you feel like you can do everything you used to be able to do before you were hurt. The WC are a huge deal to these players that represent their countries. No one cares if someone like you thinks they shouldn't play. It's not your decision to make.

If you really watched all last season after he returned, his first season here, and now what we've seen this year, and can't logically come to the conclusion that the shoulder was a huge issue, I can't help you there.

So yeah, you're either extremely naive or a hater. Not sure what you want me to say.
I have seen you bring this up a few times now (bold), I don't recall Torts making an excuse for himself. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I was wondering if you had any basis for that?

Also, I specifically remember Torts saying Rozsival, Prospal, Drury and a few other players were hurt last season alone, and using that to justify why they may have been getting limited ice time or not playing well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
  #99
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Whoever said that Gaborik's poor play last year may be attributed to girlfriend problems may be on to something.

Some of the Czech and Slovak papers reported that Gaborik broke up with his girlfriend of 7 years last March. That could have been an unwelcome distraction for him. He did look unfocused and disengaged last year.
That's putting it mildly. Let's hope dear old Marian has his girlfriend issues resolved so that he stays focused and engaged(so far, so good) all year for the 7.5 mil he's getting paid.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
  #100
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Funny how both Gaborik and Tortorella said to the media he was healthy when the season concluded and they had no reason to hide anything.... Must have been a big conspiracy to hide his injury so Gabby could go compete in the World Champsionships like he did huh? Notice how the coaching staff criticized his skating in games last season, that he wasn't moving his feet enough on the ice? Must have been from that bum shoulder?

I am a Gaborik fan myself but these generalizations that anyone who criticized Gaborik's play last year is a "hater" is a joke. Discrediting the fresh start this season has afforded him and having a true #1 Center on his line and saying the only reason he looks improved is because he's "healthy", it's quite short-sighted.
the velocity jsut wasnt there on his shots last year...the goalies would save his shots like they were a scott gomez limp noodler right to their gloves....2 years ago when he took a shot the goalie either had to make a "skin of his neck" type save, or the shot was just wide. same like this year....last year everything was into the chest with no velocity whatsoever on it. you can SEE the velocity now....in that...well you cant really track the shot off of his stick...you see gaborik load and release, then you see the puck 1/2 a second later either in the back of the net, or hitting the glass...but you cant seem to track the shot because its just so fast....last year i had no problems tracking his shot...and when you can easily track a shot from TV, you know the goalie isnt going to have much trouble doing so.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.