HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ot Nedved Signs With Phoenix

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Ot Nedved Signs With Phoenix

i really think nedved always gave his all when he played here. i hope he plays well with the yotes

Old
08-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i really think nedved always gave his all when he played here. i hope he plays well with the yotes

Yotes made out good today. They got Nedved, Saprykin, and Gauthier for Langkow. They also added Morris at the deadline and Brett Hull. Now that is adding some vet experience to a young roster. Coyotes could be a power in the West whenever there is hockey again.

Old
08-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Edge

Well I dont think they are quite there yet, but they could be within the next few years. I still think they have some holes to fill.

Old
08-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Well Phoenix is pretty close to L.A....looks like Mrs. Nedved got her way.

Old
08-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Edge

Well yeah so is San Jose, Anaheim and Mexico City

By plane it's a good hour and a half by car it's a good 6 or 7 hours.

Old
08-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Well yeah so is San Jose, Anaheim and Mexico City

By plane it's a good hour and a half by car it's a good 6 or 7 hours.
True.

In the end, I cant blame the guy, Id let that woman lead me around like a little doggie too.

Old
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
BwayBshirt

i like phoenix more and more indeed but...

who's going to coach this team and it's newly found egos?

rick bowness? would i really trust him to run the ship? would any of you do it? (i hear from the coyotes ppl he is considered the frontrunner until proven otherwise)

rick tocchet? that's about the only other option i see out there, but i hear he might just be an assistant.

until i see who the coach of this team is i will not automatically vault them up to playoffs just yet...but i am impressed with their moves.

Old
08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11
i like phoenix more and more indeed but...

who's going to coach this team and it's newly found egos?

rick bowness? would i really trust him to run the ship? would any of you do it? (i hear from the coyotes ppl he is considered the frontrunner until proven otherwise)

rick tocchet? that's about the only other option i see out there, but i hear he might just be an assistant.

until i see who the coach of this team is i will not automatically vault them up to playoffs just yet...but i am impressed with their moves.

An excellent point..........I forgot they fired Francis. Did they name a coach?? If not who is the front runner for the job?

Old
08-26-2004, 09:02 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Well I dont think they are quite there yet, but they could be within the next few years. I still think they have some holes to fill.
They need a better goalie and a solid coach.

Old
08-27-2004, 01:55 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
They need a better goalie and a solid coach.
Really? That sounds terribly familiar

Old
08-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Fletch

That's a big return for Langkow...

I guess with the loss of Conroy the Flames needed to fill a hole in the middle. I always though Gauthier was a pretty solid defender. The jury's still out on Saprykin, but he did put up decent numbers last season and perhaps is ready to berak-out, but of course that's the wildcard.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:37 PM
barnaby63

Doan-Comrie-Hull
Nagy-Nedved-Johnson
Saprykin-Ricci-Sjostrom
Chimera-Rupp-Nash

Morris-O'Donnell
Mara-Gauthier
Tanabe-Hulse

Brian Boucher
Brent Johnson

Thats a pretty solid lineup, and like I said before if they add a goalie like Osgood or Lalime they could be Cup contenders.

Old
08-27-2004, 02:42 PM
noodlemike

thats an awesome lineup...lets see them try to tank the season now

Old
08-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Fletch

That's not a bad lineup..

but it's not a cup-contending lineup, nor is it awesome.

Comrie's good, but I wouldn't put him up against other top centers in the league. Hull's going to be 40. Doan I like, but I don't even believe he's cracked 30 goals yet.

The second line is nice, with Nedved playing in his more natural role.

Saprykin may be out of place on a checking line and Ricci will be 33 and I see him sliding somewhat.

The defense is OK. Morris is nice, but he's still not that top-flight #1 d-man they'd want him to be. Gauthier's a nice addition and O'Donnell's fine, but he's not that great.

All-in-all, a playoff contending team. Not Stanley Cup contending, and not awesome, in my opinion.

Old
08-27-2004, 03:12 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Comrie's good, but I wouldn't put him up against other top centers in the league. Hull's going to be 40. Doan I like, but I don't even believe he's cracked 30 goals yet.

Saprykin may be out of place on a checking line and Ricci will be 33 and I see him sliding somewhat.

The defense is OK. Morris is nice, but he's still not that top-flight #1 d-man they'd want him to be. Gauthier's a nice addition and O'Donnell's fine, but he's not that great.

All-in-all, a playoff contending team. Not Stanley Cup contending, and not awesome, in my opinion.

You mean like the production Comrie put up against other teams to p centers in Edmonton, around 25-30 goals and 30-40 assists?

Yes Hull will be 40, but he still is producing. He can still put home 20 and have around 30 helpers.

Doan is more than scoring. He brings a physical brand of hockey, good defensive play and is a team leader. On top of that he can score 25-30. Not bad.

Saprykin is not a pure scorer. He isnt a pure defensive player. He brings some offensive production to his hard-nosed play. Not the perfect 3rd liner, but he isnt horrible either.

I agree on Ricci. But he wont be forced to play 2nd line minutes and be an offensive contributor like he was last year in SJ, when he seemed to tire out. He should have a bounce back year.

And on defense, its not just about talent but the system. The talent is def. there(3 above-average offensive-defenseman in Morris-Mara-Tanabe and 3 above-average defensive-defenseman in Gauthier, Hulse and O'Donnell)

Most of all, its not usually the best team that wins championships, its the healtiest. And all that depth for Phoenix surely gives them an advantage over other more talented teams.

Old
08-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Fletch

We shall see...

but I don't know how Tanabe has above-average offensive skills for a defenseman. He's a fine, #5 or #6 defensman, but I don't think much more than that. O'Donnell and Hulse are the types of guys who are at that stage of their careers where the Rangers sign them and they blow. I've always liked Hulse, but thought of him as a solid #6 guy who'll bring toughness, and I think O'Donnell will be over-used and he too is getting on the wrong side of the hill.

Yeah, Doan brings toughness, but that toughness is only as good as the production you get out of it in the end. He's productive enough, but for a top liner, one wouldn't mind seeing him produce a bit more.

I admit to not know much about Sjostrom, except that he's 21, and it would be interesting if that's the line that goes out to face top lines.

Again, playoff contending, yes, which isn't that bad since they were recently lottery contending. But awesome and Cup contending? Even with b-level goaltending suggestions such as Osgood or Lalime (who was a product of a pretty damn good team in front of him), I don't think they get much better than being a playoff contender.

Old
08-27-2004, 03:32 PM
pld459666

According to some flames fans

Quote:
I guess with the loss of Conroy the Flames needed to fill a hole in the middle. I always though Gauthier was a pretty solid defender. The jury's still out on Saprykin, but he did put up decent numbers last season and perhaps is ready to berak-out, but of course that's the wildcard.
they don't feel like that gave up to much, actually some of them are very very happy with the deal.

I like Saprykin and think that the PO's he just had should propell him to a very solid season if there is one.

A speed freak that should do well in a Yotes uni.

Old
08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Levitate

i love this cuz it means there's no way nedved weasels his way back on to the rangers

as for the gauthier trade and all that...i figure calgary sees him as expendable because of phaneuf...i'd be surprised if calgary doesn't give him a lonnnnnnnng look for a roster spot next year at least. they still have a very solid defense without gauthier and if phaneuf is as advertised, then it'll eventually be an upgrade

saprykin always seemed kind of expendable for them and langkow is a pretty good player, so i guess i can see this as a good deal for both teams in the end

Old
08-27-2004, 04:40 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
but I don't know how Tanabe has above-average offensive skills for a defenseman. He's a fine, #5 or #6 defensman, but I don't think much more than that. O'Donnell and Hulse are the types of guys who are at that stage of their careers where the Rangers sign them and they blow. I've always liked Hulse, but thought of him as a solid #6 guy who'll bring toughness, and I think O'Donnell will be over-used and he too is getting on the wrong side of the hill.

Yeah, Doan brings toughness, but that toughness is only as good as the production you get out of it in the end. He's productive enough, but for a top liner, one wouldn't mind seeing him produce a bit more.

I admit to not know much about Sjostrom, except that he's 21, and it would be interesting if that's the line that goes out to face top lines.

Again, playoff contending, yes, which isn't that bad since they were recently lottery contending. But awesome and Cup contending? Even with b-level goaltending suggestions such as Osgood or Lalime (who was a product of a pretty damn good team in front of him), I don't think they get much better than being a playoff contender.

So you have never heard of a defenseman with above-average offensive skills? Riight.

Tanabe is a 5th-6th defenseman, correct. And thats all he will be on the Coyotes. Hulse is a physical 5th-6th defenseman and thats all he will be on the Coyotes. And they still have Matt Spiller and Keith Ballard to take over for Tanabe or Hulse of one of them falters.

So you wouldnt want Doan on our 1st line next year?

Old
08-27-2004, 07:33 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:

sorry but i have to disagree phx's lineup looks excellent a bit over whelming. they are gonna be very competitive and see them becoming a solid team , with the additions of ricci excellent pk'er and defensive fwd, hull provides the offensive talent and some leadership, and nedved just smart move for a second liner at centre and defense well it looks to be very good and solid with the like of vets such as hulse , odonell and gauthier with young talent in mara, tanabe and morris.

phx has built there team very well and congrats to them for using natural youngsters through the system and building right then dding a blend of good solid vets.

Old
08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
So you have never heard of a defenseman with above-average offensive skills? Riight.

Tanabe is a 5th-6th defenseman, correct. And thats all he will be on the Coyotes. Hulse is a physical 5th-6th defenseman and thats all he will be on the Coyotes. And they still have Matt Spiller and Keith Ballard to take over for Tanabe or Hulse of one of them falters.

So you wouldnt want Doan on our 1st line next year?
Tanabe is more than that on Phoenix. Tanabe was actually one of their best defenceman last year I believe. He works hard and will be a top four guy in Phoenix.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I love what the Coyotes have done. The only question is in net. But now, they have the depth up front and on the blueline to compete.

P.S. They won't break up Nagy and Doan. Those two had great chemistry. I also believe Doan played some center ice there.

The line combos should be interesting.

Old
08-28-2004, 04:35 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Tanabe was Phoenix's ATOI leader before his injury. His play was excellent and he really energized the team when he was in the line-up. He is a VERY important part of the defensive corps,

Doan only played center when Amonte was in the desert. There should be no problem "breaking up" Doan and Nagy. Chemistry with their centerman is much more important for those two. Doan and Comrie seemed to have it. I'll go out on a limb and guess that Nedved and Nagy probably will as well. The way I see it:

Hull-Comrie-Doan
Nagy-Nedved-Kolanos
Saprykin-Ricci-Johnson
Nash-Rupp-Cleary

Old
08-28-2004, 07:11 AM
melisa

Doan is a really solid NHL player. He would be great for the Rangers to add. I heard that moron Sather turned down a deal involving Nedved and Doan a year ago. Figures....

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 08-29-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old
08-28-2004, 08:11 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa
Hull is washed up. Tanabe stinks as a defenseman. Period.

Doan is a really solid NHL player. He would be great for the Rangers to add. I heard that moron Sather turned down a deal involving Nedved and Doan a year ago. Figures....
First of all, there was no trade offer involving Nedved for Doan. That makes no sense whatsoever for Phoenix. WHy would they trade their leader, one of the better power forwards in the league for an older, more expensive player? One can only lay so many factual things at Sather's doorstep before wandering off into the land of conjecture and hearsay.
Second of all, I would love for you to explain your statement that Hull is washed up. The last time he scored less than 24 goals was his rookie year with Calgary when he played all of 5 games. '87-88 was his first full season. He scored 26 goals and 50 points. Since then he has had all of 4 seasons when he did not tally at least 30 goals. In his 4 20 goals seasons, only 2 were seasons when he scored under 27 goals. His last 3 seasons, he scored 30 (63 pts.), 37 (76 pts), & 25 (68 pts.)goals respectively. Please explain how this is a guy that is washed up. Period.

Closed Thread