HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long does Gauthier have to win the Cup?

Old
10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Stay on topic or this get's closed, enough of the Gomez bashing in a thread that ask how long does Gauthier have to win the Cup.

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
PG needs to clean up what mess? There isn't any mess aside from the Gomez contract and that hasn't hindered the team from doing anything they didn't want to. It's not like he traded 1st rounds picks year in and year out. In fact he along with Andre Savard cleaned up the mess left by the old management team.

A lot of the good parts of our current team having Gainey's finger print on it. Gorges, Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Cammalleri.

Hell even with the last core he changed the image completely and brought excitement back to Montreal by brining in Kovalev.

Gainey wasn't Godly and I don't think anyone would say that. He brought some respect to the piece of crap he inherited.
I think Gainey did a decent job with what he inherited. But I also think he put the team on an unrealistic path.

His vision of a fast, skilled and exciting team is great in theory but it hasn't really worked out in practice. Gainey's idea was to use speed and skill to draw penalties and then score on the powerplay. This has been ok during the season as the Habs have been near or at the top of the poweplay rankings for the past few years,but come playoff time, the refs tend to put their whistles away so the number of powerplays are fewer.
Also, playoff opponents tend to tighten up their defense making it even harder to score on the PP.
So his vision is flawed (although admirable) in my opinion.

Other teams can take advantage of Montreal physically when the PP isn't working, and when it is working, Montreal has the advantage. But not as much in the playoffs.
I think Gauthier has the same vision as Gainey, and if that's the case then the Habs will be going down this same road as long as he's at the helm.

The 5 year plan seems to be the going rate. If it doesn't work out by then maybe Gaithier will step down a la Gainey and appoint his assistant as GM.

By then the Bruins will have won 3 more cups with Seguin and Hamilton thanks to the Kessel trade and Montreal will be in a perpetual fight for the 8th playoff spot with Toronto.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Aeneas

i thought PG has done a decent job improving the team, he can't control injuries which plagued us last year and this year to start the year, but he can control depth, and i think he's done a decent job, hasn't given up any draft picks ( yet ) and considering the amount of people out right now, 3 dmen, 2 forwards....i agreed with most of the signings in the off season, would have liked to see gorges get longer term, but i doubt we see him leave, it will be interesting as to the numbers and years he gives Price and PK get

all in all i don't see any reason to see PG leave anytime soon, however if our team cannot produce when healthy, mediocrity must be improved upon and he will need to do something, and i think that would be the better time to judge him

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The Montreal Canadiens in general have three years (including this year) to win the cup and here is why:

1) Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Markov and Plekanec will all move on after there contracts expire here, the only players I see staying are Gionta and Cammalleri, I can see Markov in Washington, Gomez retire or play in the minors and Plekanec sign with the highest bidder.

2) In three years, Leblanc, Eller, Beaulieu, Tinordi and hopefully Kristo will all be playing in the NHL or be up and coming NHL prospects at that point with some experience in Montreal, a good mix of young players with veterans that we already have is the perfect ingredient to win.

3) I don't see Carey Price and PK Subban getting long term contracts and if they are not signed long term or for what they are worth, kiss them goodbye in 3 to 5 seasons max and watch them cash in before there prime (27 to 28 years old).

4) Montreal will be without a cup for 20 years come the end of next season, I think management and ownership is impatient at this point and if Geoff Molson cannot make it happen with Gauthier, he will look else where, maybe to one of his good friends whose first name is also Pierre and currently works for NBC.

5) The organization cannot expect fans to keep paying the highest amount in the NHL to watch live games, before you know it, if the Habs do not win, fans will just stop caring and following the team and the main reason is because the current young fan has NEVER seen the Habs win the cup, do you think they care about making the playoffs and losing in the first round? They want to see a cup and if they don't, then they will just become Red Wings, Penguins and Capitals fans.
Well thought out post given where we are at now. Obviously lots can change and probably will in the next three years. It would be nice to have some positive developments like maybe Eller panning out. I don't agree about McGuire though. Don't know much about his relationship with Molson. I would rather see someone who has played for the Habs and has won. Enough with the Montreal Senators. I don't know who, maybe Lemaire, Robinson, Damphousse, others....??

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
I think Gainey did a decent job with what he inherited. But I also think he put the team on an unrealistic path.

His vision of a fast, skilled and exciting team is great in theory but it hasn't really worked out in practice. Gainey's idea was to use speed and skill to draw penalties and then score on the powerplay. This has been ok during the season as the Habs have been near or at the top of the poweplay rankings for the past few years,but come playoff time, the refs tend to put their whistles away so the number of powerplays are fewer.
Also, playoff opponents tend to tighten up their defense making it even harder to score on the PP.
So his vision is flawed (although admirable) in my opinion.

Other teams can take advantage of Montreal physically when the PP isn't working, and when it is working, Montreal has the advantage. But not as much in the playoffs.
I think Gauthier has the same vision as Gainey, and if that's the case then the Habs will be going down this same road as long as he's at the helm.

The 5 year plan seems to be the going rate. If it doesn't work out by then maybe Gaithier will step down a la Gainey and appoint his assistant as GM.

By then the Bruins will have won 3 more cups with Seguin and Hamilton thanks to the Kessel trade and Montreal will be in a perpetual fight for the 8th playoff spot with Toronto.
In Gainey's defense though after the lockout they made it seem like everything was going to be called. They call more stuff now but are even less consistent about calls than pre-lockout. At least pre-lockout they consistently allowed clutching and grabbing, now a days you don't know when or where you're going to get a penalty because the officials are so inconsistent. An amazing example of this is season hockey versus playoff hockey, they basically totally change the game for the last 20ish games of the year (playoffs) and it's all based on this "let them play" mentality. Can you imagine in the MLB playoffs if the officials just decided when they did or didn't want to call a "safe" or "out" properly? How many times do I see offsides not getting called even now... a lot, linesman's fault mind you, but the penalties are the same way. I understand they can't be everywhere at once but I see it all the time where a player is doing a noticeable infraction right in front of the ref with no call and it isn't just our team I see it in other games all the time.

Then playoffs come along and it becomes as if magically penalties don't exist and the teams are apparently playing more disciplined hockey, but we've all seen time and time again teams like Boston and Philadelphia exploiting this inconsistent officiating and basically making other teams their ***** because officials won't grow a pair and do their jobs

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
habitue*

Forever...

Everyone knows that the End of the World in December 2012...

he should be thre next September to start the season. Unless we have a lock out or strike. So enjoy the 2011-12 season.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:35 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
yea the great Mike Komisarek.

I thought my English was bad.

Last edited by CareyClutch: 10-17-2011 at 12:00 PM.
CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewagon77 View Post
First of all Gainey did a horrible job let souray,komisarek,ryder go for free horrible trades like gomez.Gauthier has been abismal trades kostitsy gets back ahl player boyd trades dagostini gets back ahl player palushaj trades lapierre gets back ahl player festerling has hottest goalie halak doesn't even get a 1st round draft pick gets eller then is to gutless to put gomez on waivers to create ice time for eller fans and media in montreal except mediocrity plekanec 5 million 57 points horrible keane got 60 points as 3rd line ginder back in 93 when they won the cup cammalleri 19 goals for 7 million mcphee and carbonneau got 19 goals every year with no powerplay time gtomez 7.5 million 38 points pathetic gionta worst captain in montreal history 46 points for 5 million talk about low expectations.FIRE GAUTIER NOW if molson does not fire gauthier only conclusion is molson is stupidier than he is.
Your post is full of fails of all kinds, it would be absurd to even think of trying to level with you. It would give out something like "Pah pah pah please don't hurt me.. you make my eyes rain.."

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Your post is full of fails of all kinds, it would be absurd to even think of trying to level with you. It would give out something like "Pah pah pah please don't hurt me.. you make my eyes rain.."
I think my favorite part was the ' didn't even get a first round pick' for Halak bit. Guess Eller being drafted at 13th overall is just some other prospect

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
First of all Gainey did a horrible job let souray,komisarek,ryder go for free horrible trades like gomez.Gauthier has been abismal trades kostitsy gets back ahl player boyd trades dagostini gets back ahl player palushaj trades lapierre gets back ahl player festerling has hottest goalie halak doesn't even get a 1st round draft pick gets eller then is to gutless to put gomez on waivers to create ice time for eller fans and media in montreal except mediocrity plekanec 5 million 57 points horrible keane got 60 points as 3rd line ginder back in 93 when they won the cup cammalleri 19 goals for 7 million mcphee and carbonneau got 19 goals every year with no powerplay time gtomez 7.5 million 38 points pathetic gionta worst captain in montreal history 46 points for 5 million talk about low expectations.FIRE GAUTIER NOW if molson does not fire gauthier only conclusion is molson is stupidier than he is.
I guess they don't teach punctuation at Le Match.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
neofury*

I'm not even going to bother responding to that post. I'm on thin ice already

Old
10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
CGG

Quote:
has hottest goalie halak doesn't even get a 1st round draft pick gets eller then is to gutless to put gomez on waivers to create ice time for eller
Lots wrong in that post, but last time I checked, Eller is a first round pick. 13th overall in fact.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think my favorite part was the ' didn't even get a first round pick' for Halak bit. Guess Eller being drafted at 13th overall is just some other prospect
Yeah me too, and the part about Cammy's goal scoring in the regular season being compared to McPhee and Carbonneau..

Old
10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah me too, and the part about Cammy's goal scoring in the regular season being compared to McPhee and Carbonneau..
I love how people like to bash our players production when they were injured. If Cammy ever played a full season here that guy would probably love him though.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Jag68Sid87

Someone mentioned Mike Milbury earlier. How many years would Milbury have gotten in Montreal? I doubt it'd have been 11 years. I realize he probably never would have been hired in the first place, but my point is Montreal is a different animal. I don't think Gauthier gets 11 years here.

Secondly, it is my understanding that Gauthier was based in New York when he was Gainey's assistant. Didn't Gauthier have a big say in landing Gomez? Why was the Gomez debacle all Gainey's fault? Gauthier was a part of the decision.

Just chiming in...this was a great thread to read.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

There's 30 teams in the NHL. I guess it's accurate to say many of these teams won't win a cup in the next 30 years.

Kinda irrealist to give that kind of a deadline when you hire a GM, especially considering the cards PG was dealt to start with.

If I were a competent hockey manager offered a GM job but with a deadline of say 5 years to win a cup I probably wouldn't be too interested in it. Instead of building a team the right way, I would have to rush things trying to assemble a half-decent team that would probably end up failing miserably like Burke did. (not saying Burke is a competent hockey manager btw)

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
habitue*

You should all know that winning a Stanley Cup in Montreal is NOT necessary...

As long as Molson fill up his arena and sell beer and hot dogs at ridiculous price, that's more than enough.

The suckers gonna keep coming and watching.

Toronto Maple leafs are a prime example that you don't need to win to make cash and be considered the most valuable NHL franchise.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:54 PM
tinyzombies

I don't think the bar for Gauthier is to win the Cup before this core is done. That's unrealistic.

In fact, he's already putting the next core together. If they can rise to become the top liners on this team within the next two years, and our top liners can become secondary scoring - then we have a shot.

Otherwise, Price is gonna have to steal one for us.

I'm hoping that the Cole signing was all about luring Eric Staal here when he becomes UFA. Then we'd REALLY have a shot. Imagine Pacioretty-Staal-Cole on a line?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I've watched 25+ years of hockey and it doesn't make me an expert. Damn, Yvon friggin Pedneault has watched hockey for over 50 years and he still doesn't have a clue.

Watching hockey is one thing, having the brains to analyze it is another.

But anyway, I'll 'level' with ya... you mmmm-m mmm-make me happy!!

Old
10-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He hasn't been outplayed by either of them. Gomez has been playing quite good. It looks like the only one who makes judgements based on stat sheets is you since because you don't see points you don't think he's playing well.
Are we paying him 7.5 millions per year to "look good" or to create AND bury opportunities to put up points on the board?

Fans are not that stupid and patient with a player who obviously doesn't give a damn.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:59 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

LOL Google Chrome just tried to translate the page to English because of that weird post

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
You should all know that winning a Stanley Cup in Montreal is NOT necessary...

As long as Molson fill up his arena and sell beer and hot dogs at ridiculous price, that's more than enough.

The suckers gonna keep coming and watching.

Toronto Maple leafs are a prime example that you don't need to win to make cash and be considered the most valuable NHL franchise.
This x 1000.

If Molson really wanted to win the cup, he would employ somebody else as GM, somebody more aggressive. There's no way Gauthier will move big enough to acquire players who will help us win the cup.

Huge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
This x 1000.

If Molson really wanted to win the cup, he would employ somebody else as GM, somebody more aggressive. There's no way Gauthier will move big enough to acquire players who will help us win the cup.
Indeed. I think it's become evident that the Molsons do not want to win the Cup. Bad for business, after all. Deep playoff runs where the earnings are massive; far more merchandise being sold; more advertising revenue. It's bad business sense to win the Cup.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
According to plenty on this board, Gauthier's time was up February 8th 2010.
So how are you liking our talent level on this team? Do we have all the pieces needed to win a Cup this year? Do we have the right DMen on this team to win a Cup this year?

At what point in time does Gauthier assume responsibility for this team? And, at what point in time do you look at his off-season acquisitions this year and say WTF was he thinking?

Or do some just pour another glass of KoolAid that the "petite féminin homme" keeps offering the thirsty fans in Montreal?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I don't think the bar for Gauthier is to win the Cup before this core is done. That's unrealistic.

In fact, he's already putting the next core together. If they can rise to become the top liners on this team within the next two years, and our top liners can become secondary scoring - then we have a shot.

Otherwise, Price is gonna have to steal one for us.

I'm hoping that the Cole signing was all about luring Eric Staal here when he becomes UFA. Then we'd REALLY have a shot. Imagine Pacioretty-Staal-Cole on a line?
There are definetly some prospects with a great upside. Whether there are enough who pan out is the big question. Price is a great anchor. Love to see Eric Staal play for us. Then I would share your optimism.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote