HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How long does Gauthier have to win the Cup?

Old
10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
So how are you liking our talent level on this team? Do we have all the pieces needed to win a Cup this year? Do we have the right DMen on this team to win a Cup this year?

At what point in time does Gauthier assume responsibility for this team? And, at what point in time do you look at his off-season acquisitions this year and say WTF was he thinking?

Or do some just pour another glass of KoolAid that the "petite féminin homme" keeps offering the thirsty fans in Montreal?
Were we supposed to have all the key pieces to win a cup this year?? Was it THE year for you buddy? The Caps thought they had all those pieces for how many years now? How about the Flyers?..The Canucks? The Sharks?

It took Chiarelli 5 years to win a cup, and before that, his team had a rather average record, both in the regular season and POs, considering the expectations.

Ken Holland inherited a Stanley Cup winning team, a new Dynasty, and after winning it for the first time as a GM, it took him 4 years to re-win it, and then another 6years. We're talking about the latest dynasty, not a PO bubble team, and Holland is viewed as the best GM in the game. So, why should Gauthier be given a year or two only when he gets nothing more than a PO bubble team according to fans?

I wasn't aware we were supposed to win the cup this year. If you thought that's where we were, then your evaluation skills are very weak. Battling for the division was a more realistic expectation. When should we expect a cup? Let's wait to see how this season pans out, see how our youngsters progress, see how our veterans play, then we re-adjust.
This summer's acquisition? I have no issues with Cole. He was brought in to bring more physicality on the top 6, he's done that. He's 13th in the NHL forwards for Hits. He was also brought in to give our offense more depth, moving AK down on the 3rd line to play versus weaker opponents, helping our ES scoring. As of yesterday, we were tied 6th for ES production, which, if can be maintained, would be a huge improvement over last season.
So, I have no beef with that. No beef with re-signing Markov over Wiz. That was risky, but a risk well worth taking. The one problem I have is re-signing Gill over Hammer. I would have gone after different players on defense, but he also gave himself 27M of free space to play with next summer (prior to a cap raise).

All in all, in a cap world, I believe it takes 3 years for a GM to really make his mark. I feel after 4years, you should pretty much have the team you wanted to build. But at the same time, I also don't like to put a time frame because so many things need to be factored in.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The product being peddled by the Molson boys is hope. When the hope tree stops bearing fruit the GM is in trouble.
Probably the most accurate description of our MO.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Were we supposed to have all the key pieces to win a cup this year?? Was it THE year for you buddy? The Caps thought they had all those pieces for how many years now? How about the Flyers?..The Canucks? The Sharks?

It took Chiarelli 5 years to win a cup, and before that, his team had a rather average record, both in the regular season and POs, considering the expectations.

Ken Holland inherited a Stanley Cup winning team, a new Dynasty, and after winning it for the first time as a GM, it took him 4 years to re-win it, and then another 6years. We're talking about the latest dynasty, not a PO bubble team, and Holland is viewed as the best GM in the game. So, why should Gauthier be given a year or two only when he gets nothing more than a PO bubble team according to fans?

I wasn't aware we were supposed to win the cup this year. If you thought that's where we were, then your evaluation skills are very weak. Battling for the division was a more realistic expectation. When should we expect a cup? Let's wait to see how this season pans out, see how our youngsters progress, see how our veterans play, then we re-adjust.
This summer's acquisition? I have no issues with Cole. He was brought in to bring more physicality on the top 6, he's done that. He's 13th in the NHL forwards for Hits. He was also brought in to give our offense more depth, moving AK down on the 3rd line to play versus weaker opponents, helping our ES scoring. As of yesterday, we were tied 6th for ES production, which, if can be maintained, would be a huge improvement over last season.
So, I have no beef with that. No beef with re-signing Markov over Wiz. That was risky, but a risk well worth taking. The one problem I have is re-signing Gill over Hammer. I would have gone after different players on defense, but he also gave himself 27M of free space to play with next summer (prior to a cap raise).

All in all, in a cap world, I believe it takes 3 years for a GM to really make his mark. I feel after 4years, you should pretty much have the team you wanted to build. But at the same time, I also don't like to put a time frame because so many things need to be factored in.
Well give me a time frame then. When can we again expect a Cup in Montreal? Has 18 years been long enough?

And to the point I highlighted. Since we are not competing for a Cup, wouldnt it be prudent to send our top notch players (Cammy, Markov----hey........wait a minute.....)out on Injured Reserve for the year so that we can save them for the year that we are finally going to compete for a Cup?

Go Habs Go (2015) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Well give me a time frame then. When can we again expect a Cup in Montreal? Has 18 years been long enough?
I wasn't aware that Gauthier has been our GM for 18 years now...
Was he here when we won the cup too? Maybe that buys him a couple more years..no?

Quote:
And to the point I highlighted. Since we are not competing for a Cup, wouldnt it be prudent to send our top notch players (Price, Cammy, Markov----hey........wait a minute.....)out on Injured Reserve for the year so that we can save them for the year that we are finally going to compete for a Cup?
Yup, 28 other teams should do that too. We should dress a bunch of fighters and just watch fights instead. If opponents don't want to fight, we should make our own players fight each other. We will surely have a top 5 pick like that!

Quote:
Go Habs Go (2015) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You bet.
Go Habs Go 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, etc...No?
You seem to be more of the Boo Habs Boo 2012 bunch.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Gauthier has been our GM for 18 years now...
Was he here when we won the cup too? Maybe that buys him a couple more years..no?

Yup, 28 other teams should do that too. We should dress a bunch of fighters and just watch fights instead. If opponents don't want to fight, we should make our own players fight each other. We will surely have a top 5 pick like that!

You bet.
Go Habs Go 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, etc...No?
You seem to be more of the Boo Habs Boo 2012 bunch.
Kriss, I will be sitting in front of the TV screen cheering on my Habs for every game this year like I have been doing for the longest.

Just having some fun with you for saying that this was not a Cup year for the Habs.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Kriss, I will be sitting in front of the TV screen cheering on my Habs for every game this year like I have been doing for the longest.

Just having some fun with you for saying that this was not a Cup year for the Habs.
Stop lying. You'll be criticizing Martin's every move and swearing at Gauthier any time one of our players gets shoved.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Indeed. I think it's become evident that the Molsons do not want to win the Cup. Bad for business, after all. Deep playoff runs where the earnings are massive; far more merchandise being sold; more advertising revenue. It's bad business sense to win the Cup.
anddd boom goes the dynamite

lol i think everyone should understand that the owners are after money and a successful team will always be making more money than if they were losing

if we start spending cap floor just to ice a team, than i would be pissed of

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Stop lying. You'll be criticizing Martin's every move and swearing at Gauthier any time one of our players gets shoved.
Lying is a strong word.

I always pull for the Habs to win. I am a fan of the players and the Montreal Canadiens. Martin and Gauthier are not the Canadiens. They are simply two inept guys who unfortunately are in control of the team. I have the ability to pull for my team without drinking KoolAid. I prefer beer.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Lying is a strong word.

I always pull for the Habs to win. I am a fan of the players and the Montreal Canadiens. Martin and Gauthier are not the Canadiens. They are simply two inept guys who unfortunately are in control of the team. I have the ability to pull for my team without drinking KoolAid. I prefer beer.
The Molson's product ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Lying is a strong word.

If you can call that stuff you drink in the US actual beer

Anyways I'll gladly drink "KoolAid" as it doesn't affect my judgment nearly as much as beer clearly affects yours.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
There's 30 teams in the NHL. I guess it's accurate to say many of these teams won't win a cup in the next 30 years.

Kinda irrealist to give that kind of a deadline when you hire a GM, especially considering the cards PG was dealt to start with.

If I were a competent hockey manager offered a GM job but with a deadline of say 5 years to win a cup I probably wouldn't be too interested in it. Instead of building a team the right way, I would have to rush things trying to assemble a half-decent team that would probably end up failing miserably like Burke did. (not saying Burke is a competent hockey manager btw)
15 teams don't count. Crap markets and don't spend near the cap. They might get lucky with draft picks though. I'd say Tampa and Pittsburgh were in that group, and Tampa won 1 cup because of drafting. I HATE the bolts at that time because of it.

Pitts won through both high drafting and good coaching/management. I hate them second. But they earned it to some degree.

But both teams have developed into well run clubs since, and I don't see another team winning soon based purely on tanking, though Edmonton worries me.

That leaves 15 serious clubs in the NHL. Seems 1 cup every 15 years is the minimum to expect, and more if you put a good development and drafting system together, and good coaching /management.

See Detroit Red Wings. There is no excuse for the Habs not to aspire to that level. None.

Any less than a cup a decade, and with their history, fans, money, and knowledge I contend that the Habs are ****ing up. And I'm right to think so.

All of us should expect no less. They're 8 years overdue. Better get a move on.

Last edited by bsl: 10-18-2011 at 10:01 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Anyways I'll gladly drink "KoolAid" as it doesn't affect my judgment nearly as much as beer clearly affects yours.
Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor, used in the United States and Canada, that means to become an unquestioning believer in some ideology, or to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly without critical examination. The phrase can sometimes have a negative connotation, or can be used ironically. The basis of the term is a reference to the November 1978 Jonestown Massacre, where members of the Peoples Temple were said to have committed suicide by drinking a "Kool-Aid"-like drink laced with cyanide.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Cute reply. Let me ask you this question then.

Did Gauthier address our needs to become a Cup contender during this last offseason?

And to say that this is not supposed to be a Cup contending team this year is nothing more than a cop out. And if you dont believe that, go to your boss today and tell him that this year will be a sub-par year for you and then give him a reason. See how that goes over.

Coors Light on the weekends. I am boycotting Molson until he gets rid of Gauthier and Martin.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Did Gauthier address our needs to become a Cup contender during this last offseason?

And to say that this is not supposed to be a Cup contending team this year is nothing more than a cop out. And if you dont believe that, go to your boss today and tell him that this year will be a sub-par year for you and then give him a reason. See how that goes over.

Coors Light on the weekends. I am boycotting Molson until he gets rid of Gauthier and Martin.
Coors owns Molson?!?!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Teufelsdreck

Every time I walk on Ste.-Cathérine and see that the Forum has become a shopping center I feel a little sad but the identity remains. I don't think fans of le Canadien will start rooting for another team because too many years have passed since the last Cup parade. I moved to the US for better career opportunities many years ago--specifically, to the New York metropolitan area, where there are three teams to choose from--yet my affection remains with the Habs and always will. I've seen GMs and coaches come and go since Frank Selke and Toe Blake, and Gauthier and Martin are far from the worst.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
bsl

Quote:
Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor, used in the United States and Canada, that means to become an unquestioning believer in some ideology, or to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly without critical examination. The phrase can sometimes have a negative connotation, or can be used ironically. The basis of the term is a reference to the November 1978 Jonestown Massacre, where members of the Peoples Temple were said to have committed suicide by drinking a "Kool-Aid"-like drink laced with cyanide.
Hee Hee. Very well done.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

There's something called ''progression''. Are the Panthers supposed to be a contending team? Are the rest of the NHL teams too?
We finished 8th two years ago, 6th last year. This despite major injuries. Some changes were made, but now key injuries are still present. We will see where this leads us. If by next season, we aren't solidified, and still rocking around the 6th-8th position, then you can start wondering. This is the 2nd year for Gauthier. I don't know anybody that inherited a PO bubble team and was expected to turn them into contenders 2years into it, in a cap world.

Quote:

http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Index.aspx

You just proved you know as much about beer as you do about hockey.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
There's something called ''progression''. Are the Panthers supposed to be a contending team? Are the rest of the NHL teams too?
We finished 8th two years ago, 6th last year. This despite major injuries. Some changes were made, but now key injuries are still present. We will see where this leads us. If by next season, we aren't solidified, and still rocking around the 6th-8th position, then you can start wondering. This is the 2nd year for Gauthier. I don't know anybody that inherited a PO bubble team and was expected to turn them into contenders 2years into it, in a cap world.

Coors is a beer that has already moved along the urinary tract.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

He'll probably tell you it was to send Coors a message about the Molsons, but I don't buy it.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Coors owns Molson?!?!
Molson Coors is a publicly traded company that has a dual class ownership structure with equal representation from Molson and Coors families. No company owns the other.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Oh I know what it means I just don't care.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
neofury*

Sorry but "go drink your koolaid" etc are just responses people use when they haven't got a single thoughtful response left to say, so they fall back on their koolaid statement.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

And while beer doesn't kill you per se, many people have died because of the drunks who lack the faculties to drive a motorized vehicule properly.

Ain't that much better then drinking spiked Kool-aid if you ask me.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:

Boom roasted.

SouthernHab, you just got served.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Boom roasted.

SouthernHab, you just got served.