HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Injury Talk: Gill out Saturday/Markov not back before California trip

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Blunden is as good a fighter as those two RIGHT NOW, maybe they will be better in 1-2 years though...but we are talking NOW...
that's exactly what im saying.

i have hopes that in the future one of them will turn out into a habs version of thornton - unlikely, but one can hope...

Old
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Blunden is as good a fighter as those two RIGHT NOW, maybe they will be better in 1-2 years though...but we are talking NOW...
No he isn't. Blunden is a terrible fighter - not sure why people think he is a fighter. He isn't.

Old
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
No he isn't. Blunden is a terrible fighter - not sure why people think he is a fighter. He isn't.
I agree, he's worse than Garth Murray.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I agree, he's worse than Garth Murray.
He can't win a fight.... but does he has the hair?

Old
10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Jigger77

Fighting or not I'd rather Blunden and Nokia than Palushaj and Engvist right now. That extra size on the bottom pairing lines really showed the last 3 games.

It's a little odd to hear a TSN analyst say "Habs are using their size effectively".

I like how JM has that size balanced on all four lines right now. Really fun to watch and have that extra dimension to the team.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
...and Schultz and Conboy are good fighters by NHL standards?

It's not just about winning fights...a lot of fighting is teammates knowing you have their back. I'd rather see guys like Blunden fighting than Subban or Pacioretty.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
TomPlex

Renaud Lavoie tweeted today that Markov skated this morning. Great news!

Old
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Renaud Lavoie tweeted today that Markov skated this morning. Great news!
With the team?

Old
10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
ccgg

Quote:
...and Schultz and Conboy are good fighters by NHL standards?

It's not just about winning fights...a lot of fighting is teammates knowing you have their back. I'd rather see guys like Blunden fighting than Subban or Pacioretty.
You can laugh but Ian Schultz is a good fighter. I don't want him with the Habs but still.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
With the team?
Don't push your luck!

Old
10-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
He can't win a fight.... but does he has the hair?
How could anyone?

Old
10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
that's exactly what im saying.

i have hopes that in the future one of them will turn out into a habs version of thornton - unlikely, but one can hope...
Conboy looks like a terrible fighter...he will never be a Thornton.

I'd compare him more to a guy like Tanner Glass...a guy who finishes his checks, occasionally annoyes, and will drop the gloves without much luck.

Schultz looks like a better fighter, but he's at least a few seasons away.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Don't push your luck!
damn... lol

Can't wait though... He's a huge enough upgrade on the point, and a true pleasure to watch. I bet this team goes on a roll when he gets back.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Gill can handle himself in a fight? Since when?
Gill does what Pronger does. He just towers over guys, talks smack, and noone ever really wants a piece of him (even if he's not much of a fighter). He's also willing to get his nose in there and break things up. That's fine from him, and he proved it when he did a great job of keeping Subban (and Price) safe when he was on the ice last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
You can laugh but Ian Schultz is a good fighter. I don't want him with the Habs but still.
Agreed about Schultz. He's not ready yet, but Schultz is going to end up a decent heavyweight who can play the game.

Conboy right now has no technique, but Schultz has great technique, good size for a heavyweight, and great strength.

I'm not sure who the comparable is, but I'm confident Schultz can end up a solid 4th line grinder who could play for anyone, and can hold his own with the big boys. Not the super heavys like Chara and John Scott obviously, but the Thorntons, Lucics, and Carkners of the world which is what you're looking for...

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-31-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: merge
Old
10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
With the team?
The team has the day off, same as Sunday, they are back on the ice tomorrow.

Also Schultz was taken to the hospital yesterday after a knee on knee hit, I haven't heard how bad but he's likely going to be added to the injury list.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The team has the day off, same as Sunday, they are back on the ice tomorrow.

Also Schultz was taken to the hospital yesterday after a knee on knee hit, I haven't heard how bad but he's likely going to be added to the injury list.
Thanks for the info.

Thats a damn shame about Schultz though. I have hopes that he'll be a solid RW'er in Montreal some day.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Subban76

Quote:
damn... lol

Can't wait though... He's a huge enough upgrade on the point, and a true pleasure to watch. I bet this team goes on a roll when he gets back.
On is RDS blog, Renaud Lavoie also adds that he was told that it will take 40 games before we see the real Markov back. That's the usual calendar for returning to top shape after such surgeries.

Just want people to not expect miracles from him right away.

As long as he's top shape for playoffs

Old
10-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
On is RDS blog, Renaud Lavoie also adds that he was told that it will take 40 games before we see the real Markov back. That's the usual calendar for returning to top shape after such surgeries.

Just want people to not expect miracles from him right away.

As long as he's top shape for playoffs
Totally agree with that... That's why Emelin/Markov tandem might make some sense when he first gets back... Markov wont be playing top line minutes, and will have the time to fit Emelin in to the NHL game.

However the quality of a Markov will be visible IMO. His smart passing plays, and his abilities will improve this team instantly IMO even if it is only limited. Markov untaps our potential for scoring, and will make the PP WAY more deadly.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Totally agree with that... That's why Emelin/Markov tandem might make some sense when he first gets back... Markov wont be playing top line minutes, and will have the time to fit Emelin in to the NHL game.

However the quality of a Markov will be visible IMO. His smart passing plays, and his abilities will improve this team instantly IMO even if it is only limited. Markov untaps our potential for scoring, and will make the PP WAY more deadly.
Is it a bad idea for him to do a 2 week conditioning stint in Hamilton? He'd have to agree to it, and no waivers would come in to play, but I worry that jumping into NHL game action might not be wise.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

Actually if i were Martin, I'd have Markov with the best overall defender for that transition period, like Gorges for instance. Emelin would make more sense with him when he's back in top form.

This is what i would have at the beginning:

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Diaz-Emelin

I would love to see the PK play well without Gill so that Martin could rest him every once in awhile. He'd played much better last game, but he'd probably be more effective if he got more games off+less ice time.

p.s. i can never remember who plays on which side, so i apologize if i got that wrong.

And for those who think Spacek will sit instead of Diaz, you're in for some serious disappointment. Not only is Martin a veteran's coach, but it also appears as though Spacek is back to his pre-Habs form. replacing would be a big mistake imo.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Is it a bad idea for him to do a 2 week conditioning stint in Hamilton? He'd have to agree to it, and no waivers would come in to play, but I worry that jumping into NHL game action might not be wise.
I dont think we have any chance of that one... Veterans like Markov usually never get those assignments... IMO he's going to be put in when he is SAFELY ready to go. It'd be cool if they did that, however I do also believe it's the physical contact that the Habs would be trying to avoid, and the AHL'ers are full of those guys.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
You don't think Burke will call up his tough guy on the Marlies on the phone and say take out Markov's knee and I'll let you sit in the press box for 700,000 the rest of the year?

Old
10-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Rushtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
conboy and schultz are nowehere near ready to play in the NHL in any capacity - yes, even at applying their fists to people's faces they'd get outmatched at it.
I agree about conboy who is not a good fighter but Ian Schultz is a beast when its time too fight .. He is by far the best fighter in the organization with Travis Moen .. Hope this guy improve his overall game and be one day our 4th line agitator with ryan White

Old
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushtime View Post
I agree about conboy who is not a good fighter but Ian Schultz is a beast when its time too fight .. He is by far the best fighter in the organization with Travis Moen .. Hope this guy improve his overall game and be one day our 4th line agitator with ryan White
It'll only happen if White gets put back to center... otherwise, they are both RW depth.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 139
Quote:
The AHL is full of goons... no thanks!

Closed Thread