HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Snapshots help

Old
10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
shawn1331

vCash: 500
Snapshots help

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to ask this..its my first post.

So, I have a pretty decent snapshot(I'm 16 in major midget) But I find if I'm more than 20ft out it tends to go high. I understand the whole follow through thing and your stick going up and what not, but it doesn't seem to matter. The only way I can keep my snapshots low is by doing a pass motion and stopping my stick before it leaves the ice. I can shoot high or low but not in the middle more than 20 ft away.

Any advice?

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:39 PM
ponder

My main piece of advice would be to simply really pick a specific spot on the net, and concentrate on shooting right at that. If you can tie a little target onto the netting in the mid net area during practice that can really help, sometimes it's hard to concentrate on one spot when there's no one point to look at. My shots tend to sail when I don't focus on a specific spot, but when I do focus I can put them where I want. More of a practice problem than an in-game problem, because in-game you're always focusing on the nice little gaps that goalie leave.

In terms of technique, shooting low is all about following through low, really snapping your wrists, and making sure you're not opening up your blade when shooting (something you shouldn't be doing on any shots outside of a few feet away from the net, opening the blade produces weak chip shots, really takes away from your power). Sounds like you already know this part, but worth reiterating.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm kind of the same way...my low snap and wrist shots are more passes than hard shots. Mostly because I use and open blade. When I try and shoot low, I focus on rolling the puck ever so slightly more and releasing it further back in my stance...also I keep the top hand away from the body through the shot, a lot like a pass.

Honestly last summer I focused on consolidating my shots and instead of working on snap shots and wrist shots separately I just made one shot and it's worked out well. I practice it from all over the ice high and low as much as possible. Just trying to not confuse myself with technique but just gets the shots off quick, hard, and accurate.

I don't think my low shots will have the velocity of high shots because of how I shoot, load the stick, and use my forearms. But that's fine for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
shawn1331

Thanks for the advice guys, ya that makes alot of sense ponder. I have a pretty good wrister meaning I can put it where I want pretty well anywhere inside the offensive zone. But it just seems like my snappers rise to fast and after a certain distance its over the net. lol but I'll try that out thankyou.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote