HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter - Hairline Fracture (Foot)

Old
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
What about Brass, Johan and Umby on a second line? Drop Vermy to the third line. Would this work?
What a nice problem to have - being able to move guys up/down the lineup.

I say keep the top lines the way they are ... Nash/Prospal/Carter, Vermette/Umberger/Johansen ... Brassard should center the third line. Don't be surprised to see Brass get moved in the not so distant future...

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
What a nice problem to have - being able to move guys up/down the lineup.

I say keep the top lines the way they are ... Nash/Prospal/Carter, Vermette/Umberger/Johansen ... Brassard should center the third line. Don't be surprised to see Brass get moved in the not so distant future...
Brass should definitely pivot the 3rd line. I'd have Vermette center that 2nd line. It would be ideal for jettison Pahlsson.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Brass should definitely pivot the 3rd line. I'd have Vermette center that 2nd line. It would be ideal for jettison Pahlsson.
As others, I just don't see what Pahlsson is bringing any more. Top-notch penalty killing? Quick check of the stats kills that idea.

I'm not sure if anyone would take him at this point of the season.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Byrral

Need to get Carter healthy. Our power play should be sick.

If they don't trade Brassard he needs to play center. Much more productive there. Doesn't matter to me what line it is.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:16 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Not understanding.

Brass can't hold Pahlsson's jock defensively. He's never shown the same or even near the same ability to win board battles as Pahlsson.

80% of the time Pahlsson goes into the boards in either zone, he (or a supporting teammate) comes out with the puck.

I've no doubt Pahlsson will be moved at some point, but I get tired of the hate. I just don't understand how so many intelligent hockey fans can not understand the value this guy brings to his line, particularly after the performance last night.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

wooten

I believe he means in a 3rd scoring line...atleast i hope...if not then switch him and vermette who is much better defensively...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Not understanding.

Brass can't hold Pahlsson's jock defensively. He's never shown the same or even near the same ability to win board battles as Pahlsson.

80% of the time Pahlsson goes into the boards in either zone, he (or a supporting teammate) comes out with the puck.

I've no doubt Pahlsson will be moved at some point, but I get tired of the hate. I just don't understand how so many intelligent hockey fans can not understand the value this guy brings to his line, particularly after the performance last night.
He means a 3rd scoring line.

As I said before:
Huselius - Carter - Nash
Umberger - Johansen - Vermette
Prospal - Brassard - Atkinson/Giroux (potentially Calvert)
Boll - Pahlsson - Mayorov

Also add in Mackenzie who brings it every night and Dorsett who is, well, Dorsett.

I would not trade Brassard unless I was going to get a defenseman who is Tyutin's caliber or a goalie who would immediately take the starting spot from Mason.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:27 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
He means a 3rd scoring line.
that i understand, but there were some comments about not knowing what pahlsson brings anymore.

people dog the guy, but he really gets it done. sure, he looks exposed in open ice, but he's an animal on the boards and a pest. he's a perfect checking line center. I'd love to see Boll-Pahlsson-Bass at some point. what an irritating line.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Why Pahlsson? How effective was the top line of the Wings, Tuesday? He's been a luxury, up to now, because the Jackets have been so awful; but, if this team begins to play as we have hoped and expected, his value may become more apparent. Not to say he's irreplaceable or untradable, but that he's also not as useless or terrible as some think.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Renion

I like and want to keep Pahlsson, and here's a new reason why: Mayorov. I don't know if Mayorov will ever become a good offensive player in the NHL, but I've been really impressed with his defensive game. For every young player (with some ability) that the Jackets have had, I've wanted a good mentor for that player. With Mayorov, I think that mentor could be Pahlsson.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

There's no passionate hate on my end for Pahlsson, it's just that we are going to have to respectfully disagree. I am also willing to retract my statement if, like some of the other veterans on the team, he has just had a slow start of the season and it picks up from here.

I quickly mentioned the PK stats which was lazy on my part, but I have tried to really focus on his play particularly in the games I've been to live. I don't agree with your 80% figure, particularly during these 9 games. He's looked slow and because of that, has not been able to get in the appropriate spot quick enough. This has been especially apparent on some of the PK's where the D quickly move the puck point-to-point. From my perhaps jaded perspective, I think he's lost more man-to-man battles along the boards than he won this year. I would not have said this last year.

Hopefully, he's slowly gearing up. I also don't know what goes on in the dressing room (wrt mentoring Mayorov). Personally, I'd rather have Carter, Brassard, Vermette and Mackenzie as centers (and that's with Johansen shifted to 2nd line wing), but that's just me. But I also know that Brassard will net a bigger return than Pahlsson, so it's probably Brass who will eventually be on the move.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
blahblah

Can't even begin to care about Pahlsson. Any time I feel impressed over something he does, I realize it's been a game or two since I saw something similar. Most shifts, he just helps get the puck out of the zone and then nothing in the other two zones.

If that's enough for you people, so be it. That's a waste of about 1.5 million to me. That's not to say there isn't a role for him, but he days of contributing anything in two of the three zones has pretty much come to an end. You would like the line to produce something from time to time. But that like will have to depend on MM and DD to get something done in the offensive zone. Which means they'll probably end up as minus players to finish the year and maybe by double digits.

If you think 13 minutes a night as a -2 and a league worst PK 9 games in has been a mirage, I would just point back to him last year. If you only score 15-20 points 5 on 5 it's going to be tough to be a plus player. His barely above 50% faceoff pct is inspiring too.

Hopefully we can get on a role and get that last little bit that Sammy has left. But this signing left me as empty, to this point, as the Foote signing did 2.5 years into it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
FreeBoomer61

when fully helfully:

22-7-61
18-50-19
28-26-15/40
22-16-24/13

deal juice when healthy, maybe brass if we can get an immediate upgrade on the blue line or in goal

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:58 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: #CBJ C Jeff Carter likely out both games this week, vs. Toronto on Thursday and Philadelphia on Saturday.”

“@Aportzline: #CBJ GM Scott Howson said "it's a stretch" to think Carter will be back this week. He saw a doctor today for x-ray update on his right foot.”

“@Aportzline: #CBJ GM Scott Howson on C Jeff Carter: “We’re not going to put him in a game before he’s ready just so he can play in Philadelphia."”

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1100
I had a backstage pass last night and saw Carter after the game. It looked like he was still walking with a bit of limp as he went by. I told him to stop being a sissy-mary and get on the ice.

Well, most of the above is true. Some of it was just in my head.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:54 AM
tdflyers

Checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Say what you want, but it's hard for a guy to score as many goals as he does without doing something right. I know many Flyers fans weren't big on him, but I surely believe that you'll see some weaknesses exposed (particularly come late in the season) now that opposing teams don't have to worry about Carter and Richards with their one-two punch. Carter might not have put up a ton of points in the playoffs, but now all teams will have to do is put their top defense pair on Claude Giroux or Danny Briere instead - you'll see what I mean.

Without a doubt, in the first couple of games of the season, I thought Jeff Carter was very effective for the Jackets. If we put him on a line with a competent playmaker, I see absolutely no reason why he can't put up 40+ goals on a regular basis. Just because he doesn't go to the front of the net like, say, Scott Hartnell, doesn't mean he's not an elite level player.
I wanted to see if you still felt the same way now that Jeff has played 16 games for the Jackets. 8pts, 3 goals. On pace for about 15-20 goals this year. He has some injury issues so he might be slow starting. Have you seen him float or take entire periods off yet?

tdflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdflyers View Post
I wanted to see if you still felt the same way now that Jeff has played 16 games for the Jackets. 8pts, 3 goals. On pace for about 15-20 goals this year. He has some injury issues so he might be slow starting. Have you seen him float or take entire periods off yet?
The problem with comments like this is that everything is relative. That and the fact that he has paired with Nash - hard to tell who is the "floater" .

I think Carter and Nash try to play a bit too pretty with each other. They've both been looking to pass more than shoot. Just shoot the stupid puck already instead of trying to set up the other guy.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdflyers View Post
Haven't noticed this yet. He seems engaged at both ends to me, but then I think people overuse the term "floating" around these parts because of a fundamental misunderstanding of a forward's responsibilities.

Injuries are a big part of his slow start, as well as some slumping. He's had some great chances recently.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
thelos
Bunk

Carter never floated as a Flyer. He always backchecks, and at his worst offensively he just misses the net a lot. At his best, he is getting multiple great shots on goal every game

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:25 AM
BluejacketNut

Sounds like TD has sour grapes trolling

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote