HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comeau what's the deal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM
  #1
Qubax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Comeau what's the deal?

Signs a new one year deal.

Presumably he would work to have a good season so that he could make more money next year.

Can some Isles fans give some insight on his benching, where he stands with the coach and his future/upside?

Thanks

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:38 PM
  #2
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,161
vCash: 500
He needs to be playing on the left side and he has to has to has to start being physical every game. Every handful of games Comeau goes out & hits everyone & he's really productive. But then the next game he just stops hitting. I don't get it.

As for his standing with the coach & the whole benching, I'm sure that Jack is just trying to send him a message. But at the same time, Jack isn't doing him any favors by putting him on the right side when he has a long history of being a superior LW. It would be one thing if the move was made for a star player, but Brian Rolston isn't as good as Comeau is now. They should worry about putting the better player in the best position to succeed.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:47 PM
  #3
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
I was really surprised Capuano scratched him for the Ranger game. If there was any game to give him a boost, it would have been against the Rangers.

He's been invisible, but he always is invisible for stretches. When he's hot, he's hot.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:52 PM
  #4
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,427
vCash: 500
He was benched for one game.

One.

A benching of one game does not make a players resume.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:27 AM
  #5
drive45
Registered User
 
drive45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: closer than I appear
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
fair enough,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
He was benched for one game.

One.

A benching of one game does not make a players resume.
but as was discussed in another thread, BC has been a real rags-killer the last 2 yrs (8G, 4A), so his benching was a little surprising. Basically, someone had to sit to make room for Gillies, and Cappy sat BC instead of Rolston or Pandolfo.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:38 AM
  #6
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I was really surprised Capuano scratched him for the Ranger game. If there was any game to give him a boost, it would have been against the Rangers.

He's been invisible, but he always is invisible for stretches. When he's hot, he's hot.
It seems he comes alive once the team is out of contention.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:24 AM
  #7
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
It seems he comes alive once the team is out of contention.
when were they in contention?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:05 AM
  #8
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
just my speculation but i think he was benched because capuano wants guys putting pucks on net not circling the offensive zone looking to dish. comeau is effective when he's shooting going to the net not when hes circling and trying to make plays.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
  #9
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,304
vCash: 500
No big deal. Comeau was sent a message.

Gillies was dressed in case the foul play starts against the Rags and in light of the liberties TB took with the team.

Sometimes he needs a kick in the butt.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:23 AM
  #10
desmond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,099
vCash: 500
Always been a slow starter.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
  #11
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
No big deal. Comeau was sent a message.

Gillies was dressed in case the foul play starts against the Rags and in light of the liberties TB took with the team.

Sometimes he needs a kick in the butt.
I do find it weird the way Capuano has answered questions about Comeau's scratching. To me it sounds like more than just poor play. Perhaps trade? Perhaps he did something to piss off the coaching staff?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
  #12
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
I do find it weird the way Capuano has answered questions about Comeau's scratching. To me it sounds like more than just poor play. Perhaps trade? Perhaps he did something to piss off the coaching staff?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
I'm sure it's a "piss off the coaching staff" scratch. Comeau's been known to think he's entitled to something that he doesn't deserve by just sitting there. That's why he was sent down at the beginning of the season a few years ago, and scratched more than once in his career.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  #13
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Now I don't know...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...ment-on-comeau

Perhaps he is being traded once Nino is ready?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
  #14
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Now I don't know...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...ment-on-comeau

Perhaps he is being traded once Nino is ready?


You don't know because Capuano (and Snow) won't comment. Truth is...I'm fine with Comeau being dealt for a quality defenseman and Nino sliding in his spot.

Problem is...You don't usually sit players you're actively trying to trade.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:36 PM
  #15
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
You don't know because Capuano (and Snow) won't comment. Truth is...I'm fine with Comeau being dealt for a quality defenseman and Nino sliding in his spot.

Problem is...You don't usually sit players you're actively trying to trade.
Sometimes they are scratched if the GM knows they are being traded and doesn't want them to get hurt. Happened to Bill Guerin.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
  #16
redbull
movin'on up
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
I don't think he's being traded, I think it was performance-related. Not output, specifically, but effort and lack of consistency.

I think this is the first time that Capuano has benched Comeau, please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know Gordon did it a few times but I don't think Cappy did. In fact, Capuano continued to give Comeau important minutes as the season went on. Comeau was essentially a first line player under Capuano in terms of minutes - spread between PP, PK AND ES.

This came as a surprise to me, I thought Rolston was the weakest forward on the Islanders the first four games. NOt sure if they needed Rolston's cap hit either, because I'm sure they were well below the cap floor as soon as Dipietro got hurt.

I like Capuano's stance on not commenting on roster changes. I think it's important that stays within the team.

Based on Comeau's comments and Capuano's comments, I suspect it was based on his poor play/effot.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
  #17
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'm sure it's a "piss off the coaching staff" scratch. Comeau's been known to think he's entitled to something that he doesn't deserve by just sitting there. That's why he was sent down at the beginning of the season a few years ago, and scratched more than once in his career.
I know of no evidence to support the theory that he thinks he is entitled. If you have some proof, please provide it.
I also do not remember him being benched while a member of the regular roster. He was sent down quite a few years ago by Nolan, but remember, he is still only 25, so he was probably 22 when he came up and down, which is not unusual for a young player on a veteran laden roster like we had in '07-08.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:09 PM
  #18
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
With the way the top line has been playing you have to believe PAP is all but staying on that line.

So there fore who is going to be the victim of the Nino will play on this roster campaign? Comeau seems to be the guy coming to mind.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:14 PM
  #19
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Sometimes they are scratched if the GM knows they are being traded and doesn't want them to get hurt. Happened to Bill Guerin.
Actually it really doesn't happen that a player doesn't play prior to a trade. That Guerin situation was completely unique of you remember. Supposedly they had a deal in place with a certain team (I believe it was Washington), but the player coming back didn't waive his NMC. Therefore Guerin was pulled from the lineup as the deal was agreed to between Snow and the other GM. When the deal fell apart it was agreed that it would have been awkward to put him back in the lineup, so Guerin waited on the sidelines while Snow searched for the best deal possible which was a conditional 3rd rounder from Pittsburgh.

However a situation like this is very rare. Players usually play right up until they're traded.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:01 PM
  #20
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
I know of no evidence to support the theory that he thinks he is entitled. If you have some proof, please provide it.
I also do not remember him being benched while a member of the regular roster. He was sent down quite a few years ago by Nolan, but remember, he is still only 25, so he was probably 22 when he came up and down, which is not unusual for a young player on a veteran laden roster like we had in '07-08.
Maybe I misinterpreted the situation but I feel like every time he plays poorly it seems as though it was a run in with the coach. I'm just assuming it's based on him wanting to play a more prominent role while the coach doesn't believe he earned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Actually it really doesn't happen that a player doesn't play prior to a trade. That Guerin situation was completely unique of you remember. Supposedly they had a deal in place with a certain team (I believe it was Washington), but the player coming back didn't waive his NMC. Therefore Guerin was pulled from the lineup as the deal was agreed to between Snow and the other GM. When the deal fell apart it was agreed that it would have been awkward to put him back in the lineup, so Guerin waited on the sidelines while Snow searched for the best deal possible which was a conditional 3rd rounder from Pittsburgh.

However a situation like this is very rare. Players usually play right up until they're traded.
That's true, it was a strange situation. But it happened with him and Derek Morris at the same deadline. It can happen, but yeah it's probably unlikely unless Garth has already agreed to a deal.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
  #21
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,161
vCash: 500
On Comeau possibly moving back to the left wing:

“[Comeau] and Rolston, I know they talk quite a bit about switching left or right. If they feel more comfortable that way, then so do I.” (Capuano)

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-the-coliseum/

I hope Rolston is ok with the move. It's best for Comeau & he's the better player of the 2 now.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
  #22
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
The whole Comeau situation is simply that he is likely the odd man out right now. And because he is young, a 20-goal scorer and has a one-year contract he is the best bargaining chip we have if we are still pursuing a top 4 defenseman. I don't think it goes any further than that.

Nino needs a position to play and it makes sense to play him with Bailey and Rolston. A playmaking center and a defensively responsible winger allows Nino to play a simple game when he starts his NHL career. Get to the net and pick up goals. Use his shot and not have to create his shot.

If a physical d-man is available then that is the trade. If not available then the trade waits until it is. We are finally approaching that period of time when this franchise starts to get a backlog of talent in the system, and hard decisions need to be made. We haven't had that issue since the early 80's. But it is coming over the next few years. Comeau is a nice player but his upside is where he is now, unless there is some hidden scoring talent that gets him to the 30 goal level.

Who does Strome replace next year or two years from now? Or Petrov if he is ready and comes over next year? When you have depth it gives you flexibility to trade to fit need. If I'm Garth I think I have a special thing going on this year. This team has talent, and now it looks like it is finally learning how to win. The last three wins were significant because of how they played with the lead in the third period. This is where Reasoner, Pandolfo and Roulston are so important; they know how to hold a late lead. A real Top 4 d-man might well be the final piece in putting this team over the top THIS YEAR.

If it costs Comeau or Bailey, THAT'S THE PRICE TO PAY.

Although he is not a truly physical player Cody Franson might be available. Maybe a swap of the two with a draft pick going each way. Comeau and a 4th for Franson and a 2nd? Maybe something like that.


Last edited by leeroggy: 10-18-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Add
leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
  #23
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
I think it really comes down to if Nino can replace Comeau at this point when he returns. It's really the only spot for him, do not mess with the chemistry on the first two lines (and maybe even the 4th for that matter).

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
  #24
drive45
Registered User
 
drive45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: closer than I appear
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
The whole Comeau situation is simply that he is likely the odd man out right now. And because he is young, a 20-goal scorer and has a one-year contract he is the best bargaining chip we have if we are still pursuing a top 4 defenseman. I don't think it goes any further than that.

Nino needs a position to play and it makes sense to play him with Bailey and Rolston. A playmaking center and a defensively responsible winger allows Nino to play a simple game when he starts his NHL career. Get to the net and pick up goals. Use his shot and not have to create his shot.

If a physical d-man is available then that is the trade. If not available then the trade waits until it is. We are finally approaching that period of time when this franchise starts to get a backlog of talent in the system, and hard decisions need to be made. We haven't had that issue since the early 80's. But it is coming over the next few years. Comeau is a nice player but his upside is where he is now, unless there is some hidden scoring talent that gets him to the 30 goal level.

Who does Strome replace next year or two years from now? Or Petrov if he is ready and comes over next year? When you have depth it gives you flexibility to trade to fit need. If I'm Garth I think I have a special thing going on this year. This team has talent, and now it looks like it is finally learning how to win. The last three wins were significant because of how they played with the lead in the third period. This is where Reasoner, Pandolfo and Roulston are so important; they know how to hold a late lead. A real Top 4 d-man might well be the final piece in putting this team over the top THIS YEAR.

If it costs Comeau or Bailey, THAT'S THE PRICE TO PAY.

Although he is not a truly physical player Cody Franson might be available. Maybe a swap of the two with a draft pick going each way. Comeau and a 4th for Franson and a 2nd? Maybe something like that.
What makes you say that Cody Franson might be available?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
  #25
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
What makes you say that Cody Franson might be available?
The Canadian papers have covered this some. Franson was a healthy scratch and not happy about it, and went public with it. Toronto has at least 7 NHL level defensemen and Burke has made no secret he would be willing to acquire another forward. Based on Franson's numbers the last two years in Nashville you would think he would be starting.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ed-of-waiting/

The article lists the defense and delves into Franson's feelings.

At 6'5" and 215lbs with a right handed shot he would fit nicely on our third pairing and would probably make the perfect compliment for DeHaan when he eventually gets called up.

leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.