HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Best Way To Backup Your PC?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 03:05 PM
  #26
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I simply don't know if any of the major online backup providers store and create 'images'. Images are what you are clearly looking for though when you mention #4. You could probably store images on them but you would need yet another program to create them.

Acronis has an online version but I have no experience with it. But the main problem I see is that it's only 250 GB. That's a lot of space but many systems ship with 1tb drives or more now. How much space do you use right now? Also you would have to use it in conjunction with True image. However True image + Acronis online would probably do just about everything you want. Outside of the size restrictions.

Also frankly I'd be trying to prevent my pc from taking a dump as well. Unless it's old, you get tons of viruses, or you are incredibly unlucky you shouldn't have total system failure so much. PC's failing doesn't have to be standard operating procedure. I had my last XP install running for 4 years with no failures.

If you are having hard drive failures frequently(as In you have to buy new Hard drives) have you considered a RAID setup? You say it's a PC so I assume it isn't a laptop.
1) So Acronis will backup everything, and do it automatically so if my PC fails today at 3:59 PM I can restore everything as it was at 3:59?

2) What is RAID?


Why does my PC (laptop break)....here is my LONG story:



OK….here is what happened.
I have a Sony VAIO Laptop.
In May, PC fell on the floor accidentally, it then would not work.
I took it to staples, sure enough, the harddrive needs replaced, and the operating system needs re-installed. They recommended a new motherboard, but thought I could get by without it.
I lost all previous data, cost was $250.

Two weeks ago, I shut down the PC, it installs a new version of windows vista updates.
I go to turn on the PC next day, well it turns on, but the screen is totally blank.
Not to alarmed I am at first, because this happened last month. However, after trying several times, it will not turn on.

I go to staples, guy tells me I "lost" all data on my harddrive and it needs a new motherboard and maybe a video card.
I am like, I thought you took care of this problem.
He "claims" that since my PC has no battery (it died and has not been replaced) that when windows vista updates, it can cause it to crash. He thinks that windows vista update messed it up, and now I need a new motherboard for $120+all data is lost.

He thinks some virus perhaps causes this problem, perhaps when vista was updating, that vista as opposed to XP can cause it to malfunction.
I say this guy is a fraud who ripped me off.
I never heard of a "vista update" causing a motherboard to crash, and further, how does a motherboard crash destroy all data on my harddrive?

Last week, got the PC back today.

Here is what they did:

1) Replaced optical disk drive
2) Replaced hard drive
3) Restores OS
4) Replaced System Board
5) Cleaned CPU/VGA fan
6) Replaced Thermal Pad

They did not give me a print out of the problem, just a report on what was wrong. Somehow, different person was there, and I avaded any charge.

I have no idea why my PC needed a new hardrive since I got one three months ago.
It runs fine now, but after these last six months….I want to make sure if hell strikes again I am covered!

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  #27
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochuli View Post
1) How do I find out how much space
-My docs take
-My HDD uses?

2) Your solution sounds tricky and manual, I wanted something simple, point and click.
The problem is there won't be anything I would describe as simple to do what you are asking for. It won't be too bad but might take a little work.

To find out how much space your using right now go to My Computer and right click>properties on each drive (C,D,E, etc)

Also once you set up Acronis to run, it can run automatically on a schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochuli View Post
1) So Acronis will backup everything, and do it automatically so if my PC fails today at 3:59 PM I can restore everything as it was at 3:59?

2) What is RAID?


Why does my PC (laptop break)....here is my LONG story:



OK….here is what happened.
I have a Sony VAIO Laptop.
In May, PC fell on the floor accidentally, it then would not work.
I took it to staples, sure enough, the harddrive needs replaced, and the operating system needs re-installed. They recommended a new motherboard, but thought I could get by without it.
I lost all previous data, cost was $250.

Two weeks ago, I shut down the PC, it installs a new version of windows vista updates.
I go to turn on the PC next day, well it turns on, but the screen is totally blank.
Not to alarmed I am at first, because this happened last month. However, after trying several times, it will not turn on.

I go to staples, guy tells me I "lost" all data on my harddrive and it needs a new motherboard and maybe a video card.

Last week, got the PC back today.

!
Since it's a laptop RAID won't help you.

Also, IMO fixing that much stuff in a laptop is a waste of time unless it's a recent high end one like over $1300 (since it's vista I doubt it's recent)

Yeah the guy at Staples took you for a ride on the second problem if you are describing it correctly. At worst you should have needed a re-install of the OS from the restore partition. Improper shut down won't cause hardware to fail. But you might have even gotten by with a 'repair' install. Vista updating + improper shutdown probably did cause your issue, but that will under no circumstances permanently damage hardware. Even if you had a virus the same applies.

Again, I haven't used the Acronis online product but I have used the True image product. If you use Acronis True image to create a backup, then upload it online or store it somewhere; yes you can restore everything exactly as it was.

This is for an older version of Acronis but it still applies. Video series.
http://ask-leo.com/how_to_backup.html

It doesn't cover the online portion however.


Last edited by SniperHF: 10-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.
SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
  #28
mucker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Let's Be Safe!
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
The problem is there won't be anything I would describe as simple to do what you are asking for. It won't be too bad but might take a little work.

To find out how much space your using right now go to My Computer and right click>properties on each drive (C,D,E, etc)

Also once you set up Acronis to run, it can run automatically on a schedule.
I guess the C drive is all that matters?
I clicked, I am using 64.4 GB or 290.

In your view, given what I want and need, what should I do?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:24 PM
  #29
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochuli View Post
I guess the C drive is all that matters?
I clicked, I am using 64.4 GB or 290.

In your view, given what I want and need, what should I do?
C isn't all that matters, if you have other drives those could be important too.

Cheap isn't gonna happen with all the stuff you are looking for unfortunately.

I'm not an expert in this area because I backup everything locally not online so I really can't speak to all the various options. I know Acronis True image + online will do with some work everything you are looking for though.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:32 PM
  #30
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
Frankly, a new computer, ideally one that doesn't use that crappy OS, Vista, would be a good idea. As a temporary fix, this is what you need to do:

1) Open My Computer, and you should be able to see the size of your hard drive. Don't look for the size of your files, but the maximum size of the hard drive.

2) Now you are going to need to get some hardware. One, get a hard drive that is at least as large as your laptop's hard drive. Two, you need a means to physically connect it to the laptop.

You can either buy an external hard drive, which comes with the cables you need, or buy an internal hard drive + an enclosure (which comes with the USB cables you need). Either way works. An external in the first place would be easier for you, I think.

3) Now you can set up your software, once, and the schedule (say, weekly) to perform a full backup. Say, 3am every Sunday night. Whatever works for you.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.