HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

what the !@%$ adobe, seriously

Old
10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
what the !@%$ adobe, seriously

Why can't Adobe fix their **** the first time around instead of constantly updating the security every 24-48 hours.

We have 30,000 users in a locked down environment who aren't able to update due to install restrictions, and a change management process in a multi-billion dollar company isn't going to change that policy overnight. That means my team has to do each one manually (remotely). FFFFF UUUUUUU

It appears that the old adage "free is expensive" is true. Fix your crap right the first time or get on a schedule or update time table.

/rant

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Krishna

Sounds like EA sports

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:53 AM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Why can't Adobe fix their **** the first time around instead of constantly updating the security every 24-48 hours.

We have 30,000 users in a locked down environment who aren't able to update due to install restrictions, and a change management process in a multi-billion dollar company isn't going to change that policy overnight. That means my team has to do each one manually (remotely). FFFFF UUUUUUU

It appears that the old adage "free is expensive" is true. Fix your crap right the first time or get on a schedule or update time table.

/rant
type 'adobe' into any torrent search engine, that could be why they always messing with security, but, I'm not really sure what youre referring to. All adobe products? Is it photoshop, flash, acrobat?

edit* didnt look at the pic... personally I never update flash player immediately, it always has issues, gotta wait a month or 2

Last edited by bostone737: 10-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:16 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
type 'adobe' into any torrent search engine, that could be why they always messing with security, but, I'm not really sure what youre referring to. All adobe products? Is it photoshop, flash, acrobat?

edit* didnt look at the pic... personally I never update flash player immediately, it always has issues, gotta wait a month or 2
Adobe AIR, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player (embedded, etc)

We deploy a company image, but some of these updates are very intrusive. The icon keeps popping a bubble, constant reminders flash on the screen, or it just flat out refuses to display in IE, etc.

As websites are coming on with updates to the source, the users have to follow suit to keep up with all the stores that sell our products... and often the player won't display right and the update is justified.

But the frustration is because not only is it every 48 hours it seems, but the fact that it doesn't update just the profile of the user... it wants to do a system install that affects all users on the unit + a reboot.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
neofury*

He's referring to the fact that when you're an IT person overseeing a massive companies network, you don't allow them to update files automatically so whenever adobe comes out with one of these little 5kb updates it pops up for hundreds of users within the company. Then he has to go around to every single god damn machine, login as Admin, update Adobe and log back out.

I feel for him but honestly only time I've ever had to do that was when a piss poor IT company was taking care of their network in the first place and wouldn't give out admin to our company. Understandable but at the same time if you setup a network properly in the first place issues like that can be dealt with more easily. One thing that can be done is you just have people work through terminal services, but even then there are ways to install updates across a domain if the network is setup in such a way that it can be done.

Last company I was doing work for had IT people who were simply overwhelmed and they eventually gave me an admin account just so that I could help fix issues like this all day. It was quite annoying but hey money is money. Just would rather be doing less tedious work and that's coming from a programmer, I'm not really a network admin or anything. (Ironic cause most people find programming work tedious, I do too but doing stuff like updating Adobe for 50 workstations... far more tedious)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:31 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:

/rant
I see you work tech support for a billion dollar company too.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

^^ we can't do that. Change management wants to monitory and track changes in the laptops (ie: what programs are installed, the fact that we got sued way back in the day when microsoft office was just being handed out like candy, and all the user-caused problems when they install freeware and **** like "comet cursor" and "coupon bug" and wonder why their **** breaks, that 15 minute install causes us 4 hours downtime to reimage the machine or to have the users come in to have me roll back.

It also prevents users from doing things like "oh my kid took the laptop out of the domain because he couldn't figure out how to get it to work with his game" or "I was traveling and someone tried running a program to help me speed it up but now all I get is popups and blue screens and my presentation is due in an hour" kinda crap.

We have a great corporate image, and it works fine for 99% of the users out there but adobe is just annoying, creating a lot of frustration and 1st level calls and tickets.

When you have 30k + users, you HAVE to have a standard platform and lock it down. If the users were able to have self control, we would give them full rights to the local machine, but when they pull stunts like that I abandon all hope.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:42 AM
duckchobbins

I had to demo the Captivate software to my department last month. Would have been fine...had I known how to use it. Taught myself and then demo'd to the group.

Captivate sucks. Extremely fickle, crashes constantly, and files end up corrupt.

I just built one during the course of my demos, and yesterday I went to publish it to the web for my company...the files are toast, including the 2 backups, all saved in different places with different names.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I had to demo the Captivate software to my department last month. Would have been fine...had I known how to use it. Taught myself and then demo'd to the group.

Captivate sucks. Extremely fickle, crashes constantly, and files end up corrupt.

I just built one during the course of my demos, and yesterday I went to publish it to the web for my company...the files are toast, including the 2 backups, all saved in different places with different names.
captivate is really powerful actually, once you get the hang of it. Need a good strong computer to run it though. Never had many issues as u described and have made some great application tutorials with it

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
^^ we can't do that. Change management wants to monitory and track changes in the laptops (ie: what programs are installed, the fact that we got sued way back in the day when microsoft office was just being handed out like candy, and all the user-caused problems when they install freeware and **** like "comet cursor" and "coupon bug" and wonder why their **** breaks, that 15 minute install causes us 4 hours downtime to reimage the machine or to have the users come in to have me roll back.

It also prevents users from doing things like "oh my kid took the laptop out of the domain because he couldn't figure out how to get it to work with his game" or "I was traveling and someone tried running a program to help me speed it up but now all I get is popups and blue screens and my presentation is due in an hour" kinda crap.

We have a great corporate image, and it works fine for 99% of the users out there but adobe is just annoying, creating a lot of frustration and 1st level calls and tickets.

When you have 30k + users, you HAVE to have a standard platform and lock it down. If the users were able to have self control, we would give them full rights to the local machine, but when they pull stunts like that I abandon all hope.
Yeah, well at the company I was working with they did allow local access to the machines for some users so they would be able to login without the domain when necessary. Well guess what some of those people had installed on their rig? Everquest and such

You really can't win with this type of stuff. Either you give access rights and they **** the **** up within a matter of days, or you give them nothing and the simplest updates need to be done by you or somebody else at your company, hopefully in your case somebody who does the low level stuff, unfortunately for me I default as that person

Glad I'm not doing it anymore though, the company we were dealing with was just a huge pain in the ass and weren't worth the money we were making. We're talking a company that hires folks who know absolutely nothing about computers. Since most of my support is remotely and these companies often times aren't in the same province I once had a guy complain that I wouldn't go on site He said remote support is the dumbest thing ever and that it won't ever make it mainstream Of course when you have a hardware problem you'll need to call somebody local, the guys laptop was ****ed, it was a 4 year old Acer laptop that was running at like 90-100C on most components This isn't really my fault. Anyways I hate dealing with massive companies like that especially from a contracted standpoint. The more people involved the more dumb people has always been my experience.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:18 AM
neofury*

Oh and I forgot to mention, they asked me what I'd recommend for a laptop, I said don't get Acer again because Acer is crap and that's why the laptop broke in the first place. Well the dude whose laptop broke didn't like me because of the whole "remote support" thing I mentioned and he asked their old IT people what to get, they told him Acer was fine etc. Pretty sure it's the type of situation where the guy gets kick backs from Acer if he sells their products over others. Anyways the guy got an Acer in the end, can't wait till it ****s up. He seems to think it was my remote accessing of his rig that made it break, it couldn't have been the fact that it was overheating so badly the wireless adapter was frying and couldn't keep connectivity for more than a few minutes

Old
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Oh and I forgot to mention, they asked me what I'd recommend for a laptop, I said don't get Acer again because Acer is crap and that's why the laptop broke in the first place. Well the dude whose laptop broke didn't like me because of the whole "remote support" thing I mentioned and he asked their old IT people what to get, they told him Acer was fine etc. Pretty sure it's the type of situation where the guy gets kick backs from Acer if he sells their products over others. Anyways the guy got an Acer in the end, can't wait till it ****s up. He seems to think it was my remote accessing of his rig that made it break, it couldn't have been the fact that it was overheating so badly the wireless adapter was frying and couldn't keep connectivity for more than a few minutes
LOL. No remote access? Guess what, he's shipping his **** back ups overnight. I have a LogMeIn rescue account (I bought it, much to my department head's protest, but got it anyway, $999 a year, ouch)... and we use OCS (office communicator server) so I can do either. OCS points to a public exchange so I can hit it up anywhere, and logmein works when all else fails.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
LOL. No remote access? Guess what, he's shipping his **** back ups overnight. I have a LogMeIn rescue account (I bought it, much to my department head's protest, but got it anyway, $999 a year, ouch)... and we use OCS (office communicator server) so I can do either. OCS points to a public exchange so I can hit it up anywhere, and logmein works when all else fails.
We used to use that LogMeIn also, now I just use free edition as a fail safe for my machines (home and work) and we use Bomgar as our remote desktop software. It's probably as good as you can get for remote desktop software and the guy was still whining about it. You double click an icon on your desktop if you have an issue and an IT person will be with you shortly after. Seems pretty simple to me.

I love doing remote work but I'm not really a hardware guy to begin with, I can build a rig don't get me wrong but I'm not the person at my company that deals with hardware related issues in the first place.

Old
10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
captivate is really powerful actually, once you get the hang of it. Need a good strong computer to run it though. Never had many issues as u described and have made some great application tutorials with it
No doubt it can do a lot, it just runs like crap in my office. Plus, we have pretty strict guidelines about what we can include. I'm pretty much limited to audio, screen caps, text, and highlight boxes. Even still, I can't go 2 hours without something going haywire and crashing out.

Prob just the computers here, so I suppose I'm barking up the wrong tree

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
The latest Firefox versions don't seem to be doing to well when combined with Adobe, it seems.....every few minutes, my Firefox locks up for 20-30 seconds.

It's really quite annoying.

Using Chrome now.

10-20-2011, 06:26 PM
pine*

same, my Flash plug-in keep crashing on both Chrome and Firefox, slowing down my PC in the process.

**** that ****.

Help?

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
TomPlex

My system allows us to update Flash on our own, THANKFULLY. I definitely feel for you.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote