HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Fans boo cancer PSA

Old
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Fans boo cancer PSA

Say goodnight to the bad guy...

So this is posted elsewhere with even more misleading headlines, but for now, here is the link to the New York Daily News article

Really though - media loves to make us the bad guys. It's so simple..if you put Sidney Crosby's mug on a screen in the WFC, the FANS WILL BOO.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
jagrgodr

worst article ever? They even admit that all of those players are on rival teams and only "some" fans booed them.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If you showed that PSA at a Caps game you'd get the same effect. You wouldn't have everyone in the media diving all over it though.

10-13-2011, 12:54 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
worst article ever? They even admit that all of those players are on rival teams and only "some" fans booed them.
Well do your own research if you like - I was calling attention to the sensational headlines - just google "flyers fans boo" and you will get 539 news articles...I saw a headline on my phone but couldn't find the specific article.

For your laziness:

Yahoo Sports

Houston Chronicle

The fact that Texas has a concern enough to write about it, should show how easy it is to make us villains.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Oh my God, this is such a non-issue. They've been showing the Crosby Hockey Fights Cancer ad for years now. Years. As in, this wasn't the first time it was shown. Just like it wasn't the first time it was boo'ed. It's happened so many times while I've been there that I don't even notice it happening. The media is like 4 years late on this. It's like booing rain.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Well do your own research if you like - I was calling attention to the sensational headlines - just google "flyers fans boo" and you will get 539 news articles...I saw a headline on my phone but couldn't find the specific article.

For your laziness:

Yahoo Sports

Houston Chronicle

The fact that Texas has a concern enough to write about it, should show how easy it is to make us villains.
Not sure his laziness should be called into questioned here, I don't think you understand why he was saying it was the worst article ever.

This shouldn't have been made an issue, but a couple outside writers tweeted about it during the game last night, and it grew legs, became a PuckDaddy story quickly, and ended up on the Yahoo! opening page. It wasn't a big deal until someone unnecessarily made it one.

There are people with common sense who know that the fans weren't booing cancer, and fans without any who find it a good opportunity to pile on our fanbase. Unfortunately the latter has the greater number.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
is this really thread worthy?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Oh my God, this is such a non-issue. They've been showing the Crosby Hockey Fights Cancer ad for years now. Years. As in, this wasn't the first time it was shown. Just like it wasn't the first time it was boo'ed. It's happened so many times while I've been there that I don't even notice it happening. The media is like 4 years late on this. It's like booing rain.
Yes, but fun to write negatively about us now. It's like the need to overcompensate our bad guy persona since we very briefly were the "victims" with that banana incident - can't have that.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
PuckBoy33

but . . .

We DID throw snowballs at Santa Claus and cheer when Michael Irvin got nearly paralyzed.

Assumptions and conclusions are often based (even if sub-conciously) on past behavior. Habit is hard-wired in our genetic make-up.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
is this really thread worthy?
Yes, because as intelligent hockey fans, it means just as much to talk about all aspects of the game - not just OMG Jagr is great or whatever.

To be honest, it probably irks me more because I have been a writer (formerly newspaper) for the better part of my life - so seeing the evolution of our image is always interesting to me.

It's like the sport needs a bad guy and no matter what, media will find ways to over-promote that image.

The Avery non-incident, where a player calls another player games in the heat of the moment, drew unfounded attention from big name bloggers and media sites.

And now this - something that has been going on for years - launched into large attention for no reason.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
We DID throw snowballs at Santa Claus and cheer when Michael Irvin got nearly paralyzed.

Assumptions and conclusions are often based (even if sub-conciously) on past behavior. Habit is hard-wired in our genetic make-up.
No, they boo'd Deion Sanders while he pranced around the field like a moron while Irvin was down on the field.

This will become pretty indefensible when our own fans don't know what happened...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Clyde Donovan

The funny thing is the media will make this a bigger story than the two murders that happened at La and San Francisco over a baseball game.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
PuckBoy33

Cindy Crosby: smell the glove

Speaking of Sid the Kid, did anyone else notice in the "hockey gives back" commercial on NHL Network that he is wearing a pair of dimpled garden gloves BACKWARDS when he is using a shovel? In other words, the dimples are on the tops of his hands rather than on the palms where they should be.

http://www.ekmpowershop23.com/ekmps/...irs-1989-p.asp

http://www.naturegay.com/gardening-gloves

Old
10-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

They see me booin

They hatin

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Dykhuis26

What's wrong with booing cancer? Cancer sucks.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Yet nobody makes a big deal out of "Hockey Fights Cancer Awareness Month"

Why is hockey fighting cancer awareness?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Yes, because as intelligent hockey fans, it means just as much to talk about all aspects of the game - not just OMG Jagr is great or whatever.

To be honest, it probably irks me more because I have been a writer (formerly newspaper) for the better part of my life - so seeing the evolution of our image is always interesting to me.

It's like the sport needs a bad guy and no matter what, media will find ways to over-promote that image.

The Avery non-incident, where a player calls another player games in the heat of the moment, drew unfounded attention from big name bloggers and media sites.

And now this - something that has been going on for years - launched into large attention for no reason.

I see what you are saying, but really, who cares?? Let them hate us and have a bad opinion of us. That's not going to stop me from being a fan. At least we aren't beating someone up into a coma like they do at Dodger's games. That's a lot more serious than booing something.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
No, they boo'd Deion Sanders while he pranced around the field like a moron while Irvin was down on the field.

This will become pretty indefensible when our own fans don't know what happened...
Not to mention the fact that the Santa Claus was just some drunk guy dancing in a Santa costume and the fans who threw the snowballs have just watched their Eagles go through a terrible season.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
But but but but no one else boos or throws stuff! Booing rival players on a jumbotron is a lot worse than nearly burning your city down after a loss! Totally worse than starting a riot on nickel beer night! Shame on all you booers!

10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
PuckBoy33

Get the door, it's Domino's

And who can forget when good ol' "High n' Wide" got pelted with a pizza box after we eliminated the Capitals a few years ago.

He was talking to Coatsey. CLASSIC.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articl...terview/254389

Old
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
And who can forget when good ol' "High n' Wide" got pelted with a pizza box after we eliminated the Capitals a few years ago.

Also, didn't the Boston fans cheer one of our fans leaving on a stretcher during that first epic series?

Talk about class! haha

Old
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Maybe they were booing cancer. Like, "BOOOO CANCER! You suck!!!!" Or perhaps, they were saying "Boo-urns!" Just a though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
PuckBoy33

First Cup fight in stands

Quote:
Also, didn't the Boston fans cheer one of our fans leaving on a stretcher during that first epic series?

Talk about class! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsxWPknF7TQ

How about a around the 17 minute mark in the 3rd period of the final game where a guy wearing a bruins jersey gets his ass kicked in the stands? The melee lasts for over 2 minutes and even the NBC commentator makes mention of it. It was right after Orr got pissed when he and Clarke got tangled up in front of the net.

Also, dig the cute girl in the miniskirt in the front row near the benches--she has her fingers crossed wishing the Flyers luck!

Old
10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

Pretty sure it was a beer bottle

Edit: yep

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
The funny thing is the media will make this a bigger story than the two murders that happened at La and San Francisco over a baseball game.

x2

this is infuriating.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote