HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Igor Grigorenko

Old
10-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Igor Grigorenko

Has anyone noticed how Grigorenko has put a couple of nice season behind him now? Also 2nd in the KHL in goals as we speak. After everything he went through, it looks as though he's finally realized (after Detroit cut ties with him) hockey is important again. Good for him. He'll get another shot in the NHL if he continues to play the way he has over the last two seasons..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Yeah, and there's a thread about it too!... somewhere on this board.

People think he won't find himself in the NHL anytime soon, and still believe he will never reach his pre-accident potential. I can't be too sure, but I think they may call the guy too slow to keep up with the NHL game.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
babcockscowl

who cares, dude had no patience and went home, hope he enjoys his time in Hockey Hell

babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
YAY!!! another thread about a kid who showed no heart and thought he was the next federov (as a wing)

enjoy hockey hell

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

It's nice to see.

I'd be nice to have him show some interest in Detroit again and maybe come over for a training camp to show what he can do. I'm sure he prefers the money and the lifestyle he has in Russia though and I can't blame him.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
Yeah, getting paid millions to play in your home country. I'm sure life's pretty hard for him over there.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Harnessed in Slums

I can say I'm happy he was able to get back to playing hockey at a high level. I don't see him coming over to the NHL, he'd have to probably take a significant pay cut and there's no guarantee it'd work out for him. This is a situation where I understand why it didn't work out here for him so I can say good luck to him in the KHL. He seems to be thriving over there. I have no ill will at all towards the guy.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Xvash2

I thought we killed this thread a month ago. Grigorenko is history, and should stay that way. Where are you going to slot him in? Should he take away time from Gustav Nyquist or Tomas Tatar? Our roster is so overloaded right now. And if you say "LOL TRADE HUDLER" I will smack you.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
I thought we killed this thread a month ago. Grigorenko is history, and should stay that way. Where are you going to slot him in? Should he take away time from Gustav Nyquist or Tomas Tatar? Our roster is so overloaded right now. And if you say "LOL TRADE HUDLER" I will smack you.
Trade Hudler

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

You stay classy, Red Wings fans.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Glad to see him doing well. Who knows..never say never.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Schroedingers Cat

This expectation from the Wings and their fanbase that all hockey players should suck Detroit off for a chance to play here is a good part of why UFAs like Wisniewski refused offers and then said "they treat and pay their players and prospects poorly".

No one is going to go from making millions in the KHL to making 500,000 a year and riding a bus cross-country. Red Wings fans need to stop being pissy babies about it. If Grigorenko scored a PPG in the KHL and came over here for a camp on a try-out and outperformed one of our prospects, he'd be on the team.

I remember during the Grigorenko fiasco even the Detroit writers were being whiny little babies.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
This expectation from the Wings and their fanbase that all hockey players should suck Detroit off for a chance to play here is a good part of why UFAs like Wisniewski refused offers and then said "they treat and pay their players and prospects poorly".

No one is going to go from making millions in the KHL to making 500,000 a year and riding a bus cross-country. Red Wings fans need to stop being pissy babies about it. If Grigorenko scored a PPG in the KHL and came over here for a camp on a try-out and outperformed one of our prospects, he'd be on the team.

I remember during the Grigorenko fiasco even the Detroit writers were being whiny little babies.
Was Grigorenko really making millions in the KHL before he came to training camp that year?

And every fan base is like this, every fan base is arrogant, every fan base has 'classless' fans, every fan base has entitlement.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Leadzedder

Quote:

For the most part, I agree. Nothing like a Grigorenko thread to highlight who the moron posters are.

But, I'm quite sure you just made up the bolded part, which is just as annoying.

Grigorenko rehabbed and slowly made his way back to relevance. When he came over he wasn't good enough, or in shape enough or both. He's not lazy. Look at Hudler last year. It's a different league with different standards. That's why that prospect camp they hold in the summer's is important to prospects. We had big hopes for Grigs. We were disappointed. We were buthurt. Let it go.

Glad to see he's ripping it up.

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Wow... hockey-hell...

Errr... I think some people here should get their views straight. I mean... I love the NHL and the Wings. But there is also a pretty good life outside the US, outside Detroit and outside the NHL! Not everybody on planet earth MUST have the will to do and give everything just to play a few shifts with the winged wheel!

Igor was a great prospect. Then he had an accident. An olmost LETHAL accident! This kid might have DIED! And you guys blame him for

a) not being back to his potential before
b) perhaps finding other priorities for his life then hockey in the process

Really guys... get a life! He has a pretty darn good living on hockey. He lives in his home-country. He has his own culture, his own surrounding. He is very successful, he is a star and go-to guy. He makes millions. Why should he give that up for a CHANCE to reach the SAME level in Detroit?!

I wish him all good, all luck. And especially after the big plane-crash last month one should perhaps rethink some things. He experienced a situation that was pretty close to that for himself.

I think Grigs showed a ton more heart and desire to play hockey then all of us here together! Coming back from injuries like that and play hockey at the level he does now is pure heart! Nothing else.

Good luck, Igor!

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:51 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Was Grigorenko really making millions in the KHL before he came to training camp that year?

And every fan base is like this, every fan base is arrogant, every fan base has 'classless' fans, every fan base has entitlement.
So? Doesn't mean you should shout the jackasses down if they act arrogant, classless or entitled.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
So? Doesn't mean you should shout the jackasses down if they act arrogant, classless or entitled.
Everyone gets their own opinion

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Leadzedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
Igor was a great prospect. Then he had an accident. An olmost LETHAL accident! This kid might have DIED! And you guys blame him for

a) not being back to his potential before
b) perhaps finding other priorities for his life then hockey in the process

Good luck, Igor!

That's a good point Zorin. There was alot of noise about a wife and new baby back then too. From a hospital bed to a top scorer in his native league. I'm pretty sure he's happy with his progress. I think it was pretty clear pretty early that he wasn't gonna be a wing.

As fortunate as the Wings have been the last decade or two, we've lost some good ones. Konstantinov, Fischer, Grigs.

Ahhh, who needs a high skilled russian bulldog anyways.

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:22 PM
icKx
Playoffs, plz

Quote:
As evidenced by Detroit ranking as the organization players most wanted to play for in the CBC/NHLPA players poll from earlier this year.

I agree with the rest of your post but on this point you are simply turd-talking.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
datsykiandeke
nose for the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
As evidenced by Detroit ranking as the organization players most wanted to play for in the CBC/NHLPA players poll from earlier this year.

I agree with the rest of your post but on this point you are simply turd-talking.

datsykiandeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:25 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
why UFAs like Wisniewski refused offers and then said "they treat and pay their players and prospects poorly".
I have read some stupid things in my life, but this sir is top of the list.

Detroit treats their players badly? How many players stayed in Detroit for most of their careers? Did they stay for the city life you think? How many former players were offered and accepted jobs within the organization? You know of any other organization that has as many of its former players working for it as Detroit?

Wis is an idiot. Columbus had to overpay to get people there and Detroit wasn't willing to match, plain and simple.

I liked Grigorenko and really held out hope. But he had an accident and when he recovered and came to camp, he didn't show what it takes. Its a shame, but the Wings could have cut him loose years earlier and didn't. They waited him out, but if the guy just doesn't have the commitment to play in the NHL I don't see how that the Wings' fault.

And enough with this KHL ********. That's a retirement league.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:35 AM
Xvash2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
And enough with this KHL ********. That's a retirement league.
What, other countries aren't allowed to have hockey leagues? So Brad McCrimmon was killed trying to coach his way into retirement?

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:32 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
When I want sound, rational and emotion-free analysis on where a great place to go play hockey is, I always look for a guy who just took 5.5 a year to go play in Columbus. Play that quote back for him in about 2 years and I think he might just cry and start rocking back and forth with a teddy bear clutched under his arm.

Quote:
No one is going to go from making millions in the KHL to making 500,000 a year and riding a bus cross-country.
True. Which is why people can justifiably describe Grigorenko as a guy who would rather make money than take a real shot at the NHL. It's not an evil or slothful decision, but guys who are playing where they want to play because of money aren't exactly always the players who would end up being willing to make the sacrifices necessary to be successful long-term players in Detroit.

Quote:
Red Wings fans need to stop being pissy babies about it. If Grigorenko scored a PPG in the KHL and came over here for a camp on a try-out and outperformed one of our prospects, he'd be on the team.
I don't think too many people have said that Grigorenko sucks.

I think plenty of people said that he'd never come over and give it an honest try in the first place unless the Wings subsidized him to do so, and at least guaranteed him the roster spot in the first place.

Quote:
Enh. That's mostly hyperbole. It is completely fair to criticize Grigorenko for not being willing to come over and try to earn an NHL spot. It is also completely fair to understand that Grigorenko has a sound, real-world reason why he'd rather not.

Some people like to try and make this into a big deal where they can trash Wings fans about it, but that's mostly just being silly. Any fanbase who has a draft prospect thumb their nose at the team so he can make more money playing elsewhere would have a similar reaction.

The people trying to make this into a shortcoming of Wings fans don't have a problem with Wings fans, really. They just don't understand fandom in general.

Believe me, Wings fans have plenty of franchise-specific flaws to choose from. Getting torqued when a prospect blows off their team to play for more money overseas isn't one of them, though.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:02 AM
joe89

Ugh, the KHL hate is getting old. It's a terrific league with tons of skilled and entertaining hockey, mostly great atmosphere aswell. Not every good hockey player has to play in the NHL.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I really wish the Wings could have found a way to keep Grigorenko on the team that year.
I didn't see the need for Aaron Downey.
Keeping Grigorenko would have taken a valuable roster spot. But I think the payoff would have been worth it.