HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Laptops: brands to avoid

Old
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

vCash: 500
Another vote for Asus.

This laptop works so much better than my old HP one. Don't want to jinx it but I've been using it over a year and a half now without a single problem.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

As far as laptops go I've had an some crappy brand I bought from wal-mart ( ) Acer and now a Toshiba.

The first lappy I didn't have very long. I got my Acer, which did well, except for the fact that it accumulates dust in the fan section incredibly fast. Slowed right down. Though, still did the trick for 3ish years. My buddy says Acers have a problem of the screen not working on boot up, or something. I've had that happen a couple of times. I just pulled the battery out, put it back in turned it on again and it worked.

I now have a Toshiba. For some reason when it starts up it's a little slow, but after that it works fine and fast. The only thing I've downloaded was google chrome. Even before I downloaded anything it started slow. Though, it's a lower end spectrum laptop. Was originally 700ish. Knocked down to around 500 and by buddy got a discount on it, so 400 was the price.

I'd recommend both laptops. However, I don't know anything about computers other than they drive me nuts when they **** up.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I have an Acer and it works just fine. My Dell laptop died out on me after 5 years and a lot of abuse Dell definately is the best, but Acer is a good cheap option imo

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maybe Acer is getting better? I can run battlefield 2 on ultra perfectly. Also, the way the battery stands now gets rid of any heat. My laptop is never hot. Ever.

I've had 3 acers. No problem except the first one which was a dog problem not a laptop problem lol
Tough to say cause BF2 is an older game but try running PC Decrapifier and then running BF2 and see if it makes a difference. For my cousins HP it was like night and day... the amount of crap that company loads up on their machines is laughable. Can't say if that's for sure the reason why Acer's seemed to score lower, I have seen some which were fine, could be a model to model type issue. I can only speak for the Acer I did own (3 years ago) and it was crap due to the build quality and basically slowly started to fall apart.

My nearly 2 year old Toshiba hasn't had a problem and a woman is using it mostly... nuff said Now a days I don't let my girlfriend touch a machine I haven't worked on first in order to woman-proof it. All kidding aside (I know plenty of guys who suck with comps too) it is often human error which leads to the defects in these laptops but with the Acer I left it on my desk for the most part and within 9 months started to have issues. The DVD-Rom stopped working which really pissed me off cause at the time the HDD was ****ing also and I needed to get a new drive and reinstall windows.... no working dvd-rom = /wrists. I decided not to sink anymore money into it cause the think overheated like a god damn ***** and it wasn't cause of the battery... the ventilation/design was just plain bad. Maybe when I get home I'll dig it up out of storage and link you guys the model #, it was an aspire but that isn't saying a lot.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
As far as laptops go I've had an some crappy brand I bought from wal-mart ( ) Acer and now a Toshiba.

The first lappy I didn't have very long. I got my Acer, which did well, except for the fact that it accumulates dust in the fan section incredibly fast. Slowed right down. Though, still did the trick for 3ish years. My buddy says Acers have a problem of the screen not working on boot up, or something. I've had that happen a couple of times. I just pulled the battery out, put it back in turned it on again and it worked.

I now have a Toshiba. For some reason when it starts up it's a little slow, but after that it works fine and fast. The only thing I've downloaded was google chrome. Even before I downloaded anything it started slow. Though, it's a lower end spectrum laptop. Was originally 700ish. Knocked down to around 500 and by buddy got a discount on it, so 400 was the price.

I'd recommend both laptops. However, I don't know anything about computers other than they drive me nuts when they **** up.
That same thing basically happened to mine too. It would collect dust due to the poor build quality/design I was referring to and then would obviously heat up and ware down components and eventually even overheat. I cleaned it up obviously when I would notice it but it became like a full time job practically. I've never seen a laptop with the ventilation designed so poorly.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
XX
... Waiting

Don't buy anything HP, especially the Envy. Mine manages to black screen all on its own, or with minimal movement. You have to bump it or squeeze the case to get the display working again. They also put the bare minimum spec GPU chip in it that performs way under what it should, because it was specifically designed as a cheap OEM piece of ****. It shipped straight from China. Learned my lesson.

I vote for ASUS. Never had a problem with any of their products, be it laptops or computer parts. Quality stuff.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Tough to say cause BF2 is an older game but try running PC Decrapifier and then running BF2 and see if it makes a difference. For my cousins HP it was like night and day... the amount of crap that company loads up on their machines is laughable. Can't say if that's for sure the reason why Acer's seemed to score lower, I have seen some which were fine, could be a model to model type issue. I can only speak for the Acer I did own (3 years ago) and it was crap due to the build quality and basically slowly started to fall apart.

My nearly 2 year old Toshiba hasn't had a problem and a woman is using it mostly... nuff said Now a days I don't let my girlfriend touch a machine I haven't worked on first in order to woman-proof it. All kidding aside (I know plenty of guys who suck with comps too) it is often human error which leads to the defects in these laptops but with the Acer I left it on my desk for the most part and within 9 months started to have issues. The DVD-Rom stopped working which really pissed me off cause at the time the HDD was ****ing also and I needed to get a new drive and reinstall windows.... no working dvd-rom = /wrists. I decided not to sink anymore money into it cause the think overheated like a god damn ***** and it wasn't cause of the battery... the ventilation/design was just plain bad. Maybe when I get home I'll dig it up out of storage and link you guys the model #, it was an aspire but that isn't saying a lot.
Older? It's like a year old. I mean Battlefield Bad Company 2, not the Battlefield 2 game released in 2005.

I can also run Batman in 3D and on ultra.

For a cheap laptop, I don't know how you'd find performance like this in the same price range plus bluray & 3D. My buddies Sony cost $300 more, and it can't run the games with the same graphics I do. Not that mine is the most amazing thing in the world, but for what I got with it, I am a happy camper.

But Ill try running that program and let you know the results. I have no doubt it's probably filled with crap.

The laptop I have actually gets some pretty reviews if you look it up, so I'm not sure.

I have no doubt that Acer has ****ed you over. I've heard their customer service is the absolute worst too (I've never had to deal with them though).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
For what it's worth, I have a Dell XPS 15 and three months in it's working very well. The screen is an absolute thing of beauty and the i7 quad core is working quite nicely.

The thing is, the measure of the computer for me is how well it works after year one. Fingers crossed!

Johnny LaRue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Older? It's like a year old. I mean Battlefield Bad Company 2, not the Battlefield 2 game released in 2005.

I can also run Batman in 3D and on ultra.

For a cheap laptop, I don't know how you'd find performance like this in the same price range plus bluray & 3D. My buddies Sony cost $300 more, and it can't run the games with the same graphics I do. Not that mine is the most amazing thing in the world, but for what I got with it, I am a happy camper.

But Ill try running that program and let you know the results. I have no doubt it's probably filled with crap.

The laptop I have actually gets some pretty reviews if you look it up, so I'm not sure.

I have no doubt that Acer has ****ed you over. I've heard their customer service is the absolute worst too (I've never had to deal with them though).
Sorry but when you say BF2... any BF fan immediately thinks Battlefield 2 not Bad Company

That being said, it's running well obviously then. (now that I know you mean BC2)

Your buddy probably bought a laptop that has a **** GPU but good everything else, so the 300$ is probably merited to some extent, just hope he didn't buy it with gaming in mind With laptops GPU is pretty damn important for gaming, even if you go with a 1200$ laptop if it has Intel HD 3000.... your **** out of luck.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Hizaki
Swifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
For what it's worth, I have a Dell XPS 15 and three months in it's working very well. The screen is an absolute thing of beauty and the i7 quad core is working quite nicely.

The thing is, the measure of the computer for me is how well it works after year one. Fingers crossed!
I also have an XPS 15...got it back in April. So now it's been 6 months without problems

Hizaki is offline   Reply With Quote