HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The NHL Goalie Poll AKA "The Luongo Test" - #3

View Poll Results: Ignoring age, salary, etc. and based on play alone, which goalie is best right now?
Ryan Miller 13 8.90%
Henrik Lundqvist 77 52.74%
Roberto Luongo 33 22.60%
Ilya Bryzgalov 0 0%
Carey Price 8 5.48%
Marc-Andre Fleury 4 2.74%
Cam Ward 2 1.37%
Martin Brodeur 0 0%
Niklas Backstrom 0 0%
Miikka Kiprusoff 1 0.68%
Jonas Hiller 6 4.11%
Jaroslav Halak 0 0%
Jonathan Quick 1 0.68%
Tuukka Rask 0 0%
Tomas Vokoun 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Anyone still want to say Lundqvist is below Luongo? He's on a different level than Luongo. Deserved to be and glad he was voted higher in this poll.
after 1 game?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
after 1 game?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
He is better then Lolluongo.

Luongo is not even a top 10 anymore.

In fact currently he sits in 37th in both GAA and save percentage

Old
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
after 1 game?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
No after their whole careers. Everyone besides a few Canucks fans deep in denial will tell you the same (check out this poll), Lundqvist is far and away the better goaltender. Has been for some time.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Diamonddog01

I'd have to go with Lundvqist. Although Hiller makes a strong case as well.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Currently both Keith Ballard and Michael Grabner have the same number of points. You think the Islanders would trade us Grabner for Ballard?

Old
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
opendoor

Quote:
after 1 game?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I expected to see a huge surge in Lundqvist's votes after yesterday's game. Just goes to show you how myopic a lot of peoples' views are.

Not that there aren't very good reasons for voting for Lundqvist over Luongo, but that so many people rushed to do it after watching the 1 game a year they see him play is pretty funny. What if the game was like the one vs. Vancouver in 08-09 where he gave up 5 GA on 17 shots and basically quit 26 minutes into the game? Would that change a bunch of Canucks fans' views on his entire career to date? Sadly, it probably would.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I expected to see a huge surge in Lundqvist's votes after yesterday's game. Just goes to show you how myopic a lot of peoples' views are.

Not that there aren't very good reasons for voting for Lundqvist over Luongo, but that so many people rushed to do it after watching the 1 game a year they see him play is pretty funny. What if the game was like the one vs. Vancouver in 08-09 where he gave up 5 GA on 17 shots and basically quit 26 minutes into the game? Would that change a bunch of Canucks fans' views on his entire career to date? Sadly, it probably would.
What's your explanation for the numerous neutral fans of other teams who rank players like Lundqist and Miller higher than Luongo? Especially fans that have absolutely no emotional investment in Luongo or the Canucks?

Old
10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
What's your explanation for the numerous neutral fans of other teams who rank players like Lundqist and Miller higher than Luongo? Especially fans that have absolutely no emotional investment in Luongo or the Canucks?
You might want to reread what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor
Not that there aren't very good reasons for voting for Lundqvist over Luongo...
Like I said, there are many reasons why someone would pick Lundqvist as the better goaltender. That's fine. I haven't bothered to vote in this poll yet but I probably would vote him ahead of Luongo as well.

I just find it funny how 30-40 people rushed in here since the game ended to vote for Lundqvist and after last night's game people are talking like it's a self evident truth. If Lundqvist had struggled we wouldn't be hearing any of this.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
As MS pointed out, Luongo has a personality that's tough to like - that has a bearing on how you view somebody. That's the only real explanation how I would assume a "neutral person" would think Miller is better than Luongo (certainly not on a whole body of work):

2010-11 post season:

Both lose their final series in 7 games. Both had two shutouts in that series. Sabres scored 18 goals in their series against the Flyers and the Canucks scored 8 goals in their series against the Bruins. One is viewed by a large number of people as the main reason why the team lost; the other isn't. No rational explanation for this.

I'd rank Hiller over Lundqist & Luongo (Hiller>Lundqist>Luongo); at worst Luongo=Miller.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 10-19-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Because Miller and Lundqvist are the HF's chosen "under appreciated" goaltenders (much like Parise/Datsyuk in the forward crops) even though they get plenty of kudos, whereas players like Luongo are whipping boys because they think they're "overrated" (they actually mean "they have a big and long contract") and well - Luongo plays for the Canucks, which most people have plenty of emotional investment in. We'll see plenty of threads about Bryzgalov being a mistake once the Flyers get in a losing streak, don't worry!

Not that I don't mind seeing people rank Miller and Lundqvist over Luongo, but they make it seem like there's a whole world between them and hold them to different standards (i.e. main "criticism" of Luongo is his "choking" when he has far more key wins and team accolades whereas Lundqvist/Miller are far less accomplished in that aspect).

Old
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
He is better then Lolluongo.

Luongo is not even a top 10 anymore.

So, that must mean he is 37th best goalie in the league then?

We both know that's not the case. If Luongo was not a top 10 goalie, how could 30 GM's vote him as the 3rd best goalie in the league last year? I guess 30 GM's should be fired and given to the hockey experts on HF.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
It's a shame non-Canuck fans are voting in these polls too. IMO Rinne at number 2 is a joke, but whatever. Luongo will get in as top 5 at least.

10-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Haka

It's insane Rinne is at #2. If that's the case, we should just have "whichever Nashville goalie this year benefits from insane defense/shots against counting bias". Lundqvist I could accept simply because he has had some consistency so far in his career. Rinne could reach that, but not yet.

1 great year from Rinne has him at #2... why not just list last year's Vezina finalists then? Oh wait can't do that, Luongo would be in the top 3 then.

Closed Thread