HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coach told me to get a specific player ejected from the game tomorrow night

Old
10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Coach told me to get a specific player ejected from the game tomorrow night

We have a game Wednesday night against a close rival, every year it's a big game, huge rivalry, we're from the same area.

Our coach came before practice yesterday to talk to me and told me that he wanted me to get a specific player ejected from the game (game misconduct) in the first 5 minutes.

He said that this player is the clutch player of the team and that when you piss him off/hit him/..., he goes mad. Nobody ever told me to do this but the coach said that he's fast and that I'm one of the only ones that can keep up with him.

He basically told me to trash talk with him : "I'm gonna fukk with you this whole game", something like that he said, and told me to deliver a solid bodycheck.

Any tips, opinions?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:37 PM
OvenChicken8

If you chirp him and he takes a run at you and cheap shots you, you are looking at getting injured. It would be easier to just drop the mitts with him and fight.

But I'm torn because I don't agree with your coach.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

For point of reference, how old are you?

My opinions stem from the days where good coaches could be looked up to as role models.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
johnny1976

I don't agree with your coach.

How old are you? Trash talking is one thing, but to try to get somebody ejected is another. I wouldn't have a problem trash talking out there, but if you do keep your head up at all times. If he is a hot head, he could wait until he has an opening and smoke you from behind, which could get you injured.

Just my 2 cents.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
mitchrock

TRash talking and hard legal checks to take someone off their A game is a gret strategy. Don't want to see the player ejected. To me it's more satisfying to get in an opponents head and have them ahave a bad game against you. No satisfaction if they're ejected and you didnt' get to see if you could be them.

mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
mitchrock

You should sing the Rolling Stone's "Satisfaction" and see if that gets a reaction.

mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:12 PM
ponder

Your coach sounds like a ****** who takes winning too seriously. Minor hockey should be more about development than winning, from the coach's perspective. If you do follow your coach's advice, and piss off this guy who is apparently a hot head, make sure to watch your back, don't put yourself in vulnerable positions.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Agree with the others here- chirp him, solid clean hits, but it'd be a more rewarding win to get into his head and throw him off his game and beat them with him, their best player- than just get him ejected and win.

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Hal 9000*

It obviously does depend on how old you are. You're coach seems to not care that you'll likely be ejected from the game too, because that's the likely outcome.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Stealthmode16

From the title I came to the conclusion that your coach isn't a very good one, but after reading the post I can't be so sure. If simply hitting the guy (legally) and a bit of beaking is enough to make this guy get himself thrown out of the game then by all means! Just pick your spots and be aware of him retaliating with a cheap shot. You are responsible for your own safety as you always should be in hockey. Play the guy hard and be competitive. There is a line that your coach should NOT ask you to cross, and while it might be close in this situation I don't think he has. You would know better obviously since you know the coach and were there for the actual conversation. We also have no idea how old you are and what level of hockey this is so that also makes it tough to understand your situation.

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's not just your age, but the level of play, the seriousness of the stakes, etc. If it's a middling league, it's kind of bush. If this is a serious hockey league, a developmental league, then all bets are probably off and it's fine. It's not as though the coach is advocating illegal or dangerous behavior, just wanting you to get into the head of a hotheaded player to throw him off his game.

If the league is remotely casual, though, it's pretty cheap.

I suppose the question is whether you want to be known, on your own team and by your coach, as the sort of player who agitates. Not sure what kind of leeway you have to dissociate yourself from the kind of role the coach is asking you to play. You can't really force a player to be a dirty rat, though you can insinuate as a coach that agitator is the only use he has for you, and reward/withhold minutes from a player based on how well you carry out the assigned role.

Are you uncomfortable doing it, or fine with it and just looking for advice on how to be an effective agitator?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

In 24/7 Boudreau told the Caps to target Malkin. Finish every check, hit him at every turn and piss him off because he is a hot head who will take stupid penalties was Boudreau's message (and some other stuff that the profanity filter wouldn't like.) The Caps did as instructed and Malkin delivered like the milkman.

Hockey isn't lawn bowling or curling. It's aggressive and gladiatorial by nature and the emotion involved makes the mental aspect a big part of the game. To ignore that is ridiculous.

And since when has winning become a four letter word?

"It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules but to win." - Vince Lombardi

Finishing checks, hitting someone at every opportunity, chirping a hot headed player is all entirely within the rules. Refusing to play a game strategically because of some "politically correct" moral code is a recipe for losers.

OP -- This is obviously competitive hockey so play hard, play smart, and if you can take a guy off his game by getting in his face then do it. Never make a travesty of the game or hurt someone on purpose. Out side of that, PLAY TO WIN

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Stickmata

Sounds like your coach is a moron and he doesn't think your team is good enough to beat the other team.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
koh19

I'm 21 years old. This is competitive hockey, some guys are semi pro in the league.

By the way, we're not allowed to fight.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
My questions is why would a 21 year old who's been playing hockey for this long ask a questions like this?

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:42 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I've had coaches tell me to target certain players and make their lives miserable since they'll take stupid penalties. I've even told my teammates about certain guys that are a hot headed and that we can chip away at until they take a ton of penalties. Never had a coach tell me to get a guy ejected though.

If I were you I'd just chirp him all game, hit him, give him an extra little shot and he'll probably retaliate and get a few penalties called against him. Just make sure you keep your head on a swivel if you plan on playing it that way though.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Sounds like your coach is a moron and he doesn't think your team is good enough to beat the other team.
Pretty much. Hope you realize that by him saying that to you(OP).

Trash talking and hard clean hits are completely fine and can get players off their game. But if you're going to be doing cheap ****, accept the consequences(ie you getting kicked out, or him cheap shotting you).

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:10 PM
OvenChicken8

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm 21 years old. This is competitive hockey, some guys are semi pro in the league.

By the way, we're not allowed to fight.
Then fighting is by far the easiest way to get him out of the game. If you won't find the hot head on your time that will.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
eyeball11

In my opinion, it sounds like you have a coach who has probably never been particularly successful and probably never will be.

Great people want to beat the best, not the scraps. If you can only win by beating the scraps, what did you win? I always want to compete against the best of the best. I want them at 100% and I want their A game. It's the only way I improve and it's the only way winning means anything.

Playing him hard at every turn is exactly what you should do. Trying to get him ejected, however, is a simple admission that you aren't good enough. Crappy coaching.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
My questions is why would a 21 year old who's been playing hockey for this long ask a questions like this?
This. Not to be a d!ck, but if you need to ask how to take care of this, I'd just play your game and not worry about it.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Listen to your coach talk trash to him, deliver big hits, make him do something stupid.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
I want you to drop Banks like a bad habit. I want him outta the game. Finish him off.....You got it?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
adolfz

Tell him that his sister is a cheap **** all of the school had a go with and that you gonna take his mother out and never call her again. If he's a hothead your coach says, he will jump on you straight away. Than drop 'em and hold your ground well. Show your coach you've got some guts, good luck, son!

adolfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I want you to drop Banks like a bad habit. I want him outta the game. Finish him off.....You got it?

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
ATLhockey437

"What'd you do?!?!"

"..........my job."

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote