HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wounded Soldiers: 2011/2012 Injury Thread (11/13: Sully lower body injury-DTD)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
  #51
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 15,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
cant the Pens put Malkin on the IR for a few weeks so I can replace him on my fantasy team temporarily?
I'll call Shero. This is an emergency.

Shady Machine is online now  
Old
10-19-2011, 04:06 PM
  #52
Alesle
Registered User
 
Alesle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
cant the Pens put Malkin on the IR for a few weeks so I can replace him on my fantasy team temporarily?
I'm sure they are terribly worried about your fantasy team.

Alesle is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
  #53
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,639
vCash: 500
I love it when people don't understand how IR works. It makes my day.

Three things govern the IR:

Quote:
A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.

A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minimum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.
Read the bolded.

You cannot be put on the IR until you've been out at least a week with an injury. And once you're on the IR, you have to stay there for at least a week. That means a player is going to be out of commission for at least 2 weeks, best case scenario, if they go on the IR.

This is why you see often see players put on IR retroactive to their injury-- we can't place them on the IR until they've been out for 7 days, but once we do so, we can retroactively put their salary and roster spot towards going over the cap and limits. So, in other words, if Kennedy is injured and we recall a player tomorrow that puts us over the cap, we are not penalized for going over the cap as long as Kennedy is on IR.

The problem with putting Malkin on the IR is he's day-to-day, and it's been less than a week since he's injured. So, even if we could put him on the IR, it would be self-defeating if the team thinks he'll be ready to go at some point in the coming week.

So, there you go.

Also, we hate your fantasy team.


Last edited by HandshakeLine: 10-19-2011 at 05:41 PM.
HandshakeLine is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
  #54
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,787
vCash: 560
Since we're on the topic of *****ing about fantasy teams, Malkin and Letang on my roster for the week... and my friend wouldn't trade me Neal a couple weeks ago. I also have Luongo over MAF.

These are first world pains, my friends. Big ones.

alcanalz is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
  #55
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Since we're on the topic of *****ing about fantasy teams, Malkin and Letang on my roster for the week... and my friend wouldn't trade me Neal a couple weeks ago. I also have Luongo over MAF.

These are first world pains, my friends. Big ones.
**** Luongo.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
  #56
Mordax
It don't Maatta
 
Mordax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
These are first world pains, my friends. Big ones.
i love that expression

and lulz @ LOLuongo

Mordax is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
  #57
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,432
vCash: 500
I get that Bortuzzo has a knee injury, but are there any reports on what it is exactly? I haven't read anywhere that he's had surgery, so I'm curious as to what the problem is and how long it's going to take for him to come back.

MtlPenFan is online now  
Old
10-19-2011, 08:27 PM
  #58
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,693
vCash: 500
He's back at full practice and possible for the weekend, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

clefty is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 10:52 PM
  #59
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
He's back at full practice and possible for the weekend, so it doesn't really matter anymore.
Who?

jmelm is offline  
Old
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
  #60
Puckstopper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Who?
Bortozzo. And no, I don't know who the hell that is either, and yes, I'm also here for my fantasy team

Puckstopper is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 01:03 AM
  #61
Alesle
Registered User
 
Alesle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I love it when people don't understand how IR works. It makes my day.

Three things govern the IR:

Quote:
A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.

A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minimum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.
Read the bolded.

You cannot be put on the IR until you've been out at least a week with an injury. And once you're on the IR, you have to stay there for at least a week. That means a player is going to be out of commission for at least 2 weeks, best case scenario, if they go on the IR.

This is why you see often see players put on IR retroactive to their injury-- we can't place them on the IR until they've been out for 7 days, but once we do so, we can retroactively put their salary and roster spot towards going over the cap and limits. So, in other words, if Kennedy is injured and we recall a player tomorrow that puts us over the cap, we are not penalized for going over the cap as long as Kennedy is on IR.

The problem with putting Malkin on the IR is he's day-to-day, and it's been less than a week since he's injured. So, even if we could put him on the IR, it would be self-defeating if the team thinks he'll be ready to go at some point in the coming week.
I'm not sure where you got your information, but that's not how the CBA reads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 16.11
(a) A Club may place a Player on the Injured Reserve List only if such Player is reasonably expected to be injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player for a minimum of seven (7) days from the onset of such injury, illness or disability.

(g) A Player placed on the Injured Reserve List will be ineligible to compete in NHL Games for a period of not less than seven (7) days from the date of the injury, illness or disability for which the Player was placed on the Injured Reserve List. A Player will be eligible for activation to play in NHL Games beginning on the 8th day following the date of injury, illness or disability for which the Player was placed on the Injured Reserve List or any day thereafter that the Player is medically cleared to play by the Club physician.

Alesle is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:20 AM
  #62
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Don't know if it's been reported here yet...The Fan said that someone is returning tonight, and it may be Orpik. Strait is hurt and they haven't called anyone else up.

JTG is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
  #63
MrBurghundy
Relax
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Don't know if it's been reported here yet...The Fan said that someone is returning tonight, and it may be Orpik. Strait is hurt and they haven't called anyone else up.
Yeah Josh Yohe tweeted that Orpik sounded like he might be returning.

MrBurghundy is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
  #64
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I love it when people don't understand how IR works. It makes my day.

Three things govern the IR:



Read the bolded.

You cannot be put on the IR until you've been out at least a week with an injury. And once you're on the IR, you have to stay there for at least a week. That means a player is going to be out of commission for at least 2 weeks, best case scenario, if they go on the IR.

This is why you see often see players put on IR retroactive to their injury-- we can't place them on the IR until they've been out for 7 days, but once we do so, we can retroactively put their salary and roster spot towards going over the cap and limits. So, in other words, if Kennedy is injured and we recall a player tomorrow that puts us over the cap, we are not penalized for going over the cap as long as Kennedy is on IR.

The problem with putting Malkin on the IR is he's day-to-day, and it's been less than a week since he's injured. So, even if we could put him on the IR, it would be self-defeating if the team thinks he'll be ready to go at some point in the coming week.
Jeff Carter played on October 15. He was placed on IR on October 18. Three days. Not seven.

It's not that simple, Chi. Unfortunately.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:26 AM
  #65
DreamBeaut
Registered User
 
DreamBeaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,981
vCash: 500
Orpik returning tonight, Neal not in morning skate.

DreamBeaut is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
  #66
MrBurghundy
Relax
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post
Orpik returning tonight, Neal not in morning skate.
Just as confirmation of the Orpik thing...

PensInsideScoop

Quote:
#Pens Orpik to make season debut tonight vs MTL -SK

MrBurghundy is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:31 AM
  #67
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 23,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post
Orpik returning tonight, Neal not in morning skate.
I guess they're just letting Neal have a maintenance day.

wej20 is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
  #68
MrBurghundy
Relax
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I guess they're just letting Neal have a maintenance day.
I hope so. They didn't call anybody else up so I'd assume that's what's happening.

MrBurghundy is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:34 AM
  #69
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 23,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Just as confirmation of the Orpik thing...

PensInsideScoop
Very good news, question is do you pair him with Lovejoy or Engelland? Orpik could cover Lovejoy's mistakes and Engelland and Niskanen have both played well to start the season. Lovejoy needs the be protected from facing other teams best lines so might not be best to pair him with Orpik.

wej20 is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
  #70
MrBurghundy
Relax
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,819
vCash: 500
Posted this in the GDT, but it should go here as well.

PensInsideScoop

Quote:
#Pens coach Bylsma: Neal just maintenance, will play. Orpik is playing for 1st time. Strait hyper extended elbow. Jeffrey is close -SK
What is the recovery time on hyper extended elbows?

edit: Also...

JoshYohe_Trib

Quote:
Team doctors have seen Kennedy and officially diagnose him with concussion. Out tonight.
edit #2:

JoshYohe_Trib

Quote:
Malkin Skated early this morning. Out tonight. Day to day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Very good news, question is do you pair him with Lovejoy or Engelland? Orpik could cover Lovejoy's mistakes and Engelland and Niskanen have both played well to start the season. Lovejoy needs the be protected from facing other teams best lines so might not be best to pair him with Orpik.
I think you pair him with Lovejoy, and once Letang gets back, you sit Lovejoy.

Give Engelland and Niskanen a chance to see what they look like together since they have never been paired up together AFAIK.

MrBurghundy is online now  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:44 AM
  #71
Old Gregg
I'm Old Gregg!!
 
Old Gregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
From Pens Site

11:39 AM:
Lots of updates from coach Bylsma:

•Neal had a maintenance day, will play vs. Montreal
•Orpik returns vs. Montreal
•Strait hyper-extended his elbow against Minnesota
•Jeffrey is getting close
•Crosby continues his progress
•Malkin is still day-to-day
•Kennedy diagnosed with a concussion


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Gregg is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:44 AM
  #72
Pfnf
Registered User
 
Pfnf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tyrol Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Kennedy having a concussion nooo

Pfnf is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:45 AM
  #73
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,934
vCash: 500
Good news about Jeffrey hidden in there. No news on Geno though? Don't they know there are fantasy owners out there that need to know!?

SirBrad is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
  #74
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Very good news, question is do you pair him with Lovejoy or Engelland? Orpik could cover Lovejoy's mistakes and Engelland and Niskanen have both played well to start the season. Lovejoy needs the be protected from facing other teams best lines so might not be best to pair him with Orpik.
Orpik's probably rusty, so he's probably playing a third-pairing role for tonight I would suspect. BUT Lovejoy's struggling, so I don't know if we want to pair them together.

Then again, we probably need to start playing Niskanen-Engelland together going forward. So, I honestly don't know what's best for tonight.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
  #75
MrBurghundy
Relax
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 18,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Good news about Jeffrey hidden in there. No news on Geno though? Don't they know there are fantasy owners out there that need to know!?
Read my post above.

MrBurghundy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.