HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #6: at Columbus, 10/18 (6:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM)

Old
10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
KiedisA

vCash: 500
YES!! Benn's goal was the reason this game is remembered.. Kari was amazing as always.

Now everyone change it to the FC Dallas match..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Wuhuu Stars!

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Yes.

10-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Ryder can't get it in the empty net. ARGH

Same procedure as every game, we always have a thriller till the end of the game.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Great win, not the greatest of efforts but we knew Columbus was going to come out motivated. Really liking Pardy and the D pairs right now, godo to see Robidas dropped down to the 2nd pairing with Souray and Daley-Grossman on the 3rd gives us some nice balance. Souray again has just been amazing.

Gulu's relationship with he Riberio line seems tenuous at best. It would not surprise me if by the end of the year the Benn line is definitely considered the 1st line, atm they're playing like it. Gulu clearly trusts the Ott-Benn-Loui line in defensive and offensive situations and is frustrated with the Riberio line. We'll see if they can resolve it over the season.

The next 3 games are key to determining what this season will be like. We'll live and die by our division play, and we have not looked good the last 2 games on the road, let alone 3 in the West Coast. Gulu will have his work cut out for him shutting down RPG and breaking through Hiller/Quick. I'd be satisfied with .500 out there. Let's hope the team is up for it.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:14 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Also Wandell is quickly playing himself to the waiver wire, press box, or trade block. Gulu seems to have no confidence in him and he's not showing much reason to give it to him. His speed and defensive play, once hallmarks of his game to consider him a solid bottom 6 player have disappeared. He seems now like a top 6 or bust player and he hasn't been playing well enough for that opportunity. Maybe when injuries hit down the line, but Wandell seemed to have more of a role in the Crawford era when we didn't have guys like Dvorak, Fiddler, and Dowell to play physical defensive hockey in our bottom 6.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Benn should get even more exposure now, the goal was highlight of the night on TSN.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:01 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Benn should get even more exposure now, the goal was highlight of the night on TSN.
on versus/nbc, jr & pierre mcquire blamed clb def more than crediting benn. probably a combo of both, but benn's strength was on display there. no other dallas player coulda done that. rick freaking nash was like a fly on benn's shoulder.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
on versus/nbc, jr & pierre mcquire blamed clb def more than crediting benn. probably a combo of both, but benn's strength was on display there. no other dallas player coulda done that. rick freaking nash was like a fly on benn's shoulder.
Don't get me wrong, it was a sweet goal on a solid effort but I tend to agree with those guys in blaming Columbus more than giving credit to Benn. It was atrocious defending that a talented offensive player capitalized on. Still great to see for the home team though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Gulu's relationship with he Riberio line seems tenuous at best. It would not surprise me if by the end of the year the Benn line is definitely considered the 1st line, atm they're playing like it. Gulu clearly trusts the Ott-Benn-Loui line in defensive and offensive situations and is frustrated with the Riberio line. We'll see if they can resolve it over the season.
I think he's more learning his players and how they respond to coaching tactics like that than anything else. He'll have to keep an eye on those guys to make sure they don't get too cute. They're at their best when they play strong cycle, puck possession hockey; all three players have a tendency to try to force the issue a bit from time to time. I don't think he's distrustful of them in the big picture though.

We should expect the Benn line to be involved in all situations, especially defensively. The Ribs line will never be the guys looked upon to lock down the opposition while holding a lead.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Is it possible to have 68 points with 243 penalty minutes? That's what Sourey is projecting at this point. I hate some of the dumb penalties he takes but dear god he's made defenders respect our offensive ability from the blueline. He also encourages the forwards to be ready for the tip. Setting up for tips and rebounds when you aren't the most gifted offensive team can only help.

Benn's goal deserved the win itself. Yeah it was mainly Columbus fail but not every player continues to hound the puck like he did nor do that fire that rifle of a shot past a flailing Mason. I love Jamie Benn. He reminds me of a Rick Nash that tries in the defensive and neutral zone.

Is it last change, matchups, being tired on the road or what? Why do we seem to be twice as bad in the work and effort department on the road? Columbus is a bad team right now and Kari was god-like but against better teams we're behind 2-1 or maybe even 3-1 before the 3rd period even starts. Giving up 40 shots against the better teams in this league will doom us more often than not.

Ryder needs to shoot for the empty net there even if the defender is in a position to potentially block the puck. In their end you take the chance.

I was completely wrong about Columbus. Howsen is going to get fired and Columbus is one of the bottom three teams in this conference if not bottom 5 in the league.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
txomisc

most real exciting goals like that involve luck and defenders being lazy or doing something stupid. Nash could have lifted Benns stick. Benn could have given up on the play. The puck could have went a different direction then it did and never end up on Benns stick. The goalie could have stayed tall instead of going for the poke check and made the save. But none of those things happened so we have one hell of an exciting goal.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote