Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT=Death of "the Code"?

Old
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
DFENS44

vCash: 500
OT=Death of "the Code"?

Interesting look on today's NHL on+off-ice discipline and how the "code" used to be interwoven in the game. Some good and bad points, but on target as a

whole
http://www.japersrink.com/2011/10/14...y-for-the-code

DFENS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS44 View Post
Interesting look on today's NHL on+off-ice discipline and how the "code" used to be interwoven in the game. Some good and bad points, but on target as a

whole
http://www.japersrink.com/2011/10/14...y-for-the-code
This article confuses me. I always thought the "code" was all this BS about not hitting someone on the ice, or waiting for their gloves to be off.

Also,

Show me an instance when retaliation was made that was SOLELY fighting, that resulted in more than a 1 game suspension. (No, the Bertuzzi incident does not count). The McCarty/Lemieux incident happened in the instigator/Bettman, NHL, no? Almost a year after the actual hit.

Also, dirty players existed in the pre instigator NHL, with their acts being much worse than there were today.

IMO, there are 3 reasons for the lack of fighting.

1) Over coaching. Now every game is game 7 of the SCF. You have coaches preaching to their player to keep their emotions in check, thing about the 2 points, etc. Clode does it all the time. The days of the North Stars coach coming into Boston and saying "I dont care about the score, I want every single one of you to get into a fight tonight"/

2) Parity. Hardly any teams are either ever in the drivers seat, or totally out of it before the end of March. One of the most entertaining games I can remember was the last home game of the season in 2010. Why? Because the Bruins were out looking for a fight because they

3) Deepening of the talent pool. I dont have the numbers in front of me but I have seen examples that fights only occurred every 5 or so games. Not the 1 a night guarantee of the 1980s.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
This article confuses me. I always thought the "code" was all this BS about not hitting someone on the ice, or waiting for their gloves to be off.

Also,

Show me an instance when retaliation was made that was SOLELY fighting, that resulted in more than a 1 game suspension. (No, the Bertuzzi incident does not count). The McCarty/Lemieux incident happened in the instigator/Bettman, NHL, no? Almost a year after the actual hit.

Also, dirty players existed in the pre instigator NHL, with their acts being much worse than there were today.

IMO, there are 3 reasons for the lack of fighting.

1) Over coaching. Now every game is game 7 of the SCF. You have coaches preaching to their player to keep their emotions in check, thing about the 2 points, etc. Clode does it all the time. The days of the North Stars coach coming into Boston and saying "I dont care about the score, I want every single one of you to get into a fight tonight"/

2) Parity. Hardly any teams are either ever in the drivers seat, or totally out of it before the end of March. One of the most entertaining games I can remember was the last home game of the season in 2010. Why? Because the Bruins were out looking for a fight because they

3) Deepening of the talent pool. I dont have the numbers in front of me but I have seen examples that fights only occurred every 5 or so games. Not the 1 a night guarantee of the 1980s.

Jdawg* is offline   Reply With Quote